Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Bottom left is wrong/impossible.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Bottom left is wrong/impossible.

Oh, yup! I was blinded by the time I finished doing them and knew I was going to leave an error somewhere. :/

Edit: that's how I have it written down in my notes too so either it was actually an impossible puzzle (I feel like it wouldn't generate one of those) or that 1 in the corner isn't supposed to be there because yeah, that makes it impossible.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Watching Day 9 try to get the symmetry puzzle by the town was the most painful thing ever. He figures out some of the more difficult puzzles (and the game in general, judging by how fast he got 10 lasers) surprisingly quickly, and then he just goes completely braindead on this relatively easy puzzle. He even lines it up correctly then spends 10 minutes doing inexplicably dumb things with it. It's baffling.

forty on
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    Watching Day 9 try to get the symmetry puzzle by the town was the most painful thing ever. He figures out some of the more difficult puzzles (and the game in general, judging by how fast he got 10 lasers) surprisingly quickly, and then he just goes completely braindead on this relatively easy puzzle. He even lines it up correctly then spends 10 minutes doing inexplicably dumb things with it. It's baffling.
    And then the shadow puzzle afterward. Holy shit. He figured out the shadow forest pretty easily, and yet struggled with this one. Meanwhile I had to cheat to beat one of the forest puzzles and smoked this one with ease.

• Options
    And then the shadow puzzle afterward. Holy shit. He figured out the shadow forest pretty easily, and yet struggled with this one. Meanwhile I had to cheat to beat one of the forest puzzles and smoked this one with ease.
    A few minutes later...
    Misses a huge gaping hole in the wall. This guy.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Actually had the same thing happen to me, here. Did the forest relatively easy and then bricked on the town shadow puzzle (mostly because I had just done the swamp and other areas and didn't have the shadow mechanics in mind at all).

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    If you solved the jungle puzzles and then found the creepy tree, then you should have found what the jungle puzzles did.

Hmm. Maybe I just didn't see it in its original state, then, whatever "it" was.

I'm assuming the 'jungle' puzzles were all coloured in camouflage?

Yes. Those, and the ones
    under the hidden panel by the big tree.

I don't mind not knowing what changed; I'm just taking the game world as it is.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Regarding the "authentic" quote, it was part of a larger conversation about how games are never about what they say they're about, because the story and themes aren't tied into the gameplay enough. I'm probably butchering this, but whatever.

LIke, Gears of War says it's about saving the world from an army of subterranian monsters; but it's really about shooting things from behind chest-high walls. Nothing about that mechanic is closely tied to the supposed theme of the game; you could (and the industry did) replace those enemies and the story with a zillion others while keeping the mechanics the same.

Meanwhile, the Witness is a game about drawing line puzzles where you draw line puzzles.

Personally I think this take is irrelevant at best and hot bullshit at worst, but whatever.

I think it's a interesting and valid critique but when you couch it in terms that make you come off like the biggest douchebag in the world you kind of destroy everyone's ability to actually discuss the topic instead of discussing what a douchebag you are

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just started playing this today, got a few of the areas clear. I really like the puzzles, haven't felt as good playing a game in a long time as I had when I figured out what the yellow squares meant.

My only complaint so far is that the audio clips are excruciating. I never thought that i'd be bored by
    Richard Feynman
    , but apparently all it takes is someone who isn't him interminably going through one of his speeches. It is beyond my capability to pay attention to them when they are playing. It's the worst. I honestly have no idea what the theme of the game is despite having found about six of them plus three of the
    video clips
    . Every five seconds as they are playing I completely forget what they have just said, it just goes straight through.

At least I like the puzzles.

Aistan on
  • Options
    I have also heard Blow say he considers games like CoD and whatnot "fine" since they're just doing their thing. He just doesn't consider them interesting. That doesn't strike me as an unreasonable position.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Just started playing this today, got a few of the areas clear. I really like the puzzles, haven't felt as good playing a game in a long time as I had when I figured out what the yellow squares meant.

My only complaint so far is that the audio clips are excruciating. I never thought that i'd be bored by
    Richard Feynman
    , but apparently all it takes is someone who isn't him interminably going through one of his speeches. It is beyond my capability to pay attention to them when they are playing. It's the worst. I honestly have no idea what the theme of the game is despite having found about six of them plus three of the
    video clips
    . Every five seconds as they are playing I completely forget what they have just said, it just goes straight through.

