As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lifelike Android By Boston Dynamics, Visions Of The Future

BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito EnthusiastPSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY&feature=youtu.be

Is it just me, or is this humanoid robot, due to its lifelike movements, beginning to seem like an actual lifeform?

Is this coming to grips with its environments, the forces of gravity, momentum, and whatnot - its struggle for equilibrium - in some minor way already giving it a life of its own? Is what I'm looking at here not like seeing the most basic cognitive activity in our own brains? The one that governs involuntary things like heartbeat and breath and equilibrium? Seeing it struggle is almost enough to attribute life to this machination. Enough so to make me feel for it, when that bearded dude goes and harasses it with a stick.

I can't wait for androids to take over our place in all of industry, so that I can languish by the poolside, sipping on fruit smoothies made by sentient shapely blenders clad in skimpy bikinis, made with fruit grown by robot farmers in khaki shirts and overall pants chewing on tobacco, delivered by robot truckers finding sexual relief and companionship in the arms of robot lot lizards at robot truckstops. And so forth.

To become industrially obsolete. There isn't a more human pursuit than that. Thank you Boston Dynamics, for soon you'll put an end to Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times, the nightmare we find ourselves trapped in. I think with my new found economic freedom, I might become an old school cobbler, just for fuck's sake - literally. Everybody loves a good shoe.

BranniganSepp on

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    It must be so fascinating to work on something like this. You made something that can stand up and walk out the door you enter through every day.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    @tynic

Also fuck yee robits.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I wonder how they decided who got to be the goose with the sticks.

Because he's first up when the robot revolt begins.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @tynic

Also fuck yee robits.

Hello.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Don't worry, tynic was complaining about Windows 8 development yesterday. The robot revolution is still a long way from now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

Is it just me, or is this humanoid robot, due to its lifelike movements, beginning to seem like an actual lifeform?

Is this coming to grips with its environments, the forces of gravity, momentum, and whatnot - its struggle for equilibrium - in some minor way already giving it a life of its own? Is what I'm looking at here not like seeing the most basic cognitive activity in our own brains? The one that governs involuntary things like heartbeat and breath and equilibrium? Seeing it struggle is almost enough to attribute life to this machination. Enough so to make me feel for it, when that bearded dude goes and harasses it with a stick.

I can't wait for androids to take over our place in all of industry, so that I can languish by the poolside, sipping on fruit smoothies made by sentient shapely blenders clad in skimpy bikinis, made with fruit grown by robot farmers in khaki shirts and overall pants chewing on tobacco, delivered by robot truckers finding sexual relief and companionship in the arms of robot lot lizards at robot truckstops. And so forth.

To become industrially obsolete. There isn't a more human pursuit than that. Thank you Boston Dynamics, for soon you'll put an end to Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times, the nightmare we find ourselves trapped in. I think with my new found economic freedom, I might become an old school cobbler, just for fuck's sake - literally. Everybody loves a good shoe.

Or you'll starve to death in the streets as society refuses to acknowledge that economies based on the scarcity of human labor are no longer tenable and an increasingly larger proportion of society is converted into a disenfranchised underclass that occasionally gets massacred by drones when they attempt to rise up

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'd say Eat at Arby's but you won't be able to afford to

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I was waiting for it to turn around and go after the guy who pushed it down

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Or you'll starve to death in the streets as society refuses to acknowledge that economies based on the scarcity of human labor are no longer tenable and an increasingly larger proportion of society is converted into a disenfranchised underclass that occasionally gets massacred by drones when they attempt to rise up

I guess what country/culture one comes from really colors one's perspective. Most European countries will probably just tax the shit out of robot labor, and provide an unconditional basic income to its citizens.

It's not like providing an unconditional basic icome is politically feasible right now, unless my compatriots suprise me in the upcoming election about replacing all state welfare by an unconditional basic income, but given a much higher percentage of automated labor, and much fewer overall full-time jobs? A very likely scenario for the relatively near future? It certainly will be possible. Given such circumstances, unconditional basic income will definitely pass the direct election stage in Switzerland. Direct (pure) democracy certainly has its upsides. Actually, given a decent average education of the overall populus, it's got tons of upsides. That said, the Swiss people have failed to legalize cannabis three times already. Go figure.

Old outdated ideas die hard. Often, they literally need killing. Unless of course, one has the patience and time to wait until they die out on their own time.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Don't worry, tynic was complaining about Windows 8 development yesterday. The robot revolution is still a long way from now.

To be fair, that was for a short range depth sensor for sub-mm applications. There's plenty of longer range ones that run just fine off Linux. As does atlas.

Basically if we accidentally dystopia, blame Linus torvald.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Yeah, but, can I fuck it?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Are we working on shoggoths yet or is that more of a chemistry thing

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Kadith wrote: »
    Yeah, but, can I fuck it?

