Options

Bob Saget [chat]

_J__J_ PedantRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
Remember Bob Saget?

danny-tanner.png

And how he was the perfect, loving father and moral compass for his daughters?

fullhouse_l.jpg

Yeah, turns out that is not the real Bob Saget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO7hU7tCmlc

He doesn't much care for his career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BazMeZQEI

But he does love stories of small families, making a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HW4mPZmKPM

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I love that song.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @nexuscrawler‌
    You know what a yellow cab in NYC does that FOR ANY REASON I can get his medallion taken away.

Gouging is never ok

This is a big reason why there were no yellow cabs around after Hurricane Sandy.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Last test (accounting) coming up

Then.. sweet freedoooommmm

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @nexuscrawler‌
    You know what a yellow cab in NYC does that FOR ANY REASON I can get his medallion taken away.

Gouging is never ok

This is a big reason why there were no yellow cabs around after Hurricane Sandy.

that and there were a number of neighborhoods it was easier to traverse by kayak

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    @jakobagger‌ imma be in Copenhagen in March

is there anything work seeing/doing? It'll be work related so evening activities would be cool

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    nexuscrawler‌

Gouging is never ok

that and there were a number of neighborhoods it was easier to traverse by kayak

Also multi-hour long gas lines.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Will I cant believe you are still reading that fan fic.

it is just fascinating to me. he is so earnest!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh that was the newsroom series finale

That explains why it was so heavy handed

Eh

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    omg 154 favourites on tweet

am i famous now

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Newsroom was so bad

so so bad

• Options
    nexuscrawler‌

Gouging is never ok

Also multi-hour long gas lines.

so cabs should've been allowed to charge $1000 a ride obviously.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    That's the automated surge pricing, which as soon as a human could reasonably be expected to respond, they cancelled and made all rides free and refunded all the rides that people took at the peak surge price.

Gouging is never ok

Depends on what you mean by gouging. If we're talking overcharging for essential services during an emergency, then I agree. And so does Uber (or at least the people in charge want it to seem like the company agrees). Which is why they reacted the way they did.

But normal rate hikes, like Uber does automatically based on demand, I do not equate with gouging and I see as an essential and valuable part of their service. They get more drivers on the road and they allow me to pay more and actually get a ride if I need one that badly vs not beig able to get one at all.

If they were the only option, I might feel differently. But as things stand, the best for me as a consumer is to have it both ways.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Eh

yeah, they tied all the "loose" threads together to make a coherent narrative out of the whole thing while expertly avoiding talking about the season 2 flub.

The 6 episode arc was really good though. A lot less fluff, tighter storytelling, decent payoff... if Sorkin ever does more TV I would rather he focus on a couple 6 episode seasons a year as opposed to one 12-13 episode thing where he tries to carry a single story through all of it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    omg 154 favourites on tweet

am i famous now

And you won't share the tweet here?

how can we appraise your fame?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Everytime I watch that FF trailer, I keep thinking when they are fighting in the grass, the car is like 10 feet behind them and it all started with "pull over, I gotta take a whiz", and they have to clear the area out each time first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The Uber issue is one of those things where it might make sense to have a human in the loop when the surge multiple hits a certain percentage. This is going to end up more of a PR black eye then it could have been if someone had been paying attention faster.

• Options
    That's the automated surge pricing, which as soon as a human could reasonably be expected to respond, they cancelled and made all rides free and refunded all the rides that people took at the peak surge price.

Gouging is never ok

Depends on what you mean by gouging. If we're talking overcharging for essential services during an emergency, then I agree. And so does Uber (or at least the people in charge want it to seem like the company agrees). Which is why they reacted the way they did.

But normal rate hikes, like Uber does automatically based on demand, I do not equate with gouging and I see as an essential and valuable part of their service. They get more drivers on the road and they allow me to pay more and actually get a ride if I need one that badly vs not beig able to get one at all.

If they were the only option, I might feel differently. But as things stand, the best for me as a consumer is to have it both ways.

Sometimes maybe they shouldn't be driving. Like UBER paying drivers more to drive in blizzards is likely to get someone killed.

Of course UBER doesn't give a shit because they don't give a shit about their driver's insurance anyway.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Eh

yeah, they tied all the "loose" threads together to make a coherent narrative out of the whole thing while expertly avoiding talking about the season 2 flub.

