As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robots, Automation and Basic Income: Big 21st Century Problems

1111213141517»

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Good news: the Obama admin has set overtime requirements to about $50k a year. Higher would be better, but it's something.

I wonder how retailers are going to deal with this. I remember when I worked at gamestop I was making 33k, and I was considered overpaid whole I was working 70+ hours a week.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the response will be, sadly, to push for more part time workers who only get 29 hours a week.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    zakkiel wrote: »
    Good news: the Obama admin has set overtime requirements to about $50k a year. Higher would be better, but it's something.

I wonder how retailers are going to deal with this. I remember when I worked at gamestop I was making 33k, and I was considered overpaid whole I was working 70+ hours a week.

I think the only response retail can make short term is to hire more people.

Edit: though if they're working you 70+ hours, it would be more efficient to just raise your pay to 50k.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It's a screw-job for employers: either spread the responsibility among more employees which decreases efficiency (say, having to double the number of assistant managers), and hiring more people to work something approaching full-time also means more payouts in training and benefits. Or you just bite the bullet and pay them more.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    It's a screw-job for employers: either spread the responsibility among more employees which decreases efficiency (say, having to double the number of assistant managers), and hiring more people to work something approaching full-time also means more payouts in training and benefits. Or you just bite the bullet and pay them more.

I don't think the idea of paying a fair and equitable wage should be considered a "screw-job for employers". Rather, we are reducing the screw job given to labor by the employers.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    An automotive assembly line robot mortally injured a worker at a car factory in Germany this week, a prosecutor's office said.

The man, 21, was installing the robot at a Volkswagen assembly line on Tuesday in Baunatal, which lies next to the city of Kassel, local newspaper the Hessische Niedersaechsische Allgemeine reported, citing a VW spokesman. The robot gripped him and pressed up him against a metal plate, crushing his chest.

Despite efforts to revive him, the worker, an employee of a third-party vendor, later died in hospital, the paper reported.

As a matter of procedure necessary to have the body released in cases of non-natural death, the state prosecutors' office said it is investigating to rule out any criminal culpability.

CNN placed calls to multiple press spokespeople at Volkswagen, but was unable to reach one.

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

What, you view hiring more people or paying them more is a screw-job? I would call those the chief goals of labor policy.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    An automotive assembly line robot mortally injured a worker at a car factory in Germany this week, a prosecutor's office said.

The man, 21, was installing the robot at a Volkswagen assembly line on Tuesday in Baunatal, which lies next to the city of Kassel, local newspaper the Hessische Niedersaechsische Allgemeine reported, citing a VW spokesman. The robot gripped him and pressed up him against a metal plate, crushing his chest.

Despite efforts to revive him, the worker, an employee of a third-party vendor, later died in hospital, the paper reported.

As a matter of procedure necessary to have the body released in cases of non-natural death, the state prosecutors' office said it is investigating to rule out any criminal culpability.

CNN placed calls to multiple press spokespeople at Volkswagen, but was unable to reach one.

It begins.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Phasen wrote: »

It begins.

This poor woman on Twitter got soooooooooooo many crazy Terminator tweets when she started reporting about this story for the Financial Times in London. Why? Her name's Sarah O'Connor.

https://twitter.com/sarahoconnor_

Mixture of :lol: and :bigfrown:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

Ummm... OK.

Just sort of wonder how many thousand people have been killed and maimed by 'dumb' non-robotic machine tools and assembly line equipment.

Like, a hundred times more in any given year than the total killed by robotic things ever?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options

If you are working on a piece of machinery, you follow Lockout/Tagout procedures. You disconnect the power source, lock it, and tag it. This death is entirely the result of human error, and I find attempts to portray this as a robot homicide to be in extremely poor taste. The death of a young man shouldn't be fodder for humor.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Another monthly jobs report, another period of wage stagnation in the US. Actually, wage growth came in below inflation. Odd, if we're supposed to believe that employers are chasing after all those retiring boomers. Almost as if the low labor force participation is the result of employers not wanting workers instead of workers not wanting work.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    So Google has been working on improving AI image recognition and classification. And one way of testing that the neural net knows what it is looking for, is to make it generate images on its own. Now on it's own, this probably doesn't seem that interesting to most people, but the really cool thing that is happening is what the AI does when they let it loose to keep iterating on it's own images.

They've basically automated abstract art.

1302697548585961875.png
    1302697548523125139.png

Google themselves give a way better explanation than I can.

And they set up a gallery full of some of the crazy stuff it's come up with too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If that is how AI sees no wonder it is bound to turn on us and wipe us out.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Veagle wrote: »
    So Google has been working on improving AI image recognition and classification. And one way of testing that the neural net knows what it is looking for, is to make it generate images on its own. Now on it's own, this probably doesn't seem that interesting to most people, but the really cool thing that is happening is what the AI does when they let it loose to keep iterating on it's own images.

They've basically automated abstract art.
    1302697548585961875.png
    1302697548523125139.png

Google themselves give a way better explanation than I can.

And they set up a gallery full of some of the crazy stuff it's come up with too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxSerkkP4o

I am tripping balls right now.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Enc wrote: »

This is actually alarmingly similar to what happens when people go in sensory deprivation tanks. After 10 minutes almost everyone starts hallucinating, because your brains pattern matching is just flailing around trying match every tiny perturbation it sees.

Edit: in fact if you think about it this starts to get really creepy. What is imagination or the minds eye, if not the over-exaggerated sense-data of the brains neurons being cycled and then fed back to us and mixed up with sense data at a low level?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

This is actually alarmingly similar to what happens when people go in sensory deprivation tanks. After 10 minutes almost everyone starts hallucinating, because your brains pattern matching is just flailing around trying match every tiny perturbation it sees.

Edit: in fact if you think about it this starts to get really creepy. What is imagination or the minds eye, if not the over-exaggerated sense-data of the brains neurons being cycled and then fed back to us and mixed up with sense data at a low level?

I hold that creativity is a bit of localized insanity. To imagine is to create a mental world that differs from the real one.