Options

Red vs Blue: [Republican Primary] Make D&D Great Again Edition

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I love how most of them are dressed alike.

And none of them manage to make the look work.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The best part about that picture, sartorially speaking, is that every male candidate on the stage is dutifully wearing their red conserva-ties because that's what the right wing wants--except for Trump, who has a "fuck you I fly my own colors" tie, and Jeb, who is just bad at this.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/01/22/3741921/ted-cruz-health-insurance/

Rich guy forgets to sign up for health insurance, blames Obamacare.

you forgot "lies about premium costs to reiterate popular fallacy"

Also, Ted Cruz is worth several million dollars and makes over a million a year. So yeah, fuck that guy.

Also, he's still eligible for the Senate health plan, which is partially subsidized.

Is he? I thought republicans did a thing that basically said they had to get insurance through Obamacare to make a point or something

A republican wrote a bill during the death panel stuff to try and go "See, none of you will sign up for this because you know how horrible it is!" then a democrat was like "that's a great idea, I'll totally cosign that bill!" and the Republican had to quickly go "I wasn't serious, ew, go away!"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

One of these things is not like the others.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Meanwhile:

"You are hiding under your mom's skirt".
    "My mom will beat you up, Trump".

That's pathetic.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is he figuring he can just use replies to people with handles like TheSouthwasRite that make their racism apparent as a form of dog whistle? Because that could work.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Meanwhile:

That's pathetic.

How are you so bad a this Jeb!?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is he figuring he can just use replies to people with handles like TheSouthwasRite that make their racism apparent as a form of dog whistle? Because that could work.

He doesn't care in the slightest how it looks or sounds.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    -stuff about Obama being a movie president
    True, but outside of Hillary Clinton I doubt any of the candidates running now share Obama's grace and poise. Then again, voting on looks is how we got Harding (who was nominated entirely because he "looked Presidential") and (ugh) Reagan.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    On the retweet, it doesn't matter if Trump supports it or not. The whole point was to get more free publicity for a meme making for of Jeb!. His social media handler is all about using trolling techniques as a way to get publicity for Trump. And, of course, it works.

More Trump trash talk:

OMG I can't get enough of Trump's twitter trolling. It's just so ridiculous that this is what the front runner to be the GOP nominee to run the fucking United States is doing. Childish namecalling on a shitty social media service.

I dunno guys. I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to go on if he or Cruz get the nomination. Like, I get the perspective of setting someone up for the democratic nominee to tear down and all, but it's heartbreaking that there are so many people that genuinely think this is a good idea in the first place. I mean, I get that there are a lot of Americans that feel let down by their party, and I get that the GOP in particular has let themselves fall into this trap by relying on pandering for so long, but still... I mean, shouldn't this be the point where the electorate starts seeking an ideally similar 3rd political party and build that up as a serious challenge to the GOP? Is the libertarian or whatever candidate just biding his time for the general to ensure he doesn't lose the short attention span of the base, or what?

I dunno. I'm just really sad that it's gotten to this point. And if that idiocy somehow influences the general enough, well, maybe I'll be able to hit that sweet spot where president Trump enacts his tax policy and I can sell my house without having to worry about capital gains, before the government and associated US Economy is annihilated. That, and I'll pick the lucky country that won't be significantly impacted by the resulting nuclear holocaust when he starts World War 3 less than a week after his inauguration. I dunno, maybe New Zealand? You guys haven't done anything to piss off the Donald, right?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Is Rand wearing a black suit with brown shoes? Bold.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Meanwhile:

That's pathetic.

As a response to the trump tweet that's actually not so bad.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    I mean, shouldn't this be the point where the electorate starts seeking an ideally similar 3rd political party and build that up as a serious challenge to the GOP?
    You'd think that, but unfortunately we've set things up to the point that any third party has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a seat in Congress, much less becoming President.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I mean, shouldn't this be the point where the electorate starts seeking an ideally similar 3rd political party and build that up as a serious challenge to the GOP?
    You'd think that, but unfortunately we've set things up to the point that any third party has a snowball's chance in hell of getting a seat in Congress, much less becoming President.

There's what? 2 senators right now who aren't officially part of one of the major parties? They basically vote with the democrats, although given the alternative it's not surprising. I don't think we need a ton of independents, but having 10-15 in the senate could go a long way towards breaking gridlock (having enough people to get over the 60% cloture hill who have a bit more freedom to vote their conscience/be bargained with).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Meanwhile:

That's pathetic.

