Options

Hatch Green [chat]

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    yo, people involved in hiring and stuff

i am updating my cv

i graduated last September and have a year of post college work experience (June - June)

should I still list extra curricular stuff I did in college which involved being responsible?

i was a society treasurer and senior member which involved like, running three events a week and being in charge of several thousand euro of college money and stuff

i feel like that is important enough to be all "this is me in a voluntary position of responsibility outside of the job" rather than "this was me dicking around in college" but idk
    Real estate is golden on resumes. With 1 year of experience and a degree, you should be able to put pure work and school things on there without having to "cram" or "stretch." However if after your experience, education and formatting, you still have real estate open, adding the other items does not hurt, but it is a lower priority than your work history. If you redact your PII I'll take a look for you and make suggestions.

My resume is amazing, even when I don't get the job I routinely hear man your resume is amazing/impressive/well done. Also I occasionally hire people.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Today's news:

Half of the midwives in sweden have reported hearing damage, from screaming women in labour

A bronze thief got chased by an angry worker in a ten ton forklift

Armed police deployed in Fredrikstad to ask a man shooting from a rooftop what he was doing. He was shooting pigeons. Police did not approve of him just starting to blast away from a downtown rooftop.

At Fonna alpine senter, they had to work a bit to actually find Fonna alpine senter when they got to work.

11391546_855850364482589_1530205300637366844_n.jpg?updated=040620151059
    "Found some!"
    11412392_855850384482587_5056771957606662114_n.jpg?updated=040620151100
    "I found some more!"

Those are eleven metre masts, by the way. This, presumably, is what their work days are gonna look like for a while.
    folgefonna.jpg?updated=040620151042

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I thought you said "shouting from a rooftop" and thought "that's a bit harsh".

• Options
    blah blah blah AF Gruppen blah blah Vats. Whatever. Point of this article is, crane ships are insane.

99-THIALF.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Going through my youtube favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eEUsd1ASA

I love this
    I liked that.

It made me think of this, even though it is a radically different approach/style

http://youtu.be/QwrbyVaC6EU

• Options
    Oh man I haven't seen the Greeks video in ages

it is so great

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    My basic view is that if people are like minded, they should still be critical and open about flaws in the arguments of others, because if you spread halftruths and propaganda it becomes harder to articulate your goals, and harder to achieve your goals. Many leftwing goals are hamstrung by bad spokespeople selling nonsense. And it's literally selling, books, diets, supplements, lifestyle clothing etcet.

All college students forever are plagued with the idea that they arrive knowing damn near anything, and leave feeling they know jack-all*. I am skeptical that this changed much. My guess is more that the talking points changed so people of different generations get confronted by insanity vice versa. The best teachers of course try to correct this, but it's an endless fight.

.. universities are truly storehouses of knowledge: students arrive from school confident that they know nearly everything, and they leave years later certain that they know practically nothing. Where did the knowledge go in the meantime? Into the university, of course, where it is carefully dried and stored.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Having to clear snow because there's too much of it must be one of the most frustrating things about working at an alpine centre

"Is this not why you are here?

Are you not entertained?"

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    oh i've got a ton of experience

basically 3 years of IT alongside my degree, 1 year of research and I'm a college exam invigilator for two different organisations in my spare time for the last four years, too

i'm not stuck for things, i just wanted something a bit more varied and emphasising that i'm responsible and probably a bit more confident/outgoing than your usual CS grad

• Options
    SSCV Thialf is the largest crane ship in the world. The second largest is Saipem 7000, whose red and white cranes have been a semiregular sight from our kitchen window through my whole childhood.

1280px-Saipem_7000_-_Hundv%C3%A5g%2C_Norway_-_28_May_2010.jpg

Here seen a short walk from said kitchen.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    New Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- (yes that's the new version name)

Jack-O sorry no Dizzy yet @Cinders

5b81ZWP.jpg

XakZ3wK.jpg

eyO7IqU.jpg

Is the bottom screens shot in game?

