Options

Online Donations

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
A friend of mine is going round the country gathering donations for a non profit institution. I'm setting him up with a web page, so that he can tell people to go to a domain that's easy to remember instead of a bank number.

He recently asked me if I can help him set up a way so that people with credit cards can make donations if they want. He has a merchant account, but he doesn't know where to find his Tax ID No, so this has eliminated most of the reputable vendors that would otherwise do this.

Is there anyone who provides this service, where one could make an online POS that goes to a merchant account but doesn't ask for a Tax ID No.?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    If there's no Tax ID, guessing the money could not be claimed as a donation? Some people may not care, but seems shady even if it's not.

Why do they not have their ID? I would get that sorted before asking for donations.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I have no idea why they can't find their Tax ID, they very recently opened a merchant account. I've asked them to get it so many times, and they always come back empty handed. They're old. The one thing I can say is that my wife personally helps with the finances they gather and I've seen them use it for what they say they're using it for. Otherwise, I would think it's fishy too.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I have no idea why they can't find their Tax ID, they very recently opened a merchant account. I've asked them to get it so many times, and they always come back empty handed. They're old. The one thing I can say is that my wife personally helps with the finances they gather and I've seen them use it for what they say they're using it for. Otherwise, I would think it's fishy too.

If my donation didn't qualify as "a donation", then I don't think I would donate... They will have a hard time raising funds when their #1 concern is a perception issue. I don't have a suggestion for a website, just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there won't be any reputable credit card processors that don't ask for a tax ID. They're just trying to cover their own butts, and with new reporting rules, I think they're all going to require that.

Have you tried the nonprofit lookup tool here? http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Exempt-Organizations-Select-Check

If their entity doesn't show up, then I don't think it even qualifies as a nonprofit organization. I'm not an expert in those, but I'm pretty sure you can't just call yourself a nonprofit and donate all of your earnings. You have to actually register as a nonprofit and file an annual tax return. If they're not doing that, then they need to register as one first.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Ask if they know their EIN (employer identification number), its the same thing. Our PTA has to file a 990 every year, so if they don't have this number they are doing something wrong.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Thanks, Djeet. They got me a document with their EIN number... the Tax ID number was on the same document... *sigh*.

Thanks, guys. Guess this can be closed now. My job got a lot easier.

Edit: I was actually able to set up the vendor in under 30 minutes after I got that number. They take 1% of the money processed through them. Funny how easy things are when you have all the right info.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    That's good, glad it worked out.

Just out of curiosity, the tax ID was different than the EIN? What did the form call it? Unless you're talking about a state ID or something, as far as I know "Tax ID" is basically synonymous with EIN (or SSN or ITIN for an individual).

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Glad it worked out!