Not really, when you are, legitimately, being accused of being in the race purely because of your parents.
    telling your opponents to be carefull of your mom is not a winning move.

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Meanwhile:

That's pathetic.

Not really, when you are, legitimately, being accused of being in the race purely because of your parents.
    telling your opponents to be carefull of your mom is not a winning move.

Not to mention the very obvious point that this is a grown man hiding behind his mother.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Cruz has gotten an endorsement from a right-wing preacher who's publicly stated that Oprah may be the Anti-Christ among other stupid things l.

That wouldn't really be news, except that Cruz has publicly thanked the dude for his endorsement.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This is absolutely true, but the other reason is because third parties don't want to do the hard work of creating a party, and just go straight for the brass rings rather than do what they need to do to win them.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Cruz has gotten an endorsement from a right-wing preacher who's publicly stated that Oprah may be the Anti-Christ among other stupid things l.

That wouldn't really be news, except that Cruz has publicly thanked the dude for his endorsement.
    That she may be the harbinger of the Anti-Christ, actually. But still, kinda stupid.

Funny, though, what with Trump floating Oprah as a running mate in '07.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Speaking of third parties, another vain billionaire would like to enter the race. Bloomberg considering an independent run.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

I want Martin Shkreli to endorse Trump or Cruz.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Speaking of third parties, another vain billionaire would like to enter the race. Bloomberg considering an independent run.
    A three New Yorker general.

Yay.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile:

That's pathetic.

in a different campaign from a different person and, although it makes her recognizable, a different family, this might be a funny moment instead of weird and uncomfortable.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Weirdly enough, I'm not 100% on who he'd pull more votes from - the Democrats, or the Republicans who can't stand Trump and can't bring themselves to vote Democratic.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    it blows me away that the same people who hate obama and call him a bad president wouldnt be able to admit (or simply cant see) that Trump isnt fit to be in the same room as someone like Obama, and the whole world, across the political and ideological isles, knows it.

He wouldnt be fit to be the class president, and is essentially an international punchline to the joke that is unbridled capitalism. Hes a Kardashian. Hes the president the world would have if this was an alternate universe in which the world was somehow Kandy Krush

Like, internationally, Obama is largely seen as an eloquent, commanding figure who has dignity and good grace, regardless of ones political leanings, hes seen as, for lack of a better word, presidential. Hes a movie president, in terms of fulfilling that balance of a sort of fatherly authority figure, who has ones best interests at heart, can have a joke, but is stern when he needs to be. He has the stuff, just in terms of his temprement, body language, etc. On a purely superficial level he looks and feels like a president. Hes basically goddamn Atticus compared to the Bush era.

And yet they honestly think the world will respect and fear a Trump america? The goofball laughing stock the whole world enjoyed as a reality star? Its mind boggling.

I mean I suppose we would fear and respect a Trump America, the same way we'd fear and respect a grizzly bear with rabies

After Trump wins the nomination, he will become the conclusion to so many arguments because of this.

I don't know what's wrong with the Democrats, X isn't fit to be President
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

X has disgraced the office of the Presidency!
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

Look at what X is doing, it's an embarrassment to America!
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

• Options
    edited January 2016

Weirdly enough, I'm not 100% on who he'd pull more votes from - the Democrats, or the Republicans who can't stand Trump and can't bring themselves to vote Democratic.

It would allow the GOP to blame the third party for any loss. Ross Perot is often blamed for the loss in the 1992 presidential election regardless of most experts and the actual polling suggesting it didn't make a difference.

Couscous on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

There's what? 2 senators right now who aren't officially part of one of the major parties? They basically vote with the democrats, although given the alternative it's not surprising. I don't think we need a ton of independents, but having 10-15 in the senate could go a long way towards breaking gridlock (having enough people to get over the 60% cloture hill who have a bit more freedom to vote their conscience/be bargained with).

It really wouldn't. Not unless you are replacing Republicans. In which case, they might as well be democrats.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Trump isn't going to take anyone messing with his VP lying down.
    I can't believe he said he wanted Oprah as his VP and got no backlash from his base.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just in case anyone was wondering, Cruz does have health insurance.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Here's someone the moderate Republicans may finally have in their corner at the voting booth. Too bad he isn't in the primary, being a billionaire himself Bloomberg wouldn't be as easily cowed by Trump.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It really wouldn't. Not unless you are replacing Republicans. In which case, they might as well be democrats.

