Options

[chat] with Tay Sway

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I've seen 21 christians beheaded by ISIS.

I feel like that's an honest statement, regardless of whether or not I was standing there as it happened.

I feel like it is not, because that's not how people use "I've seen"

people add "on TV" or "a video of"

without it you meant in person

It's more subtle than that, heavily relies on context, but I think the point remains that it's extremely rare that the distinction is unclear. For example:
    "I've been there. That's really what separates me from most of these other bloviators. I bloviate, but I bloviate about stuff I've seen. They bloviate about stuff that they haven't."

It's clear the intent he wants to convey is that he was there for the things he saw. To say they were separate thoughts: "I was there. I saw stuff." That's just disingenuous.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bunch of fake gamer girls in here, playing Depression Quest.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Wait, how does that make sense?

We're filthy casuals, but not fake gamers.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I feel like that's an honest statement, regardless of whether or not I was standing there as it happened.

maybe it's a language issue?

Because I've seen a lot of soccer and football and basketball games but I've never been to one.

I've seen two LoL world championships. Never been in the room when they happened. I've seen Jupiter, but never through a telescope.

etc.

It is a language issue, but it's not mine. Yeah, these examples work. It doesn't work the same way for "I saw a dude get killed".

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I hate the election thread and regret every time I click in it. But I feel a sense of responsibility to contribute.

I want to participate but fffffffffffffff

[chat] and the more transitory topical threads are enough yeah? And maybe the SCOTUS one when something interesting like the redistricting thing happens?

Ted Olson belongs on the bench, btw.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

It's probably a palette cleanser after you spend a few hours pretending to be a little girl sexing dolls together.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    cart life

now that's a depressing game

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    geth wager 1 point on 70 hours

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    a

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options

It's more subtle than that, heavily relies on context, but I think the point remains that it's extremely rare that the distinction is unclear. For example:
    "I've been there. That's really what separates me from most of these other bloviators. I bloviate, but I bloviate about stuff I've seen. They bloviate about stuff that they haven't."

It's clear the intent he wants to convey is that he was there for the things he saw. To say they were separate thoughts: "I was there. I saw stuff." That's just disingenuous.

well O'Reilly's quote is: “I’ve seen soldiers gun down unarmed civilians in Latin America, Irish terrorists kill and maim their fellow citizens in Belfast with bombs.”

I don't know anything more than that, does somebody have the whole paragraph that's pulled from?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think the context of being a journalist changes things in regards to the authority of statements.

If Cronkite or Cooper says on the record, "I saw ______ happen in a war zone," if they don't have the addendum of ". . . in photographs/on TV/in an online video," the implication there is that this was first hand.

But Bill O'Reilly is such a ridiculous buffoon that I don't really care if Fox legitimately addresses his many questionable statements coming to light. Nobody watches his show for the journalistic integrity on display.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    a

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    double

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think a big part of the problem is they also hit a design issue. If you want to make cases similar to iPhones(one big metal piece) things like easily removable backs and batteries become nearly impossible.

You could make a side loading slot for your SD card but that also takes up space.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I doubt O'Reilly lying in a way similar to Brian Williams will make anybody on the planet think less of him.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    lol sorry guys I was getting error messages like woah and it wasn't showing on refresh either

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Geth geth Geth geth geth geth

• Options
    I hate the election thread and regret every time I click in it. But I feel a sense of responsibility to contribute.

[chat] and the more transitory topical threads are enough yeah? And maybe the SCOTUS one when something interesting like the redistricting thing happens?

I would really like to see a bunch of very technical lawyers from disparate, specialized fields on the supreme court. It would be the best of both worlds, because when a technical issue comes up they would actually have someone who understands it to write the opinion (this is very rare historically) and when the issues are broader, the justices would be coming at them somewhat fresher than someone who sat on a circuit court of spent years in academia thinking about the big ticket issues from a theoretical basis.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The BW's thing is weird, because for some reason you are supposed to remember a helicopter ride 10 years ago where nothing happened but your network reported it like you were almost shot down and landed early. The rest of the retellings sound easily like other memories blurred together. NBC's response now after originally creating the original weird fiction is "How dare you exaggerate what happened to you! People need to trust you are bringing them the truth!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I doubt O'Reilly lying in a way similar to Brian Williams will make anybody on the planet think less of him.

