As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for suggestions on a replacement for Internet Explorer

2»

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/the-best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari-vs-project-spartan/

Here's the very first link I pulled out of Google. It's from back in April so the results are going to be unkind to Microsoft Edge (which was still named Project Spartan at the time), and there's certainly been improvements in most if not all of the browsers in the past few months, but it shows Chrome having a definite lead on HTML5 compliance.

Note that, unless there's majority browser support for any given HTML5 feature, supporting said feature is mostly academic because it'd be a very bad choice as a web designer to build a feature that only a small percentage of your users could take advantage of.

Yeah, they appear to pull compliance results from html5test.com. Which is a liiiiitle bit wonky, since html5test includes proposed, experimental, and rejected specifications in their score.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    IE11 has a ton of compability issues

If you use ie downgrade to 9

10 and 11 are dogs

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I work in it in a place that does medical pr

Chrome isn't hipaa compliant which is a thing

• Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    I work in it in a place that does medical pr

Chrome isn't hipaa compliant which is a thing

Fuck!

They're working on it

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get sick of my Surface Pro 3 Internet Explorer sometimes blanking out the current webpage (is that a problem unique to Windows 8? Never saw anything like that before getting the Surface). Does Firefox Sync carry over everything, including addons and addon settings? If it does, I may set up Firefox there as well and do a one-time connection or something.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I'm starting to get sick of my Surface Pro 3 Internet Explorer sometimes blanking out the current webpage (is that a problem unique to Windows 8? Never saw anything like that before getting the Surface). Does Firefox Sync carry over everything, including addons and addon settings? If it does, I may set up Firefox there as well and do a one-time connection or something.

FF Sync does tabs, bookmarks, passwords, history, add-ons, and preferences. Each of those is a checkbox. Two things of note; the first is that operating-system specific extensions (stuff that requires another program installed to run correctly like 3rd party password managers) may not work on the synced system. The second is that manual changes to about:config may not be synced.

Everything that is synced is encrypted before it leaves your system and Mozilla didn't have the decryption key. I trust Mozilla more than I do some other companies, but if you want you can cut them out of the loop and run a private Firefox sync server on a machine you own.

• Options
    Is there a way to disable pinch to zoom gestures in Firefox? Ideally I'd just set the touchpad not to use them, but the Surface Pro 3's touchpad somehow manages to be uniquely terrible at allowing you to change things like that. It looks like there are some settings in about:config, but tampering with them doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

• Options
    I found a Reddit thread with some about:config options in it. You may be able to disarm pinch to zoom by changing them. https://m.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/2sev5z/firefox_for_tablets/

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Frem wrote: »
    I found a Reddit thread with some about:config options in it. You may be able to disarm pinch to zoom by changing them. https://m.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/2sev5z/firefox_for_tablets/

Already tried that, unfortunately. I'll try poking at them again, though.

Edit: Nope, no luck. I did manage to find a setting in about:config to return the options menu to its window, though, so that's nice. Is there anything like that for the other about:whatevers?

Edit: Also, why the heck do buttons only exist in one location? That seems like deranged way to design things. I shouldn't have to rip the otherwise pointless Bookmarks button from the Bookmarks toolbar just to get a normal dropdown menu instead of a sidebar or that weird combo that gives the less useful of the options more space.

jothki on