Options

Scary games! Let's talk about them!

12346»

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As possibly the biggest Silent Hill 2 and Twin Peaks fan on these boards, I feel obligated to say that that looks like a pile of absolute shit.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited October 2007
    "Return to the Haunted Cathedral" in Thief: The Dark Project and "The Shalebridge Cradle" in Thief: Deadly Shadows are two of the scariest games related experiences I've had.

The first marine level of Aliens vs. Predator 2 also qualifies.

bongi on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Silent Hill seems to have the Lynch feel while doing it's own thing. This looks like they are just taking his stuff and making a game around it. (Also maybe Saw)
    Except that Silent Hill predates Saw and was much more inspired by Jacob's Ladder.

And Lynch's work is much, much subtler, less visceral and more psychological.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Would I still get a kick out of Thief 3 if I bought it off of steam and played it? The Shalebridge Cradle Orphan/Insane Asylum sounds really badass, but I never played a Thief game before.

McAllen on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Silent Hill 1 is definitely one of the scariest games I've ever played. The radio is basically like the motion tracker from Aliens, and everyone knows how effective that is when it comes to instilling pants-wetting fear. Fog and darkness are both used to great effect, and it's just a consistently creepy game that doesn't have to resort to scripted "boo!" moments to be scary.

As much as I adore the Resident Evil series, they aren't really scary. They are creepy at times, and have their share of "boo!" moments, but they're not Silent Hill scary. Oddly enough, RE4 is the least scary overall, but yet it has hands down the scariest moments in the main series (well, I didn't really play 3, but the Nemesis is supposedly pretty scary). Salazar's "right hand man" is just OMGWTFAHHRUN scary when you are fighting it for the first time, and the island has those walking teeth and claw dudes that require the thermal scope to kill. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), those areas don't last very long at all. I think most people find the original games scary because of the fixed camera angles and awkward (not that awkward imo) controls. REmake has that creepy girl thing, which looks like something straight out of Silent Hill.

Aliens vs. Predator 1/2 are only scary where the Marine campaigns are concerned. But oh boy are those ever scary. When I first played AvP, my brother was watching, and we both started squirming and yelling when I ran into the first alien. Definitely the most scary moment in a game ever, and I'll be completely honest and say that I never beat the Marine campaign because my nerves couldn't hack it. But the Predator and Alien campaigns were not scary at all. AvP2 wasn't quite as scary due to the NOLF/Cartoon textures, and I actually beat the Marine campaign. It was still pretty scary.

Of course the Cradle from T3 is wonderfully frightening.

My brother always talks about some scary level in Vamp:TM:B, but I never got very far in that game.

McAllen wrote: »
    Would I still get a kick out of Thief 3 if I bought it off of steam and played it? The Shalebridge Cradle Orphan/Insane Asylum sounds really badass, but I never played a Thief game before.

Thief 3 is a fantastic game that still looks pretty awesome and plays really well. Not everyone likes the stealth gameplay, but it's definitely my favorite of all the steath genre games and series. (Splinter Cell, Metal Gear...). It also has a really wonderful story told through incredibly stylish cutscenes.

Tzen on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You lose some of the story/universe by not having played prior Thief games, but it's definitely top of the line as far as stealth gameplay goes. I can't not recommend it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    You lose some of the story/universe by not having played prior Thief games, but it's definitely top of the line as far as stealth gameplay goes. I can't not recommend it.

Eh. I bought Thief when it was new but my computer couldn't run it at more than 5 FPS. By the time I got a new one I was LttP as far as both T1 and T2 were concerned. I only played a few levels of each because I couldn't get over the dated graphics.

I don't remember feeling like I was missing out on anything when I played T3. Basically, Garret is a cool dude who steals shit. There you go. In fact, it's not even technically called Thief 3; I think the entire game was named, designed, and written to appeal to new players.

Tzen on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Resident Evil 5 vs Silent Hill 5! FIGHT!!

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tzen wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Eh. I bought Thief when it was new but my computer couldn't run it at more than 5 FPS. By the time I got a new one I was LttP as far as both T1 and T2 were concerned. I only played a few levels of each because I couldn't get over the dated graphics.

I don't remember feeling like I was missing out on anything when I played T3. Basically, Garret is a cool dude who steals shit. There you go. In fact, it's not even technically called Thief 3; I think the entire game was named, designed, and written to appeal to new players.

