As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Spider man, spider man.

Doing what only a spider can.

I approve of the new blink.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I kinda like the developing fan theory that it was Emily that the Outsider was after all along as part of some long game shenanigans and that the first game was him using Corvo as a means to an end.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    That's the same fan theory that says she is the outsider's daughter.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Cara Ellison announced she was hired by Arkane and working on this game.

Also @TychoCelchuuu you spelled Dishonored wrong :P

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Beautiful trailer. Really digging the new protagonist.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Holy shit I did not think I could be more excited for this game, and now I am. I'm going to preorder this thing the second I can.
    Fixed.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    WAAAAT?!

Its the most wonderful time of the yearrrr:whistle:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

Holy shit I did not think I could be more excited for this game, and now I am. I'm going to preorder this thing the second I can.
    Fixed.
    Perfect.

Supposedly you can play Corso as well as Emily?

I don't know the source on that though, nor if it means two playable characters or you play him during the tutorial and flashbacks or something.

Also, are we assuming the canon ending is going to be the bad one? (since I'm assuming she's not being a stabby queen batman or something weird)

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was looking forward to this one. Not pre-ordering though, I think that practice is a load of bunk when I can get it any time through Steam.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I need this in my veins.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

I don't know the source on that though, nor if it means two playable characters or you play him during the tutorial and flashbacks or something.

Also, are we assuming the canon ending is going to be the bad one? (since I'm assuming she's not being a stabby queen batman or something weird)

Bethesda's YT page says that we can play as Emily or Corvo, each with a unique set of skills.

Also, the video says that some pulled the rug out from under their feet. They lost control of the Empire, asked if they even deserved it, and what they would do to get it back.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Outsider seems to be taking a more direct hand in things this time. Wonder if we'll get to see the lore expanded on him?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Outsider seems to be taking a more direct hand in things this time. Wonder if we'll get to see the lore expanded on him?

I'm all for Lore, but I prefer when the Outsider is characterised as giving powers to people just for his own amusement and dryly passing commentary on it.

I hope Emily speaks. And Corvo doesn't :P

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The new blink looks jank. I don't really see elasticity so much as a trunk punching at the distance and then sort of being forgotten as the user just jetpacks over instead.

Thinking a little more, I'm not sure how I feel about the game continuing to be directly tied into the Kaldwins.

The Outsider's very nature and the hints of worldbuilding we got means you can go anywhere to find someone else dispossessed of their status (which seems to be the Elder Scrolls type opening motif they're maintaining, cool) and the Outsider is "It's dangerous to go alone, take this".

Maybe I just don't like the first game's good end being undermined/retconned.

Oh, I guess I ended up not playing the DLC.

What does the DLC have to do with what I said?

But it's pretty great.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular

From the post-presentation interview, the Arkane guys were asked if there was co-op (there isn't) and if you could switch between Corvo and Emily. You can't switch, but the way they answered it made it seem as though when you choose your character at the start, something must happen to the other one that makes 'switching' not an option. I'm guessing poisoned/captured/killed? Or maybe your choice has something to do with the good or bad ending being your canon for that playthrough?

Anyway, I fucking loved Dishonored, so I'm pretty hyped about this one.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »

From the post-presentation interview, the Arkane guys were asked if there was co-op (there isn't) and if you could switch between Corvo and Emily. You can't switch, but the way they answered it made it seem as though when you choose your character at the start, something must happen to the other one that makes 'switching' not an option. I'm guessing poisoned/captured/killed? Or maybe your choice has something to do with the good or bad ending being your canon for that playthrough?

Perhaps the person you don't choose stays at your base and supports your campaign of murder/justice ?

It would make a nice change to play a woman out to rescue her male love interest/mentor/friend, however.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    My most memorable moment from dishonored was trying to minimize casualties in the last zone. I knocked out a guard and pulled his body up to the top of a wall. I then started looking for the next guard.

Behind me I heard the *thud-whoosh* sound of the unconscious guard falling off the wall to his death and his corpse turning to ash.

Whoops. My bad.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I played dishonored super super super boring.
    Super boring.

But I do have a memory of stacking up a whole bunch of unconscious guards in this one area.
    And then I let some rats out of a room further up the level.
    Later, I walked past the nook I'd stashed the snoozing guards.
    There was...movement. And a sound I would really rather not have heard.

After that, in the brothel level, I spent forever and a day carefully porting each and every unconscious guard to a small guest room up and out of the way through a complex blink route through the upper shadows of several rooms, some that had civvies in them, and took particular care to always close the guest room door behind me. I repeated this as best I could in every level, sometimes taking guards quite a distance.

I tried very hard to make sure that would not happen again.
    PLA wrote: »
    The new blink looks jank. I don't really see elasticity so much as a trunk punching at the distance and then sort of being forgotten as the user just jetpacks over instead.

