As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting life back on track

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I know most of my posts here are about Computer stuff, but this is a little more serious.

So I kinda fucked my life up.

See, I went to my freshman year of college, and almost flunked out(damn you WoW) but I made it. Unfortunately My parents have a fucked up credit history, I have 0 credit history(more on that later). I can get like 2400 from the goernment and about 1500 from my dads work. I'm 20 now, I moved here to goto school but stayed when the school year was up beacause I fell in love(I know its over done, but I really do lvoe her) but that means paying roughly 350 a month for a place to live and utilities. I work full time about 30-40 hours a week at GameStop as a 3rd Key Manager(aka bitch) and get treaed like shit by my superiors, and I really hate it. I also work about 2 days a week at IHOP as a 3rd shift cook, thats about 12-20 hours a week. My average combined income from both is about 500 every 2 weeks. I also am trying to get caught up with my Credit card debt (about $900) and just overall live my life.

This is the hard part. I have to always be on call for GS, I go in pretty much 6 days a week for my like 32 hours beacause my boss is an ass, I'm tired of it I want a new job that I can use to get back on my feet, establish credit(I dun fucked it up with that credit card thing) and get my ass back in school. If I could get back into School, I could live in the dorms and pay no bills, that would rock. BUT that invloves getting money of some kind. I would assume that not living with my parents and being on my own would help me get somthing of some kind, but I haven't turned anything up.

For gettign a new job, I've tried Monster.com and Career Builder and such, but most of those are for people with experience and pay less then GS($8 an hour after 3 years)

Really I'm just looking for any advice in general on ways to improve my situation. My girl friend has been really understanding but shes almost at wits end with me being broke all the time and getting to see her 1 day a week. I don't want to lose her or end our relationship but the best solution I've come up with is to move back home with my Dad and work somewhere close to home and commute to school. Any advice would be appricated, thanks in advance.

P.S. Please forgive the sloppy arranging of this, I was typing as it came to mind so it's all jumbled up.

Bucketman on

• Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you sure you can't get more money from the government? I have to believe that with state and federal student loans you could get enough to pay tuition and rent. I know I do.

Retox on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    They say my parents make too much money. Of course now I live on my own and my parents are divorced but I assume they will say the same thing as I have yet to declare myself Financeally Independent(spelling and me arn't friends this early) beacause I use my dads Health Insurence

Bucketman on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Straight up you've got to get another job. I've never really been one to use websites to look for jobs but you can check the classifieds in your area, or just get out there and ask everywhere you go if they're hiring. I'd stay away from retail but just put your name in anywhere you can and really play up the customer service/managerial part of your job.

Maybe you can pick up some hours bussing at IHOP and parlay that into a job waiting tables and then you'll be much better off.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't knwo where you are, but look into demo/construction. Sure, it's a total bitch, but it pays well. Expect it to be the most physically demanding thing of your life, but you could easily net $25/hour. My friend is doing demo and currently making about $32/hour. For him it varies some by the job, however.

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't knwo where you are, but look into demo/construction. Sure, it's a total bitch, but it pays well. Expect it to be the most physically demanding thing of your life, but you could easily net $25/hour. My friend is doing demo and currently making about $32/hour. For him it varies some by the job, however.

I live now in Middle Indiana. Winters not as cold here as it was back home, but enough that I think most construction stops.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I know its a bad time politically, but you could join the military. If you are intelligent (which you seem to be) you can really choose yourself a job that will make sure you never see combat. Its kind of a shitty solution, but it would work. I went in right after highschool and didn't use it for anything good so now I'm 22 and pretty much in the same boat as you, heh.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I know its a bad time politically, but you could join the military. If you are intelligent (which you seem to be) you can really choose yourself a job that will make sure you never see combat. Its kind of a shitty solution, but it would work. I went in right after highschool and didn't use it for anything good so now I'm 22 and pretty much in the same boat as you, heh.

Actully tried that. I'm 320 lbs. Not huge but out of shape, I have asthma, basically I was denied. I just had a friend come back from his training for the Guard and he actully enjoyed it, but sadly I am uneligable.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Construction is good... TEMP construction/unskilled labor is better.