At least I like the puzzles.
    This was how I felt with those clips playing. It was so hard to try to actively listen and process them with most of them being read in a "look how dramatic I am" voice and cadence.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I find it disappointing how Feynmann and Burke sounded much more interesting than the professional voice actors.
    But, in their defence, the actors were more interesting than Spira and Gangaji.
    EDIT: to clarify, unlike some comments I've read, I do not consider her message crazy or bullshit. It's just presented in the most excruciatingly annoying way.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Did he go back and do the tutorials for the outline symmetry puzzles? He missed them when doing the other ones.

broken image link
  • Options
    Did he go back and do the tutorials for the outline symmetry puzzles? He missed them when doing the other ones.
    Oh, did he not do the originals? That would make a difference, I suppose. Still, the way he started applying the correct logic then inexplicably changed it halfway through was just... baffling.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    I find it disappointing how Feynmann and Burke sounded much more interesting than the professional voice actors.
    But, in their defence, the actors were more interesting than Spira and Gangaji.
    EDIT: to clarify, unlike some comments I've read, I do not consider her message crazy or bullshit. It's just presented in the most excruciatingly annoying way.

Well Richard Feynman was one of the most interesting people who ever lived, so it's a tough ask for anyone to draw attention more than him. Even if they are reading his words.

I think i've done the main tasks in all the areas, I guess I could beat the game now if I wanted? I haven't checked yet.

Too busy finding all these other things, which are almost more interesting than the main puzzles.

Fuck this candle bullshit, by the way. It's like that entire thing was made just to piss me off.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Regarding the "authentic" quote, it was part of a larger conversation about how games are never about what they say they're about, because the story and themes aren't tied into the gameplay enough. I'm probably butchering this, but whatever.

LIke, Gears of War says it's about saving the world from an army of subterranian monsters; but it's really about shooting things from behind chest-high walls. Nothing about that mechanic is closely tied to the supposed theme of the game; you could (and the industry did) replace those enemies and the story with a zillion others while keeping the mechanics the same.

Meanwhile, the Witness is a game about drawing line puzzles where you draw line puzzles.

Personally I think this take is irrelevant at best and hot bullshit at worst, but whatever.

I think it's a interesting and valid critique but when you couch it in terms that make you come off like the biggest douchebag in the world you kind of destroy everyone's ability to actually discuss the topic instead of discussing what a douchebag you are
    The problem for me is not the criticism itself so much as the idea that his is the first game to address it and become "Authentic"

Somebody could probably build an extensive list, but for a recent semi-popular release, Papers Please comes to mind

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Did he actually say his game is the first or only to address it? Or is that just a misquote/misinterpretation? I'd like to see the original conversation.

forty on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bomb-presents-a-chat-with-jonathan-blow/1600-1397/

Austin is pretty easy on him and walks him down from Authenticity to Honesty, (And in fairness, the idea that his is the first or only game to do this is not specifically called out) but he starts the whole thing with talking about how movies do the same thing which is almost more gag inducing to me

His argument in many ways is more about disdain for conventional narrative structure which is not very endearing, because i don't think he broke free of those structures at all, but convinced himself that he did

He calls out "artsy" type films as negative examples when that is kind of exactly what he made

And that isn't actually bad! It's just that no, you did exactly that thing you said you weren't going to do

God i feel like i'm completely failing to convey this idea but that's kind of what happens when you deal with a recursive argument about authenticity/honesty

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned if he keeps making games this good he can be as pretentious as he wants to be.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned if he keeps making games this good he can be as pretentious as he wants to be.

i'd rather he wasn't but yeah basically

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I mean there's a big difference between being kind of full of yourself and being actually problematic like so many devs out there.

If we ignored every creator with an overinflated sense of self worth we would consume virtually no media.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I would very much love to have a drink and chat with Jonathan blow

Dude seems pretty cool imo

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    My progress:
    523+130+4 probably gonna do all the remaining obelisks tomorrow... or not.

• Options
    Mayday, I'm a little curious how you (or anyone else in a similar situation) figured out where your last few missing panels were. In a game with over 500 to solve, I know if I were 3 short of having all of them I would probably just not bother.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mayday, I'm a little curious how you (or anyone else in a similar situation) figured out where your last few missing panels were. In a game with over 500 to solve, I know if I were 3 short of having all of them I would probably just not bother.

I just looked up the lodations in a guide online after I beat the challenge. My fun with the game was solving puzzles, not wandering around until I stumble accross random panels.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Just beat it.

*shrug*

It was technically an ending, I guess? I mean the game did stop.

Final stats:
    440 solved, +90. I think I ended up finding four of the videos as well, but I have the symbol for a fifth I need to plug in.

I guess i'll go back and see if I can get the rest of the things. Not expecting any huge revelations though.

E:

I just beat
    The challenge, and got
    the final video clip.

Then I saw what I had to do with it.

FUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU Jonathan Blow.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited February 2016

@forty Hard to tell really. All the normal panels were just there, usually in plain sight. The only ones you need to actively search for are the triangle ones, and the game tells you where the unsolved ones are.

