Options

[chat] Criminals

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    yikes

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I think terminally ill are the most unambiguous case, where anyone but the cruelest life fanatics see the benefit, but yeah. I've always said the day I thought the expected net utility of the rest of my life is less than zero, I would kill myself (acknowledging inherit inaccuracy of long term predictions), and I'd encourage everyone in the world to adopt that standard.

Everyone has the reaper's scythe over their head, it's only a question of the time and place. Death is the guaranteed destination, it's not like anyone is going to live forever, so the sole goal should be finding a good balance between average benefit per time unit and maximum benefit, like finding the area under a curve, basically.

That's one way to reduce the prevalence of depression, I suppose.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    "The Harvester, investigating," on a post about life terms is ominous, to say the least...

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

I think terminally ill are the most unambiguous case, where anyone but the cruelest life fanatics see the benefit, but yeah. I've always said the day I thought the expected net utility of the rest of my life is less than zero, I would kill myself (acknowledging inherit inaccuracy of long term predictions), and I'd encourage everyone in the world to adopt that standard.

Everyone has the reaper's scythe over their head, it's only a question of the time and place. Death is the guaranteed destination, it's not like anyone is going to live forever, so the sole goal should be finding a good balance between average benefit per time unit and maximum benefit, like finding the area under a curve, basically.

I fundamentally disagree with applying a utilitarian standard to the value of life (whether of one's own or another's) but that's neither here nor there

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Every once in a while, my dad will forward this "comic strip" by someone named Dixon Diaz called Boombox, and of course my dad thinks it's the best thing ever.

But all that it is, is a single strip from Boondocks used over and over again speaking Republican propaganda, and none of it funny. Also, Boombox? Because the kids are black, right? Way more appropriate a comic title than the obviously-white "Boondocks", amirite??

Unfunny and racist examples below the spoiler!
    boombox.jpg
    s4.jpg
    s3.jpg
    s8.jpg

In today's deeply-flawed email forward, it was claimed that this Dixon Diaz character was kicked off the LA Times payroll for being too much for them to handle! I emailed back that there's no way this guy worked for the LA Times, and that the least he could do is put in the effort when stealing someone else's art so that every comic used different panels instead of the same ones.
    I'm running out of ways to deal with this kind of stuff. My very nice neighbor stopped by again to tell me that hundreds of thousands of muslims are invading the country and he is planning to move to colorado.

tell him i am here and i am a muslim

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    stolen from the thread in CF.

this is so rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_Kv6qFM0g

hahahaha, awesome

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    back to ff14

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I feel like assisted suicide should almost be case by case, not just by demand. But there are instances where doctors just have it wrong, like that lady in France whose face had been consumed by tumors and they were just like "whelp, tough" and it's like... no. That's not an acceptable answer to a person who has been reduced to an utterly sub-human existence.

But if you make it too easy then you get grifter kids hiding their aging parents medication and harassing them until they finally agree to "do the right thing" and speed along that inheritance.

Eh, I'm largely unconvinced by the arguments of abuse. There's no chance it will ever be made a major thing.

Besides, the worst case scenario is you fufill someone's wishes when they made a mistake in seeking the absolutely optimal result, but you still allowed them to make their own decisions. The best case scenario is you grant someone incredible solace and dignity they wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm not a fan of the "well, if we don't pay a king's ransom to torture a terminally ill patient for a few extra months, we've abandoned life!" arguments. Life has no intrinsic value whatsoever, only quality of life matters. Heck, the whole idea of hell is being as bad off as many cancer patients, but forever.

Elder abuse of every imaginable kind has and continues to happen. I can almost guarantee that this particular kind would happen, however uncommon it may be.

Yeah, and zero abuses is a dumb standard to hold, so that's irrelevant unless it is common enough to offset the gigantic benefits.

The goal shouldn't be for people to cling onto some horrible facsimile of life in a decrepit abomination of a body for as long as possible like some sci-fi horror villain about the hubris of mankind and horrors of refusing to die, it should be to live as many healthy years as possible, with medical science extending that continually with new developments, but when people's time comes, they should pass with dignity. We have the exact opposite problem today of pushing the elderly onto the ice floes, where a lot of people are pressured by relatives to cling to some horrible thread of existence when it would be better for everyone, and much cheaper, for them to get assistance in gently going to sleep for one last time, surrounded by family and friends, perhaps even at home.