That's kinda my point; the people who care about ethics in journalism don't pay any attention to O'Reilly, and the people who do pay attention to him wouldn't believe anything negative about him anyway.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I love headlines that sound like they're straight of conspiracy fiction

http://spacenews.com/20-year-old-military-weather-satellite-apparently-exploded-in-orbit/

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Can we just have an algorithm redistrict with the intent of representative government based on census data? It seems 100% insane to allow people to manually participate in this process. I mean, come the fuck on, America!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I think I'mma go see the new Cronenberg tomorrow.

Haven't said that in a while :biggrin:

• Options
    Can we just have an algorithm redistrict with the intent of representative government based on census data? It seems 100% insane to allow people to manually participate in this process. I mean, come the fuck on, America!

gerrymandering is so insidious because it reinforces power structures.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

gerrymandering is so insidious because it reinforces power structures.

spool and skfm been talking some revolutionary shit recently and i'm over here cheesin

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

We can, but we'd have to vote on it, and Congress is never going to vote themselves out of a job.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I would really like to see a bunch of very technical lawyers from disparate, specialized fields on the supreme court. It would be the best of both worlds, because when a technical issue comes up they would actually have someone who understands it to write the opinion (this is very rare historically) and when the issues are broader, the justices would be coming at them somewhat fresher than someone who sat on a circuit court of spent years in academia thinking about the big ticket issues from a theoretical basis.

I would like to see more judges in the vein of Earl Warren.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Tay Sway had this [chat] but we are moving on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UbViuK4fY

• Options
    edited March 2015
    idk you guys

I think in light of the defense that many on the left vigorously put forward (and still cling to) for Dan Rather after he used forged documents to try and sway a Presidential race in the closing days of the contest, there is much to atone for and trying to rip O'Reilly a new one for one sentence in a book, devoid of context and reasonably argued as sensible or at least understandable, smacks very much of partisan targeting rather than a concern over journalistic integrity.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Personally, I don't believe federal politics should even be local, so I would be happy to see people assigned to districts with a random number generator. Or better yet, to just hold house elections at the state level, like the senate. I think the idea of your congressman going to our federal government to argue for a sweet heart deal for his home town seems off. Better to let the federal government deal with big pictures and make broad allocations which can be divied up at the state level while the federal government focuses on bigger issues.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    idk you guys

I think in light of the defense that many on the left vigorously put forward (and still cling to) for Dan Rather after he used forged documents to try and sway a Presidential race in the closing days of the contest, there is much to atone for and trying to rip O'Reilly a new one for one sentence in a book, devoid of context and reasonably argued as sensible or at least understandable, smacks very much of partisan targeting rather than a concern over journalistic integrity.

And no point really given O'Reilly has no journalistic integrity to start with.

• Options

we can't because that's racist.

I'm serious, this is the reason why we can't.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I suggested something similar to this the last time it came up and fairly liberal posters shouted me down because it would get rid of majority minority districts and black/latino/jewish/etc representation.

Which led me to ask "what is more important: that the will of the people is more accurately reflected independent of race/gender/creed, or that we have a number of minority representatives at the expense of ceding control of the house to whomever drew the lines last?"

This debate has happened.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I love Amon Amarth's synchronised headbanging

it's one of the simpler joys in life

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Guys

Im super excited about Firewatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lyHZIzW8A

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    idk you guys

And no point really given O'Reilly has no journalistic integrity to start with.

But Quid, his show has the no spin zone! That just bleeds integrity!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    no one likes my post about lou pai :'[

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.