Options

[TV]The CW Thread (No Yayas Allowed)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Rachel and I watched the first episode of American Horror Story last night

this show seems like... amazing trash.

It's kind of disappointing trash, unfortunately

It usually ends up just meandering around by 2/3 of the way through a season, and always has an extremely lackluster finale

Yeah, I can see that. They introduce so much shit in just the first episode that I can't see all of those goofy plot threads coming to a satisfying conclusion. There's something to be said about focusing on a few plotlines instead of the, like... six that seem to be going on in that show.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I personally thought Asylum stayed in the sweet spot of glorious trash the whole way through.

I've never made it passed four episodes of every following season though.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It usually ends up just meandering around by 2/3 of the way through a season, and always has an extremely lackluster finale

Yeah, I can see that. They introduce so much shit in just the first episode that I can't see all of those goofy plot threads coming to a satisfying conclusion. There's something to be said about focusing on a few plotlines instead of the, like... six that seem to be going on in that show.

Yup, that's pretty much the root issue right there

Plus, Ryan Murphy is kind of a hack

So a lot of the plotlines go like, full throttle all the time, no subtlety or slow build ever

Which tends to exasperate things

• Options

Yup, that's pretty much the root issue right there

Plus, Ryan Murphy is kind of a hack

So a lot of the plotlines go like, full throttle all the time, no subtlety or slow build ever

Which tends to exasperate things

I mean you can kinda tell from the very first scene

oh here's two shitty kids wrecking this house, I bet they're gonna die horribly

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed AHS S1, but S2 was glorious. The finale of S1 really was a bit disappointing, but it felt right? I can't explain it without spoilers, so I won't here.
    S2 was just pure WTF from start to finish, and while it didn't stick the landing, the performance throughout was so good that I can forgive that slight bounce on finish. Seriously, they have a side storyline so completely bonkers that they play as just so matter-of-fact that it worked in how much they didn't focus on it.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have been pleasantly surprised at how well B99 is keeping Holt fresh and entertaining. I was worried that he was gonna fall into a predictable "straightlaced monotone guy who occasionally surprises everyone by saying something waaaacckyyyyy" as his only gag.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I have been pleasantly surprised at how well B99 is keeping Holt fresh and entertaining. I was worried that he was gonna fall into a predictable "straightlaced monotone guy who occasionally surprises everyone by saying something waaaacckyyyyy" as his only gag.

Both Ben and Ron had different aspects of this and kept it funny for years on P&R.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Both Ben and Ron had different aspects of this and kept it funny for years on P&R.

I have no idea who those are or what that is.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    I really enjoyed AHS S1, but S2 was glorious. The finale of S1 really was a bit disappointing, but it felt right? I can't explain it without spoilers, so I won't here.
    S2 was just pure WTF from start to finish, and while it didn't stick the landing, the performance throughout was so good that I can forgive that slight bounce on finish. Seriously, they have a side storyline so completely bonkers that they play as just so matter-of-fact that it worked in how much they didn't focus on it.

Season 1 is the only one I still have any fondness for, although it really didn't stick the landing

Season 2 did way too many things, and half of the plotlines were really boring, at that

And then Season 3 was terrible, and I quit watching 2/3 of the way through

I haven't tried 4 or 5 yet, because apparently I don't hate myself that much

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Watch Parks And Recreation.

sig.gif
  • Options

One of these days I plan on giving it another shot. Too much other stuff to watch right now.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

What is... Every Ryan Murphy show ever?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Ryan Murphy strikes me as the type of creator that gets REALLY INTO his ideas and plotlines, like, energetic and with notebooks filled with lore and how everything links up

and then he burns himself out and moves on to something else before seeing anything through with the same energy

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    B99 and Parks are both from the same creators and both very similar in tone (good friends working together, overall positive and upbeat, etc.) so if you gave parks another shot you'd probably really like it. It really gets good around the time Rob Lowe and Adam Scott show up in season 2 and by mid season 3 it really hits its stride.

Binge it this summer!

• Options

Ryan Murphy strikes me as the type of creator that gets REALLY INTO his ideas and plotlines, like, energetic and with notebooks filled with lore and how everything links up

and then he burns himself out and moves on to something else before seeing anything through with the same energy

I have a tenuous friend of a friend connection to the guy, and from what they've said, that's kind of true

Essentially, he'll have a plotline in mind that he wants to tackle, and have that planned out from start to finish

Then he'll get really excited by an actor, or distracted by a minor thing, or whatever

And suddenly you have side plots spilling out of their planned length and minor characters becoming way more important than they were supposed to be and so on

• Options
    I'm trying to think of the plot stuff in AHS Season 1 Episode 1 that's come about so far:

1) Two dead kids, but the kids are assholes so they probably deserved it. Probably gonna haunt the dad or something.
    2) Jessica Lange and her daughter have more of a connection to the house than they implied!
    3) Sexy (to dudes) old lady (to women) maid is a ghost. Or a zombie. No, a ghost.
    4) Two gay dudes died in the house, they're probably haunting it.
    5) The mom had a miscarriage and the dad handled it in the scummiest way possible.
    6) The daughter's bullied at school and is making best buds with Columbine Kid Jr.
    7) Two-Face Wannabe smiled weirdly after he met with the dad so he's probably got some sinister intentions or something.

