Options

Armenian Genocide- Or, a rose by any other name...

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    romanlevin wrote: »
    I get a very strong "moon landing never happened" vibe of ege02.

ie he has "sources" non of us has ever heard of, or is mentally capable to hear. If you know what I'm saying.

We have had a couple of other "Armenian genocide" threads in the past, and I've shared plenty of sources in them. Knuckle Dragger can vouch for this.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    How about moving away from 1915 and start classifying Western Europe's Geneocide of natives and rituals to bring in "Good Christan Values" to its inhabitants. Why is there an outcry of Genocide for Turkey but none of the EU members? Do they deny their own hand in destorying many cultures and values?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How about moving away from 1915 and start classifying Western Europe's Geneocide of natives and rituals to bring in "Good Christan Values" to its inhabitants. Why is there an outcry of Genocide for Turkey but none of the EU members? Do they deny their own hand in destorying many cultures and values?
    Because most countries have acknowledged that colonialism and imperialsm fucked a lot of shit up. (See: Belgian Congo.)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How about moving away from 1915 and start classifying Western Europe's Geneocide of natives and rituals to bring in "Good Christan Values" to its inhabitants.
    Because this thread is about the genocide that happened to the Armenians, not the European pagans?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    romanlevinromanlevin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Because of better documentation and the fact it happened more recently?

EDIT: Beat'd twice.

romanlevin on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    How about moving away from 1915 and start classifying Western Europe's Geneocide of natives and rituals to bring in "Good Christan Values" to its inhabitants.
    Because this thread is about the genocide that happened to the Armenians, not the European pagans?

I think Katchem_ash brings up a nice point regarding double-standards and "history is written by the winners". Not unrelated to this topic.

ege02 on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

I think Katchem_ash brings up a nice point regarding double-standards and "history is written by the winners". Not unrelated to this topic.
    No one is contesting that what happened to the pagans under Christendom was anything other than genocide. The same cannot be said for what happened to the Armenians under the Ottomans.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Trail of Tears was a genocidal action.

Many other wars were genocidal in nature.

Many genocides are going on right now.

Do you think we think Turkey and Germany are the only countries who "genocide" applies to or something?

I certainly don't think so.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Because most countries have acknowledged that colonialism and imperialsm fucked a lot of shit up. (See: Belgian Congo.)

Do they call it Genocide? Do they come up and say "yes its Genocide cause we destoryed tons of Culture to get material wealth which we are still using today?"

@romanlevin So you saying that there is no documention that the Western Powers occupied countries, took over thier religious belifs and instilled "Good Christan Values" on them? Think before your answer.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So when every single other country owns up to every single atrocity that occured involving their ancestors, then Turkey should? How does that fact that one country doesn't want to do what's right have on any bearing on what another should do?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No one is contesting that what happened to the pagans under Christendom was anything other than genocide. The same cannot be said for what happened to the Armenians under the Ottomans.

But do we get calls form countries calling for it to be described as Genocide or condeming the countries or is it "yeah we did it. So what?" Cause thats the attitudes I see with France and Spain.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Trail of Tears was a genocidal action.

Many other wars were genocidal in nature.

Many genocides are going on right now.

Do you think we think Turkey and Germany are the only countries who "genocide" applies to or something?

I certainly don't think so.

It certainly is one of the few about which you are passing a resolution.

ege02 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

But do we get calls form countries calling for it to be described as Genocide or condeming the countries or is it "yeah we did it. So what?" Cause thats the attitudes I see with France and Spain.
    well, actually, it's more "Yeah it happened, how do we deal with it?" Which is significantly different.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

France is pretty darned famous for slicing off heads.

I don't see them being in denial about their mass murders.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    So when every single other country owns up to every single atrocity that occured involving their ancestors, then Turkey should? How does that fact that one country doesn't want to do what's right have on any bearing on what another should do?

Because people in class stone shouldn't throw rocks. When America admits that Native Americans were killed in a massive Genocide and call it a Genoside then they should be forced to call on other countries to admit it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, ege, straight up. Did the Ottoman Empire commit genocide against the Armeninans?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Because people in class stone shouldn't throw rocks. When America admits that Native Americans were killed in a massive Genocide and call it a Genoside then they should be forced to call on other countries to admit it.

I'm an American.

It was Genocide.

Next.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No, it just helps ease worries of Turkey being targeted specifically.

I mean, you have to think about this whole thing in broader perspective. This is not only the matter of genocide. USA has always been a one-way ally for us; they've always gotten what they wanted without fulfilling their promises. Turkey naturally feels taken advantage of. This resolution is the final straw. You can push people's patience only so far before they snap.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The fact that we annihilated several cultures is acknowledged, even if we don't call it genocide.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I think it was genocide. I don't deny that our government is being retarded about it either. I think Turkey should admit their own past regardless of how stupid my own government can be.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah but does the world call it Genocide? Does the fact of the matter that France commited Genocide on many aspects of peoples lives in French Polynesia and others matter not? When France or others do it "Oh its all right! DOWN WITH THEM!" But when you ask about their actions it like "So What?"