That may be, but the story as a whole is built up through all the games. The Keepers, the Hammerites, the Pagans, etc. The whole mythology and consistency in the world is so rich that it'll be more rewarding if you've played the old games. I'm sure you'll be able to understand the story just fine, but the way the third game ties everything together is immensely satisfying as a fan of the series.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The smart money has to be on Capcom.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Thats just silly Resident Evil 4 sold more than the entire Silent Hill series combined.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    NarketNarket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Thats just silly Resident Evil 4 sold more than the entire Silent Hill series combined.

Yeah, but if we're going on the "scary" factor, I would have to say that Silent Hill wins easily. They just got to me more than RE. I actually had a nightmare that I woke up screaming from after watching my friend play SH. The scream was more from the fact of trying to make myself wake up, but still.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Narket wrote: »

Yeah, but if we're going on the "scary" factor, I would have to say that Silent Hill wins easily. They just got to me more than RE. I actually had a nightmare that I woke up screaming from after watching my friend play SH. The scream was more from the fact of trying to make myself wake up, but still.

Oh I agree, Resident Evil is more about game play than scares.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I totally agree with you on gameplay. RE has it, although I never finished any of them. I would get a ways into, and then just stop. RE4, I got to the very end of the first disk never picked it up again.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I totally agree with you on gameplay. RE has it, although I never finished any of them. I would get a ways into, and then just stop. RE4, I got to the very end of the first disk never picked it up again.

I think RE4 really hit it's stride on the Wii, it's one of the only times I think the waggle improved a port for the system.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I think RE4 really hit it's stride on the Wii, it's one of the only times I think the waggle improved a port for the system.

That's what I have heard, but I haven't had the chance to play it on the Wii. I just played it on GC, so it was the usual.

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This thread has been great so far.
    Alone in the Dark terrified me as a kid - took me ages to get over the chicken-monster bursting through the attic window. What scared me far worse was the run through the library - you had to find one book on a shelf while an unkillable spinning blob of evil chased you through the stacks.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero terrifies me still. There's something about the atmosphere that gets to me in a way that Resi never has. Especially some of the mythology behind the ghosts - after reading about the woman who jumped off the roof and broke her neck, I knew I'd encounter her, but nothing could prepare me for this crying lady with her neck totally snapped and head lolling all over the place chasing me around the garden.

Silent Hill 1 remains the scariest of the four, for me. The use of music and industrial noises has yet to be beaten. I don't know why everyone hates on SH4 though, the part where you return to your apartment halfway through the game totally destroyed my feelings of safety.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So.. scary games. I am such a wuss that I can't play them. I have watched my brother play the RE games, I have watched speed runs of SH3, I have tried to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R but really the only way I can get through playing one is with cheats to make me all super powerful. I'm honestly stuck in RE4 now because it's dark and I know the castle part is coming up soon and I just don't want to go any further.

Shit, even reading summaries of the SH games made me feel creeped out.

I hate this, because I am actually interested in these games and I want to play them, but I just freeze up.

I think seeing RE1 as a kid just scarred me. That first cinematic where the first zombie you find turns its head and looks at you... D: I always found that one scarier than the others because you were trapped in that freaky mansion. Something about being stuck in that one place instead of a whole city... and oh god the REmake D:

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Reznik wrote: »
    So.. scary games. I am such a wuss that I can't play them. I have watched my brother play the RE games, I have watched speed runs of SH3, I have tried to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R but really the only way I can get through playing one is with cheats to make me all super powerful. I'm honestly stuck in RE4 now because it's dark and I know the castle part is coming up soon and I just don't want to go any further.

Shit, even reading summaries of the SH games made me feel creeped out.

I hate this, because I am actually interested in these games and I want to play them, but I just freeze up.

I think seeing RE1 as a kid just scarred me. That first cinematic where the first zombie you find turns its head and looks at you... D: I always found that one scarier than the others because you were trapped in that freaky mansion. Something about being stuck in that one place instead of a whole city... and oh god the REmake D:

Same here, but i think to a lesser extent though because RE4 was never scary to me. Creepy sometimes (Regenerators, no thermal, "what is that, is it a soldier? wtFHOLYSHITITSBITINGMYNECK")
    I didn't make it very far in REmake, the part when you (5-10 mins and then 20 mins in)
    see the dead body by the stairs and then come back and its gone. that was the creepiest thing ive seen in a game other the HL barnacles. I hate barnacles

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whatever happened to Alan Wake? When is that due out?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Alan Wake? When is that due out?

