As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Game Production?

InxInx Registered User regular
So a couple of friends and I are working on a miniature/card game that we'd like to eventually try to sell to people, and we've been researching production lately but we've come across a couple of snags:

1) Where to even have the cards/paper products for the game printed. I know there's a Minuteman Press near me but I'm not sure they're really that kind of establishment.

2) Where the hell to get retail boxes for the game. I haven't got a clue where to start.

We've got just about everything else under control, just those two things elude us and I've kind of taken the lead on the project because reasons.

Any ideas?

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Have you guys looked at Uline?

Retail Boxes.

Also here is a DIY link list from Board Game Geeks.

What kind of game is it?

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    I have dealt with Uline before for big shipments of stuff and they are fantastic. Pretty expensive but a great product and really fast shipping. Print shops would be able to print out your Cards and paper product you probably have some local to you. The miniatures I am not sure where you would go to get some molded but it may be something you have to do on your own.

• Options
    I'd never heard of Uline, I'll check them out.
    NSDFRand wrote: »

What kind of game is it?
    It's sort of a card game with board game and wargame elements. Essentially, you have a deck of cards that represent spells, equipment, and battlefield effects, and you have a mini that represents your spellcaster. You move the mini around the board trying to wipe out your opponent by playing up to a certain amount of spells per turn.

Ziac45 wrote: »
    I have dealt with Uline before for big shipments of stuff and they are fantastic. Pretty expensive but a great product and really fast shipping. Print shops would be able to print out your Cards and paper product you probably have some local to you. The miniatures I am not sure where you would go to get some molded but it may be something you have to do on your own.

The minis we have under control. I'm in touch with a few companies that would be able to work with us on this. The minis are more a matter of getting the money.

• Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    Inx wrote: »
    I'd never heard of Uline, I'll check them out.
    NSDFRand wrote: »

What kind of game is it?
    It's sort of a card game with board game and wargame elements. Essentially, you have a deck of cards that represent spells, equipment, and battlefield effects, and you have a mini that represents your spellcaster. You move the mini around the board trying to wipe out your opponent by playing up to a certain amount of spells per turn.

That sounds really similar to Mage Wars. May be something to look into before you invest a lot of money into it. Miniatures and board games are a really competitive market and pretty hard to break into.

• Options
    I googled it and checked out some pictures - I'm at work so I can't research too in depth, but from looking at pictures it looks a lot more complex than what I'm putting together. With any luck we're distinct enough that it'll be just fine.