Why limit it to the terminally ill?

If somebody has a chronic pain condition, or even a psychiatric condition like depression or anxiety that reduces their quality of life, don't they have the right to die with dignity, too?

This is a complex topic to me.

I want to agree... but I also think about the folks who enter and exit depressive states depending on the medication they're on. Without really tender management - the sort I am skeptical that most states are capable of offering - I think we could enter an unhealthy paradigm where we are unintentionally opening the door for suicidal depression to take lives that could've been saved with just some relatively cheap pills.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wow, Diaz has really come downhill since The Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    My BBQ arrived. It included a big block of cheddar cheese and one of the best pickle I have ever had.

• Options
    tell him i am starting a madrassa in boulder

• Options
    so i'm talking to my boss about carving out two fixed days off per week for school starting january

nervous

have i progressed enough as a human to not fuck this up

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Every once in a while, my dad will forward this "comic strip" by someone named Dixon Diaz called Boombox, and of course my dad thinks it's the best thing ever.

But all that it is, is a single strip from Boondocks used over and over again speaking Republican propaganda, and none of it funny. Also, Boombox? Because the kids are black, right? Way more appropriate a comic title than the obviously-white "Boondocks", amirite??

boombox.jpg
    s4.jpg
    s3.jpg
    s8.jpg

In today's deeply-flawed email forward, it was claimed that this Dixon Diaz character was kicked off the LA Times payroll for being too much for them to handle! I emailed back that there's no way this guy worked for the LA Times, and that the least he could do is put in the effort when stealing someone else's art so that every comic used different panels instead of the same ones.

This is uniquely awful.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    PS2 had a shit ton of crap at launch tho, it had good stuff like SSX, Tekken Tag, Armored Core 2 but then it had Eternal Ring and Evergrace

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a stream where I play only PS2 launch games.

Also lots of crying at how bad many were.

As bad as the PS2's launch was, it was better than the N64's. No pack-in game, only Mario 64, Pilot Wings 64, and a Cruisin' arcade port on store shelves. Really. Just three games at launch.

plus being the first widespread home DVD player. plus the entire library of PS1 games. And the added benefit that their main competitor (the n64) was shit when it was new and certainly wasn't aging well.

The Dreamcast was the PS2's rival, at least in Japan.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The Ender wrote: »
    I want to agree... but I also think about the folks who enter and exit depressive states depending on the medication they're on. Without really tender management - the sort I am skeptical that most states are capable of offering - I think we could enter an unhealthy paradigm where we are unintentionally opening the door for suicidal depression to take lives that could've been saved with just some relatively cheap pills.

Fun fact the first: desire for physician-assisted suicide in the terminally ill is not strongly-correlated with severity of illness or pain (some studies show zero correlation, others show a very weak correlation). It is strongly correlated with prior episodes of depression and suicidal ideation.

Fun fact the second: desire for physician-assisted suicide in the terminally ill is statistically-significantly-reduced by antidepressant therapy, compared to placebo.

Feral on

• Options
    better not show any ankle or collarbone on pearl street, i tell you h'what

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh and Orphen

I bought that pile of shit cause it was anime and that was cool.

man what a turd

• Options

Fun fact the first: desire for physician-assisted suicide in the terminally ill is not strongly-correlated with severity of illness or pain. It is strongly correlated with prior episodes of depression and suicidal ideation.

Fun fact the second: desire for physician-assisted suicide in the terminally ill is statistically-significantly-reduced by antidepressant therapy, compared to placebo.

I believe both these facts readily. But there is also the simple fact that depressed people who are also terminally ill have an underlying cause for depression which we not only cannot treat, but which also assures death.

Not the case for every depressed person.

• Options
    PS2 had a shit ton of crap at launch tho, it had good stuff like SSX, Tekken Tag, Armored Core 2 but then it had Eternal Ring and Evergrace

Fantavision!

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    stolen from the thread in CF.

this is so rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_Kv6qFM0g

hahahaha, awesome

I should give those folk some money.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I still maintain that the PS2 has the best library of games on any console ever.

• Options
    I had a long day and I'm going to make myself a rootbeer float.

