As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Store PCs and their ridiculous internal layouts

tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
So today I decided my PC was finally in need of some new RAM, to help me play Hellgate London better. So I opened it up, after downloading a handy program I was referred to that let me check my RAM type, to check that I did indeed have he spare ram slots I thought I did. On opening it I realized I couldnt see any ram slots at all, so I nosed around with a flashlight. After a few minutes I realized that the system had been laid out so that the RAM slots were behind the hard drive mounting, to get to and change my RAM, I would need to unplug the disks and possibly remove the mounting for this external drive thing the computer came with.

This is quite absurd? Why have extra ram slots if you arrange the computer so they are innacessable! Its not like there aren't many oher layouts which would have left the RAM easy to access. If for some obscure reason I desired to get to all the printed circuitry and diodes on the motherboard I could access them easily.

Is this level of absurdity common? Or have I just been unfortunate.

I'm most irritated by this, I don't know whether or not I want to risk unplugging the hard disk drives! Thats a bit beyond what I do with my PCs. They usually just get new RAM every 12 months, new graphics card after 24 and then get replaced!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
tbloxham on

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    • Announcement
    • Index page subforum link
    • Subforum at the very top of G&T

Yet people are still posting technology threads outside of the subforum.

Is this absurdity common?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    In answer to your question, yes it is very common. Hardware manufacturers do this for a variety of reasons, mostly because they're dumb shits. I'm not sure if it's some kind of weird marketing move to scam people into paying for them to do the upgrades because they look so daunting, or if they really sell more PCs if they can squeeze them into a form factor that's 1" smaller than the next desktop over, but the layouts get extremely ridiculous.

However, unplugging the hard drives is a pretty trivial matter. It's just a hard drive. Make sure your computer is off (jesus christ I hope you turned it off before poking around inside it) and unplugged from the wall, then just remove the power and data cables. There is practically no way you can plug these back in wrong, they're keyed so you can't. Unscrew the sides, slide them out, put you RAM in, then hook them back up. You can't damage a hard drive by removing power to it, your computer does this every time it goes into sleep/hibernate/poweroff anyway.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, sorry. However now that technology is in a sub-forum it will mean no technology advice for anyone :( Games and Technology always used to be so useful for that. Hopefully it will be back to the old way soon :) (an edit -It would seem my fears here were groundless! As I already got some help :) )

addition - and I did unplug it first, I'm only vaguely incompetent in terms of PC innards. I usually have no problem with my annual RAM upgrade :) I also gave it a good vacuuming when I opened it, the way the fans are set up inside it had led to an enormous amount of dust build up! Its at least sounding much happier now that its fan isn't constantly on max

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I just gave you advice what are you even talking about

Monoxide on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've found it's a mixed bag... maybe manufacturer dependent once I think about it.
    We have a lot of gateways at work that tend to be pretty easy to work on.
    It's the home-geared brands with the extra fancy form-factors that are usually the problems. HP, Compaq, etc come to mind, seen a few Dells like this too. It's almost like the exterior design was a more important factor than the accessibility issue. Which, isn't really surprising if they are marketed to the general consumer.

Furthermore, I don't think you run a risk unplugging your harddrives. Just do the following:
    1) Ensure that the computer is NOT running; better yet, unplugged completely.
    2) Do this in a non-carpeted/static free environment. I usually do my computer work on the kitchen floor (linoleum), and bare-footed. Place your hand on the power supply before touching any other internal parts of the computer.
    3) If you are unsure about what cables do what. Mark them prior to unplugging, to ensure they will be replaced correctly.

If you feel really queasy about the whole ordeal... Offer your IT guy at work $50 to come do it for you; or, pay Best Buy (etc...) $100. Should only take about 15-20 minutes.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not JUST the prebuilt store PCs that can have funky and annoying internals. That sort of thing is unusual in DIY or white box PCs but it can happen. I've worked on machines of both types that had that exact problem. It happens a lot with smaller cases (for obvious reasons).

But the prebuilt machines do have issues like this more often, because the manufacturers know that most customers won't be installing more RAM themselves. So by that thinking, the extra slots are their for use at the time of building, not by the consumer. And then they know that for most folks who undertake a RAM upgrade, removing a drive or two isn't a big deal, so what's the harm?

Oh, and some builders, like Dell, use really weird internal layouts but also make the RAM easy to reach (like their old line of machines with RDRAM or whatever it was called)... so it can cut both ways.

Anyway, if you're replacing RAM and video cards, you should have no problem with disconnecting the drives temporarily. Just takes notes on which cables get plugged in where. There's no "risk" really... do a backup, unplug, make sure you're not in a dry/staticy room and touch the metal case or the PS before working on it. Same as you'd do if you were only touching the RAM.

