Options

Hoho[chat]

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I didn't do Romeo and Juliet till my senior year. I did Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Hamlet, and Taming of the Shrew, and Othello over the years before we got to Romeo and Juliet.

I did Romeo and Juliet freshman year, Julius Caesar sophomore year, and Macbeth and Halmet senior year (junior year was devoted to American literature).

The combination of senioritis and Hamlet is not great.

Taming of the Shrew was my senior paper. That was pretty good for senioritis. Freshman year we did classic literature, sophomore year was world lit, junior year was American lit. Senior year I had options. I did medieval English lit which was Beowulf, Tristan and Isolde, various other bits from Le Mort de Aurthur, the Canturbury tales and a few other bits I am forgetting for half the year. Second half was a pure Shakespeare class.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    if you make a very, very convincing fake, doesn't it then become real

Eddy

fakes always have to be more real than the thing itself because they dont have actuality to fall back on

ok

if we measure realness by a situation's proximity to its mother simulacrum then yes, because of the nature of the replica versus the inevitably failed attempt of the "real" to fit what was once imaginary

but of course there is only existence and the void

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    can I be real son?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Eddy wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    if you make a very, very convincing fake, doesn't it then become real

Eddy

fakes always have to be more real than the thing itself because they dont have actuality to fall back on

ok

if we measure realness by a situation's proximity to its mother simulacrum then yes, because of the nature of the replica versus the inevitably failed attempt of the "real" to fit what was once imaginary

but of course there is only existence and the void

existence, the void and punani according to late wittgenstein

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Strangely I did not read a single American playwright in high school. But there's no accounting for the pathetic anglophilia of the American school system.

You never did Our Town? I think I ended up doing it twice. Once in Middle School and once in High School.

• Options
    That was a high quality defenestration

You just don't see that any more.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I remember doing Shakespeare freshman year was Romeo and Juliet. I was not excited then.

Sophmore year we did Julius Caesar. A much better play and still pretty accessible to high schoolers.

I think we did Macbeth senior year. I kind of slept through Senior English so I am not sure. I was forced to read Wuthering Heights though. I did not like that novel.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wuthering Heights is like your soul going through chemotherapy

Ludious on
  • Options
    Blintzes for dinner was a good choice.

Still eating at home but easy to cook and eat.

Also delicious.

#sickJewthuglife or something.

I don't get hashtags.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I've been listening to this in the background while coding today. It seems good so far. People looking for an intro to the Tanakh / Hebrew Bible / Old Testament might want to give it a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY&list=PLh9mgdi4rNeyuvTEbD-Ei0JdMUujXfyWi

as a bonus, the speaker isn't an old white dude. Not that makes it any more (or less) correct but it's a pleasant change from the norm.

her implied jewish exceptionalism always throws me off a bit but its much more reasonable when u get to the meat of wat shes sayin

yeah. Like the Yale series about the ancient greeks (same channel) the first lecture has a lot of generalizations that get filled in later

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I've been listening to this in the background while coding today. It seems good so far. People looking for an intro to the Tanakh / Hebrew Bible / Old Testament might want to give it a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-YL-lv3RY&list=PLh9mgdi4rNeyuvTEbD-Ei0JdMUujXfyWi

as a bonus, the speaker isn't an old white dude. Not that makes it any more (or less) correct but it's a pleasant change from the norm.

her implied jewish exceptionalism always throws me off a bit but its much more reasonable when u get to the meat of wat shes sayin

yeah. Like the Yale series about the ancient greeks (same channel) the first lecture has a lot of generalizations that get filled in later

ancient greeks more like ancient geeks amirite

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My favorite books that I read in high school were 1984 and The Count of Monte Cristo. Both still phenomenal.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    there is only poonani and those too weak to seek it

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    butts

butts spelled backwards is butts

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Strangely I did not read a single American playwright in high school. But there's no accounting for the pathetic anglophilia of the American school system.

You never did Our Town? I think I ended up doing it twice. Once in Middle School and once in High School.

Strangely we did not.