I got news for you, we are pretty much there...

-NSFW youtube video-

Just needs some responsive-to-tactile-inputs android innards, some body-warmth-simulating heating elements, automatic-lubrication systems, and you'd be good to go. Just pray the battery doesn't blow up while you're "plugged" in.

Also - if that thing just showed up in the mail, I'd definitely have my way with it.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    What if the battery blowing up is what I want? It would help me get over my insecurity if the robot wasn't faking it.

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    What if the battery blowing up is what I want? It would help me get over my insecurity if the robot wasn't faking it.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bhWKBp1AY

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I can't watch that, I'm in class. def saving it for a more nsfw environment.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    They need to stop making videos like this. When some crazy AI comes online in the future and sees this kind of shit we're fucked.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    As cool as that is and all, I sometimes wonder why they'd bother building a bipedal robot.

Four legs are better than two.

Six legs are even better.

Eight-legged spider robots that can think and plan is basically the ideal, is what I'm saying.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    As cool as that is and all, I sometimes wonder why they'd bother building a bipedal robot.

Eight-legged spider robots that can think and plan is basically the ideal, is what I'm saying.

I can give you a lot of answers, but the short version is you're right, the rationale is far more psychological than practical, but the things we learn just by trying to do the bipedal stuff are invaluable.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    can the robot castrate me to save the world's oceans

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Don't fuck robots.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Don't fuck, robots.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I can give you a lot of answers, but the short version is you're right, the rationale is far more psychological than practical, but the things we learn just by trying to do the bipedal stuff are invaluable.

Well, there are some benefits to walking upright for biological creatures. Energy efficiency possibly, freedom to use your hands enabling tool use, being able to see things further away with less obstructions.

Robots aren't subject to the same sort of limitations, so you could just engineer it more arms and a camera on a stick. But yeah, that freaks people out.

That thread was hilarious.

Robots are reaching jellyfish level. They can generally interact with the environment, sort of. They still have a very difficult time learning things, or doing anything except highly specialized tasks. I think our robotic replacement is still a long way off.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Don't. Fuck robots.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I'm not watching that NSFW video

but

fuck all the robots

if they give consent

can robots give consent yet??

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    It must be so fascinating to work on something like this. You made something that can stand up and walk out the door you enter through every day.
    it behaves the same way people do when i enter the room! how lifelike

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Kadith wrote: »
    I'm not watching that NSFW video

but

fuck all the robots

if they give consent

can robots give consent yet??

Considering they can't have what could properly be considered a thought...

Also, wouldn't you feel a little weird about having manufactured something that consents. You've literally manufactured consent then. If you create a thing that wants something to happen to it, and then you do that thing, can it really be said to have consented? It had no other option, you made it that way.

Or does this imply that robots have parents, and as long as you don't bang your own robots then you are fine.

Strange thoughts...

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The easy way to decide all of this is to not engage in sex with robots.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If you can't have sex with robots then what is even the point?

RT800 on
  • Options
    The easy way to decide all of this is to not engage in sex with robots.

It's the future man. Aliens and robots. Get on board!

Hasn't mankind always looked up to the stars, dreamt of the future, and thought... "I'd hit it".

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Look folks, sex machines exist

I mean look at me 8-)

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JebusUD wrote: »

Well, there are some benefits to walking upright for biological creatures. Energy efficiency possibly,

hell no!

edit: well actually sort of yes, sometimes, but also no. There are bipedal configurations which led themselves to relatively efficient energy cycling, but they tend to be strongly linked to physical characteristics humans don't have (the high-weight distribution --> inverted pendulum action on birds, or a similar use of tail weight and balance as a rocking spring in kangaroos and some other marsupials). It would be an incredibly difficult challenge to normalise energy expenditure so it could be compared cross-species, but I'd be surprised if there was an inherent advantage overall. Certainly the human configuration is sub-optimal, although we have also evolved characteristics that offset what would otherwise be an extraordinarily tiring raw balance algorithm. But there's a reason we don't sleep on our feet.
    freedom to use your hands enabling tool use, being able to see things further away with less obstructions.
    Equally viable options for part-time quadrupeds, especially ones without the limitations of evolved spines
    Robots aren't subject to the same sort of limitations, so you could just engineer it more arms and a camera on a stick. But yeah, that freaks people out.

