As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Great Big E3 Thread of Announcements, Leaks, Hype, and Doom!

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    big names talking on Nintendo treehouse right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arFsxZ8QWPM

oh, it's about star fox

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Are you all still popping boners for David Anfossi in here?

arton46942.jpg

super hot

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Stealth update to Wii U Hyrule Warriors adds classic 80s Link, just now.

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm really not seeing Star Fox as a 60 dollar game.

It looked very N64, visually. Though I still want to play it as I loved Starfox back in the day.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The fact that people are calling a trailer for game that'e been in development for a decade and still looks almost exactly the same and still doesn't have a release date, a CGI teaser for a remake for a 20 year old game that will probably never actually come out and was just shoved out there to shut people up, and a Kickstarter launch "historic" is....kind of sad? I mean, be excited for them all you want, but it's hardly historic.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    What's kind of interesting about the Direct today was that the theme of it (and this E3 for Nintendo) was "Transformation."

This, right here, would be the perfect place to talk about the next generation of consoles, the next gen of mobile games, the next gen of all their franchises.

That... makes me wonder.. if there isn't more in store we haven't seen. I know NX is too early, even given Nintendo's preference for 5 year release cycles (especially if it combines the 3DS and Wii U). But something is just making me think there is more out there...

Don't get hyped. There will be at least one other Nintendo game shown this E3 that hasn't been announced yet, but it'll be on the scale of Codename Steam, like last year.

I've been following video games for nearly 20 years now. I know better than to get hyped. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Watch the 3 GT guys react to the FF7 reveal, they lose their shit. Crawling on top of chairs etc, while the one woman just kind of looks at them confused, as if they all just lost their minds.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I'm not allowed to think things are cool unless they release in less that six months. Okay.

Said literally nobody.

Man, not directly no, but the feeling is there when there's a lot of ultra dismissive talk about Sony's conference specifically to counter the hype. 'A game that should've been out four years ago', 'a remake of a twenty year old game', etc.

Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn' after Microsoft's conference or at any point since, since those are definitely reasons to be excited for a lot of people too.

Those comments were in direct response to someone saying that NOT being excited was 'inexcusable'. There has been no criticism of people who are legitimately excited, however when someone's opinion is called out as 'inexcusable' people tend to go on the defensive.
    Like the thread didn't go 'oh whoopie-doo, more Halo and Gears yawwwwwn'

Yes, a part of it did. And a part of it didn't. Just like with the reactions to the above games.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    jeff is great.

the sony conference had nothing coming out this calendar year, and only one game with a date. that date was an entire year window as well on a game that has been in development hell for almost a decade.

Which should have been a surprise to no one given they've said this in one way or another since UC4's delay.

It's also interesting, now that it's actually happening, the negative nancying surrounding TLG.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Awesome! Free char?

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Nintendo's showing was pretty disappointing, MS finally left the doghouse this year, and managed to not have the worst conference of the big 3.

That Metroid game is going to bomb, hard. After Other M, the franchise needs to be rebuilt; it's in no condition to create spin-offs with it's name shackled onto it as if it were Mario.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

Said literally nobody.

Well Gears and Halo are definitely coming out.

This remains to be seen with Last Guardian, Shenmue, and FFVII.

Personally I just resent that it feels like Sony trades heavily on nostalgia and what they know will stick it to Microsoft without ever bothering to fully deliver.

3cl1ps3 on
    vamen wrote: »
    Awesome! Free char?

I think it's just an outfit, still normal Link gameplay, but yeah it's cool! I'll take free stuff.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Awesome! Free char?

Still Link, so just a costume for his 7 weapons.

God I love all 7 of those weapons.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Nintendo's showing was pretty disappointing, MS finally left the doghouse this year, and managed to not have the worst conference of the big 3.

That Metroid game is going to bomb, hard. After Other M, the franchise needs to be rebuilt; it's in no condition to create spin-offs with it's name shackled onto it as if it were Mario.

