As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Love] Thread: discussing the major online dating services (OKC, PoF, Match, WoW)

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man, I don't really like kids. I can't do the whole "kid talk" thing and we just don't mix.

But

The fact the new Star Wars movie is coming out soon I find myself wishing I had a kid(s) I could take to the theater like my dad took me and then watch with pride as their newly found spark of imagination and creativity and unbridled joy at the idea of space wizards and good vs evil blossoms and I ended up buying way too many toys.

Can you rent a kid? Just for maybe like, 4 days?

You can rent mine.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    ... if you make that a part of the screening process of finding a mate, it tends to weird people out.

Also, just noting, if you actively refer to it as a 'screening process' that will also weird people out.

But maybe it only filters out the ones you didn't want anyway. Hmm. I feel this bears investigation.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Speaking of children, my Uncle got really pushy about the fact that he knows I'm going to have kids.

And I keep telling him no and he just wouldn't drop it. It got super creepy.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Speaking of children, my Uncle got really pushy about the fact that he knows I'm going to have kids.

Bad news your uncle is Mister Sinister

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Man, screw people like that, even the less direct/creepy ones. "Oh, you'll change your mind." "You'll regret it later." "God might have other plans."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The 'God might have other plans' is easy to counter with 'Gods plans can be easily countered with an outpatient procedure.' The shock and horror won't shut them up, but you get to enjoy the look on their face at least.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Hmm, well, Sassori is a redhead.

@Sassori quick what number am I thinking of?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Hmm, well, Sassori is a redhead.

@Sassori quick what number am I thinking of?

Also- I'm not a redhead.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    you're not?

my apologies, it's been forever

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Tell him you ripped out your uterus a few months ago. Just to be sure.

I mean, you should only have to tell him that it's none of his goddamned business, but that's another option?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

tell him you already had them

except they came out wrong

and then scream for like 45 minutes

that should get him off your back

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This might be my favorite option so far.

Or should I start cackling menacingly?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Are you saying Sassori is Hope Summers? Because I'm not sure uncle is as appropriate as Clonedad. Or am I getting Stryfe and Sinister mixed up?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This might be my favorite option so far.

Or should I start cackling menacingly?

go with the moment

edit: also if you need someone to hide in some nearby bushes roll around and squall at the right time by god I am there

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    @Magic Pink

I feel like you really get me.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Man, I don't really like kids. I can't do the whole "kid talk" thing and we just don't mix.

But

The fact the new Star Wars movie is coming out soon I find myself wishing I had a kid(s) I could take to the theater like my dad took me and then watch with pride as their newly found spark of imagination and creativity and unbridled joy at the idea of space wizards and good vs evil blossoms and I ended up buying way too many toys.

You can rent mine.

What's the going rate for children these days?

Is it still a ha'penny a day?

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Are you saying Sassori is Hope Summers? Because I'm not sure uncle is as appropriate as Clonedad. Or am I getting Stryfe and Sinister mixed up?

Sinister's been the official Creepy Uncle to the entire Summers family for around 150 years. Not counting the parts of the family tree that branch into the future and then loop back, because I don't want to think about the math.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Sinister's been the official Creepy Uncle to the entire Summers family for around 150 years. Not counting the parts of the family tree that branch into the future and then loop back, because I don't want to think about the math.

You've already thought about that math in the future.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The 'God might have other plans' is easy to counter with 'Gods plans can be easily countered with an outpatient procedure.' The shock and horror won't shut them up, but you get to enjoy the look on their face at least.

I always want to answer with something along the lines of "I could say the same to you, but at least in my case, I have the option of fixing my mistake." But I don't because I'd feel bad afterwards.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I... honestly have a chart on a pad of graph paper in my laptop case right now. It's a shame my Marvel Superheroes RPG group fell apart after the first two sessions, because I had plans.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

I... honestly have a chart on a pad of graph paper in my laptop case right now. It's a shame my Marvel Superheroes RPG group fell apart after the first two sessions, because I had plans.

fell apart or ran away

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I asked my daughter if she wanted to see Star Wars with me because I saw the poster at the theater and she didn't really want to.

