As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] - Docking request denied.

marty_0001marty_0001 I am a fileand you put documents in meRegistered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
EliteDangerous_Logo2.png

Elite Dangerous is an open sandbox space game, funded by a Kickstarter campaign and released on 16 December 2014.

It has:
  • Space trucking
  • Space dogfighting
  • Space exploration
  • A 1:1 model of the real actual Milky Way galaxy with its 400 billion stars, each of which you can visit
  • Really fucking awesome sound effects
  • Single player (NPC only) and multiplayer (human players share the same galaxy). Both game modes are always-online.

This list is expected to expand with more features as the devs get to them, including more ships, walking in stations, planets, and aliens (if aliens aren't already in there).

Should I get Elite Dangerous?
Do you like space? If so then you should get this game.

You will best be served by watching other people playing this game and then deciding if it's for you: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Elite:%20Dangerous

Or just watch this video of the travel tutorial mission in HD with your sound turned way up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5rfV-zcU4

I can't find Elite Dangerous on Steam
It's not on Steam, you have to buy it directly from the developer's website as a ~4GB download for $60USD:
https://www.elitedangerous.com/

It looks a lot like Star Citizen, should I get that instead?
From some cursory research the two games do appear to be very similar. But Star Citizen is roughly a year away from release.

Should I get a joystick?
The game controls very well with either of a joystick, 360 pad, or kbam.

360 pad users: you may have to turn on your pad before you launch the game, or it will be dumb and not recognise it.

NEW PLAYER GUIDE

How do I fly this damn thing?
The Sidewinder starter ship is a competent ship for trying out the different careers you might be interested in (although I haven't tried mining yet).

Do most of the tutorials to learn how to control your ship: flying, targeting, attacking, rebalancing your engines/weapons/shields power, supercruising, docking, landing and takeoff.

Pay attention to blue things on your HUD: the blue markings next to your speed/throttle indicate your optimal speed for getting a good turning circle (this is important in dogfights). The blue zones on your speed & distance indicators show how slow & how close you need to be to safely exit supercruise - try to keep the ETA counter at about 7 seconds. If you go much faster, you won't be able to decelerate in time, and will overshoot your destination.

The game manual is available from a link in the game launcher.

How do I become a bounty hunter?
For your first bounties, it is probably wisest for you to cruise a couple of Unidentified Signal Sources (USS) to do some basic 1 on 1 fights. Enter supercruise and just fly between planets & stations within any system. As you approach or pass destinations, you will occasionally see 'Unidentified Signal Sources' popping up in your view, or on your navigation menu. Slow your ship down, point towards the signal, and target it. Then you'll be able to exit supercruise at the point of the signal.

You'll probably find a few ships there, they'll be squares and triangles on your radar. Point your ship towards them, then target them (assuming you're close enough). Your ship will start scanning the target, which will take about 5 seconds. If the ship's status is Wanted, deploy your hardpoints and start firing!

Collect your bounty from the Security Office of a nearby station. You can only collect from the office that issues the bounties - check your Transactions tab, and it'll tell you which government to collect from. Look in your System Map to find a local station run by that government.

Once you're comfortable fighting, start patrolling through Resource Extraction Points (REPs). These are located in the rings of most ringed planets - fly close enough and a handful should show up on your HUD. Once you're in the REP, fly around for a minute or so, and pick a fight with Wanted targets that you think you can handle. More ships will show up over the course of the fight, both pirates and security forces!

How do I become an explorer?
Pick a nearby star system from the galaxy map. You don't need to discover previously-undiscovered systems - you'll just be scanning stars and planets on behalf of mining companies for their current status. As you cruise around the system, you'll encounter "new astronomical objects". Target these, get close, and then let the scanner do its work. Once the star/planet is identified, you can sell the data to Universal Cartographics at a station (scroll to the bottom of their data list to find the Sell button).

You may want to buy a fuel scoop for longer voyages, to save yourself buying fuel every few jumps. Circle a star with the scoop deployed, at a distance at which your ship temperature is nearing 130%.

How do I become a space trucker?
Find delivery missions in space stations from the station's bulletin board. Delivery missions have a cylinder and a single arrow in their icon. Beware 'sourcing' missions where you have to buy the cargo yourself - these have two arrows.