I don't believe it was given a date yet.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Silent Hill is pretty scary.. but those zombie nurses are pretty hot though. I've wanked myself a couple of times while fighting those hot zombie nurses.

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A scare-wank? Guess it gets the blood pumping...

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never played the series, but apparently depending on how you view them, the Animal Crossing games are pretty creepy.

Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame's written review
    http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/reviews/animalcrossing.htm

A Let's Play Thread from Something Awful of the DS game (possibly NSFW ads)
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2666800

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hear so many good things about Thief 3 being scary. I will get it. It looks delicious.

What is this "not supported for laptops" thing, though?
    Yeah I know I ask this in two threads, but I wanna experience the Cradle.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I played it on a laptop no problem.

The only thing that really sucks fucking asshole about Thief 3 is the lack of widescreen support.

Tzen on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I think Silent Hill seems to have the Lynch feel while doing it's own thing. This looks like they are just taking his stuff and making a game around it. (Also maybe Saw)
    Except that Silent Hill predates Saw and was much more inspired by Jacob's Ladder.

I'm sorry, I've made a confusing statement.
    Silent Hill: Lynch :: Rainy Woods: Saw.

The statement was made "Rainy Woods" (or whatever its called) is like David Lynch. Then a Silent Hill - Lynch comparison was made. My point was that Rainy Woods looked like it was attempting to actually do the exact same things that Lynch has done (midget dream sequence in front of red velvet?) whereas Silent Hill was creepy and weird in a Lynch way (not necessarily derived from him) but had it's own ideas and concepts.
    Saw was thrown in because of the Rainy Woods trailer seeming to have a moment of puzzle ending in death.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

I'm sorry, I've made a confusing statement.
    Silent Hill: Lynch :: Rainy Woods: Saw.

The statement was made "Rainy Woods" (or whatever its called) is like David Lynch. Then a Silent Hill - Lynch comparison was made. My point was that Rainy Woods looked like it was attempting to actually do the exact same things that Lynch has done (midget dream sequence in front of red velvet?) whereas Silent Hill was creepy and weird in a Lynch way (not necessarily derived from him) but had it's own ideas and concepts.
    Saw was thrown in because of the Rainy Woods trailer seeming to have a moment of puzzle ending in death.
    Ah, right, fair enough, and I'd pretty much agree with you.
    Puzzle death long predates Saw, though. Go see The Abominable Doctor Phibes.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lynch's work is much, much subtler, less visceral and more psychological.

I'd agree... until Inland Empire. That thing was pretty much the closest Lynch has ever come to a horror movie, complete with a scary face suddenly showing up to a really loud musical cue.

sethsez on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's been established that Dead Rising is an action game, not a scary horror game, despite the great eerie music and some very well-done 'zombie movie' moments. But there I was gleefully hacking away at the undead masses, when the game drops a bombshell on me.
    Zombies and bees. Not just any bees. Goddamn wasps. D:

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    sethsez wrote: »
    Lynch's work is much, much subtler, less visceral and more psychological.

I'd agree... until Inland Empire. That thing was pretty much the closest Lynch has ever come to a horror movie, complete with a scary face suddenly showing up to a really loud musical cue.

Except that horror wasn't the point of Inland Empire at all. It was a deconstruction of filming treated as a linear narrative.
    Or something.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What was that Half Life 1 mod that was a take on the Vietnam War with zombies in the mix?

It had some cheap jokes scattered through out, but got progressively darker and more surreal, until the final act which became a giant macabre head trip and... man, I can't even put words to describe it all.

Heart of Evil?

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I was playing ES IV: Oblivion the other day, and going along with the post I made the other day, it would seem that anytime a game goes underground, I get nervous and jumpy. That was a really long run on sentence... Anyways, I guess I should say any 3D action/adventure/horror game does that to me. Of course I don't get jumpy when going into tunnels on Super Mario Bros. :P Back to Oblivion, I was in one of the caves fighting zombies, or vampires. I noticed that my heart would start beating really hard everytime I was sneaking around a corner to see what was on the other side. Then, a Timber Wolf came out of no where and made me jump, almost out of my chair!

Narket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]