As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Continuing Feedback (nsf56k)

MaxRadicalMaxRadical Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hello all

The last time I asked for feedback here, it was the best and most useful feedback I ever got. No deviantArt style one line "omg u rock" or "u suxx!!", and everybody did actual non-flaming constructive criticism - honestly and strongly pointing out everything that was wrong, which was a lot, while making constructive suggestions as to how to improve, which have since helped me enormously. I've been gone for a while working on things and would like to repeat the harrowing but beneficial experience!

Here are a few pieces:

bothconceptsforshow.png

fullpagefinalsmall.png

theidea.png

heatman.png

eggplantwizard.png

pirate.png

My aim is black and white comic illustration style things; I'm obviously not aiming to be a pro, but rendering fun/topical little images to highlight ideas would be nice.

Thanks for any feedback.

MaxRadical on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I say good show on the proportions, you got those down.

However, when it comes to character design... these are some what lacking. Their faces are really boring.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    TROGTROG Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    Repeat after me: crack is whack.

TROG on
    I just TROGged in my pants.
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    TROG wrote:
    Repeat after me: crack is whack.

Man...what the fuck is up with your avi??? Wtf2.gif

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    PenguinoPenguino Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    hahaha, that pirate is in quite a predicament.

You might wanna fix the folds in his pants, 'cos atm it looks like he is scrunching his crotch together :)

Edit: Actually, now that I look at them, they all have the crotch problem.

Penguino on
    PenguinoSignaturecopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    MagicToaster - I'm glad the proportions look good, thanks! They've been the main focus of my work since the initial "baptism of critique fire" I got here, and I've found the "Figure drawing for all it's worth" book recommended in the tutorial thread enormously useful. I think I'll have to make facial structure my next priority as (now that I think about it) often when I'm drawing the features seem to be 'floating' on the page. Rather than have a true structural knowledge of where to put them, I have a few guidelines and just move them until they look right. Thanks for highlighting that.

Penguino - Glad you enjoyed the pirate! I made it as part of a pamphlet for an event on International Speak Like a Pirate day (so one of the my first actual 'using a drawing for something' things). I've only recently been learning clothing folds (from Burne Hogarths awesomely good book), so if I've overdone it it's probably because I'm so thrilled with how much they've added to my previously ultra-flat pieces. Practise should help me keep it to a more reasonable level, I hope.

Thanks for the feedback guys - and you, reading now, yes you: More critique will be equally welcome!

MaxRadical on
  • Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hehe, the pirate guy made me chuckle ;) (that's kinda rare, actually)
    Because I initially looked at his arm, thought: "Right, he's got a wooden arm *shrugs*" then I noticed the leg with the hook, which somewhat surprised me :P

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Happy you liked it, EntrY. The pirate is a pretty good example of the kind of thing I'd like to do - getting across a funny little concept that just doesn't work in words.

MaxRadical on