Because if so, wow, it is what I have always dreamed of for 2d stuff

• Options
    584213789279368002bc26c51cb1.jpg

Now that, that is a hook.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    also that view is one of the best things about growing up where I grew up

there's no place summer nights are more beautiful

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SSCV Thialf is the largest crane ship in the world. The second largest is Saipem 7000, whose red and white cranes have been a semiregular sight from our kitchen window through my whole childhood.

1280px-Saipem_7000_-_Hundv%C3%A5g%2C_Norway_-_28_May_2010.jpg

Here seen a short walk from said kitchen.

That's like seeing Samson and Goliath every time my parents went to Belfast

samson-and-goliath-the-famous-yellow-cranes-at-harland-and-wolff-belfast-B277FX.jpg

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

5b81ZWP.jpg

XakZ3wK.jpg

eyO7IqU.jpg

They're award winning graphics. Giantbomb Best Graphics 2014 for last years game.
    That's actually modelled in 3D to look like 2D. It plays like a 2D fighter then at the end it turns the models etcet. Look up some videos of it, it's crazy.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Reading the Vox article.

I don't disagree with any of this. And have seen it.

I am not sure it is just the SW or whatever culture but also a fear of being offended. Reading offensive things to explore what makes them offensive and the history around them is important.

Also people bitching about Twain other than is kind of boring need to get off their damn high horse. Man was pointing out a lot of the bs and such of many of the Southern narratives on slavery and culture.

And fuck I wouldn't ever remove Upton Sinclair or Said from a reading list.

Who the fuck gets offended by Sinclair?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Reminds me a LOT of Maine, where I summered as a kid.

gu4g0dwaue01.jpg

the big boats are built and launched about a 30 minute drive away, but the sailboat culture here is huge.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This new understanding of social justice politics resembles what University of Pennsylvania political science professor Adolph Reed Jr. calls a politics of personal testimony, in which the feelings of individuals are the primary or even exclusive means through which social issues are understood and discussed. Reed derides this sort of political approach as essentially being a non-politics, a discourse that "is focused much more on taxonomy than politics [which] emphasizes the names by which we should call some strains of inequality [ ... ] over specifying the mechanisms that produce them or even the steps that can be taken to combat them." Under such a conception, people become more concerned with signaling goodness, usually through semantics and empty gestures, than with actually working to effect change.

I am in love with this Vox article.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    This new understanding of social justice politics resembles what University of Pennsylvania political science professor Adolph Reed Jr. calls a politics of personal testimony, in which the feelings of individuals are the primary or even exclusive means through which social issues are understood and discussed. Reed derides this sort of political approach as essentially being a non-politics, a discourse that "is focused much more on taxonomy than politics [which] emphasizes the names by which we should call some strains of inequality [ ... ] over specifying the mechanisms that produce them or even the steps that can be taken to combat them." Under such a conception, people become more concerned with signaling goodness, usually through semantics and empty gestures, than with actually working to effect change.

That was also my favourite bit

• Options
    I hadn't realised Titanic Quarter had replaced Queen's Island as the name of that part of Belfast.

I thought it was "Titanic Quarter, centered on Queen's Island".

• Options

This paragraph resonates a lot. It reminds me of a critical post I made in the "Green Living" thread once, where people were very much of a 'every bit' helps mentality and it was a real struggle to get across that some things are so marginal that you probably really shouldn't concern yourself with it, that it's far more advantageous to spend time in resources in different manners.

• Options

Reminds me a LOT of Maine, where I summered as a kid.

gu4g0dwaue01.jpg

the big boats are built and launched about a 30 minute drive away, but the sailboat culture here is huge.

a lot of similarities, yeah

of course being so much further north means maine's got nothing on our summer nights :P Winter might not be as dark and dreary, but.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Max Verstappen (a 17-year-old kid driving his first year in Formula 1) crashed into the safety barrier at Monaco a couple weeks ago while going for an ... ill-advised overtake.

