As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SteamOS] Next-gen Master Race discussion

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Okay, they just announced SteamOS version of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands the Pre-Sequel and I was wondering how the statistics looked now.

Out of 3838 items classified as "games" (yeesh!), 697 are listed as SteamOS/Linux compatible. So that's 18% of Steam's library. The number of games has over doubled from last February (333 games) and gone up by a factor of 11.5 since February of 2013. Source

Sadly I couldn't find how many games in total Steam had for those dates.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    It's given me the incentive to actually try to setup a SteamOS dual-boot on an old HD. I tried to do it last night but I had a problem where, when I connected the IDE drive, it wouldn't see the primary SATA SSD.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Steam Machines due out March 2015 at GDC.
    http://www.notoperator.com/2015/01/06/steam-machines-officially-launch-2015/

Might explain why there's no Steam Dev Days this year.

Here's what many believe to be a near final controller design.
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/steam-client-beta-update-reveals-latest-steam-controller-design.245634/

Latest numbers are 4339 "games" on Steam, with 872 of those being available on Linux, which is around 20%, an increase of 2% since September. Seems to be slowing down.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also, several of the partner companies have released their pre-delay 2014 Steam Machines sans Steam if you were interested in any of the hardware.

Interesting to see Valve continue on with the project now that Windows 10 doesn't have any restrictions on where you can download stuff (I suspect Gabe's anger at Windows 8 disallowing any software on Win 8's Tileworld that was not from Microsoft's app store).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'm actually pretty excited about that controller. I really want to try it out. My PS3 controllers just aren't ideal. I hope it doesn't cost $texas

steam_sig.png

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also, several of the partner companies have released their pre-delay 2014 Steam Machines sans Steam if you were interested in any of the hardware.

Interesting to see Valve continue on with the project now that Windows 10 doesn't have any restrictions on where you can download stuff (I suspect Gabe's anger at Windows 8 disallowing any software on Win 8's Tileworld that was not from Microsoft's app store).

It's prudent planning. Divorcing themselves from being only on Microsoft's platform (if Valve is successful, of course) means they no longer sink or swim based on Microsoft's decisions, whether they be the feared walled garden, or something else that MS decides to whip up.

• Options
    edited January 2015

It's prudent planning. Divorcing themselves from being only on Microsoft's platform (if Valve is successful, of course) means they no longer sink or swim based on Microsoft's decisions, whether they be the feared walled garden, or something else that MS decides to whip up.

Oh sure, though the massive negative reaction to Windows 8 has pretty much killed off any kind of walled garden until, well, whenever a future Microsoft CEO gets the hubris bug.

The bigger question is whether game makers will feel an urgency to translate their stuff to Linux -- many of them were equally pissed at Microsoft and motivated to diversify, but Windows 10 may have cooled that fire. As you noted, Linux adoption seems to have slowed down.

But hey, the platform's there, maybe for if/when Microsoft gets stupid again.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    I've gotta try to get my SteamOS dual-boot up and running again. Do you think the fact that I upgraded my GPU have anything to do with it not booting up anymore?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Has anyone pulled off Steam OS on a thumb drive?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    (I suspect Gabe's anger at Windows 8 disallowing any software on Win 8's Tileworld that was not from Microsoft's app store).

Probably only part of it. The biggest part is that the Windows App store itself is a pretty big competitor to Steam.

Thankfully for Gaben the Windows 8 App store games are pretty much just freemium junk, doesn't look like that's changing any time soon.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    darren66 wrote: »
    (I suspect Gabe's anger at Windows 8 disallowing any software on Win 8's Tileworld that was not from Microsoft's app store).

Probably only part of it. The biggest part is that the Windows App store itself is a pretty big competitor to Steam.

Thankfully for Gaben the Windows 8 App store games are pretty much just freemium junk, doesn't look like that's changing any time soon.

The Win 8 app store has been a massive flop in general, in terms of developer participation. Even the more limited Steam Linux collection kicks the crap out of it.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm actually pretty excited about that controller. I really want to try it out. My PS3 controllers just aren't ideal. I hope it doesn't cost $texas

Yeah, I've been very interested in the controller and wanted to try it since they announced it.

