As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    It sucks but on the bright side it beats buying video games 20 years ago.

not really.

20 years ago you had the bliss of getting a physical product, that you'll have forever, not dependant on some account or service, and you got the smell and the feel of the manual and the tactile bliss.

I always try to buy DRM free when possible, Steam or no Steam. I have the GOG versions of Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. Hopefully Vegas will be there one day too.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If the street dates been broken so profoundly, a decent company would just go fuck it and unlock everyones so everyone gets a fair shot.

Except then you've screwed over your retail partners who followed the rules. Why go to gamestop when I could get it digitally right now? And now gamestop isn't going to carry your games anymore. It's a tricky dance. Thinking I'll try the VPN thing tomorrow, will have to wait and see

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

not really.

20 years ago you had the bliss of getting a physical product, that you'll have forever, not dependant on some account or service, and you got the smell and the feel of the manual and the tactile bliss.

A physical product that could be just as easily scratched, broken, or lost and took up space. Screw physical media. And meanwhile you also got to deal with this:
    Quid wrote:
    A long, long time ago you would pay cash monies for an NES game. And that shit didn't just magically coalesce out of the aether and on to your glorious Nippon Famicom either. First you had to beg your parents to drive you to the local Montgomery Ward. And don't think you'd get to just grab the game and go. Oh no, you can bet your sweet childhood ass your dad would want to saunter over to home and garden to look at barbecues and lawn mowers. And then it's over to clothes with mom who would pick out a half dozen pairs of pants and shirts and you would try on every single one, mister, and also your shoes are starting to looked a little ragged so let's go see what fits when we're done here. Then, finally, you had to search up and down an aisle of games sorted haphazardly by some poor blind man that they'd charitably hired to handle these new fangled fad game systems before at long last waiting in line for an eternity while each person wrote out a check for their purchases. Or, God forbid, tried to swipe a credit card through the brand spanking new electronic point of sale systems which, just, game over man it's time to set up camp and pick someone's leg to eat. And then you'd get through the register, with disapproving looks from all the adults for spending so much of your hard earned allowance on a game, only for your parents to decide to stop by the Dairy Queen and you bet your ass you're going to sit down in the restaurant to eat.

ALL OF IT IN TEN FEET OF SNOW UP HILL.

And for this experience we would pay, in today's money, one hundred dollars. For eight bit games. And we were happy to do it.

Yeah today's way better.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    ED! wrote: »

I mean right now there are damn near 200 streamers on the PS4. You're fucking game is out. Stop pretending otherwise. I mean sites have been a minefield the last couple of days because Bethesda is holding on to this insane idea that the world needs to "wait". Bah.

You realize that there are business deals in place that tie Bethesda's hands in this situation right?

Bethesda isn't "insane" or on some kind of ideological crusade. This is simple business, which as it turns out isn't so simple as "blurf why doesn't a giant corporate entity break its contractual agreements to follow the fleeting whims of its customers"

Scosglen on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah I think if Bethesda were to just say, "Fuck it, release the Kraken!" it would screw with lots of things. I mean, other distributors who were still getting their ducks in a row would be inundated with customers demanding their copy, game sites and such would suddenly be scrambling to put up their reviews, all kinds of madness.

There's a huge machine that's behind this whole "release date" thing, and un-doing it at the last minute might please some fans, but it would also piss off lots of people and really not be worth it.

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I just can't see the problem with an actual release date. I've lived nearly thirty years without Fallout 4, I can wait another day or two.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »
    I just can't see the problem with an actual release date. I've lived nearly thirty years without Fallout 4, I can wait another day or two.

If you could call that living!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    It would just be nice if there were seperate release dates for physical and digital.

I shouldn't have to wait to unlock my digital copy (Its right frickin there in my steam library right now) because someone didn't get their physical copy shipped yet and brick and mortar stores are afraid of losing money.

It just frustrates me. Maybe theres an angle where it all makes sense that its still going but right now I'm just too annoyed to see it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    A release date is by no means the end of the world but it's definitely an inconvenience for the sole purpose of marketing. And while I'm certainly biased here I put my own convenience ahead of marketing.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Anybody's PSN version preloading yet? Whoever's in charge of that is cutting it awfully close again.

I got rad internet, and as long as PSN works as intended, it shouldn't be a problem for me. However, if for some reason PSN's download speeds suck for me, or if I was afflicted with a slow and unreliable internet connection, like so many are, I might start preloading now and still not have my client ready for tomorrow's midnight launch.

Why would Sony cut it so damn close with its preloading everytime? At least give us a half a week headstart, so that the preload actually does what it's supposed to do, allowing me to play as soon as intended, and not when my download finishes. Jeez.

