Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    because yeah you do have roma

yeah, gypsy is not an acceptable term here really, either, but people use it because they don't know not to

it has taken on an imagery of being "a whimsical free-spirited person" which is problematic in and of itself

it's an attractive word but its contemporary use is pretty problematic

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i have only had one bad experience with uber, where a guy took a super long way out of coolidge corner to south station. it ended up costing me like ten bucks more than it should have or something like that. i contacted uber and they were very responsive and refunded the majority of my fare. they were like soooo sorry and i was like it's k the driver was actually really nice, it was a pleasant drive. p sure it was an honest mistake.

also i like dogs

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Fuck I hate the internet

Looking for a municipal acronym, AMV, and all I get is fucking weeaboos talking about their "anime music videos"

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    I do find it funny that if it gets them around town a little better the liberal paradise of PA turns into Galt Gulch all the sudden

liberal only when it is convenient is the true mark of a demoncrat :rotate:

u sonuva...

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    for lunch...

hot and spicy shrimp

or bourbon chicken?

Second. Minus the chicken.

I'm not drinking fucking bourbon for lunch.

I'm all out.

And you can't just go through the checkout with a bottle of bourbon at 1pm in this quaint midwestern churchy town. I'd have to get random shit to go with it. You're telling me to choose between 6.20 for bourbon chicken and 25 in liquor and probably another 14 in groceries to hide it among.

Can you put a price on happiness?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Once a family of travelers settled down near where I lived in CT. They took over an abandoned house and tried to extort the town to get them to leave. It didn't end well, there were a lot of police.

and that family was led by Randy Quaid.... http://www.today.com/id/39257855/ns/today-today_entertainment/t/randy-quaid-wife-free-after-squatting-arrest/

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have only had one bad experience with uber, where a guy took a super long way out of coolidge corner to south station. it ended up costing me like ten bucks more than it should have or something like that. i contacted uber and they were very responsive and refunded the majority of my fare. they were like soooo sorry and i was like it's k the driver was actually really nice, it was a pleasant drive. p sure it was an honest mistake.

also i like dogs

I LIKE DOGS TOO

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    will can we have an anime thread

only if it's agreed that after five pages i can ban any and all participants at my discretion.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    post resume over the weekend.

recruiter contacts me at 9AM to see if Im willing to relocated to Norwalk, CT. Ehhhh.

recruiter contacts me to see if im interested in working in the travel/tourism industry in LA.
    I most certainly am not.

i got three calls this morning to various places. this morning's crop of tech recruiters knew the difference between java and javascript!

check yo employable skills privilege!

god damn, i gotta get in on this bonanza

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I do find it funny that if it gets them around town a little better the liberal paradise of PA turns into Galt Gulch all the sudden

This is unkind.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I bet if ubers were driven by trained corgis or shiba inus chat would be 100% behind the service.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I mean I work for a tech company startup and the work we are doing is genuinely good

But I am suspicious that a lot of these companies are well meaning or not well meaning tech bros who think they can solve a problem with an app and all the new problems the app causes are just

Well

Someone else's problem!

well let's be fair here. it's not like non-tech business owners are doing it principally out of social benevolence. they're looking to make a living out of filling a need better than it's currently being filled.

it's a mistake to regard the tech industry as benevolent saviors, but it's also unfair to hold them to a higher standard of social responsibility than we do other businesses.

That's their whole thing though! Like all companies say they're trying to make the world a better place but it's the core tenant of virtually all of these tech companies. They're super braggy and TED talky about it in a way that say, proctor and gamble certainly is not. So... I guess I do sort of expect them to maybe be slightly better than other companies?

Oh man we're changing the world! Even employees are expected to buy into this. And they aren't just another business, they're enormously profitable and powerful and a lot of them are charging head first into regulatory grey areas and they have the capital to absorb the consequences

They're doing cool stuff and I'm not exactly wringing my hands over it but they're cause for concern

• Options
    oh god... noooooooooooooooooooooo

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223830/

must.... not......... buy...................................... xcom fever................................................... OVERWHELMING

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

only if it's agreed that after five pages i can ban any and all participants at my discretion.

se++ had an anime thread and one of the mods just kept adding anime words to the banned words list (and if you wrote them you got infracted)

I think I got infracted for "pantyshot"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Xn9TFVl.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    so i got these 'fully cooked, water-added ham steaks' from my jerb

i imagine they are mcnugget-style recombined from some slurry and then run through a uv oven or whatever other horrifying process

but they're tasty, they heat through quickly, and a half a ham steak is like 90 cals, with 60% of that being protein

sry natural world but this is my life now

• Options
    "All of the sudden" is a weird construction.