Also... new RAM every 12 months? Why?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    I just gave you advice what are you even talking about

Sorry, I was being depressed for no reason, I posted my depressed post while you posted yours and so our wires were crossed. I apologize, for both that and my doubt in the new sub-forum. Many people seem to be more observant than I and have both found it and posted in it :)

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's not JUST the prebuilt store PCs that can have funky and annoying internals. That sort of thing is unusual in DIY or white box PCs but it can happen. I've worked on machines of both types that had that exact problem. It happens a lot with smaller cases (for obvious reasons).

But the prebuilt machines do have issues like this more often, because the manufacturers know that most customers won't be installing more RAM themselves. So by that thinking, the extra slots are their for use at the time of building, not by the consumer. And then they know that for most folks who undertake a RAM upgrade, removing a drive or two isn't a big deal, so what's the harm?

Oh, and some builders, like Dell, use really weird internal layouts but also make the RAM easy to reach (like their old line of machines with RDRAM or whatever it was called)... so it can cut both ways.

Anyway, if you're replacing RAM and video cards, you should have no problem with disconnecting the drives temporarily. Just takes notes on which cables get plugged in where. There's no "risk" really... do a backup, make sure you're not in a dry/staticy room and touch the metal case or the PS before working on it. Same as you'd do if you were only touching the RAM.

Also... new RAM every 12 months? Why?

Not new RAM, just more RAM. I find that after 12 months what was once a behemoth of a PC is starting to chug, and throwing more RAM in keeps it useful for very little money. Its usually also trivially easy.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Compaq usually has these really cool little plastic assemblies with flip-out drive bays and rotating power supplies and other wacky shit to make it easier for you (and their technicians) to do repairs and upgrades on them.

Unfortunately they come with little to no instruction or indication of what you're supposed to be doing exactly, so I usually just pull on stuff until one of them happens to pop open.

I don't recommend this.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think I'm going to follow peoples advice and just be bold and try to do it, I think I can get to it by just unplugging a couple of the wires if I angle the RAM chip right, and that will minimize the chances of me messing it up.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You want to talk about bad case design? The Dells my old work used to buy by the thousand had the hard drives below the PSU. As in, touching it. And they had really poor heat flow in the first place, so we used to have to replace hard drives easily 5 a week.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can point out that the mobo that i've got in the computer I just built isn't going to work in the case that I want to put it in. Seems that the video card is on the same level as the HDD's and the two of them together are about a quarter of an inch longer then the case.

Oh well, this is what happens when you're able to get multiple people building multiple items needed to work together.

Side Note: Who's in charge of the ATX standard?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This shit is what pushed me to build my own PC's. I think it's the path a lot of us take.

Lach on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I always play it safe and buy a nice big ATX case to build in. <3 Antec 1030s. Saves so much hassle. Every time I buy a smaller case I regret it to some extent. Forget RAM placement; stuff like cramming vid cards beside HDs or installing a decent HSF is more of a pain.

Many years ago my sister wanted a PC, and I built her one for her birthday in a rather nifty-looking purple case (with matching peripherals!). She loved it, and I'm still glad I did it for her, but good lord was it a nightmare to work in. Clearly all the effort had gone into the exterior design. The thing didn't even have rolled edges on the steel chassis!

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Is this level of absurdity common?

In older Dells, especially. I've seen old Gateway 2000 models that are also pretty wonky. Now, even though a lot of weird proprietary hardware is employed, brand-name computers are at least somewhat upgradable.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Really how silly is it? You crack open a case maybe once a year if that. Unless of course you're a hardcore PCer constantly swapping stuff round. If you do fall in the later category you've probably had enough experience with this to know to buy a case in which it is easy to chop and change.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just one thing, several people here have said that you should unplug the computer before doing work on it. From what I've read, don't do this. By leaving the power-cord plugged in to the wall, you ensure that the power-supply has a ground-connection, and that the chassis is also grounded. As people said, it is a good idea to touch the power-supply/any bare metal periodically when working on the inside of you computer to dis-charge yourself of static electricity. This will work better if the ground-connection is there, at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Oh, and another thing. Do not use an ordinary vacuum on the inside of your computer. The air-stream flowing into the nozzle will build up a lot of static electricity, and you might fry something.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Just one thing, several people here have said that you should unplug the computer before doing work on it. From what I've read, don't do this. By leaving the power-cord plugged in to the wall, you ensure that the power-supply has a ground-connection, and that the chassis is also grounded. As people said, it is a good idea to touch the power-supply/any bare metal periodically when working on the inside of you computer to dis-charge yourself of static electricity. This will work better if the ground-connection is there, at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Oh, and another thing. Do not use an ordinary vacuum on the inside of your computer. The air-stream flowing into the nozzle will build up a lot of static electricity, and you might fry something.

