Options

[Fallout] This thread overrun by Caesar's Legion. Go find a new one.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2015
    Haven't played enough yet to proclaim DOOM, but I've seen a number of things that are... not encouraging.

Right off the top, I'm astonished that they completely removed any skill system whatsoever; I was expecting something like Skyrim where using pistols makes me better with pistols. Instead, there is... nothing. Everything is determined by perks, base stats, and whatever special stat-boosting items you find around. Seems like a great way to rip the guts out of any feeling of progression and get pretty much nothing back for it.

That's how Fallout always worked. Using skills don't make them better. Quests and killing stuff gives XP to level up to make them better. They did remove the skill system, but it never worked like that in the first place.

Echo on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I keep trying to make my way to Diamond City (I'm level 17 and still haven't been), but then I see a building and wonder what's inside. Then I need to go back to Sanctuary to dump all the loot. I fast travel back to that location and oh look another building. I wonder what's inside.

That sounds exactly like me. My wife even joked "Aren't you like supposed to be doing something important?"

My wife spent, literally, two or so hours taking apart and rebuilding Sanctuary the moment she got back from Concord.

"Wasn't your son kidnapped?"
    "Fuck that kid!"

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I just don't care about the whole family thing. I didn't care about finding my dad in FO3, I don't care about finding my son in FO4.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    You're all monsters!

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I just don't care about the whole family thing. I didn't care about finding my dad in FO3, I don't care about finding my son in FO4.

It's OK. Fallout is about finding yourself.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »

It's OK. Fallout is about finding yourself.

And some adhesive.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    No wife, no kids.

Just lasers, booze and a nice chunk of change from bartering away the wedding rings.

The apocalypse is the best thing to ever happen to my Survivor.

I'm freeee!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I always have a hard time finding copper for the wiring at my base. Also, it's pretty silly the materials aren't shared between bases, that would be high in the ' must fix' list for mods I want.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So I got the Touchdown achievement.....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    So I got the Touchdown achievement.....

Charbroiled hi-five, me too!

I also found my first Vault.

It was messed up.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Played for many hours last night, and I can safely say I love the shit out of the game. Strong GOTY contender (barring any major bugs popping up). It's more Fallout with some pretty good quality of life improvements, and that's all I really need. I'm finding it hard to give a shit about the main quest... maybe if they spent a little more time establishing stuff at the very beginning of the game. I'll get to it eventually, but the wastes need explorin' and folks need some of my lead based diplomacy.

Also, I realized that the VA for the female player character is Jack from Mass Effect, and then I ran into a guy voiced by Garrus' VA as well. That was awesome. Except I had to kill the Garrus dude because he didn't lock his terminal and I read his journal.

Just about my only gripe with the game is the construction system. I cleared out a ruined house in Sanctuary, and wanted to build myself a new one on the foundation. The interface is pretty clunky and bad, and it's pretty much impossible for me to put a roof on it. Little disappointed in that =/

It's better to dump all your junk on the ground and scrap it in build mode, right? That way you get all the possible materials from each item?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Just about my only gripe with the game is the construction system. I cleared out a ruined house in Sanctuary, and wanted to build myself a new one on the foundation. The interface is pretty clunky and bad, and it's pretty much impossible for me to put a roof on it. Little disappointed in that =/

Yeah, I was hoping things would snap to the foundation. That looks like what it's there for!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Played for many hours last night, and I can safely say I love the shit out of the game. Strong GOTY contender (barring any major bugs popping up). It's more Fallout with some pretty good quality of life improvements, and that's all I really need. I'm finding it hard to give a shit about the main quest... maybe if they spent a little more time establishing stuff at the very beginning of the game. I'll get to it eventually, but the wastes need explorin' and folks need some of my lead based diplomacy.

Also, I realized that the VA for the female player character is Jack from Mass Effect, and then I ran into a guy voiced by Garrus' VA as well. That was awesome. Except I had to kill the Garrus dude because he didn't lock his terminal and I read his journal.

It's better to dump all your junk on the ground and scrap it in build mode, right? That way you get all the possible materials from each item?

You get all items either way. Reddit was being Reddit with that one.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Has anyone had luck building a second or third floor? My attempt to build a boxy three story building went... poorly.

• Options
    I was actually pretty impressed with how simple it was to build stuff.

