As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Eighth Republican Debate: It's just straight ethanol at this point.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Trump still being a whiny bitch about Iowa I love it

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wow

Trump literally just said "we will win".

It was a stirring anthem during the First Robotech War.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Carson is still there?

I feel like it's almost entirely out of spite for Cruz after what happened in Iowa.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wow

Trump literally just said "we will win".

It was a stirring anthem during the First Robotech War.

Trump's trying to save us from the upcoming Zentradi invasion.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    When people keep repeating
    That you'll never fall in love
    When everybody keeps retreating
    But you can't seem to get enough

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRNHgi1RzU

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/christie-rubio-scripted-abc-debate
    "Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Barack Obama is undertaking an effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world."

"Let's dispel with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He is trying to change this country."

"Here's the bottom line. This notion that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing—"

"Anyone who believes that Barack Obama isn't doing what he's doing on purpose doesn't understand what we're dealing with here, okay?"

Was Rubio just not given enough speaking time to hang himself with in the previous debates?

Couscous on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRNHgi1RzU

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/christie-rubio-scripted-abc-debate
    "Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Barack Obama is undertaking an effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world."

"Let's dispel with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He is trying to change this country."

"Here's the bottom line. This notion that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing—"

"Anyone who believes that Barack Obama isn't doing what he's doing on purpose doesn't understand what we're dealing with here, okay?"

Was Rubio just not given enough speaking time to hang himself with in the previous debates?

No one was after him then.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    How do you do "greatest nation" rankings?

Hammers and food, usually.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Everybody who missed the opening fuck up should really watch the video of it. It is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafScAiaC44

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Okay I can see why Carson just stood there but Trump?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

he probably figured it was a power move and adjusted tack to try to beat him at it

• Options
    JobsJobs Registered User regular
    By all rights Rubio's lead should fall apart after this, as ill-prepared as Trump would be in one on one debates with Sanders or Clinton, Rubio showed tonight he's far worse off. He looked pathetic and weak in a way Trump or even Cruz never have, which is basically the worst possible look for a presidential candidate in this climate.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2016
    Everybody who missed the opening fuck up should really watch the video of it. It is amazing.

This works way too well

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So much for the Rubio "surge". Everybody that said that now look like a bunch of idiots. He got slaughtered tonight, by Chris Christie, a man known by his creepy obsession with Hillary Clinton and always talking about MUH 9/11.

Besides that, this keeps the status quo aka Trump is probably winning NH. Nobody cares about Jeb! anymore and he managed to get that final shot at Cruz.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Why did Carson stand there?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    No changes for Cruz and Trump
    Kasich and Christie will but up but not enough to truly matter
    Rubio will lose all that momentum he got in Iwoa
    Jeb! will stay on life support till the last possible moment
    Carson will be forgotten

Imo, it looks like its down to Trump and Cruz

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

Why did Carson stand there?

Likely because he didn't hear his name called.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The funniest part is Jeb! just standing behind Trump and Carson...when he wasn't called yet.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So much for the Rubio "surge". Everybody that said that now look like a bunch of idiots. He got slaughtered tonight, by Chris Christie, a man known by his creepy obsession with Hillary Clinton and always talking about MUH 9/11.

Besides that, this keeps the status quo aka Trump is probably winning NH. Nobody cares about Jeb! anymore and he managed to get that final shot at Cruz.

Christie knows how to handle a political debate though, unlike Rubio. His previous strategy may have been ineffective and probably ill-considered (he wasn't gonna win any votes just talking about how great he was and not about how shit everyone else was) but I don't think it ever looked like he didn't know what he was doing up there.

Rubio though. I mean, I think anyone who has watched him enough was expecting this. The media painted a big target on his back with their coverage and he's never demonstrated any competence with the format or on his feet in general.

I was expecting Christie to go after him since that's what he's been doing the last few days and I was expecting it to work since Rubio is bad at this and Christie isn't.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah ABC like... did worse than I could imagine an actual news organization doing at this. The sound remained fucked for two hours!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Christie knows how to handle a political debate though, unlike Rubio. His previous strategy may have been ineffective and probably ill-considered (he wasn't gonna win any votes just talking about how great he was and not about how shit everyone else was) but I don't think it ever looked like he didn't know what he was doing up there.