Yeah its a bit odd. But I get a feeling of power. I don't think its meant to be elastic. I think its meant to be an enormously strong spectral ectoplasmy arm pulling them in, and that can happen extremely fast.
    Otherwise the one down the stairwell looks extremely odd.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »

Perhaps the person you don't choose stays at your base and supports your campaign of murder/justice ?

It would make a nice change to play a woman out to rescue her male love interest/mentor/friend, however.

If the other person just stayed at your base, there wouldn't really be a reason you couldn't switch. But like I said, the way they answered it made it sound like it wouldn't make any sense to be able to switch, which would seem to indicate that the one you don't choose is indisposed in some way.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Playing as Cor or Em with separate powers has me well up front on the hype train. I don't want to get my hopes up but if they say they have separate stories I'm going to lose it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'm a lil bummed that they seem to be just continuing the story and characters from the Dishonored 1 since the first game felt like a nice isolated adventure complete with endings that seemed to close the book on these people's lives (hate it when sequels go back on that).

Would have preferred to have seen them focus on an entirely different set of characters and country and go from there rather than bringing Emily and Corvo back.

But it'll be a great game like the first so eh, I'll live with it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Playing as Cor or Em with separate powers has me well up front on the hype train. I don't want to get my hopes up but if they say they have separate stories I'm going to lose it.

I could see it being like RE1

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm a lil bummed that they seem to be just continuing the story and characters from the Dishonored 1 since the first game felt like a nice isolated adventure complete with endings that seemed to close the book on these people's lives (hate it when sequels go back on that).

Would have preferred to have seen them focus on an entirely different set of characters and country and go from there rather than bringing Emily and Corvo back.

But it'll be a great game like the first so eh, I'll live with it.

I wont lie when i started watching I thought it was a new place with a new person.
    I was both vaguely disappointed and interested that it was Emily.
    It's a weird feeling.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Very happy that though there are two characters, they made the lady the face of the game. You don't see that ever really.

Fuzzytadpole on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm so glad we're getting a new Darkness game

liEt3nH.png
    I don't think it was so much "we want a female lead" as "given the story of the first, Emily just makes sense".

I do hope she talks though. She was a good character in the first and it'd be a shame if they don't have that characterization continue.

Not that you can't do those things with a silent protagonist, but you'd have to change the way the game plays out significantly to make it work.

So I'll throw my vote in the "Emily should talk, and Corso stay a mime" barrel.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Hopefully this game won't give me a bunch of combat options then tell me I'm a monster for using them.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I also played Dishonored "boring" style. In fact I believe I would have gotten the no deaths achievement even, had I not killed one of the main targets. I don't even remember which one it was, just that he fucking deserved it. I read somewhere that dumpsters were the safest place to stash bodies so that's what I did, just piling up guard corpses in numbers so large that they would actually start despawning because I had too many sleeping guards in the dumpsters.

What a weird conversation that would be when they all started waking up later, 10-12 dudes all unconscious in the same dumpster.

The final level is actually really boring if you stealth all the way through it for zero casualties. It was clearly designed for an epic murder spree, which I never got around to doing.

I also played Dishonored "boring" style. In fact I believe I would have gotten the no deaths achievement even, had I not killed one of the main targets. I don't even remember which one it was, just that he fucking deserved it. I read somewhere that dumpsters were the safest place to stash bodies so that's what I did, just piling up guard corpses in numbers so large that they would actually start despawning because I had too many sleeping guards in the dumpsters.

What a weird conversation that would be when they all started waking up later, 10-12 dudes all unconscious in the same dumpster.

The final level is actually really boring if you stealth all the way through it for zero casualties. It was clearly designed for an epic murder spree, which I never got around to doing.

Probably the assassin?

Because for the rest of them, the no-kill option is usually worse than death.

Probably the assassin?

Because for the rest of them, the no-kill option is usually worse than death.

It may have been him, in fact I recall hating him quite a bit.

And then I didn't buy the DLC because it was about him, so yeah probably.

edited June 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    Hopefully this game won't give me a bunch of combat options then tell me I'm a monster for using them.

Personally I found it refreshing that the inhabitants living next to a genuine monster who can murder thousands of people without breaking a sweat and does so with wild abandon treated him like one.

But what I would like is a lot more non killing stealth mechanics and abilities.

I'd really like the ability to grab and pull guards up into the shadows of the rafters, then hang them up there Batman style.

Morninglord on
    Yeah, for the others, the no kill options were something like:
    Corrupt priest: Branded on the face with a hot iron, exiled with an order that it's illegal to even talk to him. Ends up in the walled off area, consumed by the plague.

Twins: Heads shaved, tongues cut out, thrown into one of their own mines as slaves where nobody knows who they are.

Lady Boyle: At best, a sex slave.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I was pretty pumped when I saw the trailer because from the shots of the land, I assumed it was taking place in Pandyssia, which the lore in the first game made sound reallllly interesting.

vamen wrote: »
    I was pretty pumped when I saw the trailer because from the shots of the land, I assumed it was taking place in Pandyssia, which the lore in the first game made sound reallllly interesting.

Yeah me too.

I swashbuckle.