As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Boys of the NYPD [Chat] were singing Galway Bay...

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I don't have much nostalgia for 90s games. 80s games, sure.

Look at this list

http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-games-of-the-90s-12.html

No nostalgia needed. It was an incredible period for gaming across all genres, and most of the most important games that would shape modern gaming were released in the 90s.

Now, this is just a personal preference, but I give no shits about any game on that list. Some were fun and I enjoyed them, but they occupy the grey area for me where they're not old enough to inspire nostalgia in me, nor were they revolutionary enough for me to hold them on a pedestal.

Just keep in mind: there may have been some gold in an era, but for every pound of awesome, there's a ton of shit surrounding it.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    due and @spool32 watch this tsm vs unicorns of love game

http://youtu.be/U4k7rEH0iDI

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Someone on facebook

is posting old yearbook photos

and found me in Model U.N.

10380746_10205673532461363_5554376947228326968_n.jpg?oh=e1ded724e641f7103ce1c8e84a38099f&oe=55002C5D&__gda__=1427321912_57342f55eefbeeb18bc473d966c04d7e

eyes so dead. stache so full. oh my.

DUE you could grow a better stache in school that i can now

I think as penance

i started going grey at like 24.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Ocarina of Time has to be the best game of all time

"of time" is right there in the title

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    hello good morning [chat] how are you

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

sleepy

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So I guess my friend is watching Star Trek for the first time thanks to his gf.

Guess she started him on DS9. He is on the earlier seasons still and hasn't hit In Pale Moonlight and such yet.

I look forward to his reaction.

Especially since he is getting his PhD in Chinese politics.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    longer pig

@Greeper‌

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

A lot of people say this

Zelda though.....

zeeeeelda.

Even the word is weird.

if you say it too much it loses all meaning. It doesn't actually really have much to begin with.

• Options
    north korea did in fact withdraw from the NPNT, so I guess that mun had its priorities in order

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it means everything

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    like I'm not in any way pulling an atomika and denying the importance of zelda but

like a lot of things grounded in older console games I just can't really get into it. I guess I'll always be an RPG adventure gamer at heart.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i think its the headbands

but you guys look like you're in some sort of ninja training camp

that's basically what model un is

FEMA DEATH CAMPS

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I don't have much nostalgia for 90s games. 80s games, sure.

Look at this list

http://www.unikgamer.com/tops/top-games-of-the-90s-12.html

No nostalgia needed. It was an incredible period for gaming across all genres, and most of the most important games that would shape modern gaming were released in the 90s.

Now, this is just a personal preference, but I give no shits about any game on that list. Some were fun and I enjoyed them, but they occupy the grey area for me where they're not old enough to inspire nostalgia in me, nor were they revolutionary enough for me to hold them on a pedestal.

Skimming the list I see multiple games that were revolutionary and genre defining.

The 90's especially with the pc and dedicated gpu lead to a complete revolution in gaming. The creation of the cd rom which lead to larger and longer games. The PS1 shifting how consoles released games.

You do not have to put them on a pedestal to realize how many of those games changed the gaming world for the better.

I didn't play PC games in the nineties. So my apathy there is understandable.

The list has a big chunk of console stuff.

But some of it, quality is less the concern at times.

But it is hard to argue that Doom didn't lead to the FPS genre.

Final Fantasy Tactics with tons of story and game system.

I mean it was a time when there was a lot of innovation and a lot of what we consider base systems being in place.

I would say if you want to study games as art or a medium that is the turning point period or at least of the first wave type turning point.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So I guess my friend is watching Star Trek for the first time thanks to his gf.

Guess she started him on DS9. He is on the earlier seasons still and hasn't hit In Pale Moonlight and such yet.

I look forward to his reaction.

Especially since he is getting his PhD in Chinese politics.

I am watching DS9 as my first actual in-order watching of a Star Trek series and I have really been enjoying it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Super Mario All-Stars and Perfect Dark were cheated.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Someone call me when they make Stark Trek

a show about them gool ol' Stark boys wandering the North, having adventures and getting into trouble

someday the Mountain might get 'em, but the wall never will

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

a show about them gool ol' Stark boys wandering the North, having adventures and getting into trouble

how much must I pay you to delete this post and mention it to no one ever

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

Pretty jazzed up.
    And a bit drunk.
    Practicing my speed-reading in the chat thread and trying to get some traction in prep for the holiday thread (though, I don't recall what the final judgement was last year with talk of it not happening anymore, but I'll dream it true regardless).
    It's like one time when I was in my tweens and I tried running onto an already-going treadmill. I wasn't quite ready for what I was trying to do the first time, but through sheer determination, I finally did it (although, at a much slower speed).
    I've gone from falling behind by about 10 pages, to being behind by only 5, and now I'm mostly caught up!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

And also they will have incredible power armor.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    uh I'm catching up on Rebels and this seems familiar

I feel like I saw a couple episodes really drunk

and now I'm not sure if it's worth rewatching

SIGH

• Options
    edited December 2014
    emnmnme wrote: »

I would say Perfect Dark, but I've also avoided every Zelda game since I never did find a moment to immerse myself in that world. I always felt like there was too much to know about the entire franchise/universe and that it was more trouble to get into than I felt like spending when the opportunities arose.
    I hear it can be a pretty alright series, though.