I was so damn disappointed with Nintendo's Direct. The only interesting new thing they showed was the Mario & Luigi Paper Mario crossover, and the new Star Fox. A 4-player co-op Metroid game is so far removed from what a Metroid game is what people want, I have to think they're just deliberately trolling.

LxX6eco.jpg
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I was so damn disappointed with Nintendo's Direct. The only interesting new thing they showed was the Mario & Luigi Paper Mario crossover, and the new Star Fox. A 4-player co-op Metroid game is so far removed from what a Metroid game is what people want, I have to think they're just deliberately trolling.

What do people want in a Metroid game? Other than Not Other M?

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Nintendo fans are not generally responding well to the Animal Crossing Amiibo game. Especially since it's 60 dollars and you need a unique Amiibo for each player.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud

A fucking Metroid game.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I think people really liked the Prime games and want more in that style.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I suppose a single player exploration game with ability unlocks as you progress that get you to new areas?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    jeff is great.

the sony conference had nothing coming out this calendar year, and only one game with a date. that date was an entire year window as well on a game that has been in development hell for almost a decade.

Which should have been a surprise to no one given they've said this in one way or another since UC4's delay.

It's also interesting, now that it's actually happening, the negative nancying surrounding TLG.

right, but that's why giant bomb isn't flipping tables and screaming and crawling on the ground like gametrailers or something. saying being concerned with that conference is "inexcusable" is ridiculous. alex goes into this during the post-show.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This has been the best E3 2017 ever.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    metroid is super weird since isn't metroid a low tier franchise in japan? doesn't sell well and doesn't have the same level of love that it does here.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    3clipse wrote: »

2D would be fine, too.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

I am so bitterly disappointed that they didn't confirm a Wii U version of Legends (that includes all the DLC plus new characters).

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U? I'd really rather play that game on a console.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    E3 conference impressions:

Bethesda: Interested in Doom almost entirely as a curiosity, but Fallout 4 is a must-buy.
    Microsoft: Well done conference, even if they didn't show anything of particular interest to me. The Minecraft Hololens thing was nifty.
    EA: Mostly boring, Battlefront looks and sounds pretty good but I'm not sure if the content will be there (outside of some EA Season Pass thing, that is).
    Ubisoft: A thousand times yes to a new South Park game, otherwise Ubisoft came off as the guy who thinks he's the life of the party but doesn't notice everyone trying to avoid eye contact.
    Sony: No Man's Sky would be enough to sell me on the PS4 (if it wasn't coming to the PC), Horizon looked awesome, the FFVII remake will either be perfectly acceptable or a bitter reminder to people that nostalgia ain't all it's cracked up to be. I want to play it either way, and hope it comes to PC. Uncharted looks like a technological achievement, but I need my games to be a little less thrill-ride these days and a little more substantive.
    Nintendo: I could feel my heart crack in half Ralph Wiggum-style when they revealed that Animal Crossing party boardgame thing. If it wasn't obvious they were putting a mercy bullet in the Wii U before, they done gone and pulled the freaking trigger. I'm fairly confident the new Zelda will be cross-platform with the NX (since Nintendo is in a position where they need to sell the hell out of a new console), but even if it isn't, it's taking a lot of personal willpower not to rush to Gamestop and trade in this doorstop while I can still get some decent money for it. I don't have a 3DS because I don't really play games on the go, so there's no point in getting angry about the Metroid thing.
    Square Enix: See FFVII remake thoughts above, Kingdom Hearts will be beautiful but it still has that obviously-translated pseudo-philosophy thing going on, when I just want to fight monsters with Disney friends. I really liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution and hope this new one is good too.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

I am so bitterly disappointed that they didn't confirm a Wii U version of Legends (that includes all the DLC plus new characters).

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U?
    I'd really rather play that game on a console.

