Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Linguamancy

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Linguamancy

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    These things haven't been the same with Jobs gone. This is stemming way off the notes of the comic but I'm reminded of that 2000s docu that was showing on TV. At the first announcement of the iPhone, the single iPhone that Jobs was using was in fact several bug-prone devices that were each capable of simulating functionality in one regard or another, the last of which was used for a phone call to Starbucks to place an order for a thousand lattes.

Nostalgia aside, well it's not really aside. Apple's been making the same thing over and over. It's like buying the new Madden. It's very much like the old Madden. Maybe it has some more hut huts and pictures on helmets but it's the same thing. "Same thing" isn't a great line for a sales pitch, though.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Isn't this what vine does? Make really short videos? Or are these also soundless? In which case they would just be a .gif.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This has sound, apparently.

On the one hand, recording X seconds of video automatically when you press the snap button, assuming each frame can look nice, is a neat idea when you want to document something you can't reliably reproduce, like animal behaviour or young children's expressions.

On the other hand, call a spade a spade.

• Options
    Kwisatz Haderach Kwisatz Haderach The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    http://hijinksensue.com/comic/surface-tension/
    (note that this webcomic is from 2012)

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I really like this title.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I think I might finally have to upgrade from my 3s. Far-Speaking sounds revolutionary!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    This Thomas Edison guy they have working for them must some kind of revolutionary inventor or something.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Isn't this what Vine does except exactly the same since both have sound? I'm not even sure that this comic is satire at this point, I think it was Jerry's prediction of a darker time ahead.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Apple's need to put on a certain amount of pageantry (as was Jobs' way) has quickly devolved into forced embellishment of any "new" feature they package in the upcoming iteration of devices.

That may be good marketing, but overall their brand is losing the luster that distinguished it for so long.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    His ShadowHis Shadow Registered User regular
    The best thing about Apple for it's critics is that there is no criticism of the iPod that can't be used again and again and again and again and again...

• Options
    TamwulfTamwulf Registered User regular
    I hear the sound of Far-Speaking and must have this in my life. Once acquired, I shall use Live Photos extensively, and post them on Apple TV for all to see... and maybe people will Far-Speak with me...

Witty Comments Require No Explanation,
    Sarcasm Allows None.
  • Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    ...is the website's interface borked for anyone else or is it just me?

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    ...is the website's interface borked for anyone else or is it just me?

It's been acting up in Chrome for me (works fine in IE at the moment).

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    Isn't this what vine does? Make really short videos? Or are these also soundless? In which case they would just be a .gif.

Wait, i assumed the comic was joking about both features. Are you telling me Apple really announced something with video and insisted it wasn't video?

• Options
    completely_underwhelmedcompletely_underwhelmed Registered User new member
    With all of the Microsoft surface love that oozes here so regularly and the fact that the new iPad with the iPencil are geared to compete directly with PA's surface love is leading me to some questions about how much of this is "satirical" vs "fanboy" vs "paid MS shill" behavior.

Never thought I'd feel like I was getting paid anti-fanboy advertising from PA... I always thought you guys were above that sort of behavior...

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Wait, i assumed the comic was joking about both features. Are you telling me Apple really announced something with video and insisted it wasn't video?

The "live photos" don't use any standard video codec or storage approaches, they are stored as images in a new way to cut down on space use. Tim was referring to what they think is an innovative way to approach accomplishing this, which differs from others in the market. So, yes they have images which aren't video, but behave like video...

• Options
    ryamkajrryamkajr Registered User regular
    So you are saying... a series of stand alone images, that when played in succession, appears to be moving?

Wow. Innovative!

I do not care about how it is stored or whatever.

This is "video". Calling it anything else is dishonest and disingenuous.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I went into an Apple store on wednesday to buy an iphone (the last celphone I bought was in 2002, and it was a used model - I can't put off upgrading any longer).

By coincidence it was the day of this announcement, and I had a guy give me the spiel on the iphone6S

He used that exact term - it's magic! 'When I think of it, I think magic!' And I said to him 'it's a short video?' 'NO man, it's magic! It captures the moment just after and just before you press the button!' 'It captures images before you press the button.' 'Yes!'

I thought about it for a bit. 'So it'd be good for something like Vines?' 'No, Vines are videos.' It's the party line, I suppose they have to follow it.

I might get it, because I need a real phone and it has a bitching camera and despite the ridiculous spin they're putting on them, short animated video/pictures are neat, whatever. Though this whole pressure/touch system - the 3D(depth) thing where you push at varying degrees sounds a little annoying.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ryamkajr wrote: »
    So you are saying... a series of stand alone images, that when played in succession, appears to be moving?

Wow. Innovative!

Is a gif file a video? Fundamentally it's the same basic concept as this, but I think you'd have a hard time calling a gif file or this a video.

The image file itself gets saved as a JPEG. Anybody without an Apple device will see a static image, but anybody with an Apple device will see the "live photo". I am not under the impression that JPEG is a video format.

They can call their proprietary implementation whatever they like, after all. Their differentiation is what they believe makes it something other than video, you are certainly free to disagree.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So it's a zoescope?
    6549828_orig.gif?0

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Wow. Innovative!

Is a gif file a video?

Yes.

And of course Apple is free to call it what they like. But trumpeting it as this magical feature, when all they have really done is found a way to store video in yet one more special format, is disingenuous in a special goosey kind of way that only Apple can be.