He experienced the equivalent of 30 Gs in the impact.

And the only reason that number isn't higher is because both the barrier and the car did their best to absorb the impact.

Jesus. He described his condition as "a little sore" a few days after the incident.

Yeah, I bet.

If you'd like to experience the crash yourself from multiple angles (including one onboard shot!), watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvIW1NBZOy8

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

5b81ZWP.jpg

XakZ3wK.jpg

eyO7IqU.jpg

They're award winning graphics. Giantbomb Best Graphics 2014 for last years game.
    That's actually modelled in 3D to look like 2D. It plays like a 2D fighter then at the end it turns the models etcet. Look up some videos of it, it's crazy.

Pretty incredible it is more or less there

• Options
    Southern norway has so many fantastic little ports.

FL16p.jpgrasvaag.png

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC :(

• Options
    ...Xrd?

hnnngh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    A lot of these pictures remind of of Northern Ontario, Abdhy :)

Mostly rock and pine trees (thanks to the Canadian Shield), scattered throughout with a million lakes, rivers, and waterways.

Unless these are out on the open sea, which would make them cooler in my mind for reasons I can't quite comprehend.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Speaking of graphics, I want to see more Cuphead at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDZfREYppk

• Options

It is fantastic.

I like this part as well.
    In the start of his piece, Chait hypothetically asks if "the offensiveness of an idea [can] be determined objectively, or only by recourse to the identity of the person taking offense." Here, he's getting at the concerns addressed by Reed and Reilly-Cooper, the worry that we've turned our analysis so completely inward that our judgment of a person's speech hinges more upon their identity signifiers than on their ideas.

It is amazing how identity is now the key to so many arguments instead of ideas being discussed.

Won't lie, I see it here with @Spool32 all the time and it is frustrating.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    double post due to internet at work being butts

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ...Xrd?

hnnngh

X-Ray Diffraction

They crystallize the fighters and then hit them with x-rays and calculate their 3D structure, weird way to make a fighter but I guess it works

• Options
    There is this guy, I would like to lose him. I have a ten day deadline. Please advise.

• Options
    In "They're doing this on purpose" acronym news, my friend transferred within his company to the Business Intelligence, Research and Development department

• Options
    edited June 2015
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    A lot of these pictures remind of of Northern Ontario, Abdhy :)

Mostly rock and pine trees (thanks to the Canadian Shield), scattered throughout with a million lakes, rivers, and waterways.

Unless these are out on the open sea, which would make them cooler in my mind for reasons I can't quite comprehend.

Well not open sea, but it's the sea, yes.

http://www.havna.com/photoalbum/view4/L3Rvb2xzL3Bob3RvYWxidW1fdmlldy9jdXN0b21lci9pbWcvNDk3MS9sYXJnZS80OTcxNTYuanBnL0Nyb3AvP3g9MzImeT0yMCZ3aWR0aD05NjAmaGVpZ2h0PTYyOA

Almost at open sea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    There is this guy, I would like to lose him. I have a ten day deadline. Please advise.

Plant narcotics in his personal effects

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    In "They're doing this on purpose" acronym news, my friend transferred within his company to the Business Intelligence, Research and Development department

That dept is for the birds, I tell ya.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

Put him in a washing machine with his twin. You have a 50/50 chance of him disappearing.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

It is fantastic.

I like this part as well.
    In the start of his piece, Chait hypothetically asks if "the offensiveness of an idea [can] be determined objectively, or only by recourse to the identity of the person taking offense." Here, he's getting at the concerns addressed by Reed and Reilly-Cooper, the worry that we've turned our analysis so completely inward that our judgment of a person's speech hinges more upon their identity signifiers than on their ideas.

It is amazing how identity is now the key to so many arguments instead of ideas being discussed.

Won't lie, I see it here with Spool32 all the time and it is frustrating.

I seem to believe that the Chait article was not popular when it was posted here

This discussion has been closed.