As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    OK. If you get any sort of numbness or tingling during or after lifting weights, you need to stop. Pushing through it just makes it worse and will lead to bigger problems down the road.

Sounds like you've aggravated/injured your median carpal nerve. Stop doing OHS and any other exercises that have you flexing your wrists until it's better. Ice it and work on your wrist mobility. And look at getting some wrist wraps for OHS and really watch the form - knuckles should be pointing at the ceiling.

Between this and the groin strain, it seems like you're going too hard too fast. Ramp up slowly on this stuff. Starting out with an injury isn't ideal for long term health.

So this wouldn't be a shoulder issue, so much as a wrist one?

I don't disagree about going too hard in general, but for OHS I've just been lifting an empty bar (45 lb.), so I think it's probably a form issue.

For comparison my Back Squat is 205 lb.

I've squatted 175kg and I wouldn't say I have an easy time overhead squatting with just the bar, it's a very taxing movement. I've never even tried it at more than 40kg.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I lift barefoot, fwiw

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Grab some Chucks. Cheap, easy to find, and just by using them a few times it'll become abundantly clear that a hard sole is what you need.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I just lift in my socks. Anything egregious about that?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I lifted for years in socks while I deadlifted or squatted.

I can tell you now it's better to have shoes.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Just weighed in around 172, which is by far the most I've ever. :D Talk of shoes is germane, as my workout sneakers are disintegrating out for under me. Do flat lifting shoes come in malls, or is it more of a guess and mail order deal?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Chucks or imitation chucks come in malls, I got some sweet neon yellow Airwalks with leopard print on the inside at a Payless for like $15 or something. For fancier ones I've also got some of those Mark Bell Reeboks (crossfit lite lo lol) and they're pretty true to size, I go between 8.5 and 9 depending on width and the 8.5 in those fits me great.

This is all assuming you're in the US, if you're elsewhere then I'm no help.

• Options
    You want lifting shoes to run a little tight. I made an oopsie and ordered regular size in Adidas and I regret it. They're still solid shoes thoigh

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    can someone get all these mike chang ads off of my youtube

poo
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Are you asking for a browser plugin recommendation

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Dammit, @A steak!! I was finally (FINALLY!) supposed to catch up to you this week on Fitocracy! :P

Happy to see you back.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    can someone get all these mike chang ads off of my youtube

What don't you want to know the secret to gaining six pack abs really quick?

(it's towel rows)

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    You want lifting shoes to run a little tight. I made an oopsie and ordered regular size in Adidas and I regret it. They're still solid shoes thoigh

I did the same thing with my Adidas Powerlifts. Used them for about two years about half a size too big before I got sick of it and grabbed Romaleos in a snug fit. It was a good upgrade.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Brogey wrote: »
    Dammit, @A steak!! I was finally (FINALLY!) supposed to catch up to you this week on Fitocracy! :P

Happy to see you back.

I can only imagine the score if I didn't wander off from it for months at a time.

• Options

I did the same thing with my Adidas Powerlifts. Used them for about two years about half a size too big before I got sick of it and grabbed Romaleos in a snug fit. It was a good upgrade.

This is what I'm gonna do.

I like your style

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Okay strength thread, I'm trying to cut about 8-10 pounds while keeping my strength up (as much as I can, at least). Any good resources out there on how to do this in a way that's sustainable, so I don't immediately yo yo back up in weight?

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Okay strength thread, I'm trying to cut about 8-10 pounds while keeping my strength up (as much as I can, at least). Any good resources out there on how to do this in a way that's sustainable, so I don't immediately yo yo back up in weight?

Start tracking your Calories. Compare your intake to what your weight does over a couple weeks. If you're maintaining then cut 500 calories a day and see what that does for a couple weeks. Shoot for 1-2 pounds a week.

Also cut the junk from your diet if you haven't already. That could potentially cut the calories right there.

Continue to lift. You won't lose Strength while dropping 10lb. You might not gain though depending on what level lifter you are.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    And keep protein up, 1g/lb of bodyweight is the most commonly stated goal but it's on the upper end of what's necessary, still not a bad figure to aim for.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    hsu wrote: »

Start tracking your Calories. Compare your intake to what your weight does over a couple weeks. If you're maintaining then cut 500 calories a day and see what that does for a couple weeks. Shoot for 1-2 pounds a week.

Also cut the junk from your diet if you haven't already. That could potentially cut the calories right there.

Continue to lift. You won't lose Strength while dropping 10lb. You might not gain though depending on what level lifter you are.

Don't cut 500 a day, try cutting 250 per day and make the difference up with activity. Cut 500 and still exercising you're going to see a big drop

• Options
    I got a rice cooker over the weekend, I'm going to try to bodybuilder it up for these last few weeks. I've lost weight just calorie counting but I've felt like total hammered shit every time I've tried any kind of extended period of low carb. I'm going to hit high protein, moderate carb, low fat for this last bit to see how that goes.

• Options
    We gonna get pics, Peen?

• Options
    Man I don't know, I didn't take any decent before shots. I should have but honestly I figured I'd flake out like I usually do and my having stuck to it this time is kind of surprising to me. If everything stays good I'll dig up something embarrassing from last summer that'll make me look like I lost a million lbs and post some after shots.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Going for the Lee Priest before and after shots?