I meant more in the abstract, but yeah... right now it just doesn't do much.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

Nothing bothers me more than the damn flag pins. It is the tritest and most hollow gesture I can think of in modern politics.

• Options
    Trump shows his conservative credentials for Iowa:

Donald Trump op-ed: My vision for a culture of life:
    Let me be clear — I am pro-life. I support that position with exceptions allowed for rape, incest or the life of the mother being at risk. I did not always hold this position, but I had a significant personal experience that brought the precious gift of life into perspective for me. My story is well documented, so I will not retell it here. However, what I will do with the remaining space is express my feelings about life, and the culture of life, as we just marked the 43rd anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

I build things. There is a process involved in building things. We tap into a lot of disciplines with engineering being one of the most important. The rules for putting structures together are as strict as are the rules of physics. These rules have stood the test of time and have become the path to putting together structures that endure and are beautiful. America, when it is at its best, follows a set of rules that have worked since our Founding. One of those rules is that we, as Americans, revere life and have done so since our Founders made it the first, and most important, of our "unalienable" rights.

Over time, our culture of life in this country has started sliding toward a culture of death. Perhaps the most significant piece of evidence to support this assertion is that since Roe v. Wade was decided by the Supreme Count 43 years ago, over 50 million Americans never had the chance to enjoy the opportunities offered by this country. They never had the chance to become doctors, musicians, farmers, teachers, husbands, fathers, sons or daughters. They never had the chance to enrich the culture of this nation or to bring their skills, lives, loves or passions into the fabric of this country. They are missing, and they are missed.

Meanwhile, Jeb fails:

Jeb!: I’ll Lead a ‘Populist Revolt’

(Only thing missing is the orange wig).

And fails:

https://youtu.be/fFVS1VDQUY4

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Wow.

"I'd like a g-rated role. Where I kill a terrorist. With my bare hands."

The MPAA would like a word with you Jeb!!!

"You're in the 10th episode of the third season. Do you like that?" "I like keeping our country safe."

Safe from... make-believe terrorists on a TV show?

That's a double-fail in 30 seconds. Amazing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Not like there are too many dems out there who think that Hillary is too far left but who can't bring themselves to vote GOP, and generally the kind of blue dogs that are out there like that are people more likely to vote for Webb's quixotic run (if he so chooses) than a libby New Yorker.

His would be a quest in search of a problem, it almost feels like. And yeah, would probably capture more corporatist Republicans.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Trump isn't going to take anyone messing with his VP lying down.
    I can't believe he said he wanted Oprah as his VP and got no backlash from his base.

He panders.

He's a panderer.

He'll say and do anything to convince people to like him.

• Options
    it blows me away that the same people who hate obama and call him a bad president wouldnt be able to admit (or simply cant see) that Trump isnt fit to be in the same room as someone like Obama, and the whole world, across the political and ideological isles, knows it.

He wouldnt be fit to be the class president, and is essentially an international punchline to the joke that is unbridled capitalism. Hes a Kardashian. Hes the president the world would have if this was an alternate universe in which the world was somehow Kandy Krush

Like, internationally, Obama is largely seen as an eloquent, commanding figure who has dignity and good grace, regardless of ones political leanings, hes seen as, for lack of a better word, presidential. Hes a movie president, in terms of fulfilling that balance of a sort of fatherly authority figure, who has ones best interests at heart, can have a joke, but is stern when he needs to be. He has the stuff, just in terms of his temprement, body language, etc. On a purely superficial level he looks and feels like a president. Hes basically goddamn Atticus compared to the Bush era.

And yet they honestly think the world will respect and fear a Trump america? The goofball laughing stock the whole world enjoyed as a reality star? Its mind boggling.

I mean I suppose we would fear and respect a Trump America, the same way we'd fear and respect a grizzly bear with rabies

After Trump wins the nomination, he will become the conclusion to so many arguments because of this.

I don't know what's wrong with the Democrats, X isn't fit to be President
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

X has disgraced the office of the Presidency!
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

Look at what X is doing, it's an embarrassment to America!
    You
    Nominated
    Donald
    Trump

You assume that
    A: They aknowledge it ever happened
    B: They won't accuse Trump from being Democratic plant (and whole primary being flooded by dems pretending to be Republicans)
    C: They are embarassed by Donald Trump

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Trump does it again:

And memes from the future:

Two years from today:

t0g8s0.png

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dang

Trump did not write a word of that op-ed