Ok, so the longer answer for why engineer bipeds is entirely dependent on purpose. There is a comfort argument to using bipeds in close proximity to humans, but realistically that's an excessively expensive option that violates the 1:many principle of high-cost technological development. There are strong entertainment reasons to develop bipeds, however the only reason to use bipedal war-bots is precisely in order to freak people out. (The DARPA challenge prioritises 'rescue'-type scenarios, but note that the best performing robots from these have to-date always been part-time bipeds, which are physically more stable).
    Robots are reaching jellyfish level. They can generally interact with the environment, sort of. They still have a very difficult time learning things, or doing anything except highly specialized tasks. I think our robotic replacement is still a long way off.

no comment :winky:

tynic on
  • Options

Well, there are some benefits to walking upright for biological creatures. Energy efficiency possibly,

hell no!
    freedom to use your hands enabling tool use, being able to see things further away with less obstructions.
    Equally viable options for part-time quadrupeds, especially ones without the limitations of evolved spines

Ok, so the longer answer for why engineer bipeds is entirely dependent on purpose. There is a comfort argument to using bipeds in close proximity to humans, but realistically that's an excessively expensive option that violates the 1:many principle of high-cost technological development. There are strong entertainment reasons to develop bipeds, however the only reason to use bipedal war-bots is precisely in order to freak people out. (The DARPA challenge prioritises 'rescue'-type scenarios, but note that the best performing robots from these have to-date always been part-time bipeds, which are physically more stable).

See, you say hell no, but there is some evidence that upright walkers are more energy efficient than knuckle walkers. Refer to the article below.

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070716/full/news070716-2.html

I have no idea if such a concept would apply to a robot, as robots are powered in a vastly different manner than biological creatures. But it is a widely accepted as a possible reason for why it evolved.

• Options

Well, there are some benefits to walking upright for biological creatures. Energy efficiency possibly, freedom to use your hands enabling tool use, being able to see things further away with less obstructions.

Self driving cars are pretty much here and work

So that right there knocks out all trucking and taxi jobs

Make a self driving car small and stick a forklift on it and goodbye warehouse and dockworker type jobs

Construction and mining jobs aren't gonna be far behind

Etc

• Options
    edited February 2016

hell no!

See, you say hell no, but there is some evidence that upright walkers are more energy efficient than knuckle walkers. Refer to the article below.

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070716/full/news070716-2.html

I have no idea if such a concept would apply to a robot, as robots are powered in a vastly different manner than biological creatures. But it is a widely accepted as a possible reason for why it evolved.

That's pretty cool! Mind you all it really shows is that chimps aren't necessarily well adapted to either quad-walking or bipedal walking (they're less good at the latter than us). But thinking about it more, the act of being able to keep half your body still while moving probably does confer an energy saving advantage. I'd say youre likely on to something when it comes to long-distance running, too- it seems like one of our few physical advantages over a lot of the animal kingdom is stamina. I guess I was thinking of stable and slow cases, where we definitely expend more energy staying upright than is really warranted. But for fast continual movement even humans do have an inverted pendulum dynamic so yeah, fair call.

Edit: as to applying to robots, we're kind of in the too-soon-to-tell phase. We don't quite have the technical abilities to mimic a lot of biodynamic phenomena so there's all sorts of power-weight-range limitations to contend with, otoh we're developing new actuation methods incredibly quickly so the best methods from an energy perspective depend a lot on what you start with and what you can afford.

tynic on
  • Options

Make a self driving car small and stick a forklift on it and goodbye warehouse and dockworker type jobs

Etc

I certainly agree that there is a rapidly approaching labor problem, in that robots are replacing jobs. But I think it will be a slower slide towards a robotic future, than "10 years from now" replacement.

But they still can't do everything, and they still can't replace us in everything. Bender bending Rodriguez isn't happening soon. A more niche replacement will happen. A self driving car. A robot miner. Sure, those things are being done. But a robot won't put down the mining pick and then drive you home in your car.

• Options

Etc

I certainly agree that there is a rapidly approaching labor problem, in that robots are replacing jobs. But I think it will be a slower slide towards a robotic future, than "10 years from now" replacement.

But they still can't do everything, and they still can't replace us in everything. Bender bending Rodriguez isn't happening soon. A more niche replacement will happen. A self driving car. A robot miner. Sure, those things are being done. But a robot won't put down the mining pick and then drive you home in your car.

I don't know that that type of versatility is all that necessary though

Like what would be the benefit of a robot that can both drive a car and mine coal

Two separate robots for those functions would probably be easier to build, program, and maintain

• Options
    Our labour problem due to robot replacement is already here, it just only continues to escalate

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Many developing countries will definitely lose their key market advantage. Cheap human labor will soon be more expensive than automated labor in many industries. For example, the textile industry will very likely bring back more and more jobs from developing countries, only it's jobs for robots first and foremost. Plus I guess a handful of robotics and software engineers and whatnot. Probably trading 500 cheap labor jobs in developing countries for about 10 high paying jobs in industrialized countries.

Of course I pulled those specific numbers out of my ass, but I guess the gist of it is about right. I'm sure you get the idea. From a selfish point of view, at least it's a net win for the part of the world I live in.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Well except for the disenfranchised middle and lower class who have even less employment opportunities than now

liEt3nH.png