Had my first house built and decorated in just a few minutes. Took me awhile to figure out that you need a specific wall for doors to fit in but other than that, smooth sailing so far.

• Options
    Oh ok, that's good then!

And also, HOLY SHIT are feral ghouls super terrifying in this game... Stumbled upon a trainyard that was lousy with em, and got the biggest non-scripted jump scare ever. Thought it was just one ghoul, and then they "clever girl'd" me and I got flanked by another one who made me piss myself... then they all came out of the woodwork and Dogmeat got swarmed and I ran away. "He'll be fiiiiine" I said as I booked it through the woods.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Oh ok, that's good then!

And also, HOLY SHIT are feral ghouls super terrifying in this game... Stumbled upon a trainyard that was lousy with em, and got the biggest non-scripted jump scare ever. Thought it was just one ghoul, and then they "clever girl'd" me and I got flanked by another one who made me piss myself... then they all came out of the woodwork and Dogmeat got swarmed and I ran away. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!" I said as I booked it through the woods.

Fixed

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I've had ghouls coming in through fucking windows and shit. That stuff is scary as hell, and not something I expected to see in this game.

• Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I always have a hard time finding copper for the wiring at my base. Also, it's pretty silly the materials aren't shared between bases, that would be high in the ' must fix' list for mods I want.

There is a charisma perk that does this.

• Options
    So I'm in Vault [REDACTED] and I found four rolls of military-grade duct tape. 4 Adhesives each!

About settlement defense - do people I give guns to and assign to defense get magical ammo, or do I need to keep them supplied with that too?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I've had ghouls coming in through fucking windows and shit. That stuff is scary as hell, and not something I expected to see in this game.

I make it a point to put a bullet into the head of any vaguely ghoul-like being on the ground the moment I spot it. The joy of seing one of them stagger up with half health only to go down to my hail of bullets a second later is well worth the occasional wasted bullety.

Of course, that only works for the ones I see before they see me.

I picked up my third companion yesterday, in a manner I wasn't quite expecting.
    The Combat Zone somehow appeared on my map, and having spoiled myself of the location names where companions can be recruited, I decided to give it a look. The entrance made the rules of the place pretty clear; the important one being no fighting outside the ring. I shrugged, stepped inside, and walked over towards the bar.

At that point someone screamed, and twelve raiders opened fire on me.

I'm still not sure exactly why this happened, for all I knew I looked just like a regular wastelander. Perhaps they'd heard of me, or perhaps it was just a very exclusive club. Either way, it made recruiting Cait a lot easier than I had expected.

I'm still not sure what to think of her. So far her dislike of my do-goodery has been balanced by her approval of my trauma-induced alcoholism, but she has yet to prove actually useful in a fight.

Vic on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm a little annoyed how it feels like if you don't have 6 Charisma for Local Leader, you're wasting your time with the settlement aspect of the game.

I can't build any vendors or supply lines until I have Local Leader at all, which kind of makes me wonder why I'm making new settlements. Who cares? What's the benefit for me besides having an extra town of demanding people who want food/water/beds every time I leave a dungeon?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I keep trying to make my way to Diamond City (I'm level 17 and still haven't been), but then I see a building and wonder what's inside. Then I need to go back to Sanctuary to dump all the loot. I fast travel back to that location and oh look another building. I wonder what's inside.

That sounds exactly like me. My wife even joked "Aren't you like supposed to be doing something important?"

Yeah, in real life if my kid as missing, finding him would be the only thing I did, all day every day.

In Fallout I'm like "Oh, a shack!"

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I made a roughly 6x5 4 story high building with the metal pre-fab blocks. Got me 2 levels worth of xp.
    Moved all the beds in there, and storage and fiddled a bit with electricity but didn't have the copper to properly light it.

My settlement isn't attracting new people though, it has 15 beds 12 food 18 water 20 defense and 66 happyness. And the beacon is on. Only thing I don't have is shops because perks.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

Copper isn't (in my experience) necessarily listed as a material you will get from breaking junk down but it is in a bunch of stuff like lightbulbs, phones and hot plates. In the workshop interface pin copper and the game will put a little magnifying glass next to anything that might have copper in it.

I've had no luck syncing up my ipad and my PS4. It (the ipad) just tells me it can't find the game and I should turn the option on and restart.

