As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions of Adventures/Campaigns for Noobs

GanzidanGanzidan Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
A number of friends and I are interested in trying to get a DnD game up and running. Only a few of us have ever played a PnP game before and even then it doesn't qualify as much experience. Since I've read the boards and seen some suggestions that for new players/DMs it's easier to start with an adventure or campaign, I was wondering what suggestions you all have for such.

Which are good starters?
Which make good multi-session games?
Which are open ended?
Which are good for role-playing?
And which are good for Hack'n'Slash?

Thanks for the advice.

Ganzidan on

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You might try checking out the Wizards of the Coast site, in the DnD section. Either in the articles and web enhancements (can't recall off the top of my head and it's websensed at work) are a selection of free downloadable adventures (often including detailed descriptions, maps, different encounters etc). They come with a suggested party size and level, and tend to be small enough to do in a single session. You might find something you like and get a better feel for what you're looking for and what your players enjoy.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Until you've got the storytelling aspect of the game down, which is to say, until you can actually write a good adventure, head to WotC's website and download a couple of first-level adventures.

Since you don't need to worry about the actual story of the adventure, you can practise your NPC roleplaying, story flow, and grasp of the rules.

After that, you're golden.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    SkitoriaSkitoria Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I agree with Raziel. Download some of the low level adventures till you get the hang of it. Some of the supplements has some little encounters in it which can be spliced into an adventure. (Frostburn and Stormwrack had some fun ones in it that our group used)

Also if you have the chance I recommend going and watching a session with some more experienced players or if you can find a DM to help you create a game and run the first couple session with you. Thats the way I learned.

Skitoria on
    Steam:Milfhouse Xbox:Eitel4 Paladin:Luiane Mage:Milane
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    There's also another company out there that makes D&D3e adventures in the same vein as the old 1st and 2nd edition classic ones. I think they're called Classic Dungeon Crawls or something like that. Those aren't too bad either, and they have everything laid out nice and organized for you in advance.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah the first level adventures are the way to go. Just try to get a feel for handling interactions and getting used to thinking around and ahead of the player party so you don't get really surprised by something.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    GanzidanGanzidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Ganzidan on