As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Licensed Fiction or self-published fan work?

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
I know we've got at least a few published authors here on the boards but I don't want to jump into WB at the moment.

Anyway, I'm basically three chapters in to writing a Shadowrun story. It's far from finished and I know it's going to take a few drafts anyway and probably a long way off but I'd like to have it be officially recognized in some way.

Now my question is how would I go about getting it to Catalyst since they're finally starting to put out SR fiction again? I mean I can change a few things around and just self publish it on Amazon or something, but I'd like for it to be canonized basically. I'm not in it for the money because I know my writing will not be that good (not for a first timer) so I'm not really interested in that.

I recall a few years back that one of the guys here got their young adult novel published but that was a whole unique setting and plus iirc, he kinda lucked into it which from what they said was kinda the standard (you literally have to know people and have them push your work forward so people will want to publish it).

newSig.jpg

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    hey, no worries, TWB can come to you, no charge.

So, you're running up against a few issues there-- most prominently, that properties that are already owned by someone aren't something you can publish through traditional publishing in the first place, so you pretty much would have to go through them, if at all. And that, even if a game company publishes fiction for their game, they may not have open submissions.

Now, if they have a fiction division, they might have a submissions process... but the odds aren't great there either, for the simple reason that a lot of official fiction done through publishers as a game or other property tie-in are usually either:
    *commissioned by the publisher by working with established authors
    *written by in-house writing staff or freelancers with an established voice
    *some other, similar arrangement

That being said, if the publishing division has a Web presence, look to see if they have a submissions guideline! It can't hurt to find out. (Well, it might, but it's kind of a constant toe-stubbing, door-slamming kind of pain. You'll probably get used to it, if you decide to pursue any kind of writing.)

and hey, there's always fanfiction.net, right?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    @Crimsondude is/was a freelancer for Catalyst for Shadowrun. May be able to shed some light on things.

You probably will get a better response at the official Shadowun forums at www.shadowruntabletop.com

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I guess I kinda figured since I knew Adam Jury, Bull and Ancient History way back when, was kinda wondering...

I haven't been to their site in years though, guess I better start.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess I kinda figured since I knew Adam Jury, Bull and Ancient History way back when, was kinda wondering...

I haven't been to their site in years though, guess I better start.
    Bull is still with Shadowrun (he runs Shadowrun missions). I think Adam Jury resigned from Catalyst a few years ago and is working on different projects.

8i1dt37buh2m.png