I believe you are technically correct about that. But I don't believe it's really necessary unless you are in a high-static-potential area. Even more important, you need to be VERY sure that no electricity is getting to the powersupply/motherboard, so the PS switch should be turned off, AND the power strip it's plugged into should be turned off too. You want it to be grounded but with NO power coming through the wires. To me, it's too easy to accidentally leave those switches on. And if you do leave the PS plugged in, I think you'd definitely want to be wearing a wrist strap connected to that (now-grounded) case or PS.

In normal practice, unplugging and touching the bare metal of the case (or touching grounded bare metal elsewhere) works fine.

And re: vacuums, I wouldn't put any sort of motorized device like that inside a PC case. The thought of sticking a vacuum (with or without bristles) inside a computer is kinda scary to me. Compressed air is the way to go; just mind the angle you're spraying at and don't freeze your fingers.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »
    So today I decided my PC was finally in need of some new RAM, to help me play Hellgate London better. So I opened it up, after downloading a handy program I was referred to that let me check my RAM type, to check that I did indeed have he spare ram slots I thought I did. On opening it I realized I couldnt see any ram slots at all, so I nosed around with a flashlight. After a few minutes I realized that the system had been laid out so that the RAM slots were behind the hard drive mounting, to get to and change my RAM, I would need to unplug the disks and possibly remove the mounting for this external drive thing the computer came with.

This is quite absurd? Why have extra ram slots if you arrange the computer so they are innacessable! Its not like there aren't many oher layouts which would have left the RAM easy to access. If for some obscure reason I desired to get to all the printed circuitry and diodes on the motherboard I could access them easily.

Is this level of absurdity common? Or have I just been unfortunate.

I'm most irritated by this, I don't know whether or not I want to risk unplugging the hard disk drives! Thats a bit beyond what I do with my PCs. They usually just get new RAM every 12 months, new graphics card after 24 and then get replaced!

In truth its a conspiracy operated by failing mega companies like sony and countries like china to make you cut yourself and throw computers away, so we can become less powerful

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

as a tech person, let me tell you, unplug the thing from the wall, period.

Just because power is off doesnt mean power is off, there is still potential for any capacitors to hold a charge, it's best to unplug it, listen for that slight discharging sound and keep your hand on the metal frame as you work, or use a grounding strap of some kind.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wait... no, thinking about it, I maintain that you should leave the cord plugged in, but like HarshLanguage said, if you are afraid of getting shocked by all means turn the switch off. But, there should not any risk of coming into contact with anything that has mains power on it. Unless you stick a screwdriver into the ventilation slots on the powersupply or something stupid like that you should be ok. And also, if I remember correcly, those capacitors you are talking about could possibly hold their charge for several hours, perhaps days even.... but like I said, any dangerous components should be deep inside the PSU, and if the PSU is so messed up that the case of the PSU itself is conducting mains electricity you have bigger problems since that means your whole case is dangerous to touch. Here is a page on general PC-building, it is a bit old but it is still a good read. The column of the right has info about static precations.
    http://www.dansdata.com/buildpc.htm

Anyway, this is something I would not worry to much about. Just do not work in a high static area and you should be ok, I don't think I've ever managed to fry a component...

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wait... no, thinking about it, I maintain that you should leave the cord plugged in, but like HarshLanguage said, if you are afraid of getting shocked by all means turn the switch off. But, there should not any risk of coming into contact with anything that has mains power on it. Unless you stick a screwdriver into the ventilation slots on the powersupply or something stupid like that you should be ok. And also, if I remember correcly, those capacitors you are talking about could possibly hold their charge for several hours, perhaps days even.... but like I said, any dangerous components should be deep inside the PSU, and if the PSU is so messed up that the case of the PSU itself is conducting mains electricity you have bigger problems since that means your whole case is dangerous to touch. Here is a page on general PC-building, it is a bit old but it is still a good read. The column of the right has info about static precations.

Anyway, this is something I would not worry to much about. Just do not work in a high static area and you should be ok, I don't think I've ever managed to fry a component...

no. unplug it.

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jlrx wrote: »

no. unplug it.

Agreed. Please, please, don't leave your computer plugged in while you work on it.

It is so much safer for you and your components to buy a simple grounding strap, attach one end to your wrist, and another end to an unpainted metal part of your case.

Oh, and don't let other people/pets into the area you are working in. I've had my long hair cat fry a cpu before D:

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I might be wrong about leaving the computer plugged in, but I'd like to hear the motivation why you should unplug it. I'm just curious here, everything I've read about this subject written by people who seem to know what they are talking about indicates that case should be grounded, and the easiest way to do this is simply leaving it plugged in. And out of curiosity, what good will it do connecting a grounding strap to the case if the case itself is not grounded?

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Because the case was grounded before you unplugged the thing, and unless you zap the case with an absolutely ridiculous amount of static charge, it's still going to be a reliable discharge point.

