As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me color calibrate a laptop monitor

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
So I got a new laptop for work, yay! It's a 2-in-1 that works as both a tablet and a laptop. Yay! It has a 15.6" screen and I'm currently running it at 1920 x 1080, which is a bit of an adjustment because my previous laptop was also 15.6" and it only went up to 1366x768. However, with a few application specific settings (e.g., don't zoom Steam) and clear type tuning, I'm mostly in business.

But, the color settings are off enough that it's bugging the hell out of me. The onboard video is an Intel integrated chip, and no matter how much I play with contrast, brightness, gamma and those three settings in RGB, the whitespace on web pages and word documents have a bit of a yellow cast to them. Otherwise the colors look great.

Thoughts?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What brand/model is it? Might be a driver issue.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    HP Envy x360 Convertible. Video card is an integrated Intel HD Graphics 520. I can confirm that the latest drivers are installed both through the Intel graphics app and the HP driver support app.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    When you go into the intel graphics app, you said that had no effect on anything (RGB/Hue) ? Leave blue at the normal value and drop red and green down a bit to lessen it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I hate to rain on your parade here, but is it too late to return the laptop? I only ask because the reviews and forum posts don't fill me with confidence for solving your problem...
    A hazy look dominates the display no matter what brightness is set to, and people often look like they have an unnaturally warm tone, as if they spent too much time in tanning beds.
    I have noticed that the QHD screen on my x360 has yellow tint to it. Compared to several other devices it is quite obvious, and is a big problem when color correcting photos.

You can color correct to an extent (some of the posts I've seen recommend increasing the blue to as much as +18), but it's an imperfect solution to fix a monitor that is just generally low quality anyway.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    @Shadowfire do you have links to those reviews and forum posts? But so far what you've quoted seems similar to my current efforts where maxing the blue evens out the colors.

Thankfully, I only get laptops at Costco, so I can return it within 90 days no issue whatsoever. Internet spelunking tells me there's an HP-provided utility for color calibration that I'm going to track down and try next.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So, this is from the HP support forum. The guy posting for help posted a link to a screenshot of his desktop, and in the image, the white is very much white, but everything on his screen is tinted yellow.

This is the review I quoted. There is also this one that mentions the warmth of the screen only in passing, but seems unimpressed by heat dissipation.

Lastly, I'm jealous that you have a Costco nearby.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    It's a damn shame, because other than the overly warm colors this is a fantastic laptop that works for me both as a laptop and as a tablet. But, the non-white whites are increasingly jarring, especially when I'm using the laptop as a 3rd monitor at work and shifting between monitors gives me more than a little eyestrain. Time to return it to Costco and see if any other 2-in-1s fit the bill.

@ceres you can close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.