It's usually "all of a sudden" but that is also an odd phrase really

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

This is unkind.

Pfff. Galt's Gulch has nothing on PA. For one, it's not run by super-villains.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

i have found that the anti-uber cadre are either from NYC (which is the only city in the US with a large-scale functional taxi fleet) or from places where taking a taxi is super-uncommon.

hedgie has an enormous axe to grind with uber and really holds up the virtues of municipally-regulated taxi companies but then again he lives in bumblefuck nebraska or something and he might as well be ranking and commenting on the relative virtues of unicorns and pegasuses for all the pertinence it has to his personal life.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

se++ had an anime thread and one of the mods just kept adding anime words to the banned words list (and if you wrote them you got infracted)

Maybe Will can make the policy forum wide

• Options

i imagine they are mcnugget-style recombined from some slurry and then run through a uv oven or whatever other horrifying process

but they're tasty, they heat through quickly, and a half a ham steak is like 90 cals, with 60% of that being protein

flash forward

chu is backlit so we can't see his face hunched over some tiny container

close up on the container as we hear horrible gnoshing and slurping noises

i'm about to win an EGOT for this.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Cheap ham steaks are the kind of food that I buy because of all the reasons you stated, I eat maybe two, then my body revolts hardcore like WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING THIS IS NOT FOOD. And then the smell of them grosses me out and I have to wait another year before trying again.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

i have found that the anti-uber cadre are either from NYC (which is the only city in the US with a large-scale functional taxi fleet) or from places where taking a taxi is super-uncommon.

hedgie has an enormous axe to grind with uber and really holds up the virtues of municipally-regulated taxi companies but then again he lives in bumblefuck nebraska or something and he might as well be ranking and commenting on the relative virtues of unicorns and pegasuses for all the pertinence it has to his personal life.

I believe the correct plural is pegasi will

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

Cheap ham steaks are the kind of food that I buy because of all the reasons you stated, I eat maybe two, then my body revolts hardcore like WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING THIS IS NOT FOOD. And then the smell of them grosses me out and I have to wait another year before trying again.

yeah i just had it for the first time with a couple over easy eggs

i do not feel spectacular donk

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

this is outrageous I was caught by a technicality

eiKS4ED.png

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I don't think the yellow cab fleet would have ever done something like the uber pickup system though. They would have no reason to improve their service that much.

• Options
    i wonder what percentage of that tbsp of butter i consumed

probably no more than half? idk

*glares at mfp*

• Options
    water-added means you get less for your monies! my precious monies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i should eat better =/

• Options
    Huh. Apparently in the 1500s, "sudden" saw much use as a noun as a surprise or abrupt event.

• Options
    all i want for christmas is the ability to react to my own posts

actually no wait all i want for christmas is the ability to ban one person at my choosing

919UOwT.png
  • Options

i use those for cooking, like if i'm making beans or greens or whatever. they're cheap and convenient.

usually i'll chop them up and brown/ fry them in the bottom of the dutch oven, then deglaze and use as a base for whatever i'm cooking. works fine!

i mean it's legit pork. it's just not cured.

"pressed ham" is the mcnugget stuff you're thinking of. avoid that.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I believe the correct plural is pegasi will

Will no one think about the unicorns and pegasi?!?

• Options
    water-added means you get less for your monies! my precious monies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i should eat better =/

this only helps if there's an equivalent alternative tho

for instance sometimes i can get crazy cheap boneless skinless chicken thighs (like well under 2 bucks a pound)

and they're water added which is a little bit of a rip but the only non-water added version we sell is like the free range hormonal free etc etc

and the base price is so much higher that the weight differential is shit on multiple times

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I saved a bird on friday.