Get your name in with a company that will sub contract you out. Expect it to be hard and boring, but expect amazing money. Just remember that there are no promotions in the temp industry ;)

Living at home is an awesome deal if you can get along with your parents.

Move back home. Get a job laboring. Save money.

noobert on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you want a decent job, I highly suggest working for a grocery store. I know when I was working back stocking for frozen and dairy deparment, I was making 13 bucks a hour at the age of 16. Grocery stores have good pay, just need to have the right job in them. This is mainly due most of them being unionized.

precisionk on
  • Options
    MunroMunro Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    precisionk wrote:
    If you want a decent job, I highly suggest working for a grocery store. I know when I was working back stocking for frozen and dairy deparment, I was making 13 bucks a hour at the age of 16. Grocery stores have good pay, just need to have the right job in them. This is mainly due most of them being unionized.

I also live in middle Indiana and the unionized Kroger I worked at paid me $7.25/hr for the exact same job. I'm sure your management job at Gamestop pays better. Your first thing to do is to see where your money is going. You need food, sure, but do you need fast food? Do you need brand-name food? If you don't have cash the best thing to do is to start cutting corners and saving. As for your current job, tough it out. Management experience might be valuable later on and you said it yourself, there's no way you're going to get a better paying job with experience.

Munro on
  • Options
    WeeSneakWeeSneak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I dont know much about US customs with schools etc but im currently doing a second university course simply because if i do i get 1500 pounds (A little under 3000 dollars) every 3 months for free.

Not sure if this is up your alley but if you can do it, it makes life a whole lot simpler. 1500 is enough for both my isp and WOW bills for 3 months, i keep about 500 pounds to buy food with (stores own brand names! :D ) with the rest just money for pissing away.

WeeSneak on
    sigmh7.jpg
  • Options
    FoufouFoufou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I hope this will be okay for my first ever post.

I'm kinda in a similar situation with trying to get my money and life on track, and I live in Indiana (strange coincidence).

Living with my family since college graduation has been really helpful, if not ideal. I'm looking for a second job now to add a lil extra income. Something I'm also doing is reading "Your Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Its very helpful in helping you figure out where to start with saving money and elimating debt. The guy makes a lot of sense and I'll be starting the program soon. I'm learning to create a budget which will help when the extra income starts rolling in. Plus if you don't have that much debt to begin with it should take no time to get out of it with the system he proposes.

Sorry, not meaning to sound like a Dave Ramsey schill.

Foufou on
    90c5798e-8fde-44b6-986e-885940038fa1_zps2729e804.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bumped beacause I really need help. Is anyone perhaps knowlageable of FAFSA and how much they would give for living on my own but NOT being financeally independent with divorced parents? The main problem is my Mom has a drug problem, and before her and my dad split up (about a month ago) she completely destroyed his credit rateing, so we can't get any loans out. But if I don't declare myself independent I get to keep health insurance.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm in the same boat as far as living alone but being financially dependent. I had a steady office job for 3 years, was within two days of getting an apartment and a few weeks of buying a car, and they shitcanned me. In my case, I got an opportunity to get back into college under the Workforce Investment Act, and that pays about 3/4 of my tuition and the gas bill for commuting an hour every day to class, as well as part of my food bill. I don't know if you could take advantage of something like that, but if you find yourself without a job and with an insufficient education like I had, you could always go that route.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bucketman wrote:

I live now in Middle Indiana. Winters not as cold here as it was back home, but enough that I think most construction stops.
    Bullshit. I live in Michigan and know construction workers here that work year round.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey man tough luck. Hope to see that you get out of your situation. First off, moving out isn't going to help you as far as being associated with your parents financial income when applying for schools. Lots of schools and people that do loans for schools use your parents yearly income as a base for you until you are 23 years old or so. My advice to you would be this, get your priorities straight. You have a job now, but that shouldn't prevent you from looking for another. Don't say oh but I work how can I get out and look for a job? Monster.com man, put your info out on monster. Also your local classifides. Get out when you are not working and pound the pavement. Choose a day and tell your boss that you can not come in on that day. Use that day to go out and get apps in person.