I'm happy with the 360 controller, but I could see myself using the Steam controller as my primary one, unless it turns out I hate the touchpads.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The Win 8 app store has been a massive flop in general, in terms of developer participation. Even the more limited Steam Linux collection kicks the crap out of it.
    Because it's fucking WINDOWS. The only way people were ever going to put stuff on there is if Microsoft made that the only way to install anything on Windows and they're not THAT stupid.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh, sweet. I've been seriously looking at getting a iBuyPower SBX, I can wait a few months now and get possibly refreshed model that comes with SteamOS pre-installed.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Because it's fucking WINDOWS. The only way people were ever going to put stuff on there is if Microsoft made that the only way to install anything on Windows and they're not THAT stupid.

The Skulls of the Shogun folks attempted this.

They immediately regretted it and put that sucker on Steam as soon as they possibly could.

• Options
    I wonder if we're finally going to see some of the cheaper, home streaming-focused boxes start to come out. I know that HP announced their Stream Mini at CES, which is a tiny, but functional, Win8 box for $179. Looks like it might have enough hardware to run Home Streaming... Might be attractive if they could somehow do a build option that was even cheaper where they left off the Win8 and stuck SteamOS on their instead.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    so apparently my new Nvidia 970 has caused my copy of SteamOS to stop working, and it won't function properly enough to download the new driver, or even load the network properly, so it's boned. Looking at reinstall options now.

EDIT: Apparently Valve's installer STILL won't due dual boot. I don't think I'm going to bother then. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Steam Machines due out March 2015 at GDC.
    http://www.notoperator.com/2015/01/06/steam-machines-officially-launch-2015/

Might explain why there's no Steam Dev Days this year.

Here's what many believe to be a near final controller design.
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/steam-client-beta-update-reveals-latest-steam-controller-design.245634/

Latest numbers are 4339 "games" on Steam, with 872 of those being available on Linux, which is around 20%, an increase of 2% since September. Seems to be slowing down.

I imagine that is because most people who wanted to back port their games have done so.

The most recent surprise back port has been BioShock Infinite which I didn't see coming at all.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder if we're finally going to see some of the cheaper, home streaming-focused boxes start to come out. I know that HP announced their Stream Mini at CES, which is a tiny, but functional, Win8 box for $179. Looks like it might have enough hardware to run Home Streaming... Might be attractive if they could somehow do a build option that was even cheaper where they left off the Win8 and stuck SteamOS on their instead.

Intel's new stick pc is 1gb ram 8gb storage and runs linux for 89$, power through hdmi coming soon. Valve needs to partner up and bundle the controller for a $100 streamer box.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This would be SO awesome if it worked! This is exactly what I would want. Does anyone know if Steam in-home streaming can take advantage of Gamestream compatible hardware?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The Skulls of the Shogun folks attempted this.

They immediately regretted it and put that sucker on Steam as soon as they possibly could.

It wasn't just the platform -- Microsoft actively fucked them over hardcore. You can read the saga here if you're interested.

That was, what, the sixth or seventh time Microsoft said "we're going to put a bunch of games on PC this time, really!" and then botched it.

• Options
    I don't know if the actual release date was mentioned for the Steam controller before but it looks like the date and a possible final design have leaked:

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/36997/20140913/steam-controller-release-date.htm

steam_sig.png

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I really don't like that added analog stick. Seems like a waste putting in training wheels and I'd much rather have the dpad there because it'll be far more useful once you get used to the touchpads. I hope there will at least be a software option to turn it into a dpad proxy or maybe a dpad version of the controller.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Analog stick is awesome for movement. Much better than keys or a dpad.

• Options
    edited January 2015

But the whole point of the touch pads is that they're supposed to replace the old traditional twin stick design. It flat out says in the report that the only reason the analog stick exists is as a set of training wheels before moving on to the touchpad. I'd much rather just have a version with the d-pad instead of a waste of space stick if the stick only exists as a transition tool.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

But the whole point of the touch pads is that they're supposed to replace the old traditional twin stick design. It flat out says in the report that the only reason the analog stick exists is as a set of training wheels before moving on to the touchpad. I'd much rather just have a version with the d-pad instead of a waste of space stick if the stick only exists as a transition tool.

