As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Data plans that suck the least after you hit your cap? (Memphis, TN)

KamarKamar Registered User regular
Title says it all, I think. I'm currently living in a hotel, and have decided I can't stand the internet anymore--it's bad in off-hours and unusable at peak.

I'm debating turning my Cricket plan back on, which gives me 10gb of 4G LTE for $60/mth, but it drops down to a maximum of 128kbs after my 10gb runs out. Which isn't super-horrible, but I was hoping there might be something better out there.

I don't mind tying myself to a contract, although my credit's sorta dubious thanks to student loan stuff, so I'm not sure how that'd go for me.

Oh, and plans are going to notice I'm tethering and cause headaches over it are out.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    T-mobile has a 100 min talk unlimited data and text plan for 30 per month through walmart. I haven't had any problems with it, but apparently it's a pain to set up on a phone you don't buy there.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    If you want a a big carrier Sprint does an unlimited plan, but the cost is about 50-100 percent higher than T-mobile.

zepherin on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I'll second the T-Mobile idea, I had the $30/5GB plan for about a year and it worked really well for me. There's a couple caveats though:

1) You have wade through a lot of fine point to get the option activated correctly, T-Mobile doesn't make it a very obvious selection.
    2) T-Mobile works great, provided you are in a major metropolitan area. The city doesn't necessarily need to be 100k+ people, but their network completely collapses as soon as you start getting into rural areas. The flip side is that inside their coverage zones, I got consistently excellent speeds.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    T-mobile's building penetration is terrible, though. I have that $30/month plan and it is fast, when it works.