Then the trailer played for it during the movie and she leaned over and whispered "Nevermind, I want to see that, you have to take me."

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

God probably knew we'd develop medical practice and shit. God's plans can totally include outpatient procedures.

• Options
    The God's plan argument is dumb anyway because who the fuck are you to try and say what God's plan is? Your own bible tells you not to try that shit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    The God's plan argument is dumb anyway because who the fuck are you to try and say what God's plan is? Your own bible tells you not to try that shit.

Reminds me of the joke about the man who's house is about to flood.

First the fire department knocks and says he has to leave. He tells them "No, god will save me"
    Then , as the waters are rising to his door, a boat comes by and says get in. He tells them "No, god will save me"
    As he is sitting on the roof, with the water rising up above the house, a helicopter flys up and they drop the ladder, but he shouts "No, god will save me."

So, he drowns, and when he gets to heaven he asks god, "Why didn't you save me?"

and god shouts "What in the hell did you think the fireman, the boat, and the helicopter were you idiot!"

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tayrun wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »
    How do I deal with the fact that as a nerdy introvert I keep getting matched with Harvard graduates when I dropped out of college due to crippling depression after a year.

The obvious answer is "ignore the self-created feelings of total inadequacy and let them decide for themselves" but obvious answers to emotional problems have never been my strong suit.

Been right where you are.

Would you beat yourself up for dropping out of a marathon if you broke your leg? No, of course not.

Physical health, mental health, same reasoning.

You were ill. Ill is ill, end of. Stop beating yourself up and give yourself a break mate - you deserve one.

Having been on anti-depressants for about three months now, I can confidently say that it is absolutely a debilitating illness that makes everything much harder than it needs to be.

Everything.

The biggest problem with depression, though? It convinces you that it's your fault for being miserable in the first place.

It distorts your reality.

Your inability to just pick up and get shit done isn't because of some mental dysfunction, no. It's because you're distracted because of how fat you are, or how skinny you look, or because you're too messy to find anything, or because you're too much of a fuck pu to do all the things you'd like to do, and if you could just stop doing all those things wrong you'd stop being miserable because these feelings are definitely caused by other things and NOT by a mental illness that's fucking with you.

All that "self created problems" thing? That's a pretty big red flag, right there.

Realizing you might have depression is when you finally have a chance to do something about it.

If you haven't already gotten some real help for that, @slym , please do yourself a favor and get on that shit. Life gets so much better afterwards.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Reminds me of the joke about the man who's house is about to flood.

First the fire department knocks and says he has to leave. He tells them "No, god will save me"
    Then , as the waters are rising to his door, a boat comes by and says get in. He tells them "No, god will save me"
    As he is sitting on the roof, with the water rising up above the house, a helicopter flys up and they drop the ladder, but he shouts "No, god will save me."

So, he drowns, and when he gets to heaven he asks god, "Why didn't you save me?"

and god shouts "What in the hell did you think the fireman, the boat, and the helicopter were you idiot!"

I heard a pastor tell that one in a sermon once. I liked that pastor.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @Goatmon sometimes it is "other things", it's not always depression without any reason or logical explanation. sometimes it's a combination of factors. but yeah, i agree. even if ad didn't work for me, but i only tried one type so far.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

But

You can rent mine.

Free if you bring him back in the same or better condition than you found him.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

But

You can rent mine.

If you'll accept "had nothing but gummy bears and a slurpee for dinner" as a value of "better"...

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Tayrun wrote: »
    How do I deal with the fact that as a nerdy introvert I keep getting matched with Harvard graduates when I dropped out of college due to crippling depression after a year.

The obvious answer is "ignore the self-created feelings of total inadequacy and let them decide for themselves" but obvious answers to emotional problems have never been my strong suit.

Been right where you are.

Would you beat yourself up for dropping out of a marathon if you broke your leg? No, of course not.