BranniganSepp on
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    So is it not a global release at the same time?

No, it's midnight local time. So New Zealand gets it first, as its Tuesday first there.

North America may work differently, if on of its timezones is the 'real' launch time.

I'm in the UK so if I trick my PC into thinking it lives in New Zealand, I can play 12 hours earlier.

Mind you, I won't be home from work until 7pm at the earliest, or later if I do some shopping to stock up of food for the next 72 hours.

Mental note - buy fruit, not just beer and pizza...

I assume by a VPN...does that trick steam? I thought your actual location was saved and could only be changed every few months...maybe that's a different service for games, there's quite a few.

It redirects your IP via the country in question, so your PC tells steam your computer is physically in that country, hence local Steam.

Using this to buy cheap games is a bannable offence, but not to unlock games you've already bought locally.

I have heard that this CAN be a bannable offence, but they haven't banned anyone for it yet. Are people gonna do this? When's the earliest you can? I obviously want to play asap but don't want to lose my Steam account.
    Blarg you've got me paranoid now...I don't see why they would given people travel and can unlock, especially given how many copy's are already out and people are playing them....but still.
    The Steam EULA says no proxy/vpn usage to get around geographic restrictions. People are actively banned for doing it to get around pricing restrictions. You may get banned for using it to get around "content" or "any other" restrictions. I assume it's up to the publisher.

I've never heard of anyone getting banned for early unlock. I did it with... Skyrim, I want to say, as well as some Origin game. But you do so at your own risk.
    Hopefully I don't end up being the first person banned for unlocking early.

I gotta do it though. I need my fix.

They can't ban us all!

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey guys. I am clueless at video games things for PC. Is a gtx 950 good? Can I run all the things at max?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I am clueless at video games things for PC. Is a gtx 950 good? Can I run all the things at max?

It's ok, not great. it will run fo4, but not everything at max.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms

Your card should be fine. You might not be able to run everything at max depending on certain particulars but should be able to get very close to it if not completely.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Looking at cards to put on my amazon list. What's the best one at or below 200 you guys could recommend on amazon?

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It would just be nice if there were seperate release dates for physical and digital.

I shouldn't have to wait to unlock my digital copy (Its right frickin there in my steam library right now) because someone didn't get their physical copy shipped yet and brick and mortar stores are afraid of losing money.

It just frustrates me. Maybe theres an angle where it all makes sense that its still going but right now I'm just too annoyed to see it.

A digital release vs a physical release does make sense, although I thought one of the reasons companies released games on a set date these days was that prerelease week was spent in a frenzy of bugfixing for the day one patch (supposedly).

I thought people were referring to the ganked copies that people were already playing, as in, "Screw it, if you can get a hold of a copy before the game's actually out go for it".

Duffel on

A digital release vs a physical release does make sense, although I thought one of the reasons companies released games on a set date these days was that prerelease week was spent in a frenzy of bugfixing for the day one patch (supposedly).

I thought people were referring to the ganked copies that people were already playing, as in, "Screw it, if you can get a hold of a copy before the game's actually out go for it".

I think digital preorder being able to download whenever the game goes gold (means they're done with coding and stuff right?) Would be cool. Also would provide a wider base of people to find bugs to patch before physical retail release. Sort of the early access model. You get it early but it may be super fucked.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Hmm. Was about to pull the trigger on a GPU/CPU upgrade (960/i7 from 770/i3) and thought - nah. We're this close to launch, and Monday is busy anyway. Plus I'd like to see what range of computers are able to crank Fallout 4 at 60FPS.

Just a heads up, 960 from a 770 is basically not even an upgrade, you're going to get roughly comparable performance out of both cards.

Remember, with Nvidia, the first number only denotes the generation, while the second number denotes performance.

So going from a 770 to a 960, you're going up one generation, but down in performance, and the end result is that the cards perform nearly identically.

EDIT: Actually, reading up some benchmarks, it seems like the 960 routinely underperforms compared to the 770

Maddoc on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

not really.

A physical product that could be just as easily scratched, broken, or lost and took up space. Screw physical media. And meanwhile you also got to deal with this:

Not a single CD, music, game, etc, I've ever own is anything less than pristine because I'm not a rabid gorilla.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    100 pages. Someone make a new thread and batsignal me so I can lock this one.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Apparently, preloading is now available on PS4.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna try to marathon blitz a survival new vegas run to get that achievement tonight. Will probably stream it. It will likely totally not work and I'll die a ton but that'll be a fun way to kill the hours.

Looking at cards to put on my amazon list. What's the best one at or below 200 you guys could recommend on amazon?

Honestly with a 950 you're already kinda pushing close to $200. You might be able to swing a 960/970 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday if there's a big enough discount.

not really.

