As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have no idea.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    It's licensed by Amazon. If you can access all of Amazon's other original programming then you can access Not Top Gear

this is pretty easy to understand

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    Which goes to show that you can say as much racist, homophobic, etc. shit as you like for NewsCorp and BBC and still get hired. What a world.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So in the ongoing saga of my car, they've (Mitsu corporate) have determined that my transfer case is kaput. A new one from Japan is on the way, because apparently they do not stock Evo parts literally anywhere else in the world.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    That doesn't surprise me in the least. Have a friend that used to have one of the new GTOs, everything on that car had to be shipped in from Australia. Pontiac dealers maybe stocking up on some parts? Nope.

Krieghund on
    I guess it's a bit surprising that there's not like a single warehouse in North America to support the few thousand of this model that live in this hemisphere.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just had my first service appointment.

He said the hesitation on acceleration is because I've got so little mileage on it so far and it's in economy mode still.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is it computer controlled drive by wire? You might have to "teach" it performance driving. As in, the car learns what kind of driving you do and if you just put put around, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoW8cW_R0w

Just drive like this for a few weeks and it should clear up.

ABDFO (Always Be Driving Flat Out)

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Well I've only put 600 miles on it in the three months I've had it :rotate:

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    When in doubt, flat out.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Decius wrote: »
    When in doubt, flat out.

As someone that drives a FWD vehicle in an area that gets a lot of winter snow.

This is not the worst advice. Just pull the bastard through the corners.

jgeis on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Works for AWD drive too.

DRIFTERU!!!!!
    UUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    IMPOSSIBRU!!!
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Works for AWD drive too.

DRIFTERU!!!!!
    UUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQiHXR9Les

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    @chrishallett83

I'm working on my A/C. There's no pressure. So, do you know a good way of finding the leak without adding more Freon to the system? I know refrigerant with dye in it is the most popular way of diagnosing an A/C leak, but I'm wondering if there's a more cost effective way.

Also, I know I have to replace my receiver/drier at this point but can I diagnose my leak first before having to replace it? I imagine I can, but I'm not all that experienced with A/C system and I rather not damage anything else.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Not really. If you're extraordinarily desperate you could make up some fittings to connect a regular air line to the high side of the system and just hook up a metered air compressor (set to a few psi), then go over the system thoroughly with a spray bottle full of soapy water. The actual gas itself isn't super expensive, it's the aircon tech's time that really stings the wallet. Quite often they will use argon and add the flouro leak spotter instead of actual refrigerant to find the leak. If you want to help find the leak as easily and quickly as possible with a flouro smoke leak test, give the whole engine bay around the a/c lines a really good degrease and clean.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I'm gonna buy a new car next week. I have no idea what exactly I want still (guess I gotta drive a couple first).

I'm by no means a car person, and it's basically just a way to get from point A to point B for me. I'm lookin at just a boring old mid sized sedan. I'm ruling out a Honda because I'm actually super disappointed in my current Civic's maintenance track record where they're supposed to be known for their reliability and I've had multiple very expensive repairs. Most recent was my starter going out last year, and then a friend with a 1 year newer civic had his go out almost exactly 1 year after mine did. Plus minor cosmetic things like the visors break constantly and paint issues that seem to be an epidemic down here when they get around 8 years old.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    How much do you want to spend?

640qocnq4ske.gif
    spono wrote: »

25-30ish. Not lookin at luxury cars basically unless there's some sort of miracle deal going on, but willing to consider most of the offerings from the usual brands.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    WRX is in that price range!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    WRX is in that price range!

Bleh, it starts to get a LITTLE outside my range when I start putting tech/safety features I want on it.

Though I could probably talk em down on a 2015 since the 16s are starting to hit now huh?

