As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are urinals as bad as toilets?

2»

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Probably just a pulled muscle.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Either that or heart burn or something.

The place I was recommended is running my insurance so hopefully I will know today or tomorrow.

Feeling kind of paranoid right now, it is really hard to ignore.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Take some deep, slow breaths if you can.

You've done what you can for now. Try to find something engaging but meaningful to do. Do you have any hobbies?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Heartburn is different.

Also, what Morblitz said.

• Options
    I have a lot of hobbies, usually they are enough to distract me.

Got an appointment now. 23rd of this month, two days before my week long trip to Japan. They called and offered me an earlier appointment but it was during my work hours.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Make sure you have a few sturdy packs of pocket tissue with you in case you end up in a place with squat toilets and no TP.

• Options
    I have seen the therapist twice now. He has told me that he believes my main issues are OCD and anxiety problems though I already knew that. Also some depression but again I knew that. Kind of talked about my intrusive thoughts.

I really dislike that the therapist refers to my handwashing and other things I do constantly as rituals. Something about that feels negative. I also do not like how he constantly looked at the clock during our sessions.

I know I've only been twice but so far I am not confident that this therapist can help me without using medication since he has already brought up the idea of using medication.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ehm...

rituals is exactly what they are.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    "Ritual" is the universally accepted term for what you're doing and viewing them as a negative is the appropriate response. They're screwing up your life, after all. The other stuff may be an issue or it may not. If you haven't made it clear to your therapist that you want to try treatment without medication, do so. He should be willing to adapt his methods to suit your needs. Checking the clock constantly is lame, but not really worth dropping a therapist over without other problems.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    You could tell your therapist you dislike the clock checking. He may not even consciously realize he is doing it so often.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Like TychoCelchuuu said, it's not an action most people are aware they're doing.

You're focused on it because you're looking for a reason to find fault in his expertise or opinions.

However, nothing's requiring you to like this guy, sometimes some therapists just aren't good fits. I think you should give it a chance and not focus on how he's doing things like phrasing, or, checking the clock. Rather, focus on the 'what' and 'why' of a conversation.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, rituals are the commonly accepted term for what you do to satisfy a compulsive thought.

A couple of years ago I saw a show by Pelle Sandstrak, a Norwegian guy with severe Tourette's and OCD. Not the sweary kind of stereotyped Tourette's, but various body tics and sudden bursts of sound combined with compulsive thoughts.

An example of his brand of compulsive thoughts: if he stepped on a crack on the ground, his head would explode and his brain would shoot up into the sky and it might hit a plane that would cause it to crash, and then he'd have all those lives on his conscience. So clearly he couldn't step on a crack, ever, and that was his ritual for this particular thought.

That's clearly an outrageously silly thought - but it's just a matter of degrees on the scale of compulsive thoughts that demand to be satisfied by their rituals.

He's been in a short animated video about his compulsions. Can't post the video directly, but it's "Blame it on the Seagull" on this page.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I don't get the medication thing. No one goes in to see the doctor and goes "I don't like this hospital because they don't want to try curing my TB without antibiotics."

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yes they do. They do that all the time. With vaccines.

Anyway, that's off-topic.

OP: Just to echo what others are saying, it doesn't seem like this therapist is doing anything particularly egregious, and the fact that his diagnoses seem accurate should be a good sign as to his competence. That being said, you should feel comfortable bringing up anything you're saying to us here to him directly, such as his checking of the clock. If, after some time, you still don't feel like you are building a rapport, then you can certainly find someone else who might be a better fit. The important thing is that you recognize that this is a problem and that you are working with a medical professional.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Yeah i did not mean to be putting you down for reaching out.

What i was trying to say, is that if you had read some articles related to germaphobia and OCD, the term rituals would probably have been familiar.

So i might be wrong but i'm guessing you haven't yet?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Don't unfairly stigmatize medicine in your mind.

You have a problem and it seems to be damaging your life. Solving the problem through medicine will far, far less intrusive than living with it.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this will help, but it has been stated before. There are bacteria everywhere on and in your body; we have beneficial symbiotic relationships with these organisms. It is futile to purge yourself 24-7.

Not to suggest that you should not be hygenic, but our immune systems are more hardy than the general public gives them credit for.

• Options
    I know I haven't said anything in this thread for a long time but I really feel lost. I eventually stopped going to the therapist. The hours I had to be there ended up being really stressful and there were no better appointment times.

For a while things got better but in the last few months I have been feeling worse. Not just the germ stuff anymore. I've been having a I guess existential crisis for the last few months. I keep thinking about what happens after death.

I've never thought any specific things happen but I have always figured something does. Anything from reincarnation to a kind of heaven or even just being energy with a consciousness or maybe moving to a new dimension to live a new life.

Lately though I keep wondering if nothing happens and if existence just ends and that is it. Or if something does happen how long does it happen, will it eventually stop? Or is there a certain amount of time? What happens when the universe ends? It started small but it has become progressively worse. I think about it everyday now and it is affecting me in a major way. I have a hard time motivating myself to do anything besides laying around. If I am not actively watching something or playing something or just distracting myself the thoughts start up.

I just can't accept that existence just ends. I used to be sure something happens and now my constant paranoia and anxiety is causing these issues.

I am gonna see if I can find a new psychiatrist or therapist and see what happens. At this point I think the only option is medication. I know earlier I said I don't like taking medication but never elaborated on that. I don't like taking medication that affects the brain, I took ritalin for a long time and hated how it made me feel. But at this point I need all the help I can get. I can't stand feeling like this anymore.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey Stragint

It sounds like you're on the right track as far as going to a therapist or psychiatrist, and maybe even seeking medication to help manage your feelings. There's nothing wrong with taking medication that affects the brain, you shouldn't feel ashamed or wary of it. Millions of people use medication to get through the day, one way or another, and managing mental health issues shouldn't be an exception to this any more than medication for chronic pain management would be.

Unfortunately, we're not equipped to help you with serious mental health concerns on these forums. There are no professionals here, and even if there are they would be unwilling to provide diagnosis or help online. As such, I have to close this thread. Sorry, I hope you have better luck with your new doctor.

This discussion has been closed.