As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help finding a GarageBand program for PC

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey Im a psdo-musician. I just dicovered the Mac program "Garageband" but I don't have a mac. It looked really useful and I would like something like it that I could run. PA seems to be a fountain of information so I was hoping someone here new a similer program?

Quire.jpg
nightmarenny on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I believe Band in a Box is what you want.

I've also heard good things about Fruity Loops.

oldsak on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey Im a psdo-musician. I just dicovered the Mac program "Garageband" but I don't have a mac. It looked really useful and I would like something like it that I could run. PA seems to be a fountain of information so I was hoping someone here new a similer program?

What exactly is it you would be doing with GarageBand? There are a lot of PC programs that replicate the various functionalities of GarageBand - Audacity is a good open-source program for live recording, Band in a Box is a more full-featured version of GarageBand 08's auto accompaniment, Fruity Loops is good for working with loops, there are tons of MIDI programs, etc.

AFAIK, though, there is no all-in-one solution that does all of these things as well as GarageBand does for Windows while still being a consumer, rather than professional, piece of software.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

What exactly is it you would be doing with GarageBand? There are a lot of PC programs that replicate the various functionalities of GarageBand - Audacity is a good open-source program for live recording, Band in a Box is a more full-featured version of GarageBand 08's auto accompaniment, Fruity Loops is good for working with loops, there are tons of MIDI programs, etc.

AFAIK, though, there is no all-in-one solution that does all of these things as well as GarageBand does for Windows while still being a consumer, rather than professional, piece of software.
    The ability to mix tracks and synthetic instruments are my focuses.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    if you want to use professional grade software

go with Reason. it's the best out there - GarageBand is an absolute joke compared to it.

it has a SUPER steep learning curve though - it's essentially a mixing program, as well as a virtual rack equipment program. so you adjust knobs and shit yourself.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    DimKamanDimKaman Registered User new member
    Hey guys apologies for bumping a very old thread but this came up in Google and I didn't see the point in making a new thread about it. So first post might be a necro but with good reason! Actually I never new Penny Arcade had a forum I've been reading it for ages but I digress...

I played with GarageBand on the Mac a while ago and really liked it. It's not the most feature packed tool of all time but Mac users have it pretty lucky to have something like that. I'm looking for a half decent one I can start learning with which works on Windows (I really don't want to have to dual-boot). I found this site (http://djtouchbeats.com/) through YouTube which gave me some suggestions (some of the same ones mentioned here like FruitLoops) but their main one is called Dub Turbo. Just wondered if anyone had tried it? I like their training videos but I want to make sure I'm getting the right tool.

Thanks if anyone can give me some pointers on this I don't want to get the wrong thing!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Actually, it's better to make your own thread. :)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.