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jlrx wrote: »

no. unplug it.

Yes.

Leaving your computer plugged in while working on it is a great way to get an excuse to buy a new computer ;-)

Evander on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unplug it. Just take your socks off, your wool sweater off, and touch a faucet before getting to work. Faucets are grounded

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I might be wrong about leaving the computer plugged in, but I'd like to hear the motivation why you should unplug it. I'm just curious here, everything I've read about this subject written by people who seem to know what they are talking about indicates that case should be grounded, and the easiest way to do this is simply leaving it plugged in. And out of curiosity, what good will it do connecting a grounding strap to the case if the case itself is not grounded?

If you are really concerned about grounding the case, plugging it in might be "easiest", but it is horribly dangerous for OTHER reasons. Find a different way to ground the case.

Generally, though, you can consider your case to already be grounded (unless, as has been said, you are in an environment where you know that isn't the case) and you should use the case to ground yourself, either through direct physical contact, or through a grounding strap.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, but why is it dangerous to leave it plugged in? I must be missing something here, because the I do not see the danger. The high voltage part of the PSU is isolated as long as it is working properly, so that can't be it can it? Is there some technical reason I don't know about?

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, but why is it dangerous to leave it plugged in? I must be missing something here, because the I do not see the danger. The high voltage part of the PSU is isolated as long as it is working properly, so that can't be it can it? Is there some technical reason I don't know about?

Because if you forget to actually hit the physical switch on the PSU (assuming it even has one!), then even if the computer is technically "powered off" there's still power going to the motherboard.

ACPI, Wake-on-LAN, and any number of other minor things depend on some parts of the board getting power when "off".

Daedalus on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Only real dangerous shock you're going to get will come directly from inside the power supply where the AC current still is rumbling around. The 12V DC power shock from the mobo or anything won't really phase you. But, the way I see it, there's no reason to leave it plugged in.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, that makes sense, I figured it was something like that but I've never really thought about it.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, that makes sense, I figured it was something like that but I've never really thought about it.

The best advice I can give, before you start futzing around inside of expensive hardware, and playing with electricity, is think about it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I've never really thought about what problems could arise in depth. I'm aware that some circuits are always powered on the motherboard, but I had read in several sources that you should leave the computer plugged in when working on it, and it made sense to me. Actually, are you saying that leaving it plugged in when for example changing a memory module is equivalent to doing a hot-swap? I would have thought that when the computer is powered of, no power is going to the memory and cpu-socket? Isn't the various wake-on-lan etc. functions handled by a separate sub-system? If this is not the case, I should consider myself lucky that I have not fried anything by now.... well, the more you know....

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I've never really thought about what problems could arise in depth. I'm aware that some circuits are always powered on the motherboard, but I had read in several sources that you should leave the computer plugged in when working on it, and it made sense to me. Actually, are you saying that leaving it plugged in when for example changing a memory module is equivalent to doing a hot-swap? I would have thought that when the computer is powered of, no power is going to the memory and cpu-socket? Isn't the various wake-on-lan etc. functions handled by a separate sub-system? If this is not the case, I should consider myself lucky that I have not fried anything by now.... well, the more you know....

I think it is a sort of thing where one COULD do stuff in an open case while it is plugged in, but it is much safer to just leave it plugged in, if only as a precaution and old wives tale. In either case, unplugging it causes zero harm, so why not unplug?

The Listener on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I think it is a sort of thing where one COULD do stuff in an open case while it is plugged in, but it is much safer to just leave it plugged in, if only as a precaution and old wives tale. In either case, unplugging it causes zero harm, so why not unplug?

I actually google'd this subject a bit after I wrote my reply last night. It seems that opinions vary on whether it helps to have the PC plugged in to ground it. So my reply stands: leaving it plugged in but off is probably technically OK, maybe even technically better, but it could VERY easily turn NOT OK. And we don't want to be NOT OK when working with our expensive PC stuff. (Apparently the risk of bodily harm is very low either way, unless you go licking the power supply.)

So while there's not a lot of authoritative info on these ESD issues, there IS a great deal of anecdotal info saying that unplugging is plenty safe as long as you're not in a high-static situation. So: unplug it.

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wouldn't some of this fall under common sense? I guess some people must learn from experience. (That’s if they live from it)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wouldn't some of this fall under common sense? I guess some people must learn from experience. (That’s if they live from it)

The funny thing is that I've found that common sense regarding electricity is quite often wrong...generally wrong on the safe side of things (so not a bad thing), but wrong. And as HarshLanguage said, it's not so much an issue of bodily injury, but rather damage to parts...which should be eliminated if the power supply is switched off.

I'd still agree that it's best to keep it unplugged just to reduce the risk of forgetting and frying something, and if you're that concerned about grounding do it another way. It's not hard.

mcdermott on