#eatarbys

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Oh, the impressiveness thing in Rimworld is kind of dumb when you realise that your stockpile room will be given super high ratings because it is a big room with huge amounts of wealth

actually it still comes up as mediocre.

the wealth is at like, ludicrous or whatever, but it's still "mediocre" for impressiveness (the first one, whatever it's called)

• Options

Fun fact the first: desire for physician-assisted suicide in the terminally ill is not strongly-correlated with severity of illness or pain. It is strongly correlated with prior episodes of depression and suicidal ideation.

I believe both these facts readily. But there is also the simple fact that depressed people who are also terminally ill have an underlying cause for depression which we not only cannot treat, but which also assures death.

I don't necessarily oppose physician-assisted suicide, but I'm with you in that it is a policy that needs to be adopted carefully.

• Options
    I still maintain that the PS2 has the best library of games on any console ever.

Better than the NES?

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

That's one way to reduce the prevalence of depression, I suppose.

Well, kinda. The obvious solution is to provide free counseling and pharmacological support to help treat it, but if we took a hypothetical person whose depression never responds to any treatment of any kind, wouldn't they be better off not having to suffer through it?

I don't want to give the impression I don't enjoy life, or deeply care for the lives and happiness of others, but I just think the common perception is often weirdly skewed, in that people in poorer areas, especially the developing world, no one gives the least fuck about, even if they could experience untold happiness with just a little bit of care, but others, who may be terminally ill at the end of a life, or perhaps just have problems not solvable even with extensive time, effort, and money, are told that they have to suck it up and live with it, even if, and I mean this is a caring way, they'd be better off dead.

I think we can move to find a better solution that helps more people than current ideas and methods, and I think part of that, particularly in end of life care in rich nations, means recognizing that mortality is inevitable and we should make some choices. I'm not talking death panels or nonsense like that, but I think telling people it's okay to say, "I've had a good run," would be overall healthy.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    better not show any ankle or collarbone on pearl street, i tell you h'what

I'm a little worried about being a slut.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Better than the NES?

Yeah, I think so.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Oh, the impressiveness thing in Rimworld is kind of dumb when you realise that your stockpile room will be given super high ratings because it is a big room with huge amounts of wealth

actually it still comes up as mediocre.

the wealth is at like, ludicrous or whatever, but it's still "mediocre" for impressiveness (the first one, whatever it's called)

Basically your colonists are armchair interior designers who will bitch about everything

Let them sleep in the pigsty for a few nights to learn just how good they have it

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

boombox.jpg
    s4.jpg
    s3.jpg
    s8.jpg

A few days ago my dad expressed the opinion that "arabs" all just like fighting and killing and proving who's the biggest, baddest warlord. It wasn't the first time he expressed this opinion, but it was the first time he explained that he developed this opinion by watching Lawrence of Arabia.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Better than the NES?

Yeah, I think so.

If we're going by numbers of topnotch games that will be remembered 50 years later, I think the NES has the PS2 beat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU80R7jGanE

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

Better than the NES?

Yeah, I think so.

If we're going by numbers of topnotch games that will be remembered 50 years later, I think the NES has the PS2 beat.

katamari

harvest moon

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    There is a certain kind of contentment that only comes with a really good meal. I possess this now.

• Options
    Well, kinda. The obvious solution is to provide free counseling and pharmacological support to help treat it, but if we took a hypothetical person whose depression never responds to any treatment of any kind, wouldn't they be better off not having to suffer through it?

We could also offer counseling and pharmacological support first to people voicing a desire for death during terminal illness, and allow physician-assisted suicide only after those fail, or in cases where they're not possible (say, due to drug interactions).

That's the sort of bureaucratic hurdle I think is actually a good thing.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    "That was juvenile, but funny" <-- someone's idea of a punchline??
    why do you have to make a point

• Options

Better than the NES?

Yeah, I think so.

katamari

harvest moon

Castlevania

Castlevania 3

:razz:

• Options

I don't necessarily oppose physician-assisted suicide, but I'm with you in that it is a policy that needs to be adopted carefully.

I'm not only not opposed, I am in favor.

But it shouldn't just be a right that is extended. At the very least a person wanting to do it should be able to convince a few doctors that it's justified and reasonable under their personal circumstances. I don't feel like that's a difficult hurdle to cross. There are many physicians who support physician-assisted suicide in some cases.

And under no circumstances would I ever support something like same day walk-in death clinics or whatever awful free-market fantasy you could conjure.

This discussion has been closed.