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Hey, benching in your jeans is hard as fuck on the equipment cause the rivets in your jeans fuck the vinyl up

But good bench! Looked pretty easy

I don't make a habit out of working out in jeans, believe me. I was doing overtime at my job (also where I work out) and I had failed the 340 bench the day before. I resolved to lift it that day, even if I had to do it in jeans.

And no. It was not easy. Hahaha.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Touch wood but... all lifts are moving upwards really nicely for the first time in a long time. Combination of getting a good place to train and stringing together a good few months of uninterrupted training. I'm liking how it's feeling.

I'm really keen to launch an assault on all my PBs over the next 6 months. They haven't been touched since August 2012 and I feel that it's time.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    "Running while starving, what are you kidding me! What are you running from, a genocide?" made me laugh way too hard and now I feel bad for laughing at it. :?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Touch wood but... all lifts are moving upwards really nicely for the first time in a long time. Combination of getting a good place to train and stringing together a good few months of uninterrupted training. I'm liking how it's feeling.

I'm really keen to launch an assault on all my PBs over the next 6 months. They haven't been touched since August 2012 and I feel that it's time.

TRB over here is killing it, meanwhile I'm on a 5d/wk diet of presses, deadlifts and shouting at people to stay over the bar until my quad tendon sorts itself out. All I want to do is squat!

I'm also using the time to cut for the first time ever. Working on a 25%'ish deficit of 2400kcal (210c,80f,210p) for the last ten days or so and I'm down to 117kg, from 123 and 30% bf at the start (I got a DEXA, which I would highly recommend to anyone starting a cut).

Oh, and thanks for the nice things said about me on the last page. I do put quite a lot of effort into those posts and welcome calling out on any bullshit.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

TRB over here is killing it, meanwhile I'm on a 5d/wk diet of presses, deadlifts and shouting at people to stay over the bar until my quad tendon sorts itself out. All I want to do is squat!

I'm also using the time to cut for the first time ever. Working on a 25%'ish deficit of 2400kcal (210c,80f,210p) for the last ten days or so and I'm down to 117kg, from 123 and 30% bf at the start (I got a DEXA, which I would highly recommend to anyone starting a cut).

Oh, and thanks for the nice things said about me on the last page. I do put quite a lot of effort into those posts and welcome calling out on any bullshit.

How would you even go about arranging a DEXA in the UK? I would love to know BF% but just cant find a way of working it out.

Prime on
  • Options
    Prime wrote: »

How would you even go about arranging a DEXA in the UK? I would love to know BF% but just cant find a way of working it out.

Any universities with exercise science, kinesiology, physiology is a good way to find either a DEXA or BodPod

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    what's the insurance sitch with those / how much do they cost

poo
  • Options

A bod pod at my uni is like $10 for students?

DEXA is a lot more involved and I'm assuming significantly more expensive that $10, but I'm sure if you had a GP suggest you need to get scanned cause you got bird bones or something you could apply it to insurance.

Check online at local universities or even medical centers would probably have one for rehabilitative shit.

Typically health & human performance type departments will have a list of their facilities/ labs and equipment available, because they have interns to train and health & wellness programs that make use of them, so that's probably the cheapest route and a bod pod is a decent way of finding your LBM but not as exact as DEXA, which is the gold star standard.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Bod pod ranges from $50 to $75 for non-university affiliates, from what I've looked at.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

A bod pod at my uni is like $10 for students?

DEXA is a lot more involved and I'm assuming significantly more expensive that $10, but I'm sure if you had a GP suggest you need to get scanned cause you got bird bones or something you could apply it to insurance.

Check online at local universities or even medical centers would probably have one for rehabilitative shit.

Typically health & human performance type departments will have a list of their facilities/ labs and equipment available, because they have interns to train and health & wellness programs that make use of them, so that's probably the cheapest route and a bod pod is a decent way of finding your LBM but not as exact as DEXA, which is the gold star standard.

I thought the gold standard was a carcass analysis. But that tends to be a bit irreversible.

• Options
    I went to this place: http://www.bodyscanuk.com/

• Options
    Kettlebell cleans as part of our circuit yesterday, and I gotta say there's something satisfying about the solidness of a 62 lb kettlebell landing on my fully-engaged bicep. Especially compared to how cleans used to feel before strength and conditioning set in.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So what kind of metrics do you guys look at to tell if you're overtraining? I took a deload week (50% volume reduction) due to disrupted sleep and feelings of dread around going to the gym. I'm wondering if anyone has any other things they use as a guide.

• Options
    Primarily my performance decreasing consistently for an extended period (outside the week or so of programmed overreaching).

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Sounds aboat right. My squat slid for 3 straight workouts and a de-load week did the trick.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I bought a superman compression top for the tough mudder coming up next month (along with some red shorts!) as I wanted something synthetic that would dry quickly and I cant do anything without adding a little geek to it apparently.

Tried it on and although im still a few pounds away from my body fat goals I had my first real "wow I have physically changed significantly in 18 months" moment. I normally wear pretty loose fitting clothes to the gym/training and although ive noticed the difference before never like that. Was a good feeling.

This discussion has been closed.