• Options
    Looks like companions still notice when you're stealing even if you tell them to wait in the middle of town while you go burglaring in houses.

Psychic companions. Well, thats kind of bullshit.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Charisma is weak. I've got 9 charisma and still pretty much every persuasion is yellow.

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I didn't care about finding my father in Fallout 3; I was more worried about dealing with everyone else, who seemed desperate.

In Fallout 4, finding my kid was immediately THE ONLY thing I cared about, and I carried that thread of 'family is the only thing that matters' right the way through the game. The other factions all seemed to be doing pretty well without me, other than maybe the Minutemen I guess? I didn't get the immediate impression anyone else needed me like I did in 3.

I see what people mean when they say Fallout 4 is a bit more post-post apocalypse. I like it.

Now if only I could decide what build to make for the second playthrough. First time was fairly balanced and that made things hard. I kinda want to go heavy Charisma but I also want to be good at fighting... and I'm ALSO tempted to try going Endurance 9 from the outset and see if I can just monster my way through every encounter.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Charisma is weak. I've got 9 charisma and still pretty much every persuasion is yellow.

Yep, it's kinda dumb. How would you ever use a persuade option with a reasonable amount of charisma is beyond me, I fail half the time with 10.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Have you failed any yet though?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Materials are shared after you set up a caravan between based.

CHA 6 is really important for base building.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen any conversation options that use the other stats beyond charisma yet?

I've seen bribe but no threaten or anything like that yet.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options

Yellow is the lowest difficulty. It goes yellow, orange, red.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Was that the guy at the
    excavation site that you could help drain? If so, yeah, I was going to go on my merry way until I came across that terminal and saw what he had planned, and was like "sir Mr. 10mm has some concerns about your plans he would like to discuss with you."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Vic wrote: »

I make it a point to put a bullet into the head of any vaguely ghoul-like being on the ground the moment I spot it.

Oh yeah... that was fucking (not)awesome. "Well I'm just going to loot this here bod-OH GOD NO!"

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    4 hours into the game.

-Crappy Dialogue
    -Crappy RPG system
    -Crappy fetch quests

+crafting system is good.
    +much better combat from previous entries. Though this comes at a cost of FO is now officially a FPS first, RPG last.

I mean the introduction doesn't make sense. Sign some papers and then 2 minutes later you're in a vault? 30 minutes later you went from 'OMG am I the last man on Earth?' to 'YEAH FUCKERS MINI-FUCKING-GUN!' ? 60 minutes later you're running a town? Yeah, I know, video games. But I would appreciate some moment of reflection.

Like I said, a game of 'Good Enough'.

Good news is that the metacritic is in the 80s. Maybe this'll force Bethesda to actually try on their next game.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I don't have this game yet, Amazon says I might get it the 19th. I'm fine with that, I didn't get 1 day shipping or anything. I don't need stuff day one.

One of the things I always enjoyed in 3 and NV were the unexpected little bonus perks from doing random quests, stuff like Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide and Ant Sight/Ant Might from Those! Stuff relevant to the quest you did, not super OP but just nice additions above regular leveling and such. Does there seem to be anything like that in this game?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright this game is great.

Bumping up the difficulty was the right idea.

The setting, the combat, the scrap the world mentality all feel awesome.

The menus leave something to be desired but I'm already getting more than I could have hoped for from the game so I'll deal.

• Options
    I don't have this game yet, Amazon says I might get it the 19th. I'm fine with that, I didn't get 1 day shipping or anything. I don't need stuff day one.

One of the things I always enjoyed in 3 and NV were the unexpected little bonus perks from doing random quests, stuff like Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide and Ant Sight/Ant Might from Those! Stuff relevant to the quest you did, not super OP but just nice additions above regular leveling and such. Does there seem to be anything like that in this game?

Yes. There are both bobbleheads and magazines that give perks that are otherwise unattainable. They are always collectibles in the environment, but I'd be shocked if there arent ones you can only get by finishing a particular quest.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

Yes. There are both bobbleheads and magazines that give perks that are otherwise unattainable. They are always collectibles in the environment, but I'd be shocked if there arent ones you can only get by finishing a particular quest.

Yeah I've read about those, I meant specifically quest reward perks, or permanent character buffs, that sort of thing. Not just environmental finds.

Not a big deal I guess because the new systems have so many perks already.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.