• Options
    theBrayntheBrayn Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    'It captures images before you press the button.'

The idiocy of this Apple employee is amazing. All camera apps are capturing images before you press the button, that's why you're able to see images on the screen to line up your shot. All this is doing is saving a second and a half of that info in memory all the time. It's basically a FIFO stack which stores video frames.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    With all of the Microsoft surface love that oozes here so regularly and the fact that the new iPad with the iPencil are geared to compete directly with PA's surface love is leading me to some questions about how much of this is "satirical" vs "fanboy" vs "paid MS shill" behavior.

Never thought I'd feel like I was getting paid anti-fanboy advertising from PA... I always thought you guys were above that sort of behavior...

If there's any "fanboys" or "shills" around here, it's pretty obvious who they are.

And yes it's hilarious that Apple is now coming out with an iSurface, thanks for bringing that up in a discussion where it might otherwise have been overlooked.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Man, Rusty Venture has fallen on hard times. He used to at least try and invent new things.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    theBrayn wrote: »

The idiocy of this Apple employee is amazing. All camera apps are capturing images before you press the button, that's why you're able to see images on the screen to line up your shot. All this is doing is saving a second and a half of that info in memory all the time. It's basically a FIFO stack which stores video frames.

Maybe he thinks you're literally looking through the phone when you use the camera

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    theBrayntheBrayn Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Maybe he thinks you're literally looking through the phone when you use the camera

Maybe that'll be their next innovation, the "Apple Viewfinder".

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

The "live photos" don't use any standard video codec or storage approaches, they are stored as images in a new way to cut down on space use.
    There's a reason why we have video formats, and "videos as a sequence of images" isn't a new concept. TGA sequences have been a thing for video editors for a long ass time and Motion JPEG (and animated PNG) is also a thing.

They aren't stored as images to cut down on space, my reading of the tech is that they are using already existing video compression techniques (B-frames or P-frames...B-frames makes more sense to me) on an image sequence.
    All camera apps are capturing images before you press the button, that's why you're able to see images on the screen to line up your shot.
    While that is how you're getting a live preview, on the phones I've used you're at least getting a much lower frame rate than when you actually record video or use a burst shot. This might be something that is better on Android phones with Camera API2 and compatible ISP but my Note 4 suffers from the same thing.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    RenarudoRenarudo Registered User new member
    (the last celphone I bought was in 2002, and it was a used model - I can't put off upgrading any longer).

..I need a real phone and it has a bitching camera and despite the ridiculous spin they're putting on them, short animated video/pictures are neat, whatever. Though this whole pressure/touch system - the 3D(depth) thing where you push at varying degrees sounds a little annoying.

My good sir/madam, I implore you to take a look at the Moto X phones (Tom's Hardware comparison) coming out in the next few weeks, available for preorder right now.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Apple has invented the buffer in the year 2015 and I will not have you tarnish their good name.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

FIFO... stack? Wouldn't that be a queue?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah stack is LIFO, queue is FIFO.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff

Hah, really? You must not be as big of a fan as you claim then. But hey, if you're going to accuse us of shilling, at least let me reap the benefits. Apple/MS: If either of you would like to send us checks, please email advertising@penny-arcade.com, thanks!

Some guy.
  • Options
    honushonus Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Wow. Innovative!

Is a gif file a video?

Yes.

And of course Apple is free to call it what they like. But trumpeting it as this magical feature, when all they have really done is found a way to store video in yet one more special format, is disingenuous in a special goosey kind of way that only Apple can be.

What's disingenuous is taking what was said out of context and trying to twists its meaning to say they claimed something they didn't.

• Options
    I thought it was a joke at Apple overhyping any new feature they release.

But now that you mention it, I do have a subliminal urge to ditch my iPad and buy a Surface.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    I thought it was a joke at Apple overhyping any new feature they release.

But now that you mention it, I do have a subliminal urge to ditch my iPad and buy a Surface.

They're great! I use it for everything that an iPad can't do. It's cool too! I'm very popular at [INSERT LOCAL COLLEGE HERE]. If you have any questions, email me at michaellc@surfacetheworld.com

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Yeah but the point isn't that technical people know it's bullshit, the point is putting enough of a spin on describing it that the laymen that continue to buy into this nonsense think it's some wave of the future innovative cock-knockery that they've never seen before.

You bring up FIFO stacks to some dude that doesn't know about electronics beyond "swipe to unlock" and they'll look at you like "fucking nerd". You tell them something like "this thing's already recording before you even press the button, so you won't miss a moment of the action!" and they'll stare wide-eyed at you like "holy shit, that's amazing!"

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

The idiocy of this Apple employee is amazing. All camera apps are capturing images before you press the button, that's why you're able to see images on the screen to line up your shot.

I figured it was this after I was done talking to the Apple guy and I thought about it on my own, but he made it sound like it was time-magic during our conversation so I just didn't believe it was actually doing that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I'm sorry did someone claim a comic who had a side character seduce Gabe in to a lurid twist with a Mac so raunchy Slannesh was blushing were shills? The same comic that has a good goddamn number of strips mocking Microsoft's pitfalls across its decade and a half of existence?

Anyway I'm with quid on the title I had a hearty chuckle.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    A diminutive box of far-speaking? What is this sorcery?!

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    PA are such shills when the Xbone was announced and everyone was shitting on it, they totally did as well!

Wait.

I feel like someone was doing it wrong here but I can't tell who....

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.