As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I done hurt my Galaxy Note 4 real bad, now what?

CambiataCambiata Commander ShepardThe likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
Ok, this story starts out with me being pretty foolish: I was playing with my 4 month new Galaxy Note 4 near my bathtub and ended up dropping it in for a few seconds. I got out out and powered down as soon as I could, opened the case, removed the battery and sim card, wiped and vacuumed as much water as I could, and let it air dry for two days (googling regarding the "pack it in rice" theory of drying out seemed to suggest that rice is actually the worst way to go about it, and no descants work as well as open air and vacuuming.)

When I turned the phone on, everything worked except the home button, which made me feel pretty lucky. I figured that a home key wouldn't be too difficult to replace, and I already shot any possible warranty out by dropping it in water anyway, so why not? The new key and some additional tools arrived, and I opened the case and replaced the key - only to find that this did not fix the issue. I put the original key back figuring that I'd just use the software version of the home key and that would be that.

The next day, I found the "roaming data charges" warning pop up a few times, but since I tend to have somewhat bad reception in my apartment I thought nothing of it. The day after that (today), I went to work and discovered that I had basically no cell service at all. When I got home again, I disassembled the phone for the second time, found a lose connector which I reconnected, then put the thing back together again. I now seem to have service, but it still seems kind of low - it's no longer giving the red x or the "data roaming" message, but it's down to 1 bar, which unfortunately I can't remember if that's what I always have at home or not. I won't know for sure until I go to work tomorrow. Though the fact that I can make regular cell calls now and I couldn't before I fixed the connector seems like a good sign.

At this point I'm looking for expertise on people who know how to repair Android phones. I went ahead and ordered a replacement docking port assembly because that seems to be the part of the motherboard where the home key presses on, so I figured if the ribbon on the home key isn't the problem, then that portion of the board where the key presses must bey the thing that shorted out. I'm also wondering if maybe the water damage could have affected the antenna in any way, and if there's a way to replace or fix that.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Take it to a professional repair shop. One with a decent Yelp or Google rating. If it's fixable that's your best bet.

If you pm me what part of the country you're in (assuming you're in the US) I can see if my company has a repair center nearby.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Take it to a professional repair shop. One with a decent Yelp or Google rating. If it's fixable that's your best bet.

If you pm me what part of the country you're in (assuming you're in the US) I can see if my company has a repair center nearby.

Meh. At this point the only thing wrong with it is the home key. I'd much rather learn how to repair it myself than pay someone else to do it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Meh. At this point the only thing wrong with it is the home key. I'd much rather learn how to repair it myself than pay someone else to do it.

If you want to DIY you're gonna have to DIY: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_4

If you're looking for an expert to guide you through the process online for free, that'd be pretty great. But that's probably how they make a living.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Figgy wrote: »

If you want to DIY you're gonna have to DIY: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_4

If you're looking for an expert to guide you through the process online for free, that'd be pretty great. But that's probably how they make a living.

I can look up guides on how to replace physical parts. I already replaced the home key once (then replaced it again with the original when I found the new key makes no difference). I ordered the docking port assembly to try to see if that will work.

Your post seems kind of unnecessarily hostile? When I first started working on my own computers, opening the case for the first time and putting a new part in, I didn't know anything then, either. Now I can build my own PC from parts. The way I gained the knowledge from then to now was by googling the information, or asking people in forums such as this one. If I was posting here about PC troubles, I'm sure several people would have enough personal practice to say, "It sounds like X might be the problem, try replacing that." For example, I think a lot of people here could recognize a power supply failure on a PC, so if someone came on here and posted the symptoms, one of us would reply "sounds like a power supply failure."

If people don't have an idea why replacing the home key didn't fix the home key functionality, that's fine. I'll figure it out some other way. There's no need for a sneering post about how what I'm asking for is a step by step guide when I never asked for that.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It should still be under warrenty if its only 4 months old. You dont have to tell them you dropped it in the tub, just say the home button stopped working, they will probably replace it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    It should still be under warrenty if its only 4 months old. You dont have to tell them you dropped it in the tub, just say the home button stopped working, they will probably replace it.

until they open it up and see the water damage indicator and say sorry this phone got wet, not our problem.. I mean is it worth a shot. probably. but be aware they might just send it back. Though some companies have a no questions asked warranty , but i don't think samsung is one.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah just say your home key stopped working and your reception is poor and they'll probably give you a new one no questions.

They might charge you a fee if they determine if water damage was the problem. I doubt it though. The kind of damage you're seeing now would happen if a little bit of rain worked its way through that button too.