Physical health, mental health, same reasoning.

You were ill. Ill is ill, end of. Stop beating yourself up and give yourself a break mate - you deserve one.

Having been on anti-depressants for about three months now, I can confidently say that it is absolutely a debilitating illness that makes everything much harder than it needs to be.

Everything.

The biggest problem with depression, though? It convinces you that it's your fault for being miserable in the first place.

It distorts your reality.

Your inability to just pick up and get shit done isn't because of some mental dysfunction, no. It's because you're distracted because of how fat you are, or how skinny you look, or because you're too messy to find anything, or because you're too much of a fuck pu to do all the things you'd like to do, and if you could just stop doing all those things wrong you'd stop being miserable because these feelings are definitely caused by other things and NOT by a mental illness that's fucking with you.

All that "self created problems" thing? That's a pretty big red flag, right there.

Realizing you might have depression is when you finally have a chance to do something about it.

If you haven't already gotten some real help for that, @slym , please do yourself a favor and get on that shit. Life gets so much better afterwards.

I'm on antidepressants now and feeling a lot better about myself but my life still isn't up to where I want it to be and some work still needs to be done to get my headspace right but I'm way better than I was then.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    I'm on antidepressants now and feeling a lot better about myself but my life still isn't up to where I want it to be and some work still needs to be done to get my headspace right but I'm way better than I was then.

You'll get there, just takes time. Just breathe. It's trite to say, I know, but really it does get better. Let it take the time it takes, ain't no pressure.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I've been engaging in an incredibly slow-burn conversation on OKC that I'm quite happy with. Turns out, being able to take a day or two to reply to a message with zero pressure feels freeing.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in the same boat.

It's not like my problems are suddenly fixed.

It's more like, suddenly I understand that things are surmountable. I'm working towards actual solutions and taking better care of myself because I know that it's worth it to try.

As opposed to just meandering around thinking about how I should start dealing with my shit, but never quite mustering the will to actually try. Or thinking about how to start fixing things and nearly having a panic attack at the thought of actually making shit happen and going back to not thinking about things.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    haven't heard back from zelda lady on where/when. must be busy lately

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

But

You can rent mine.

Racing stripes/ghost flames make everything better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Today at work was a test of my inner strength. To preface: sometimes I work for/with small-ish theaters in my area that maintain stable house crews and have a fairly stable roster of overhire grips (such as myself) that they bring in to provide extra hands on deck, if you will. Literally everyone on the 12+ person crew I was on today was in my age range (25-35), married or happily partnered in some way, and spent the entire 13 hour work day talking about how much they loved their respective partners/spouses and riffing about the quirks and foibles of their relationships.

Meanwhile I am there, alone, quietly wishing for a set piece to fall on me and kill me instantaneously, but not in such a way that it causes a big mess that requires the set piece in question to be re-fabricated or otherwise scrapped (it was a really nice set!). Nothing fell and killed me. God is cruel.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    I've been engaging in an incredibly slow-burn conversation on OKC that I'm quite happy with. Turns out, being able to take a day or two to reply to a message with zero pressure feels freeing.

I knew I had the right one when our slow, introvert messages accelerated to a fever pitch. The best partner for an introvert is the one that feels at home in your bubble.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Today at work was a test of my inner strength. To preface: sometimes I work for/with small-ish theaters in my area that maintain stable house crews and have a fairly stable roster of overhire grips (such as myself) that they bring in to provide extra hands on deck, if you will. Literally everyone on the 12+ person crew I was on today was in my age range (25-35), married or happily partnered in some way, and spent the entire 13 hour work day talking about how much they loved their respective partners/spouses and riffing about the quirks and foibles of their relationships.

Meanwhile I am there, alone, quietly wishing for a set piece to fall on me and kill me instantaneously, but not in such a way that it causes a big mess that requires the set piece in question to be re-fabricated or otherwise scrapped (it was a really nice set!). Nothing fell and killed me. God is cruel.

Should have opened the box.

This discussion has been closed.