As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with parental controls on Windows 10

I've set up a Family Group, created a new "child" account, and set up parental controls. Now I need to basically either move or share *everything* (documents, pictures, saved games, other settings, etc.) from the old (Admin) account to the new Standard account, so that the new account is functionally exactly the same except for the parental controls. The idea is to move most everyday functionality to the Standard account and leave the Admin account for things like software updates. (Why? Because I exhibit addictive behavior toward electronics, so I want to use parental controls to kick myself off at a certain time. Kinda sad, I know.)

(It would have been easier to create a new Admin account and make the old account the "child," but the Microsoft account associated with the old Admin account is automatically an "adult" for purposes of parental controls, and there's no way to demote an "adult" to a "child." For that matter, I'm not sure if I can even switch accounts between Admin and Standard.)

I've found several utilities for copying a user account to a new PC, but none that will let you copy one account to another on the same PC. Simply copying the entire User folder seems inadvisable, since I don't know if that would break stuff; and anyway, I don't have room (500 GB drive with a lot of games on it). Does anyone know how to do this?

I've posted here instead of in H/A because this seemed like the more appropriate place for it. Please move the thread if I'm mistaken :)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Copying the contents of the users folder should not cause any issues. That's what I do when I need to build a new user profile for people when their profile breaks in Win 10 (which happens too often, damnit).

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Good to know. Thanks!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    @Shadowfire - I copied the contents of the users folder, and now things are broken - but only on the new account. Start menu doesn't work, right-clicking on taskbar items doesn't work, and I get registry errors when I try to open a .jpg. I ran Wise Registry Cleaner (after googling to make sure they're legit, obviously), and it doesn't seem to have hurt anything, but it didn't fix the problems either. The old user account is fine. Any ideas?

edit: so far this just seems to be quality-of-life stuff, but I'd still like to fix it.

Calica on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That sounds like the broken user account issue I've been running into with win 10 a lot lately. Here's what I normally do:

Open a command prompt in administrator mode.
    Type sfc /scannow
    After this, even if it doesn't find integrity errors, reboot.
    If everything works, great. If not, open another admin command prompt.
    Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    Let it run. Once it's done, do sfc /scannow again.
    Reboot.

This will hopefully fix the issue. If not, the user account may be well and truly fucked, which means creating a new one.

When you're copying stuff from one user account to another, limit your copying to the documents, pictures, music, and videos folders. The others shouldn't cause major issues, but some can take a lot of time and may or may not do anything.

As a side note, registry cleaners are pretty universally terrible. They can't take into account every possible configuration of hardware and software, and usually end up causing more trouble than they can fix. Targeted changes of broken or invalid registry entries is fine if you know what you're doing, but full cleaners are shit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Running the commands you posted didn't solve the problem, so I created a new user account. Thanks for the information!