It looks pretty cool though and standard awd is nice. I'll add it to my test drive list.

just know that stick is mandatory

If you just want a nice mid-size sedan, you probably can't go wrong with a Mazda 6. It's right in your price range, and I'd say it looks quite nice as well. Can't speak to its reliability though.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited August 2015
    TheStig wrote: »
    just know that stick is mandatory

nah. Driving a manual in Houston traffic sounds like basically the worst thing I can imagine.
    If you just want a nice mid-size sedan, you probably can't go wrong with a Mazda 6. It's right in your price range, and I'd say it looks quite nice as well. Can't speak to its reliability though.

That was at the top of my list before I posted! Good to hear some confirmation that people like it.

rhylith on
    Well if that's not your thing imprezza is very highly rated and a lot cheaper

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Hey so car thread...

What's the best way to clean Alcantara?

I'm also still waffling on what to buy next. I was more or less dead set on the fiesta ST until I read this:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/07/barks-bites-fist-rollover-risk-people-dont-want-know/

I've also heard complaints about reliability from the two people I know with base model fiestas. Plus the back seat doesn't really have any more legroom than my Kia.

Maybe it's time to start looking at used. $25K could go a long way, I'm sure.

Well now this is interesting:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=404725405&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Oh my god I have to watch all of these.

rhylith wrote: »

25-30ish. Not lookin at luxury cars basically unless there's some sort of miracle deal going on, but willing to consider most of the offerings from the usual brands.

Who makes extremely reliable cars? Toyota! Now, you'll want something safe and cheap to run, so my suggestion is an FT-86.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Lot of good cars in that range.
    What features do you want? what do you prize in a car - performance, comfort, economy? What area of the country do you live in?

Regardless, truecar.com is great for getting a good price.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    @rhylith I had a 2002 mazda protege 5 and i'll never buy another Mazda again, the thing needed random repairs every few months and cost me a fortune. Not sure about the newer ones. The Focus ST is a blast to drive and mine (2013) has only had minor issues which the dealer fixed at no cost. Only available in stick though.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    mazda has completely overhauled their company since the era of the protoge

there are many past and present mazda owners in this thread with more recent models who have nothing but good things to say about them

I've had two and have not had an involuntary trip to the ship with either of them

• intropintrop Registered User regular
    Yeah, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. In my family, the four Mazdas have performed flawlessly (and would all still be in use except one of them was t-boned in an intersection by a newbie driver running a red) while all four Fords have had significant flaws and breakdowns. Every manufacturer makes a crap car here and there; you just have to go by the large-scale odds.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I had an '07 3 and went straight into a '10 speed3 and I've never had any issues with either. Mom has a 3 and my sister does too. Dad had an '04 6 and it didn't start having serious problems until 200k km on the odo. At that point it really was terrible. The rest of us don't drive nearly that much so I don't know personally what happens to a beat upon 3.

(by issues I am excluding the headlight fogging I have on my speed3 that is getting fixed under the extended warranty Mazda gave to specifically address it because it's a relatively minor thing)

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My sister has a 'last of the last model' 3. It's been rock solid so far.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    My neighbor had a 626 that i helped keep running with duct tape and spit.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    @rhylith I had a 2002 mazda protege 5 and i'll never buy another Mazda again, the thing needed random repairs every few months and cost me a fortune. Not sure about the newer ones. The Focus ST is a blast to drive and mine (2013) has only had minor issues which the dealer fixed at no cost. Only available in stick though.

I had the regular 02 protege and had no problems for the entire 160k miles I had it. It sucks that your 5 had so many problems! I always kicked myself for not getting one. As for the modern ones my co-worker has a base model 2014 Mazda6 and has loved it so far. I think he has around 15k miles.

Look and Hyundai too, Our 2013 Elantra GT just cleared 50000 miles with no problems at all and still running strong. Just came back from a tour of the Southwest US. A 2500 mile round trip in about 10 days of hot dry weather with all kinds of elevation changes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    My Mum's 2008 Mazda 3 is still basically in as-new condition, despite the mileage on it and their long dirt driveway meaning it is almost always tinged slightly brown from all the gravel dust.

This discussion has been closed.