Things I noticed:

-The dad and daughter both wore the shittiest hats.
    -That dog's probably gonna die.
    -That dog's DEFINITELY gonna die.
    -Why would you throw out a perfectly good gimp suit, you could at least sell that shit.
    -I thought the weird erratic cutting in Columbine Kid Jr's first therapy scene was kinda neat at least.
    -Jessica Lange creeps me the f out.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The only Murphy show I ever made it through was Asylum, and that was cutting it close near the end.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    the only ryan murphy show i have affection for is popular. i really liked that damn show.

nip/tuck was good for a trashy hour here and there, but it really got under my skin in a bad way.

i watch an episode or two of every season of american horror story because i'm a fucking idiot who never learns his damn lesson.

then scream queens happened and it was almost cool. of course all good will was undone by that trash ending

popular, tho.

that's my jam.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck that Scream Queens ending.

I get sucked into every damn Ryan Murphy show and end up brutally disappointed.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok I folded. Started the 100. This show is CW as hell.

Who is this flounder faced motherfucker?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular

One of these days I plan on giving it another shot. Too much other stuff to watch right now.

If season 1 was the problem, skip season 1

As someone who did this, trust me, you won't regret it

• Options
    Bellamy's character arc is fantastic.

Also... Season 2 episode 11 spoiler.
    That scene where he killed Lovejoy was FUCKIN tense and really well done.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I'm having enough fun with it to keep going but yeah I can see people's problem with the character's written stupidity.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    The 100 is the only show I can think of where the plot kept me hooked in spite of the characters, rather than the other way around

There are a few of them that eventually get over being terrible, though

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I actually still have not watched the first season of American Horror Story, although I know a lot of the major plot points. Asylum is probably my favorite, even though it definitely suffers from just throwing a bunch of in. But Jessica Lange's arc was fantastic and also, Sister Mary Satan.

Coven is probably my least favorite. Some good stuff and awesome new cast members (Kathy Bates! Angela Bassett!) but overall it was kind of a mess and I feel like they missed the mark on whatever they were going for, including the racial stuff which I largely found super uncomfortable.

Freak Show is mixed for me. Jessica Lange is still great but her characters had gotten stale by this point, there's some more weird and problematic stuff, and the two episodes right before the finale have a huge focus on what is essentially a distraction. But Finn Wittrock as Dandy (and to a slightly lesser extent Frances Conroy as Dandy's mom) pretty much single-handedly elevates the season. It is legit one of the best performances and most entertaining characters in the whole series. There was also Twisty the Clown.

I'm not sure how to feel about Hotel. It was kind of a mess and had a lot of weird ill-advised stuff, but I feel like it actually had less random junk than most of the other seasons, and kind of told a more cohesive overall story (though one that takes a few episodes to really gel). The finale was actually oddly satisfying and even...kind of nice.

It also did something that I liked and was a little surprised by, which I'm going to put in spoiler tags just to be safe because the season just finished, but it's all vague character stuff. It features a trans woman (albeit one played, so far as I know, by a cis man, so it's understandable if others aren't exactly thrilled about it overall)
    who is probably the most likable and sympathetic character in the season. This is a character that you expect will never be anything more than a second- or third-tier supporting character, perhaps with a single episode spotlighting her before going back to the background. But instead the character actually becomes increasingly more prominent throughout the season and is one of the primary driving forces of the last few episodes. It's something I genuinely did not expect.

• Options
    The whole Mt Weather plot kind of bugs me though
    Like maybe if they spoke to the Sky People and explained the situation they could work something out. They could get cured without killing people. I know bone marrow extraction is extremely painful but I know I would volunteer to help in that situation. Give it a few years and they could all get immunized and nobody dies

• Options
    My desire to punch Bellamy and Flounder intensifies by the minute.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Woody Allen's Amazon series stars himself, Elaine May, and Miley Cyrus

No, really

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    My desire to punch Bellamy and Flounder intensifies by the minute.

Bellamy might have the most character development on the show.

• Options
    Well he needs to, because as of 3 episodes in he's the most generically stupid "rabble rabble down with the man no wait I'm the man" character ever.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Well he needs to, because as of 3 episodes in he's the most generically stupid "rabble rabble down with the man no wait I'm the man" character ever.

I hated him in the beginning too.

• Options
    Excellent I'll hang in and carry on

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yeah, he's really bad in the beginning. he definitely improves a lot. I think Clarke has the best development on the show, though

• Options
    yeah, he's really bad in the beginning. he definitely improves a lot. I think Clarke has the best development on the show, though

It's a tough call. They both change so much. I'm willing to admit it's a tie

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

I actually really enjoy Jasper's character arc. Almost finished with season 2 and he became pretty hardcore.

Speaking of which, at the end of season 2, about how much time has passed since the first episode? It seems like only a few months, but I could be wrong?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Bedigunz wrote: »

I actually really enjoy Jasper's character arc. Almost finished with season 2 and he became pretty hardcore.

Speaking of which, at the end of season 2, about how much time has passed since the first episode? It seems like only a few months, but I could be wrong?

I think it's less than a few months. It's probably a matter of weeks.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have to give the first season of AHS a lot of credit for
    Killing one of the main characters and then not bothering to tell you for like 3 episodes

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    finished Fargo season 1, fucking adored it

in my wildest dreams there'd be another classic 90's movie given the semi-canonical anthology TV prestige series treatment: Grosse Pointe Blank

Dimosar on
This discussion has been closed.