As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 3.5 Damage Reduction Question

naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
ODaM is quickly turning into my go-to place for D&D questions...I love how fast and thoroughly questions get answered here.

Now for my question: What happens when a character has two different forms of inherent DR? A Warforged Warlock could conceivably have DR of varying values, with one being keyed to Cold Iron, and the other, say, to Adamantine. Common sense would dictate that in a situation like this, they would both absorb their share of the damage before the DR is considered surpassed, but I could be way off with this. So, which is it?

Please cite your source in your answer. Thanks!

naporeon on

• Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In the case of two or more different sources of damage reduction only the highest applies. If the highest DR is negated then the next highest one applies and so forth. So if Bob the wereverine has DR 10/silver and slashing and DR 5/magic, he has a DR of 10. If he's attacked with a silver warhammer he still has a DR of 10. If he's attacked with a silver longsword he has a DR of 5. If he's attacked with a magical silver longsword he gets no DR against it.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If he's attacked with a silver warhammer he still has a DR of 10.

If he's attacked with a silver warhammer, he'll reduce the damage by 5. Silver bypasses "silver" DR.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Litejedi wrote:
    If he's attacked with a silver warhammer, he'll reduce the damage by 5. Silver bypasses "silver" DR.

Ah, but I specified that Bob has DR 10/Silver and slashing. A warhammer doesn't deal slashing damage.

Paranoia833 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In the case of two or more different sources of damage reduction only the highest applies.

Just a slight correction, only the most advantageous applies.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In the case of two or more different sources of damage reduction only the highest applies. If the highest DR is negated then the next highest one applies and so forth. So if Bob the wereverine has DR 10/silver and slashing and DR 5/magic, he has a DR of 10. If he's attacked with a silver warhammer he still has a DR of 10. If he's attacked with a silver longsword he has a DR of 5. If he's attacked with a magical silver longsword he gets no DR against it.

DMG 3.5, pg 292, 4th paragraph. Under the section "Damage Reduction".

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Litejedi wrote:

Ah, but I specified that Bob has DR 10/Silver and slashing. A warhammer doesn't deal slashing damage.

I must have skipped over the slashing part. Sorry.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif