Options

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

13»

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate this show because its designed to make fun of people "ZOMG LULZ A FIFTH GRADER IS SMARTER THAN YOU".

However, they're not. They just have a wide variety of miscellaneous and USELESS facts burned into their tiny brains. They may be smart kids, and they may even be smarter than some adults.

But trying to "test" or "prove" that in a gameshow is just stupid. Tell you what. Put a bricklayer and a fifth grader up against each other. The fifth grader will be able to answer questions like "what is the capital of Iran" and that nature of questions, while the bricklayer will be able to tell you the precise mix of components to make the best mortar, the best way to get the most strength out of bricks, and other things of that nature.

I don't know half of the stuff that the kids on that show know, but I do know a million and one things that they DON'T.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's not forget the "learn about your state" curriculum during the young periods. I was flipping past it one time and caught that the question was something like "What river forms the border between Indiana and Kentucky?" I'm from Oregon. I don't care about the Ohio River. The Ohio River serves no purpose in my life, but I bet those putzes from Illinois never had to learn about stupid Markham either.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll admit, I'm not good at the order of the months either (I have to start from January too), and the alphabet requires me to string off the song in my head ("Oh! K comes after J!"). I remember learning all the states back in fifth grade, but I doubt I could do it now nearly as quickly - I have a bad habit about forgetting Georgia and that potato state, Idaho.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can do the months, but the alphabet I have trouble with too.

Around the regions of ABCDEFG, I can remember it off the top of my head, same with LMNOP, and TUV. But outside of those periods in the alphabet, I generally have to reel it off from the nearest familiar area.

Remembering the order of HIJK shits me a lot. Same with QRS.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I read a lot of your post in song, just to show how bad my wretched condition is.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I read a lot of your post in song, just to show how bad my wretched condition is.

I had to sing it a few times while writing it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    You think that's bad? Check this out.

I wouldn't have a clue about yards. fuck yards. stupid archaic bullshit.
    Quoth Her Majesty's loyal subject.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

He has a point. Fuck the whole Imperial system with its non-mathematical precision.

Measurements need to be nice round numbers. 10 millimetres to a centimetre. 100 centimetres to a meter. 1000 meters to a kilometer.

DAMNIT. MULTIPLES OF TEN PEOPLE. THEY ARE GOOD.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »

He has a point. Fuck the whole Imperial system with its non-mathematical precision.

Measurements need to be nice round numbers. 10 millimetres to a centimetre. 100 centimetres to a meter. 1000 meters to a kilometer.

Can you imagine the cost of replacing all the road signs in America to metres/kilometres?

They'd have to stop the war in Iraq for a whole 12 hours!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007

It only gets complex when you have to ask how many liters are in a yard.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

It only gets complex when you have to ask how many liters are in a yard.

Which is the fault of the Imperial system. The Imperial system has weird conversions within ITSELF, let alone outside itself. And whats with ounces being about four hundred million different measures?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2007
    It's not even internally consistent. A pound of lead weighs more than a pound of diamonds.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's not even internally consistent. A pound of lead weighs more than a pound of diamonds.

we havez ourselves more proof.

now all we need is cheezburger.

and bukket.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Using weird ratios doesn't make your system any less precise, just more difficult to mentally convert. As per metric, it's just one of those things like languages: sure, it'd be easier if we all standardized, but it's a bitch to learn a new system.

MrMister on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Having interstate signs in kello-meters or whatever you eurocommies use is just a way to roll out the welcome mat for the SOVIETS.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've only watched the show twice or so, but I hate the idea that because you don't remember random trivia that may or may not have been taught when you were in 5th grade, somehow you are dumber.

Then again, I guess it's not called 'Can you reason better than a 5th grader'.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and Dhalphir?

Marry me

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Oh, and Dhalphir?

Marry me

Ok, but I'm wearing the dress.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Works for me <3

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Works for me <3

And on our honeymoon we're going somewhere with a fucking metric system.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I love it when you talk all Brit-english to me

Magus` on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and Dhalphir?

Marry me

I'm picturing your avatar beaver wearing a wedding dress, with a tiara Hard hat. That's scary shit right there.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    What are you people talking about? That show where the kids run the town is fantastic.

Come on, i can't be the only one who read Lord of the Flies and thought, "hey, this would make a fantastic experiment if it weren't for those fucking codes of ethics about performing experiments on people."

Fixed.

Psychology and Sociology would be a FAR more interesting subject if we had no scruples.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Oh, and Dhalphir?

Marry me

I'm picturing your avatar beaver wearing a wedding dress, with a tiara Hard hat. That's scary shit right there.

I cannot create this imagery in my head.

I think it is disturbing that you can

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and Dhalphir?

Marry me

I cannot create this imagery in my head.

I think it is disturbing that you can

I blame the metric system.

shryke on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bringing the thread back 'round to the original subject, I seriously doubt I could win one of these gameshows if given the chance. And I really doubt the people here could do so as well.

Back in high school I was a part of the Varsity Academic team, and we did fairly well. We did good enough to get to the regional finals (basically playoffs) and managed to reach the final round before you get qualification into the state semifinals. When the realization hit that we could actually win the season and adrenaline flooded into our system, it was fucking game over. That finals match was our worst of the season; we could barely form coherent sentences, let alone solve complex calculus problems in under twenty seconds.

With all the pressure on the contestants in these game shows I'm surprised they can even remember their fucking names. As an aside, I wonder if taking something like the drugs snipers would use to calm down (Diazepam?) would help you or hurt you in a game show.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's not forget the "learn about your state" curriculum during the young periods. I was flipping past it one time and caught that the question was something like "What river forms the border between Indiana and Kentucky?" I'm from Oregon. I don't care about the Ohio River. The Ohio River serves no purpose in my life, but I bet those putzes from Illinois never had to learn about stupid Markham either.

Hey, I was one of those putzes, and we never even learned about the Illinois River. We spent alot of time on Lincoln, but that's to be expected.

The students that I'm teaching in Massachusetts are a little unclear on the whole concept of the Midwest having separate states. They think it's just a blank space with "Here there be Wal-Marts."

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    Can you imagine the cost of replacing all the road signs in America to metres/kilometres?

We tried that once, in the 1990's. We took them down, because the only metric measurement that got popularized was the 9 millimeter bullet.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

We tried that once, in the 1990's. We took them down, because the only metric measurement that got popularized was the 9 millimeter bullet.

"My car gets 40 rods to the hog's head and that's the way I likes it!"

Nova_C on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, oh, here's one from the french Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bckla3CXIHI

The question translates to "what rotates around the earth".
    (Yes, that's 56% of the public voting for the sun)

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Logicow wrote: »

I've seen this one before. Pretty damn funny.

Although, a guy I know from France says alot of people like to vote for the wrong answer on those things to screw people up, cause it's funny.

shryke on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Although, a guy I know from France says alot of people like to vote for the wrong answer on those things to screw people up, cause it's funny.

So there goes the stereotype that the French are rude to just American tourists ... they're actually just dicks all around.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

So there goes the stereotype that the French are rude to just American tourists ... they're actually just dicks all around.

I heard that clip is fake. Of course, the source that told me that could have also been fake.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

The Russian audience does it too- they don't want to see others doing better than themselves, so they'll try and mess you up on spite.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh Lordie, I just found a Fastest Finger from British Millionaire. Starting with 'stop', put the colors on a traffic light in correct order. (For the Americans in the audience, Britain has a red/yellow combo that they stick in between the red and green that means 'get ready to start driving again'. Thus the requisite four colors.)

And, well... yeah.

Gosling on