You need to make sure your girl knows how you feel about her. Sit her down and let it out. Make sure she knows that she is still a very important part of your life and that you are trying to get things in order so that you can get back on track and spend more time with her again.

In regards to your debt. Tighten up that belt. Pay off your credit bills and don't mess around. You don't need to go out and spend money on things you don't need. Stay focused and you will see that the debt will go away quickly.

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yea, look up getting alternative school loans from a bank. Talk to the financial aid people at your school about it, too -- you should be able to get one, even if you/your parent's credit isn't that great -- school loans are usually designed with that in mind. This is how I paid my way through school :)

Herschel on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You should cheack if your town has any Temp Services like Manpower and the like (just about every town does). They get jobs in based on need and you might not get work every day but they've helped me find a job while Im looking so that I at least have some income.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    cocheseisdeadcocheseisdead Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just a quick word about temp services. Do not go to Labor Ready unless you are absolutely desperate. That company is notorious for underpaying its workers. Use anyone else.

cocheseisdead on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    picked up the classifies, several jobs in there. Of course none in the manual labor area, which I was hoping for. But I did find a bank looking for tellers, and TCS looking for "Material Handlers" whatever that means. Thanks for the tips.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The main problem I seem to be having with Monster and several of the Classifies is that most people (like facotories, banks, and construction) are looking for high end stuff, like Forman and Project Managers, with previous experience. Which I really don't have.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just a quick word about temp services. Do not go to Labor Ready unless you are absolutely desperate. That company is notorious for underpaying its workers. Use anyone else.

Manpower is pretty shitty too, despite being everywhere. I think a lot of companies realise theyre fucking the temps out of money and stopped using them. I know my company has, globally. The smaller agencies usually offer better jobs and better pay, you just need to sign up with a couple (2-5) to get any sort of consistent work.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Welcome to the Life track.

Nothing here happens instantly, you gotta grind for it.

Here is what you do -

First off, given your situation, you're toast on college for the next 3-4 years. Couple the almost flunking due to WoW with the fact that you wont go financially independant, you're looking at taking a break from it.

Once you turn 24, the gloves come off though, you'll be poor and financially independant, even if its just on the forms.

That gives you four years to get your shit together. Make a plan.
    1. New Job
    - You hate your job, and you arent being paid well enough for your time. Your gonna start working fulltime 40 hours a week and earn overtime now. Finding a fulltime job isnt hard - polish up the resume, put on the suit and tie, and go find a new job. The good news is that this will make your current job seem lighter because you know you're leaving it. Just smile and nod to yourself slowly everytime they drive you crazy. No reason to quit, just bid your time till you are outta there.
    Suggestion is to look for something in the 10.00 an hour range - they can usually be had for a song and dance in most areas and still wont require major certification or degree status.

2. Bills.
    - No bills is your new motto in life. Hate bills, learn to DISPISE them. Hate them with an unholy passion and pay everything off NOW. Stop kicking yourself in the ass for the credit card - 900 dollars isnt serious debt, but remember the motto - bills suck - pay it off Asap

3. Back to School
    Now we come to the finale. You have exactly 4 years to
    1. Pay off all bills
    2. Avoid acquiring new bills
    3. Getting ready to start school

Lets face it, unless you wanna be stuck where you are right now in an endless repeating loop for the next 30 years, your gonna have to get some kind of training under your belt. Plan what you wanna do in college ,and save for the next 4 years on it. Once you are 24, you are officially off the parents, and poor enough on your own to get additional aid.

Save every nickle. Before you order that pizza on a friday night, remember that cash is book money down the road. Live like a damn hobo if you have too, save save save.

You dont gotta go to college if you dont want, but get in SOME kind of certification or program.

You got 4 years, make them count.
    Tell those closest to you what your plan is..listen to advice, ignore criticism. The GF might not enjoy that you're broke/saving as much as she would if you were spending it all on her, but she'll know why you're doing it at least.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    if you have the people skills for it, waiting tables can be extremly lucrative. even at lower end of restaurants (TGIF, Red Robin, Ruby Tuesdays...) you can make ~15$ an hour in tips. if you can find your way into a little more upscale place, maybe seafood or steak, you can easily top 20$ an hour. i know some servers in middle-upper income restaurants that make 1-2k a week.

the thing about waiting tables is that its only lucrative if you enjoy it and have the right type of personality to deal with bitchy people sometimes hehe.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So, using Monsters resume builder I came up with this: Any tips/comments on how to make it better are appricated.
    (sorry about the terrible formatting, but I just copied/pasted from Monster)

Resume Title: Edit
    Young up-and-comer with retail and restaurant experience
    Public - This resume is searchable by employers.