Yep, they will.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    jeff is great.

given these are the same people who get visibility frustrated when people freak out and scream while at press conferences as it's an industry event, short of something actually groundbreaking happening you're not going to get that much of a rise out of them.

If Last Guardian, FFVII Remake and Shenmue III all being announced within minutes of each other doesn't count as "groundbreaking" then I don't know what to tell you.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U? I'd really rather play that game on a console.

The small patch that contains that skin straight up says you can transfer the characters from the 3DS version to the Wii U.

No clue if they'll be a DLC pack for those not wanting to double dip, but they'd be idiotic not to.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

Said literally nobody.

Those comments were in direct response to someone saying that NOT being excited was 'inexcusable'. There has been no criticism of people who are legitimately excited, however when someone's opinion is called out as 'inexcusable' people tend to go on the defensive.

Yes, a part of it did. And a part of it didn't. Just like with the reactions to the above games.

Nah, the dismissals started basically immediately after the conference ended and have been going on since. I missed said reactions to Gears and Halo but I guess the important distinction is that it's not still going on.

But whatever.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Where's the cross on that shield?

jeff is great.

given these are the same people who get visibility frustrated when people freak out and scream while at press conferences as it's an industry event, short of something actually groundbreaking happening you're not going to get that much of a rise out of them.

If Last Guardian, FFVII Remake and Shenmue III all being announced within minutes of each other doesn't count as "groundbreaking" then I don't know what to tell you.

It isn't.

Last Guardian looks exactly the same and begs the question what have they been doing, and doesn't have a release date

FF7 remake is a remake of a 20 year old game and all they showed was a 30 second CGI teaser (and probably isn't coming out)

And Shenmue was a kickstarter launch (albeit a successful one)

LxX6eco.jpg
    Nintendo fans are not generally responding well to the Animal Crossing Amiibo game. Especially since it's 60 dollars and you need a unique Amiibo for each player.

Well that's part of the experiment. They haven't done the Amiibo centric game yet, they've always been extras. If it sells like shit then they correct course in the future and keep them minor bonuses.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Look, all I want is another Super Metroid. Not a remake, but that kind of Metroid. Give me a well-designed 2D game with a large map to explore, oppressively lonely atmosphere, and a horde of items and powerups to find and use.

There is a reason that the genre is called "Metroidvania".

Said literally nobody.

Nah, the dismissals started basically immediately after the conference ended and have been going on since. I missed said reactions to Gears and Halo but I guess the important distinction is that it's not still going on.

But whatever.

A big chunk of the Sony hype was along the lines of "they beat Microsoft," which is pretty dismissal-y.

I feel like this thread is slowly devolving into "stop not liking the things I like!"

Well that's part of the experiment. They haven't done the Amiibo centric game yet, they've always been extras. If it sells like shit then they correct course in the future and keep them minor bonuses.

This is a shitty Amiibo game. Where is the Skylanders-style Amiibo game?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    metroid is super weird since isn't metroid a low tier franchise in japan? doesn't sell well and doesn't have the same level of love that it does here.

Metroid may be one of very few, or perhaps only, franchises made in Japan that does remarkably better in the west than there. As such, Nintendo doesn't really have any real idea what to do with it. Other M seemed like an attempt to make it popular in Japan. From what I understand, it did no better than previous games there, and did poorly in the US both critically, and sales-wise.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

ZYjA0xz.jpg

Has it been confirmed/debunked yet if the new 3DS characters will be available on Wii U?
    I'd really rather play that game on a console.

Yep, they will.

But you have to transfer them from the 3DS version, yes?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Well, I'd want a singleplayer adventure-exploration game, myself.

Like, the chibi teamwork game looks legitimately fun, and if it had come riding the tails of a more mainstream Metroid announcement I'd be super happy for t, but as the sole presence of Metroid... well, I guess it's trying to make people forget about Other M.

Steam ID: Right here.
This discussion has been closed.