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The fact that we annihilated several cultures is acknowledged, even if we don't call it genocide.

Why not? Does Genocide not apply it to cultures no longer there? Does Genocide not count before the 1900? Does the mass wipe of the native cultures to implant "Good Christan Values" not count as Genocide? Whats makes the other countries so special that they can leave without a scratch but agianst Turkey its all "GENOCIDE!"

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah but does the world call it Genocide? Does the fact of the matter that France commited Genocide on many aspects of peoples lives in French Polynesia and others matter not? When France or others do it "Oh its all right! DOWN WITH THEM!" But when you ask about their actions it like "So What?"

O_o

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    So, ege, straight up. Did the Ottoman Empire commit genocide against the Armeninans?

The actions of the Ottoman Empire caused the deaths of about a million Armenians.

I don't accept that it was genocide, due to my belief - based my own research - that the intent was not to annihilate the population. In some outlier cases it may have been, but the official state policy never was "exterminate the Armenians" unlike it was with Germany and the Jews.

You have to remember that the suspect is innocent unless proven without a reasonable amount of doubt that he is guilty. Poor record-keeping practices during that era makes it difficult to reduce that doubt below the necessary threshold. Until proof appears that points conclusively at the Ottoman government's - rather than a relatively few rebellious army officers' - sole intent at destroying the Armenians, I will personally never accept that it was genocide.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I think all the other countries are just jealous of Turkey.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dare you to find a congressman who says "So what" to what happened to the Indians. They're still coming up short of calling it genocide. And it's terribly stupid. Are you saying that Turkey is being terribly stupid also, or that they're just waiting for everyone else to stop being terribly stupid so they can feel vindicated?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You have to remember that the suspect is innocent unless proven without a reasonable amount of doubt that he is guilty.

This is pretty funny.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I dare you to find a congressman who says "So what" to what happened to the Indians. They're still coming up short of calling it genocide. And it's terribly stupid. Are you saying that Turkey is being terribly stupid also, or that they're just waiting for everyone else to stop being terribly stupid so they can feel vindicated?

You need to practice what you preach before other countries will start taking you seriously regarding the matter.

Dictating massacres in history as genocides when you haven't even owned up to your own crimes makes people regard you with :roll:

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I admit that it was a Genocide, just like the Russians killing Central Asians when they invaded, or when France/Spain/UK Colonized countries. All those were Genocides. All of them must be brought to justice. I am still waiting for Europeans to be called up to admit it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You need to practice what you preach before other countries will start taking you seriously regarding the matter.

Dictating massacres in history as genocides when you haven't even owned up to your own crimes makes people regard you with
    Again, I am practicing what I preach. I am not in denial about what people entirely unrelated to me did hundreds of years ago. You seem to be.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You have to remember that the suspect is innocent unless proven without a reasonable amount of doubt that he is guilty.

This is pretty funny.

Why is it funny? The American justice system operates on the basis of innocence, not guilt. When it comes to judging other countries, however, this is reversed; people first make up their minds that the country in question is guilty, then they try to prove it.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Dictating massacres in history as genocides when you haven't even owned up to your own crimes makes people regard you with
    Again, I am practicing what I preach. I am not in denial about what people entirely unrelated to me did hundreds of years ago. You seem to be.

I am not denying that it happened. I am denying that it was genocide.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

This is pretty funny.

Why is it funny? The American justice system operates on the basis of innocence, not guilt.

No, no it doesn't.

Certain kinds of trial operate on this, other kinds just require reasonable evidence.

Go look up the OJ Trials.

He was found "innocent," and then penalized.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I admit that it was a Genocide, just like the Russians killing Central Asians when they invaded, or when France/Spain/UK Colonized countries. All those were Genocides. All of them must be brought to justice. I am still waiting for Europeans to be called up to admit it.

Out of curiosity, and I know I'm going to regret this, how do you bring someone to justice for completely exterminating an entire race of people two hundred years ago?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does katchem even know that the word genocide means?

How do you commit genocide on an aspect of people's lives?

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

Out of curiosity, and I know I'm going to regret this, how do you bring someone to justice for completely exterminating an entire race of people two hundred years ago?

Same way you'll bring Turkey to justice. Shouldn't be to hard should it?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You genocide their progeny.

edit: Ash, we're not bringing anyone to justice. We're acknowleding the fact that the act happened. That's it, no one's going to jail or paying a fine. This doesn't effect anything except the feelings of the Armenians and apparently the people of Turkey.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

What's this "bringing to justice" garbage you're spewing?

Fessing up about your grandparents doesn't mean punishment for what they did.

Otherwise this would be the United States of Native America.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No one is trying to bring Turkey to justice. People are trying to get them to admit it happened. They refuse to. This is the problem.

It's like if the German government was denying the Holocaust had occurred. Or rather, that they were saying it wasn't intentional. The Jews they were holding just happened to slip and fall into ovens.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am not denying that it happened. I am denying that it was genocide.
    Targeting a specific group of people, taking their property, and then moving many of them into forced labor and eventually just marching them into the middle of the desert doesn't strike you as genocide?

Quid on