As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terrible framerate despite having recommended requirements

PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp?Registered User regular
My specs are
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960
CPU: Intel i5-4460 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8 GB

Can barely get Far Cry 3 to run at 5 FPS at the suggested settings and am getting slow down during parts of Alien Isolation. My graphics drivers are up to date and I'm slightly at a lost at why it's running so poorly.

teddiepicture-1.jpg
XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    what temperatures are your CPU and GPU running at?

This is a silly one, but you'd be surprised how many times we've heard this here, so we always ask: You have the monitor plugged into the GPU and not one of the motherboard video inputs, correct?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    Both are running at normal temperature. The monitor is plugged into the motherboard as it's a VGA and the graphics card only has a a DVI slot. Is that what's causing the problem?

teddiepicture-1.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Both are running at normal temperature. The monitor is plugged into the motherboard as it's a VGA and the graphics card only has a a DVI slot. Is that what's causing the problem?

Yes. you're using the CPU's on board graphics when you're plugged into the motherboard video. You need to plug into the Video card's ports to actually use the video card.

if your monitor is VGA only you can get a DVI to VGA adapter. It looks something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-DVI-I-Dual-Link-15-Pin-Adapter/dp/B0037UCTXG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452186958&sr=1-3&keywords=dvi+to+vga+adapter.

Alternatively if your monitor has DVI connectors and you don't have a cable, just buy a DVI cable.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    Ok thanks

teddiepicture-1.jpg