As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My PC has started freezing up, is my video card going bad?

Recently, my PC has started freezing up and displaying a vertical line pattern. It happens most often and regularly in Dragon Age: Inquisition- I haven't been able to make any progress over the past few days because the PC will usually freeze when it's trying to load a save or shortly after. I've also started getting the same type of freeze sometimes when I'm not playing a game.

I have a Radeon HD 7850 and an i5-4460. I've updated the video card drivers, and I checked the GPU and CPU temperatures and they are fine. What can I do to figure out what is wrong? Is it likely the card is just going bad?

Here's what the screen looks like when it freezes up:

k8hdyypr2xyj.jpg

2850-1.png

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yeah, looks like your video card is dying. Is the video card fan still spinning while you're using your PC? Is the video card heatsink all gummed up with dust?

Cleaning the heatsink might help things but usually once your card gets to doing this it's on its way out.

steam_sig.png