Contact Info Edit
    (like I'm gonna give you all my contact info :-p)

Objective

Work Experience Edit BACK TO TOP
    Dates Employed Job Title Company
    8/2006 - Present 3rd shift Line Cook
    International House of Pancakes
    IN
    As a Line Cook, I prepare food for our customers and clean the food prep areas. Because I work third shift, I handle a high volume of orders with very few co-workers. I help keep the mood light and morale up, which helps us all get through the night.
    10/2003 - Present Third Key Manager
    GameStop
    /Indiana
    As Third Key Manager I do the same things a normal employee would do: selling the products, talking to customers, cleaning the store. I also do several of the things a manager would do: open and close the store, set goals for the staff, organize paperwork, and supervise the staff.
    7/2000 - 8/2005 Grill Cook / trainer
    McDonalds
    Crown Point/Indiana
    I worked on and off at McDonalds for most of my High School Education. Durring that time I work the grill area and eventully had the rank of Grill Trainer, which is basically a Grill Cook who trains new employees.

Education Edit BACK TO TOP
    Dates Attended School Degree Location
    8/2005 - 5/2006 Ball State University
    Some College Coursework Completed
    - Indiana - US

Affiliations Add BACK TO TOP

Skills Edit BACK TO TOP
    Skill Name Skill Level Last Used/Experience
    Computer Terminal Use Expert Currently used / 3 years
    Food Service Expert Currently used / 3 years
    Line Cooking Intermediate Currently used / 1 years
    Retail Sales Expert Currently used / 3 years
    Sales Floor Organization Expert Currently used / 3 years

Languages Edit BACK TO TOP
    Languages Proficiency Level
    English Fluent - Full Knowledge

Current Career Level:
    Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
    Years of relevant work experience:
    1+ to 2 Years
    Military Service:
    No
    Active Security Clearance:
    No

Target Job Edit BACK TO TOP
    Work Status: US - I am authorized to work in this country for any employer.
    Desired Type: Employee
    Desired Status: Full-time, Part-Time
    Desired Salary: 10.00 USD Per Hour
    Job Titles: Management - General, Management - Assistant
    Categories: Restaurant and Food Service, Retail/Wholesale
    Industries: Retail, Restaurants/Food and Drink Services
    Locations: US-Indiana, US-Indiana-Indianapolis
    Willing to relocate: No
    Willing to travel: Up to 25% travel

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I second the waiting tables job, or try and get a ine cook position and a better paying restaurant (I have no idea what IHOP pays, but usually the pricier the menu, the better payed the kitchen staff.) You have three years experiance in retail, which is simlar to waiting tables. (to this day I have no clue how anyone can stand to work a job where you deal with the public but don't get tips. The only reason I haven't physically assaulted certain customers is because of the extra four or five dollars they might give me.)

I would also check newspaper classifieds, every job I've had has come out of a paper, though I've looked online too. You also might try enrolling in community college instead of University, it's not glamourous but if you do well it's not hard to transfer to a four year and once you have a bachelors degree you only need to list the University on your resume.

How much is Gamestop paying you? Because the impression I always got from Employee's lounge was that they didn't pay that great.

Skwirl on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Although I don't have any solutions for the other problems, if you're looking into blue-collar work that has great pay, roofing is a solid choice. It's really not that difficult to learn, and your check doesn't get raped to hell by taxes (when you get paid five hundred dollars, that's all yours to keep).

Just start learning the basics and put a small advertisement for some minor roof/leak repair in the yellow pages and see what happens. I know this sounds like a pretty stupid idea, but I stopped thinking that after I was able to make a cool $200 after an hour of work in the shade. All I had to do was chaulk a chimney stack (the materials running me maybe 10-12 dollars), and then I got paid.

Just a suggestion.

Godfather on