Not a single CD, music, game, etc, I've ever own is anything less than pristine because I'm not a rabid gorilla.

UbtgqB0.jpg?1

*sob*

Honestly with a 950 you're already kinda pushing close to $200. You might be able to swing a 960/970 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday if there's a big enough discount.

My current one is a 420 or 240. Just not sure what the best upgrade would be and that 950 one looked like it may be it but I wanted to check

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

not really.

what is this cd you speak of

i recall an ancient relic with a similar name

in the before time

in the long, long ago

(real talk I haven't built a computer with DVD drive in many years and I have no idea what the fuck I would do with it if I had one)

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ah, it's brilliant. Everybody knows that pirates have especially poor datacaps.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Hmm. Was about to pull the trigger on a GPU/CPU upgrade (960/i7 from 770/i3) and thought - nah. We're this close to launch, and Monday is busy anyway. Plus I'd like to see what range of computers are able to crank Fallout 4 at 60FPS.

Just a heads up, 960 from a 770 is basically not even an upgrade, you're going to get roughly comparable performance out of both cards.

Remember, with Nvidia, the first number only denotes the generation, while the second number denotes performance.

So going from a 770 to a 960, you're going up one generation, but down in performance, and the end result is that the cards perform nearly identically.

EDIT: Actually, reading up some benchmarks, it seems like the 960 routinely underperforms compared to the 770

I did not know that. Just figured, more numbers more power! Saved myself 200 bucks. Maybe I can just invest in a i7 or i5 with Amazon Now and see how that performs. under 200 is easier to swallow than over 500.

I only thought 960 because of the streamer yesterday; seemed to be able to run the game at a pretty consistent 60FPS with an i7 and the 960. Crazy that that's not supposed to be that much better than my current card (which I'm ashamed to say I got because of WILDSTAR).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

not really.

I remember when manuals were large enough that you could kill a man with them. Good times.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Remember the days when PC games came in giant boxes? Then everything starting shrinking and you'd get a very huge box with almost nothing inside. It took a few years for them to get the size right, just in time for everyone to go digital.

"I see everything twice!"

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

not really.

I remember when manuals were large enough that you could kill a man with them. Good times.

Janes flight sims books were the best for that, spiral bound tomes 500 pages thick just full of so much information you could use it to fly an actual plane.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Remember the days when PC games came in giant boxes? Then everything starting shrinking and you'd get a very huge box with almost nothing inside. It took a few years for them to get the size right, just in time for everyone to go digital.

I remember seeing the first small PC box I ever saw. Warcraft 3. I was like why the fuck did the put it in this tiny box? Ah to be young again. I have a friend who still has a collection of big PC boxes. I still have the small box for Hitman Blood Money on a shelf somewhere. I think that may have been the last physical copy of a game I purchased.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

I upgraded from 650Ti to a 960.

Guess I probably should have thought about that a lil bit more.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I upgraded from 650Ti to a 960.

Guess I probably should have thought about that a lil bit more.

I mean, that's fine, you just generally want to be careful about "upgrading" if you're moving to a lower performance model. Which for Nvidia means you generally don't want to get a new card where that second number is lower than your existing card.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Those were the days of huge 100+pages color manuals.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular

If it helps, you could always get a strategy guide. I had the skyrim one, and it was hefty enough to break bones with a decent swing. I imagine the one for Fallout 4 will probably be no less hefty. Though I suppose it won't be quite the same, since you won't have the pleasure of having it readily available upon receiving the game.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

not really.

I miss the ones that were so thick that it could stop a bullet.

FYI for anyone considering their character build. Supposedly you can get an extra Special point very early in game, specifically:
    In the remnants of your old house there's a book that give an additional point.

Shogun wrote: »

I remember seeing the first small PC box I ever saw. Warcraft 3. I was like why the fuck did the put it in this tiny box? Ah to be young again. I have a friend who still has a collection of big PC boxes. I still have the small box for Hitman Blood Money on a shelf somewhere. I think that may have been the last physical copy of a game I purchased.
    I was actually glad when the small boxes hit, even though I was already buying pretty much everything on Steam at that point. Not everyone has room for all that shit in their home.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I think digital preorder being able to download whenever the game goes gold (means they're done with coding and stuff right?) Would be cool. Also would provide a wider base of people to find bugs to patch before physical retail release. Sort of the early access model. You get it early but it may be super fucked.

Gone gold is a production thing, not a coding and development thing. It means they've got the build they're going to use for the gold master they ship to the disc manufacturer. It hasn't meant that coding is done for a very long time.

not really.

Pipes burst, basements flood, homes catch fire.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
This discussion has been closed.