Let's face it, Valve is trying to change the way people have controlled games for nearly two decades. The analog stick is their attempt to get people to actually try it instead of having them stay with what they're comfortable with.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Let's face it, Valve is trying to change the way people have controlled games for nearly two decades. The analog stick is their attempt to get people to actually try it instead of having them stay with what they're comfortable with.
    Right, and I get that reasoning, but I'm still saying that for those of us who don't run away from new things like a Neanderthal seeing lightning for the first time it'd be nice to have a non-FisherPrice "My first Steam Controller" edition. The best way to learn a new control scheme is to just dive and start using it and I, as a consumer speaking soley about himself and his own preferences, would much rather have the d-pad there for all the things d-pads usually get used for because I'm just gonna go ham on those touchpads and learn to use them right out of the start gate.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Here's the interesting part of the article to me:
    PC Gamer added that the completion of Valve's Steam Controller was the final piece that would precede the availability of most Steam Machines, which indicates that Steam Machines will also begin to release at the end of the year.

Which suggests that the year-long delay might have been due mostly, or even entirely, to the controller development.

Man, Valve definitely stakes their business on thinking differently. (Which isn't a criticism.)

• Options
    The controller is, really, the most important aspect of the entire thing since it's how the user will interact with the system and as such will inform a lot of other decisions regarding the system's design. It makes total sense that everything else would hinge around its development.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    If the controls were fubar'd, the entire steam machines concept would have failed out of the gate.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    So, how does Steam in-house streaming work these days? Really need to upgrade my computers, and was thinking of getting a Thinkpad notebook (that can't game) and then eventually an almost-headless gaming PC and stream the game to the Thinkpad. Crazy? Will it work, and well? All Steam games supported?

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The biggest problem with steaming right now is that when a game crashes or has some startup problem you often have to get physical access to solve it.

I think If you had Remote Desktop setup you may be able to work around these issues, but it's definetly not flawless.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The biggest problem with steaming right now is that when a game crashes or has some startup problem you often have to get physical access to solve it.

I think If you had Remote Desktop setup you may be able to work around these issues, but it's definetly not flawless.

I use Multiplicity to tie all my computers together at home. Works like a charm and being able to swap over to my HTPC and control it as if I was physically downstairs while actually being upstairs on my desktop (and vice versa) is super handy. I also use it to watch Netflix on my Surface Pro while doing long jumps in Elite because Multiplicity will let me hear the audio off of the Pro on my desktop and since my Pro is its own thing I can just use it via touchscreen while I'm flying in game. My home network is basically some god damn sci-fi shit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The weird thing about in-home streaming that I ran into is the volume. If my gaming desktop has the hardware volume on the speakers turned up and the Windows software volume turned down, the audio is going to be really quiet when I stream it.

Otherwise, yeah. It has worked surprisingly well for the action games I've played with it.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    The weird thing about in-home streaming that I ran into is the volume. If my gaming desktop has the hardware volume on the speakers turned up and the Windows software volume turned down, the audio is going to be really quiet when I stream it.

Otherwise, yeah. It has worked surprisingly well for the action games I've played with it.

Hell, I tried Rocksmith on it a few months back. Far from perfect, but it kind of worked, which was amazing for a game as sensitive to delays as that one.

• Options
    edited February 2015

967 out of 4678=20.6%, which is up slightly from the 20.09% from earlier in the year.

Hopefully more people will jump on board with this once Valve rolls out more info at GDC this year.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm surprised no one has bumped the thread up for this. Valve will be unveiling their SteamVR hardware at GDC next week:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/23/steamvr-valve-virtual-reality-gdc/

Somewhere, TSR is flipping his shit.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has bumped the thread up for this. Valve will be unveiling their SteamVR hardware at GDC next week:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/23/steamvr-valve-virtual-reality-gdc/

Somewhere, TSR is flipping his shit.

Interesting stuff, though it's probably more appropriate for the VR thread.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    So, how about those Steam Links? $49 box for streaming Steam content in November, $99 if bundled with a Steam Controller.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    One thing I might put in SteamOS's favor is how unlike previous generations, modern PC's eclipsed modern consoles right away. So a comparable box in price will probably be comparable in power, and in a few years even better. The XBO and PS4 are stuck where they are.