It had tried to fly into a neighbor's car but their windows were up, so it landed stunned in the middle of the road. I was worried that it might have just died as it was really still, but its eyes started blinking. I carefully moved it out of traffic into my yard and watched it. About 30m later it flew off.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Huh. Apparently in the 1500s, "sudden" saw much use as a noun as a surprise or abrupt event.

In the 1990s it saw much use as the nick name for legendary hockey player Mats Sundin

fyi

Sparvy on
  • Options

actually no wait all i want for christmas is the ability to ban one person at my choosing

urself???! look in mirror, goobey.

• Options

actually no wait all i want for christmas is the ability to timecop one person

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Tav wrote: »
    @jakobagger‌ imma be in Copenhagen in March

is there anything work seeing/doing? It'll be work related so evening activities would be cool

Here we go:

Top recommendation: Probably one of the most unique/interesting things in the city is Christiania, and entire neighbourhood squatted in the seventies and still existing on its own weird, grey-area semi-legal terms. Full of hippies and drug dealers, but no hard drugs only weed. It might feel a bit sketchy after dark but really isn't.
    I don't know a lot about the purely tourist-y stuff, but if nothing else there's lots of good bars, particularly in the Nørrebro and Vesterbro neighbourhoods. (I'd probably be up for a beer or two). Bars and pubs close much later than they seem to in the anglosphere, and thus you can spend your entire night in bars without having to deal with clubs if you don't want to. Some bars are special morning bars that open at 4 am.

Lots of good cinemas, if you're into that. Everything is usually original audio plus Danish subtitles. I guess any comedy stuff is in Danish (and also, from what I've seen of Danish stand-up, pretty shit). Live music-wise you'd probably be able to find something that appealed to you. My brother works at Vega which is one of the bigger venues (I think the biggest one that isn't just a big old sports arena).

Tivoli is I think the oldest amusement park in the world and has a lot of romantic charm still. But maybe not open in March.

Nyhavn is the touristiest place of them all, and where photo illustrations for 99% of all articles about Copenhagen come from. It is quite pretty, but for a similar canal experience with slightly less tourists I recommend Christianshavn.

If you like older history (I do but I'm a nerd so) there's a bunch of castles and museums but those are easy to find. Amalienborg is where the queen lives and Rosenborg is HQ for the Royal Guard and also where the crown jewels are displayed. Christiansborg is the home of the parliament and has tours of that and of the royal suites. Tøjhusmuseet was my favourite museum when I was ten, it's 100% weapons, uniforms.

There's a bunch of quite fancy restaurants but I'm not rich or grown-up enough to know much about them.
    r/denmark has some alright lists of attractions, for all that the sub is a hive of provincialness, unexamined privilege and casual sexism/racism.

But I guess I can make my own lists also(none of them are exhaustive but should give you some things to check out):

BARS I like:
    Ølsnedkeren, Nørrebro. Brew their own beer,German bartender is cute in a tough way.
    Mikkellers, Nørrebro. Also brew their own beer. Mikkeller is apparently an internationally renowned microbrewery although I only know them from Copenhagen.
    Viking, Nørrebro. A more old school, divey place than the first two but great selection of beer.
    Drone, club but rock-oriented instead of electronic.
    Temple Bar, nothing particularly special though it's alright, but notable for its shameless appropriation of Irish culture. Also trivia nights.

In Vesterbro, Kødbyen is a concentrated area of hipster-y bars and clubs. It's alright. In particular I recommend Mesteren & Lærlingen.
    Outside Kødbyen, Vesterbro is also full of hipsters and their bars. But also still a lot of the run down brown bars for alcoholics that used to be the norm before gentrification. It's not always easy to tell the difference from the outside.

In the inner city (Indre by, city, middelalderbyen) I like Din Nye Ven.

CONCERT VENUES
    Vega
    Ungdomshuset (originally a squat, still run by Anarchists. Lots of metal and punk but occasionally some other stuff too)
    RUST
    CultureBox
    Christiania: Loppen, Operaen, Børneteatret
    Pumpehuset
    Forum
    Operahuset
    Koncerthuset

That should give you something to look into, or if nothing else something to avoid. Feel free to ask questions and if I think of more things I'll bat signal you again.

@Tav

jakobagger on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

also i like dogs

I LIKE DOGS TOO

But they are all secretly giant robots now.

This discussion has been closed.