Try it though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Did you replace just the button switch, or did you also replace the ribbon cable assembly? Either way you may want to disconnect all the internal cables and hose it down with contact cleaner and go in with a fine brush and get into the sockets and respray with contact cleaner. Water submersion can cause crap to collect in tight places making for a poor connection.

Djeet on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

until they open it up and see the water damage indicator and say sorry this phone got wet, not our problem.. I mean is it worth a shot. probably. but be aware they might just send it back. Though some companies have a no questions asked warranty , but i don't think samsung is one.

You cant really see water damage. The people at the best buy samsung keosk dont do much more then taking the back cover off to make sure you arent selling them a phone without a battery or something. Unless you have massive burn marks on your case, they will press the button a few times and replace it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    there is an indicator dot/strip that turns pink when exposed to water

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/428371-s5-arrived-purple-xs-water-damage-sticker.html

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

Right, the indicator dot on the Galaxy note is on the battery. If I really wanted to try the warranty, I could just replace the battery before sending it in and they'd have no other way of knowing of the water damage. My concern is the amount of time it would take for them to replace it, how long I'd be without a phone. Also is it Samsung I contact or Sprint? I actually tried going to Sprint to get the cell phone replacement coverage on the phone (without letting them know I was having problems), and they told me they won't sell the insurance because they said they don't offer it after 60 days from purchase.
    Djeet wrote: »
    Did you replace just the button switch, or did you also replace the ribbon cable assembly? Either way you may want to disconnect all the internal cables and hose it down with contact cleaner and go in with a fine brush and get into the sockets and respray with contact cleaner. Water submersion can cause crap to collect in tight places making for a poor connection.

The home button replacement included the ribbon cable, so I replaced the whole thing, no dice. I'll try the contact cleaner.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Did the strip show that it had water damage?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Did the strip show that it had water damage?

On the battery, yeah. There are no other indicators on the phone for water damage, so I could conceivably buy a replacement battery then send the phone in with the new battery for replacement.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Did you check the link @mts posted? They have a video that shows where the water damage indicators are and both the phone and the battery have indicators. You can change the battery out, but the one in your phone will still clearly say this phone was dropped in the tub.

edit: actually there are two indicators inside your phone along with an indicator on your battery.

edit 2: I'm watching more videos specifically to the Note series and there may be three indicators inside the bowels of the phone plus the one on the battery. All these water damage videos where people successfully repair the phone involve thoroughly cleaning the contacts with iso-alcohol. Had no idea mineral buildup could be that significant that quickly.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    Did you check the link @mts posted? They have a video that shows where the water damage indicators are and both the phone and the battery have indicators. You can change the battery out, but the one in your phone will still clearly say this phone was dropped in the tub.

edit: actually there are two indicators inside your phone along with an indicator on your battery.

That's an S5. The Galaxy Note 4 does not have any internal stickers that I could find, but if anyone finds a video about water damages tickers for the the note 4 specifically I'd be interested.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Shogun wrote: »

That's an S5. The Galaxy Note 4 does not have any internal stickers that I could find, but if anyone finds a video about water damages tickers for the the note 4 specifically I'd be interested.

https://youtu.be/ZND9Q73wjr8?t=117

Do you see the small white box with all the little x things? That is one LDI right there.

https://youtu.be/ZND9Q73wjr8?t=127

The red box? It is like a little dye pack that will bleed through to the other side. Another LDI.

https://youtu.be/ZND9Q73wjr8?t=67

The other side is that little white hole to the top left of the battery bay. I believe your dot should be red or pink.

those are just two of the internals I could quickly spot in that teardown video which is awesome btw and you should totes watch if you're interested in fixing these devices. I'm pretty sure there is another protecting the motherboard. And I think you should also have one inside the battery bay.

What I'm trying to get at here is don't try and defraud Samsung. You will waste your time and it is also illegal. That sucks Sprint wouldn't insure the phone but I can also see why they wouldn't. Try taking that beast apart and cleaning home key contacts really well. Good luck!

Shogun on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Check your motherboard for any signs of corrosion. Some times water can get into places (like under the shielding etc.) that you might not normally see and can strike unexpectedly. Clean all contacts with alcohol just in case. Your instincts about the charge port assembly and/or antenna being possibly damaged were good as those were the two main things I would have checked if you had a weird signal issue like that. Let us know if the new parts work.

• Options
    For the record, now that I have my phone opened up again I looked at the internal water sticker and it is still white.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I fixed it! Replacing the docking assembly did it. As I suspected, it was the censor for the home button that got shorted out (the censor is part of the docking assembly), which is why just replacing the button did nothing. Thanks for everyone who gave me advice, especially @Shogun because that breakdown video is very easy to follow.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    baller.

baller as fuck.