You can only accept missions for which you have enough cargo space - the Sidewinder has 4 by default.

How do I become a space pirate?
Fit a Frameshift Drive Interdictor to pull ships out of warp. The interdictor module behaves like a weapon - you need to assign it to a fire group in your ship menu (headlook-right). Try to get within about 20Ls of your target and fire it; then try to stay behind the target until the blue bar is full. If successful, you and your target will fall out of warp - possibly quite suddenly, so watch out for collisions!

More new player guides to come.

COMMANDER LIST
Human players are distinguished from NPCs by the CMDR prefix. Give me your names and I will add them!
marty_0001: minrat
Uriel: jarofmoldymayo
BYToady: BYToady
Falx: Falx1984
Weaver: weavermatic
Farangu: Farangu
monsterror: monsterror
Mysst: Captain Loosen
Lasbrook: Lasbrook
Invectivus: Invectivus
Depressperado: Throb Hardmeat

marty_0001 on

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got a joystick arriving next week on the same day I can get this game.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Hello Elite thread.
    We should put our names in the OP so we can fly around the 'verse together.

I'm assuming most of us are the same names as here, but still.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Right now I'm off in empire space helping experiment with flipping systems.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I'm in a private group and just bounty hunting.

Made about a million (well, more than that but I've spent all the rest on upgrades).

So much fun.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Down with Ho Hsi Corp!

Long live Jet Comms Limited!

Come to Ho Hsi and make a difference!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This looks really good.

I think I might pick it up eventually.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    monsterror wrote: »
    Hello Elite thread.
    We should put our names in the OP so we can fly around the 'verse together.

I'm assuming most of us are the same names as here, but still.

ROLL CALL

Mine is minrat.

Also last night I just started the game proper after the tutorials. I picked a delivery mission, then discovered that I actually had to buy the cargo for the customer, not deliver it from one to another. The cargo was about 3000CR to buy, and you only start with 1000. Mission failed! Great start!

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I bought an Eagle! This thing is better than a sidewinder!

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Things I am thinking of doing:

Buying this game even though I have no idea if it will run on my Surface Pro 3
    Buying a 400 dollar joystick even though I don't know if it is a good game

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    You deffo don't *need* a joystick for flying in this game to feel good; an Xbox controller feels great and all the important in-flight controls are mapped to it, though a handful of functions require you to press a key

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    group of us in PA Vent right now. Gonna do combat zones in Ho Hsi, thanks to our own Klyka getting a drive started to give control of the system to Jet Comms and inciting a Civil War

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I'm a solitary chap, how viable is single player in this? Can you switch from one to the other?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm a solitary chap, how viable is single player in this? Can you switch from one to the other?

Yes. The progress you make in solo mode is saved in all three modes (and vice versa)

You can be space trucker, space explorer, space bounty hunter, or space pirate all in solo mode

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oof.

Kind of glad my card got declined due to foreign nonsense. Went to see if there was something wrong with my card and that Amazon Prime membership renewed this week

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    An assassination mission with a $131,000 reward is probably a bit beyond my abilities in the starter ship, right?

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    What this game is teaching me even before I bought it is that freakin' nobody in South Africa buys joysticks. I went to all the major outlets yesterday and all I found was some Genius "Babby's first joystick" looking thing and some complex looking monstrosity from some company I've never heard of with a suspiciously low price. I'll have to start shopping online I guess...

• Options
    Yeah if this guy could just get off the god damn landing pad so I could use it

That'd be great

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Is this perfectly compatible with a 360 controller or is there some finangling involved?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    100% compatible but you are going to want a keyboard nearby. It's not a couch game.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Okay, that's good because I used to play Oolite and that was a pain.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    You can alter the controls on the controller though.

With my new setup, I don't ever need to use the keyboard. I just set LB to more of a "shift" button, and set yaw to LB+Right Stick, landing gear to LB+Back, FSD to LB+Left Click, and the various Set throttles to A, B, X, and Y.