The 6 episode arc was really good though. A lot less fluff, tighter storytelling, decent payoff... if Sorkin ever does more TV I would rather he focus on a couple 6 episode seasons a year as opposed to one 12-13 episode thing where he tries to carry a single story through all of it.

If Sorkin does more TV I want him to abandon the whole love triangle thing he does in every damn show.

Except West Wing.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Gouging is never ok

Sometimes maybe they shouldn't be driving. Like UBER paying drivers more to drive in blizzards is likely to get someone killed.

Of course UBER doesn't give a shit because they don't give a shit about their driver's insurance anyway.

That is not the conversation we're having right now though. Sounds like you really dislike Uber regardless.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2014

Gouging is never ok

And the people who actually believe that services like Uber are going to drive the other cab services out of business have bought into that union's talking point hook, line and sinker.

If anything, Uber is going to make them up their game a little bit - there is too much demand for transit for uber to supplant all options, but they can in the process of making a buck make the other guys look incompetent and bad at their job, which more or less forces them into improving their product.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I feel like the hate-boner for uber and the tech industry in general gets a little ridiculous sometimes.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

Gouging is never ok

right. the alternative is what we see with yellow cabs - wait on hold for an hour on their dispatch line and maybe or maybe not get a cab sent out.

it's hard for me to see surge pricing as an inferior alternative.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Eh

If Sorkin does more TV I want him to abandon the whole love triangle thing he does in every damn show.

Except West Wing.

but how else will he work through these weird issues he has if not via the magic of fiction

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Eh

impromptu jam session! let's go guys!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Heychatbros:

Any of you know about immersion blenders?

My mom wants one for christmas. I think they're not a gimmick, I swear I saw some legit chef using one on TV once.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Sorkin's sexism is really problematic

It's like he builds up strong female characters only to reduce them to mewling children because they like a boy

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I feel like the hate-boner for uber and the tech industry in general gets a little ridiculous sometimes.

I think your perspective may be a little warped here - the resentment for both of those things is very localized and not a major social trend, AFAIK

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Yellow cab has an app. They generally have one for each city. Works okay. I've used it a couple of times for Houston and I got a cab in about 10 minutes or so.

• Options
    I have never had a good experience in a Boston cab. The card machine is always "broken", the driver is always a complete asshole, blasting music, and it ends up costing me $40+ because we accidentally miss a turn or this way is faster. Scum of the fucking earth. Ive had some mediocre uber drivers but never one as aggressively bad as every taxi I've taken here.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Heychatbros:

My mom wants one for christmas. I think they're not a gimmick, I swear I saw some legit chef using one on TV once.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-immersion-blender/

Seems like a good place to start. The "step-down" recommendation is $35 if you aren't looking to spend $100.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Eh

Except West Wing.

but how else will he work through these weird issues he has if not via the magic of fiction

I suggest therapy, as I am a testament to its effectiveness.

• Options
    Sorkin's sexism is really problematic

It's like he builds up strong female characters only to reduce them to mewling children because they like a boy

I didn't feel this way about Newsroom at all, especially the last season.

But I guess this is true for past things he has done? I dunno, I never watched sports night, and what of west wing I did watch didnt seem to have this problem...

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I will propose to my future wife/husband/pillowchan in an uber because that is how much they mean to me

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Heychatbros:

I don't know any brands to recommend or whatever, but they are totes not a gimmick

• Options

Gouging is never ok

And the people who actually believe that services like Uber are going to drive the other cab services out of business have bought into that union's talking point hook, line and sinker.

If anything, Uber is going to make them up their game a little bit - there is too much demand for transit for uber to supplant all options, but they can in the process of making a buck make the other guys look incompetent and bad at their job, which more or less forces them into improving their product.

It's pretty easy to outdo someone when your core business philosophy involves simply ignoring laws you don't like.

the cabbing industry definitely needs to modernize but lots of those regulations are actually reasonable and protect the riders.

• Options
    @Donkey Kong‌ i enjoyed this story on uber, regular cab drivers gouging and how ... ahem... effectively... Nevada dealt with it vs. Uber

https://medium.com/@blakeross/uber-gov-29db5fdff372

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Heychatbros:

Immersion blenders are those hand held blenders right ? Ain't nothing gimmick about that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Heychatbros:

I've got a little cuisinart one I've used for like sauces. It's a couple years old and still works great although I rarely use it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

I see both sides of it. They have great programs and are filling needs, but their cavalier attitude toward regulations and their lack of foresight regarding safety and insurance is worrisome

This discussion has been closed.