As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• jwm2jwm2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just got my issue of GI today in the mail and what i thought was funny was the fact that the 360 had 3 games rated 9.5 or higher and none for the other 2 systems. LOL

jwm2 on
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great people to deal with.
    www.XboxLiveScene.com - Xbox LIVE News & Info 24/7
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200404
    This is an ONLINE ONLY Limited Edition. This item WILL NOT be available in stores.
    man what, for once I want to preorder a game...

God, I hope they ship it before the 20th.

I think I'm going to preorder that, but I'm incredibly hesitant.

wow, this is a tough choice... I don't want to wait for the game.

what store can I buy frmo, open it on 11/20, and then return when this arrives in the mail?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is an ONLINE ONLY Limited Edition. This item WILL NOT be available in stores.

aw man, i was getting all excited thinking it was an MMO edition

gunwarrior on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

what store can I buy frmo, open it on 11/20, and then return when this arrives in the mail?

I've decided I care more about getting the game on the release date.

I would have liked to get the stuff, but I guess I'll make do. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Variable wrote: »

I've decided I care more about getting the game on the release date.

I would have liked to get the stuff, but I guess I'll make do. :(

The two games I've pre-ordered from EB games have both shipped on release date. And both of them haven't showed up at my doorstep until a week after release date. This made me quite furious and I will never order from them again... go to hell EB games.

Prospicience on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The two games I've pre-ordered from EB games have both shipped on release date. And both of them haven't showed up at my doorstep until a week after release date. This made me quite furious and I will never order from them again... go to hell EB games.
    Where do you live, and what shipping options did you select?

This hasn't been my experience at all. Unless you pre-order at the last minute or take the cheapest shipping, they ship it early and the game arrives on the release date or the day after, depending on which shipping you take.

Of course, I may be an aberration since I live about two hours away from one of their distribution centers and basically get next-day air speed no matter which shipping option I pick.

grrarg on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Amazon have always delived day of release for me for all video games and DVDs and music.

Only if you select next day delivery though, which costs a little extra. But is Royal Mail recorded delivery, which is guaranteed next day or its free.

The_Scarab on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    We pride ourselves on making sure you get the latest games first. Pre-order by November 19 at 11:00 am CST and choose overnight shipping for guaranteed delivery on November 20. If your package doesn’t arrive on the street date we will fully refund your shipping charges…and cry.

Fine print: Void if you are unable to accept delivery. Continental U.S. only. (Aren’t you glad you passed on that Maui beach house?) Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or attempts to wipe out humans from the galaxy.

captaink on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone know if it is just EB that's offering it online only, or if it is not going to be in any retail stores?

Tomanta on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Those extras are not enticing enough for me. I will get the regular edition.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    We pride ourselves on making sure you get the latest games first. Pre-order by November 19 at 11:00 am CST and choose overnight shipping for guaranteed delivery on November 20. If your package doesn’t arrive on the street date we will fully refund your shipping charges…and cry.

Fine print: Void if you are unable to accept delivery. Continental U.S. only. (Aren’t you glad you passed on that Maui beach house?) Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or attempts to wipe out humans from the galaxy.

shit now it's just a matter of whether I can be here or not.

Variable on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Being an art fag leaves me helpless before art books. Goddamn it, I must have it.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited October 2007
    captaink, where is that quote from?

edit - ah, I see it, it's on the regular mass effect.

Variable on
  • jwm2jwm2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Personally i don't see whats so great about it. I guess i'll rent a copy and check it out, but i'm not hyped like alot of people. Its gotten a ton of coverage the last year in video game mags, but i usually jump over that section, heh.

jwm2 on
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great people to deal with.
    www.XboxLiveScene.com - Xbox LIVE News & Info 24/7
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    jwm2 wrote: »
    Personally i don't see whats so great about it. I guess i'll rent a copy and check it out, but i'm not hyped like alot of people. Its gotten a ton of coverage the last year in video game mags, but i usually jump over that section, heh.
    You jump over the previews section?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    You jump over the previews section?
    That's like buying Playboy for the articles. (Just wanted a chance to use that joke)

Henroid on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The thread title is "9.75 from Game Informer"

They also gave a 9.75 to Orange Box and Halo 3, yet Halo 3 is the Game of the Month. Hmm...