• Options
    I wasn't having huge success figuring out the 360 pad so I dug up my old MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK 2 JOYSTICK (which is apparently not cheap to find on ebay these days, so I'm glad I found it intact) and flying works super smoothly. I'm kind of bummed I won't be able to play this on my tv from bed but my monitor is higher resolution anyway

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    I'm using a 10 year old Saitek X52 flight stick I bought for my dad for flight sims he never uses any more and it is nice. Really really nice. There's a bit of drift because of it's age but you can adjust the deadzone inside the game options. I'm still a bit annoyed they've made the always online DRM mandatory but Frontier have done so much right and they really got it right with regards to peripheral support on this one.

Playing with KBAM or Gamepad is fine but if you can justify the expense go for a flight stick, it adds a whole lot to the immersion.

• Options
    Hooray, I got my first bounties! That was easy; just turn up to an asteroid belt, or cruise to an unidentified signal source on the way to something else, then cycle targets until you see someone who comes up as Wanted. Then let the lasers fly!

Now I need to decide what my first weapon upgrade will be. Probably multicannons?

• Options
    Ok so I bought Ellen: Degeneres. If it works ok on my Surface I'm going to order a Warthog as a Christmas gift to myself for being a very brave boy.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    ugh, I usta play a game called space merchant which was an old web browser game. You started out as whatever race in a starter ship and traded goods or what not, but when you were in space people could shoot you down and steal your stuff or you could become a bounty hunter and junk. This game makes me think of that old web browser game I played, and now I want to play this because it looks amazing.

• Options
    Ok Ellen: Degeneres is a pretty good joke name for this.

Jealous of all these fancy joysticks. I'm gonna be using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro next to my keyboard for anything I can't map on the joystick.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    That's what I have. It works pretty well for this. The only thing is when you're binding controls to it, for the pitch/yaw/roll etc., make sure you set an axis for each function, instead of push down for down, left for left etc. I did that at first, and I always rotated at the same rate, which was slightly annoying.

• Options
    Gotcha

• Options
    What kills me is that I had a sidewinder precision pro, but I killed the stick back when X3: Reunion was the big shit and it always yawed to the left.

• Options
    Oh man. A couple of space trucker missions in and I feel the hooks already.

just gonna get a big ole cargo ship and make a killing on the open market

• Options
    Trading was one of my favourite things in EVE because I was terrible at shooting spaceships

I'm looking forward to playing some buy low/sell high without paying a monthly subscription fee

• Options
    Also had a fun moment when I was heading into a station to deliver my second mission. Got a nice big SCANNING DETECTED so I gunned it for the safety of the station before somebody got too greedy

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Artreus the space cops will randomly scan you when you're entering stations to scan for contraband.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ooohhh. Yeah. I'm still learning a lot of super basic stuff for this game. And slowly adjusting controls as I learn what the various functions on the ship are.

Definitely why I'm sticking to space-trucking for now. Have my shit together nowhere near enough to actually start hunting and killing other players. I'm still having trouble figuring out how to get to/stop at various locations in space

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bought... game bought... downloaded...

Single player combat training is the tutorial right?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Artreus wrote: »
    I wasn't having huge success figuring out the 360 pad so I dug up my old MICROSOFT SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK 2 JOYSTICK (which is apparently not cheap to find on ebay these days, so I'm glad I found it intact) and flying works super smoothly. I'm kind of bummed I won't be able to play this on my tv from bed but my monitor is higher resolution anyway

that's the old Joystick I have! it's like 200 bucks on ebay now? that's ridiculous!

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Falx wrote: »
    Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bought... game bought... downloaded...

Single player combat training is the tutorial right?

I don't know what that is, all the tutorials I played were in the main game!

• Options
    Anybody getting much in the way of hints at a story? It's what I loved about escape velocity back in the day. Visiting spaceport bars during trade runs and hopefully picking up stories or missions that deal with the various factions in the game

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    quote="Tube;31515192"]Ok so I bought Ellen: Degeneres. If it works ok on my Surface I'm going to order a Warthog as a Christmas gift to myself for being a very brave boy.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, why that one? It seems very well made but it looks like you could get a Saitek X-52 (or X-55) for cheaper and that one comes with a throttle.