As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zidders furry art stuff (SFW of course!)

ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Artist's Corner
Thought I'd share some of my stuff with you folks.

p3bmuwz4a55a.jpg
ho9pdestdoiz.jpg
7gmkpm8vqm5i.jpg
pymdxpgm5uek.jpg
gbhjokcbvwqe.jpg
1at35jhkeeo9.jpg
a32510tjuk5o.jpg
dxeujom3ix4s.jpg
kqou8cf1gcei.jpg

More here http://imgur.com/a/zF0qc

This is all work i've done over the last year and a half or so. The last pic is one I doodled with my Galaxy Note 3 2014 edition. As far as what progrems I use I've used Sketchbook Pro over the last few years but I recently upgraded to Manga Studio 5. If anyone has any tips as far as MS goes I'd appreciate the input.

I stopped drawing from '93 until I got back into art in early 2013 and i think I've come a long way over the last few years. i'm open to critique ^_^ and suggestions as I love to learn new things. Thanks for checking out my art and if you're interested in what I do you can watch me here http://www.furaffinity.net/user/zidders/, here https://www.weasyl.com/~ziddersroofurry or http://zidayazenovka.deviantart.com/ though I'm most active on FA.

I also write poems and stories. Again thanks for checking out my stuff.

Additional info!
"Tell us what your goals as an artist are."

I mostly create art to please myself, my partners and a close friend. That being said I like making people smile and believe in themselves. I also love creating mature art because I love that sort of thing. For the most part I just want to get better and if I happen to make people smile and make some money from it, awesome. I'm not really into getting rich or anything. I just want to have fun.

"Are you a hobbyist looking to learn to draw landscapes for fun?:

Definitely!

"Are you putting together a portfolio to get into art school?"

I went to CCRI back in '93 but while I got an A+ in Children's lit. college wasn't for me. I've always had difficulty in school (I was in special ed. classes throughout most of grade school and have a hard time learning things) and ended up losing my Pell grant :/

"Are you currently a professional looking to further refine your skills in a certain area?"

I don't have the fortitude or ability to focus that being a professional in anything requires.

"How long have you been practicing this form of art?"

I've been drawing since I was a kid but I've only been learning how to be better at it for a few years.

"Who are some artists or styles that you admire who you strive to be like in your own work?"

There are a number of 'furry' artists I admire like Blotch, SabreToothErmine, and DarkNatascha but I also love traditional fantasy artists like Larry Elmore and Keith Parkinson. I'm also a huge fan of Berke Breathed and Bill Waterson (Bloom County/Ouland/Opus, Calvin & Hobbes). I love comic art (Dave Sim and Gerhard's work on Cerebus), Steve Gallacci (Albedo), Stan Sakai (Usagi Yojimbo) and Eastman & Laird are huge influences on me as well. I'm also big into children's book artists like Dr. Suess and Trina Schart Hyman. [/spoiler/

ziddersroofurry on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    Hey there!

Your going to want to post a few things inline, Threads need to have art in them, not just click through links. You can upload images directly to the forum (make sure they arent to much bigger than 1000X1000, when you do)

It looks like you could really user some simple shape studies and some general structural help. Check out the enrichments we have over in the resource section: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196641/enrichment-directory#latest

You may want to check out proko too:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

If you are working on a note, that means you only have 5 inches to work with? I would buy a tablet (wacom, monoprice, yiynova whatever) if you really want to get into digital work, you are just severely limiting your ability to work with the size of that. Cheaper still is to just draw on paper.

Iruka on
  • Options

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get to editing my post soon as I finish this. Thank you for the link. I know I'm needing to start with the basics. As far as the note thing that's only for when I'm away from my PC. Otherwise I have a decent sized screen and work with an Intuous pen & touch medium tablet.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh, Im glad you have a bigger tablet, just a note would be terrible. If you dont draw on paper at all, I suggest doing a few of those studies on paper here and there. I got a tablet in middle school and do a large percentage of my work digitally, and theres still just some things that I need to do with pencil and paper.

The important part about doing both is that if you dont occasionally feel the difference, you'll never know if you have a preference for one or the other, or if a drawing you are doing maybe more successful if you were doing it on paper.

In doing furry art are you also have some other challenges to overcome, as animal anatomy can be especially complex. The community itself can also be overly complementary, which in itself isnt bad but it can lead to a sort of complacency in your mindset for improvement. Its good that you want to focus on your fundamentals. If uou can hold onto that desire, and push yourself to keep your technical skills as your focus, you'll see fast improvement.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Hey there, welcome!

It's nice to see that you aren't shying away from doing a variety of poses and backgrounds. Aside from the sort of studies Iruka was suggesting, I was suggest making an effort to do some drawing with just simple clean lines. A nice thing about digital art is that it's extremely forgiving, but this can also be almost a hindrance when you're trying to get better. So even if you're just doodling, or drawing from your imagination, do some sketching with a ballpoint pen or with a hard brush setting digitally, and just try your best to avoid scratchy uncertain lines. Making more deliberate marks is important to figuring out what you're doing purposefully or accidentally, where your weaknesses are, and what might improve your drawings. So mixing in some drawings where you only focus on linework without shading will help keep you aware of where your skills are in that area.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    The community itself can also be overly complementary, which in itself isnt bad but it can lead to a sort of complacency in your mindset for improvement.

i wish I got more critique. It's very hard to get people to be critical. I understand most folks don't have the time but after awhile being told how amazing I am starts to get frustrating. It begins to ring a bit hollow. I'm OK with having lots to learn and not being as good as I could be. I don't just want to know how far I've come I need to know how best to go farther.
    lyrium wrote: »
    mixing in some drawings where you only focus on linework without shading will help keep you aware of where your skills are in that area.
    I will definitely do this. I think i'll do some traditional sketch stuff today and practice basic shapes and what not.

Thank you for the welcome and for the advice!