Now that you mention it, I want to say we did The Crucible? I think we must have, I know I read it and I don't know when else I would have read it if not in HS.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i really liked a tale of two cities in high school

i can't even read it now i don't know what i was thinking

was it the weed?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    butts

butts spelled backwards is butts

woaaaahhhhhhh

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm about ready to throw a fit with this automated grading system for programming assignments. lol this is 0% correct for some reason and I won't tell you why

• Options

Strangely we did not.

Now that you mention it, I want to say we did The Crucible? I think we must have, I know I read it and I don't know when else I would have read it if not in HS.

We also did Death of a Salesmen.

• Options
    I dont really remember any of the books or plays we read in high school

I have really fond memories of the poetry junior year though

giant anthology-chan

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    My favorite books that I read in high school were 1984 and The Count of Monte Cristo. Both still phenomenal.

I read Count of Monte Cristo. And despise it to this day.

Just get it over worth. Kill them or don't. Stop being all fucking whiny.

UGH!

I know I have the minority opinion on this but gah. High school English can ruin books. And I was in honors for that one.

I also had to read Huck Finn for the third time.

Ugh.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

giant anthology-chan

when i was 13 i had an ownlord teacher who wandered around the room giving everybody random books

he said "every one of these i regard as a masterpiece"

one guy got war and peace (rekt)

another guy got rousseaus confessions

some bastard got the dark knight returns and i got the new confessions

the strugle

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm about ready to throw a fit with this automated grading system for programming assignments. lol this is 0% correct for some reason and I won't tell you why

well you were supposed to use recursion to solve the towers of hanoi puzzle and all you did was write "this is dicks" a few dozen times

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

UGH!

I know I have the minority opinion on this but gah. High school English can ruin books. And I was in honors for that one.

Ugh.

I had a lot of Twain growing up but that's a Connecticut thing. But Huck Finn just once. I read most of his short stories in school at various times.

• Options
    war and peace is only considered good because frenchmen were like RUSSIANS CAN READ?!

• Options

UGH!

Ugh.

I had a lot of Twain growing up but that's a Connecticut thing. But Huck Finn just once. I read most of his short stories in school at various times.

I like Twain's essays and his angry but funny rantings.

His books not so much.

I first read Huck Finn on my own in 3rd grade. Then again in 7th. Then again in 11th.

Ugh.

The thing with the last time it could of been Great Gatsby. It was teacher choice. Also that teacher was just horrible.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

giant anthology-chan

this might be it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0393979202/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3I98SOU7XD68E&coliid=IZOG7LYHBQQGE

• Options
    so i guess i need to go play and beat dragon's age tonight before the expansion comes out?

• Options
    skippy why isn't that an amazon smile link you heartless monster

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    so i guess i need to go play and beat dragon's age tonight before the expansion comes out?
    you got time

ps4 ain't gettin' shit yet

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    Good Omens was mine. That high school English teacher was the best. She was an English teacher that clearly loved to read and picked out new books for her curriculum (Good Omens came out a couple years before I started that class). We also read John Gardner's Grendel alongside Beowulf.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Going home to cuddle cat and cry. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Back when I was like 14 years old a friend of mine pointed out that Neo (from the Matrix) was One backward, a clear reference to the messiah theme going on

I was like "buuuut...."

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    you got time

ps4 ain't gettin' shit yet

oh right

good i didn't really feel like playing it tonight

• Options

I didnt even know about smile until eddy posted a link

eddy!

what a topsy turvy world we live in

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    holy shit it's snowing

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I didnt even know about smile until eddy posted a link

eddy!

what a topsy turvy world we live in

he probably donates to the school for underdressed gengar or something

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

UGH!

Ugh.

I like Twain's essays and his angry but funny rantings.

His books not so much.

I first read Huck Finn on my own in 3rd grade. Then again in 7th. Then again in 11th.

Ugh.

The thing with the last time it could of been Great Gatsby. It was teacher choice. Also that teacher was just horrible.

Huck Finn is one of those things that needs to be read, as an adult, once but for which once is enough.

hundreds of pages of buildup to one important moment but well worth it all the more for the wait

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.