Edit: But Stargate...man, I jumped on that series at the start with the terrible movie, and when the TV show came out, I never let up for one second. My dad and I would over-analyze every episode each week.

Hargaad of Omnar on

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    uh I'm catching up on Rebels and this seems familiar

I feel like I saw a couple episodes really drunk

and now I'm not sure if it's worth rewatching

SIGH

Watch it!

It is good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

how much have you got

• Options
    edited December 2014

how much have you got

A metrocard with .45 cents and a free qdoba meal coupon

Greeper on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spaceship shapes that look alien, and also ancient, and don't use many organic-looking shapes

hm.

The Doomsday Machine - the hollow, glowing center instantly marks it as alien, because our first instinct with spaceships (or ships) is to want everything enclosed. Having bits and pieces open to vacuum, or exposed, or even detached but orbiting a common center of gravity, instantly marks a ship as being either incredibly futuristic or incredibly alien. The battered-metal finish makes it look like it's been kicking around the galaxy being hit by space debris for an impossibly long time.

V'Ger (the actual spaceship part, not the fuzzy cloud) - it's all vast elegant arches and buttresses, along the lines of a cathedral in space but without the rococo surface detail that would suggest human-sized activity or human-sized culture.

Zentraedi Battle Fortress - it's vertical, like the Rock of Gibraltar in space, so you know it's not ours and it must be super scary and mean serious business.

alien and non-organic is kind of tough because making things look organic (especially making them look like sea creatures) is like sci-fi 101 to do something alien

@Abdhyius‌

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I would say Perfect Dark, but I've also avoided every Zelda game since I never did find a moment to immerse myself in that world. I always felt like there was too much to know about the entire franchise/universe and that it was more trouble to get into than I felt like spending when the opportunities arose.

What's to know?

Zelda is a victim unless she's cross-dressing.
    People hide their money in pots.
    Link is a weird euphemism for puberty.
    Gannon is the wizardking of pigs.
    Bombs are a natural resource.
    Faeries deserve to be consumed for their sweet essence, because if you let them live they will drive you mad.
    Water dungeons suck.

That's the whole series in a nut shell.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Edit: But Stargate...man, I jumped on that series at the start with the terrible movie, and when the TV show came out, I never let up for one second. My dad and I would over-analyze every episode each week.
    Each Zelda game stands on its own, I think. (Even though Nintendo has drawn up a big complicated timeline tying all the games together)

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The Wall gets what she wants eventually.

char_34078.jpg

• Options

char_34078.jpg

Not sure what this is referencing, sorry, I don't watch Pokemon

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    That whale probe thingy

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Like everything about it

• Options

char_34078.jpg

Not sure what this is referencing, sorry, I don't watch Pokemon

that's yugioh you casual

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    majoras mask follows ocarina of time directly
    everything else is a stand alone
    there hasn't been a good zelder game since wind waker

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    spacekungfuman did you ever play dungeon siege 3

No. I own it though. Still need to. Did you like it?

its interesting

a weird hybrid of the diablo like game with some more in depth story and quest stuff than is usual, along with some weird action-hybrid combat

its not amazing but its much much better than it should have been and it has some amazing sound design. altho character customisation is kind of ehhh

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    my apartment is the scariest place in the world right now

all of the lights in our stairwell are out so it is total darkness and stairs

eeeeeeeek

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Each Zelda game stands on its own, I think. (Even though Nintendo has drawn up a big complicated timeline tying all the games together)

Yeah Zelda games are like... you'd never know there were others playing them.

They're pretty standard video game fare - you control a young man with a sword and there is an evil sorcerer doing evil shit that threatens the realm and then there is a princess who is magic and does magic shit.

Every game is a different telling of the same story, really. Like, the biggest difference between Ocarina of time and Link to the Past in terms of narrative is that in one, the dark world is the FUTURE

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i liked wind waker because it seemed to change up the usual narrative a bit more than the other zelda games

• Options
  • Options
    spacekungfuman did you ever play dungeon siege 3

No. I own it though. Still need to. Did you like it?

its interesting

a weird hybrid of the diablo like game with some more in depth story and quest stuff than is usual, along with some weird action-hybrid combat

its not amazing but its much much better than it should have been and it has some amazing sound design. altho character customisation is kind of ehhh

This last part confuses the shit out of me with them naming it Dungeon Siege.

Now don't get me wrong, 1 and 2 weren't the most amazing games but one thing they did try to do was to make a unique customization system as you develop your character via choices in weapons and ow you use them in combat.

It was built around farm boy to wizard/ranger/warrior through action and customization. Like the removed that entire part of the game which was its defining feature.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.