Rubio though. I mean, I think anyone who has watched him enough was expecting this. The media painted a big target on his back with their coverage and he's never demonstrated any competence with the format or on his feet in general.

I was expecting Christie to go after him since that's what he's been doing the last few days and I was expecting it to work since Rubio is bad at this and Christie isn't.

Yeah, but the story is just how bad Rubio is at this. To circle back around to the EXACT same sound bite three times inside of 10 minutes is just insanity. Was he just not thinking?

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Drakeon wrote: »

Yeah, but the story is just how bad Rubio is at this. To circle back around to the EXACT same sound bite three times inside of 10 minutes is just insanity. Was he just not thinking?

He's just bad at this. He's always been bad at this. Have we forgotten his chugathon SOTU response? Everything else he's ever done? His obvious discomfort speaking in public?

The man has never displayed an ounce of composure or skill at this. Christie got him off his game and just kept hitting him and Rubio panics and just goes back to his training, which is a list of soundbites he's supposed to work into the conversation but instead he just repeats them mindlessly.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

After the second time he was probably like "don't say that again don't say that again" and then couldn't think of anything else to say.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I thought Trump did so badly that I honestly wonder if he was self-sabotaging but apparently I'm alone in this.

Rubio got called out on using canned lines and they really obviously used canned lines.

Cruz didn't blow it other than still being Cruz, but his defense in the Carson dropping out thing was a bit weak and was early

Christie may have gained some tough guy points but usually that doesn't help a whole lot.

Jeb and Kasich did fairly well, but Kasich is probably too reasonable sounding for the GOP.

I'd expect a flattening of the race which helps Trump overall because he's got the crazies

And Carson should probably just have not come on stage

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The funniest part is Jeb! just standing behind Trump and Carson...when he wasn't called yet.

The camera wasn't supposed to linger there pointing off-stage. Bush probably thought the camera was aimed at the podiums.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Marco Rubio is definitely human and not a political AI experiment that gained sentience.

• Options

Marco Rubio is definitely human and not a political AI experiment that gained sentience.

Roy Batty would have a better debate performance.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Roy Batty/Pris '16

roy3.jpg

darryl%2BHannah%2Bas%2Bpris.jpg

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I thought Trump did so badly that I honestly wonder if he was self-sabotaging but apparently I'm alone in this.

Rubio got called out on using canned lines and they really obviously used canned lines.

Cruz didn't blow it other than still being Cruz, but his defense in the Carson dropping out thing was a bit weak and was early

Christie may have gained some tough guy points but usually that doesn't help a whole lot.

Jeb and Kasich did fairly well, but Kasich is probably too reasonable sounding for the GOP.

I'd expect a flattening of the race which helps Trump overall because he's got the crazies

And Carson should probably just have not come on stage

I suspect Christie is pulling a Rubio on Rubio. Trying to be the backup when he implodes.

He knows Rubio is weak so he's gonna smack him down and show he's young and inexperienced and fragile, leaving himself as the obvious alternative since JEB! is a fucking disaster and no one gives a shit about Kasich. And, of course, the party already can't stand Trump/Cruz.

It worked tonight too though I suspect Rubio will not completely implode this easy so Christie is still fucked.

• Options

Roy Batty/Pris '16

Yeah, but I think one of them isn't a natural born replicant.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Furthermore, Marco Rubio is certainly not a political AI experiment that gained sentience.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    watching on youtube now

holy. shit. christie. Just. holy shit.

why am I rooting for you. stop making me root for you.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    watching on youtube now

If you think he's worth rooting for I have a bridge to sell you...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JobsJobs Registered User regular

And then a 4th time around 10-20 minutes after that. It was surreal.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    watching on youtube now

If you think he's worth rooting for I have a bridge to sell you...

in christie's case, it could also be a desperately needed railway tunnel.

rip arc.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Carson is on fire:

Praying on Twitter must be the most pretentious thing ever.

And you know directly frowned upon by the bible, Matthew 6: all of it. God damn do these people piss me off.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    watching on youtube now

It's super weird, because I can watch him destroy Rubio and think that he's the most likeable villain in this year's primary, and then I see a clip of him talking about how Planned Parenthood engages in 'the systematic murder of children in the womb' and I'm like whoooooooooops.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

It fucking hurt me to watch this even in part.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

It fucking hurt me to watch this even in part.

he gets motioned to go on stage and he still stands there.

This discussion has been closed.