Houn on
  • Scott BairdScott Baird __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a free subscription to Game Informer and just read the Mass Effect review. Are they on payola or can their reviews be trusted?

Scott Baird on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Houn wrote: »

They also gave a 9.75 to Orange Box and Halo 3, yet Halo 3 is the Game of the Month. Hmm...

Giving a game a 10 score, first of all, would mean nothing is wrong with it at all and it'd appeal to everyone.

Halo 3 is game of the month because it sold a shit load.

Henroid on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Halo 3 might also be game of the month because it was the best game released that month.

But that's crazy talk. Of course it's based entirely on sales. What was I thinking?!

The_Scarab on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a free subscription to Game Informer and just read the Mass Effect review. Are they on payola or can their reviews be trusted?

My friend it is safe to say anyone who makes a pay check off reviewing games is on the payola.

Oddjob187 on
  • SketchTheArtistSketchTheArtist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I heard Half-Life 2 came out in 2004 and Halo 3 2007. ;-)

SketchTheArtist on
    SketchTheArtist.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Giving a game a 10 score, first of all, would mean nothing is wrong with it at all and it'd appeal to everyone.

Halo 3 is game of the month because it sold a shit load.

Meh... a 10 score doesn't mean perfect, it just means "10." It means the game is that awesome that if you are even remotely genre-curious about that particular genre, you should be buying it and playing the hell out of it, because it's that amazing.

Side note... with Mass Effect and Halo netting 9.75s, will Bioshock be GI's game of the year? (I'd hope so)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

it's a damning indictment then, that Halo 3 and Orange Box sucked so hard. CURSES!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2007

I agree with this guy. From the looks of things, all Mass Effect is is Diablo 2 in space. With guns.

That's not very exciting to me.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I agree with this guy. From the looks of things, all Mass Effect is is Diablo 2 in space. With guns.
    Are you just trolling or would you mind backing up that statement a bit more?

Silpheed on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Have you even watched the video for it?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    No, we're not going down this route.

Henroid on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I didn't realize that the Orange Box wasn't worthy of a 9.75 rating, and just because they gave a 9 to two other games that a 9 is now worthless.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007

I didn't realize that the Orange Box wasn't worthy of a 9.75 rating, and just because they gave a 9 to two other games that a 9 is now worthless.

I think the problem is that Game Informer quite clearly stated that Halo 3 is better than the Orange Box and far better than Mass Effect because it was Game of the Month, whereas the other two were not.

Mass Effect winning Game of the Month two months before it came out would have been nice, but, like, it's not even out.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I..uh... WHAT? no. Other than both games falling together in a very broad definition of "RPG" they are nothing alike.

Tomanta on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mass Effect is basically Mario Kart in space with guns

bruin on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like all recent games, they're copying Marathon.

Moving through space and time?

Reading?

Come back when you're not robbing the grave of a better game.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Have you even watched the video for it?
    Yes I have but I guess I must have missed the part where the enemies dropped a color=blue]Halberd of Defence[/color or something even more Diablo-esque..

Silpheed on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    people, the combat is secondary in this game. the dialogue is the gameplay. it's been this way in these sorts of RPGs since Planescape. if all you're looking at is the combat, then yeah, it's Diablo 2 with guns in space. if you want a branching dialogue that affects your relationships with npcs and the overall storyline, you're not gonna find that shit in Diablo 2.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Like all recent games, they're copying Marathon.

Moving through space and time?

Reading?

Come back when you're not robbing the grave of a better game.

this isn't serious right

right

tell me it isn't

I know it doesn't look serious, it looks like a joke, but I can't tell the difference anymore on this forum.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn, I really want the artbook, but I always buy my games with trade-in credit, so I guess I'll be missing out.

Why the fuck would you not sell the CE in stores?

Assholes :(

Vincent Grayson on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    this isn't serious right

right

tell me it isn't

I know it doesn't look serious, it looks like a joke, but I can't tell the difference anymore on this forum.
    Yeah, it looks more like a D2 ripoff. It's kinda sad, actually.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    this isn't serious right

right

tell me it isn't

Yeah, it looks more like a D2 ripoff. It's kinda sad, actually.

Goomba when did you become so sarcastic and mean

did my theft of your conveyance turn your heart to stone

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i have been properly trolled

tyrannus on
This discussion has been closed.