Options

Witness the [Movie] Thread! It lives! It dies! It lives again!

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The opening credits to the watchmen movies justify the entire rest of the movie, flat out.

I wouldn't actually recommend people watch the rest of the movie, of course

But if we had to get those couple of hours for that 5 minute montage, I think it is a fair trade.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Watchmen is definitely a very hit or miss flick, depending on what you're talking about.

The casting was eh, overall, but a few of them were really good.

Laurie, Dan and Ozy were all pretty mediocre performances.

Manhattan was good, and very accurate to the source material.

Comedian was mostly fine, although he has only a few scenes so it's hard to remember.

Haley knocked it out of the park as Rorschach, though.

It's a shame that
    They added Dan to his death scene just so he could have a silly "NOOOOOO" that had no reason to be put in there.

Also giving Manhattan's final line to Laurie instead made no sense at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I think a one-hand number of edits and a one-middle-finger number of recastings (OZYMANDIAS) could have elevated Watchmen in a big way

This is considering the Director's Cut, which is the only one I've seen

Matthew Goode and whomever cast him as Ozy should be tried at the Hague

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Watchmen was a solid adaptation of a difficult work

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I watched Watchmen again recently

It held up even less favorably than it did at release

Holy shit, that whole film is deeply, profoundly cheesy

Like, even the big dramatic scenes are so poorly acted and directed they feel like cartoons

It's comic book-y in the bad way, in a story that depends on it not feeling very comic book-y at all

The only part that was at all compelling was the entire Dr. Manhattan sequence, and I had a lot more respect for Billy Crudup's performance than I did before

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It's probably the best we could have hoped for, which in my opinion is damning with faint praise.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Good things about Watchmen: The Movie

1. Opening Montage
    2. Rorschach
    3. Comedian
    4. Dr. Manhattan

Everything else needed to go into the trash or at least spending some more time at the polishing table.
    Maybe not the Nite Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene, but that's because I thought it was so ridiculous it was hilarious, and I'm an odd duck like that

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think Watchmen was more or less fine on the surface but it's the more subtle and tonal changes that hurt it more. Ozymandias was made to be more obviously villainous. Nite Owl was made to be more badass. The violence wasn't treated with the right level of seriousness. It just felt like there was an effort to make things cool and sensationalistic when it just wasn't appropriate.

Also, some of the acting was pretty weak. Maybe the reason why they gave some of Silk Spectre's lines to other characters was because Malin Akerman wasn't up to the task. But then they shouldn't have cast her in the first place.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Watchmen was fundamentally flawed in that it was made by a guy who adored the comic book but didn't understand it.

Things like making Ozymandias villainous in temper from the start because he's the villain right? They just miss so much of why the comic did what it did, and without that complexity, it feels consistently lacking in substance.

That said, I thought Nite Owl and The Comedian were both done very well by two actors struggling to star in a better movie.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It depends. Do you like dinosaurs?

Not really, no

:(

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's probably the best we could have hoped for, which in my opinion is damning with faint praise.

It could have turned out fine with a director that wasn't emphasizing things that Watchmen specifically was not about.

Like action sequences

There is not a single scene in the Watchmen comic where a fight is going on for the sake of having a fight on screen.

Nothing happens in the comic for no reason.

In the prison break scene, we're treated to a really awkward sequence where Dan and Laurie fight some escaped thugs and it just feels out of place.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Watchmen is the only movie I can recall where there is a sex scene that made the audience burst out in laughter.
    I am still not sure if that was intended to be that awkward or not.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ha-le-luuuuu-yah
    Ha-le-luuuuuu-yah

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Watchmen is the only movie I can recall where there is a sex scene that made the audience burst out in laughter.
    I am still not sure if that was intended to be that awkward or not.

So

I am not a Snyder fan or a huge fan of that movie

but that scene is shot for shot how it is in the comic, and yeah I'm pretty sure moore wanted it to be that weird

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    to be fair

the ridiculous part of that scene for me was the music

which is absent, of course, in the comic

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    to be fair

wait you don't have the version with music?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Honestly, the reasoning behind the choice of music was so overt, they may as well have used Ode to Joy.

• Options
    to be fair

Comic books don't typically have soundtracks.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    to be fair

Comic books don't typically have soundtracks.

ron-swanson.jpg?resize=800%2C569

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Solar wrote: »
    Watchmen was fundamentally flawed in that it was made by a guy who adored the comic book but didn't understand it.

Things like making Ozymandias villainous in temper from the start because he's the villain right? They just miss so much of why the comic did what it did, and without that complexity, it feels consistently lacking in substance.

That said, I thought Nite Owl and The Comedian were both done very well by two actors struggling to star in a better movie.

Yeah he just really had zero idea

Langly on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Watchmen literally made my girlfriend physically ill

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Toy Story 1 made me physically Ill

Also Coraline

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The only movie to make my stomach turn just a little bit was actually Revenge of the Sith, the opening battle scene made me dizzy and nauseous.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2015
    I don't think a movie has ever made me physically Ill.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I don't see the problem with that sex scene to be honest

An attractive couple screwing on screen

Isn't the entirety of our culture's art basically a thin veneer of respectability over the raging ocean of our voyeuristic desires.

Solar on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with that sex scene to be honest

An attractive couple screwing on screen

Isn't the entirety of our culture's art basically a thin veneer of respectability over the raging ocean of our voyeuristic desires.

I mean it's not about it being racy it's that it is not a good scene

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    watchmen is a disassociate collective of scenes that some really, really work and some are awful. i don't even look at it as a movie.

i don't blame patrick wilson or malin akerman for their performances, as seeing them in everything else, they are clearly great. i just don't think snyder knew what to do with them as they are really the only "human" characters in the story.

i always saw the ultra violence in the movie as kind of a reflection as to how fucked up the violence was supposed to be in the comic. like, it is not the usual snyder violence, it's definitely attuned more to discomfort than to look cool.

i also really liked the animated black freighter thing narrated by gerard butler cut into the ultimate cut.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I was mostly joking

Although I have still never had any problem with the scene myself

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I saw Watchmen once and thought it was OK.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    the music is really poorly chosen and servers as a really cheesy, groan worthy narration for the scene

• Options
    People's opinion of the Watchmen sex scene is basically how I feel about every sex scene in a movie.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MacGruber has the best sex scene in a film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Sex is icky anyway.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    People's opinion of the Watchmen sex scene is basically how I feel about every sex scene in a movie.

that it's kind of weird to hear the HALLELUJAH lyric reach crescendo right as the actress throws her head back in apparent ecstasy?

• Options

that it's kind of weird to hear the HALLELUJAH lyric reach crescendo right as the actress throws her head back in apparent ecstasy?

That is def. the weirdest part of every single sex scene

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The only movie sex scene that felt natural was the one in Crank.

• Options

More that it's dumb and a waste of time.

Sex scenes are go refill your drink time.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Getting a hot, hard, throbbin' boner is never a waste of time, if you ask me about boners and time.

• Options
    I will absolutely agree that some sex scenes in some movies are totally gratuitous and utter wastes of time

but man there are some places where they absolutely belong and can be used effectively

• Options
    <- asexual

Give me tasteful fades to black every time.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.