As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for high-end headphones

Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
So my family has been bugging me for Christmas ideas and I thought i'd make suggestions for some headphone ideas.

I'm looking for something with a focus on attacking, powerful bass, warm natural vocals, and precision highs.

Most importantly, I want Over-Ear headphones that do not leak sound. The last pair of over-ear headphones I bought had a huge issue leaking sound, to the point where everyone and their mother could hear it once I cranked my mp3 device past the halfway volume mark.

I'm looking for over-ears that will offer total immersion without disrupting others around me, at a reasonable price (anywhere between the $100-$300 max range).

I feel that Dr. Dre's Beats are highly overrated for the money; with enough research I hear you can get the same quality as Beats at a fraction of the cost, but I have no idea where to go.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/142270/audiophilia-headphones-amps-daps-and-empty-wallets

Is a great resource. Headroom (http://www.headphone.com/) is actually quite good with their ratings and items they sell.

• Options
    Oh wow, headphone.com solved my problem with stunning accuracy!

Big thanks, I was able to order what I needed

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ii was just about to come in here and recommend a pair of Shure SRH-840's, as they are a fairly nice pair of closed-back circumaural headphones that have pretty good bass and also aim you at both the haedphone thread here and headphone.com, but I see schuss has this covered!

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    You have ordered so I supposed this will be too late, but just in case anyway. Bang & Olufsen make some really great over-ear ones called BeoPlay H6 and while they normally come in at $400 or even a bit more, they did a limited edition one with blue leather together with Pepsi (something which is pretty invisible so they still look nice) and those have been selling for a little over half that price and still are if you're lucky to find them.

Here is a link to a review: minimallyminimal.com/blog/bo-beoplay-h6-review

And a picture of the blue ones:
    bang-olufsen-pepsi-capsule-collection-blue_H6.jpg?resize=550%2C513

Since it's all leather and all the color varies and the ones I picked up are somewhat darker blue. Regardless they are really comfy and sound is amazing.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Ii was just about to come in here and recommend a pair of Shure SRH-840's, as they are a fairly nice pair of closed-back circumaural headphones that have pretty good bass and also aim you at both the haedphone thread here and headphone.com, but I see schuss has this covered!

What a coincidence, that's the exact pair I ordered! This is kind of spooky

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    I feel that Dr. Dre's Beats are highly overrated for the money; with enough research I hear you can get the same quality as Beats at a fraction of the cost, but I have no idea where to go.

For anyone reading this, Beats headphones are equivalent to a pair of $30 headphones at best. The only reason they are so expensive is because you are paying a shit ton of money for marketing and that's it.

Please do not buy Beats headphones.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Uncle PK wrote: »

For anyone reading this, Beats headphones are equivalent to a pair of $30 headphones at best. The only reason they are so expensive is because you are paying a shit ton of money for marketing and that's it.

Please do not buy Beats headphones.

My room-mate bought a pair. These things leak so badly, I listen to his music at the same volume he does. Junk, junk, junk.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...