@Aistan Here's a huge tip if you want to save yourself some hassle (but you might want to try and think of it yourself?)
    enter the symbol again to play at high speed

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2016

forty Hard to tell really. All the normal panels were just there, usually in plain sight. The only ones you need to actively search for are the triangle ones, and the game tells you where the unsolved ones are.

Aistan Here's a huge tip if you want to save yourself some hassle (but you might want to try and think of it yourself?)

I wouldn't have thought of it, no. I was resigned to just waiting, even took a shower but that only knocked off 20 minutes. Thanks.

E: That... doesn't work? All it did was start it over with no changes.

Aistan on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

forty Hard to tell really. All the normal panels were just there, usually in plain sight. The only ones you need to actively search for are the triangle ones, and the game tells you where the unsolved ones are.

Aistan Here's a huge tip if you want to save yourself some hassle (but you might want to try and think of it yourself?)

I wouldn't have thought of it, no. I was resigned to just waiting, even took a shower but that only knocked off 20 minutes. Thanks.

E: That... doesn't work? All it did was start it over with no changes.

I think he means
    you can use the panels with the symbols pre-marked on them to "fast-forward" to a specific point in the video.

I think that's what he's talking about.

• Options
    Hmmmm, okay, apparently I've been lied to! You do need to go through the whole thing. Sorry! :/

• Options
    It's alright, I can listen to The Adventure Zone while I wait. It would be super out of character for Blow to put a shortcut into these stupid sections he loves.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I mean, I think the whole thing is worth listening to.

Unless you've heard it before, in which case yeah, just go do something else for a while.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Meanwhile:
    523 +135 +6 woooo. I'm taking a break for some time, I'll be coming back to hunt for the remaining audio recordings... I've missed LOTS of them - three in the mountain, and those are the most interesting!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    jaziek wrote: »

Unless you've heard it before, in which case yeah, just go do something else for a while.

None of those are worth listening to or watching, nor are the audio logs.

Just shy of an hour. At least he's slowly pulling back from his 2 hour long nonsense in Braid.

E: I just listened to the spoilercast with Austin Walker about it and it was pretty neat hearing his perspective. Him being a person who appreciated the content of some of the audio logs and the videos on their own but disagreed with their placement within the game itself and/or the message that it seemed like they were being used to tell. Since after a point I just stopped listening to them altogether that was cool to hear.

Now i'm watching the Giant Bomb video of Blow talking with Jeff and Brad and it is incredibly interesting, almost entirely because so far they are only talking about the puzzles. The methodology behind them, how he thought up the ideas, what the intent was with their placement and such.

I kind of wish that the game hadn't had any of the audio logs in it or obscure ending stuff. Just make a cool puzzle game, dude, you don't need to have it have a greater meaning.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    EDIT: nvm.

Mayday on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

Just shy of an hour. At least he's slowly pulling back from his 2 hour long nonsense in Braid.

I mean, it's not going to blow your mind or anything, but the psalm 46 talk is great on it's own, and in the context of the witness gives a lot of insight into Jonathan Blow's design decisions. I can think of worse ways to spend an hour.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Looks like I remembered wrong.

forty on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

E: I just listened to the spoilercast with Austin Walker about it and it was pretty neat hearing his perspective. Him being a person who appreciated the content of some of the audio logs and the videos on their own but disagreed with their placement within the game itself and/or the message that it seemed like they were being used to tell. Since after a point I just stopped listening to them altogether that was cool to hear.

Now i'm watching the Giant Bomb video of Blow talking with Jeff and Brad and it is incredibly interesting, almost entirely because so far they are only talking about the puzzles. The methodology behind them, how he thought up the ideas, what the intent was with their placement and such.

I kind of wish that the game hadn't had any of the audio logs in it or obscure ending stuff. Just make a cool puzzle game, dude, you don't need to have it have a greater meaning.

I mean, he specifically says that for him, that stuff was a fundamental reason for him making this game. If you didn't enjoy that stuff, that's fine. But I think we already have plenty of games that don't try to have any greater meaning - I am 100% onboard with people trying to do something more, even if they don't succeed in everyone's eyes. I didn't love some of that stuff myself, but I would have liked this game drastically less if he hadn't gone for it.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I've been pretty disappointed by Austin's thoughts on the supposed grand message of the game, and listening to this spoilercast isn't helping

His starting point seems to be the same as mine, specifically the notion that the game is trying to present ways of reading some of life's mysteries. Where we immediately differ is I don't think Blow is trying to suggest an ultimate answer to everything (and I think it's oddly spurious of Austin to bring up issues such as starvation in that context)

What I took away from the audio logs and videos was simply them being impressions from multiple sources. Musings from various times and places around the world, presentations of what meaning can be in different contexts or what have you. The way it fit for me was that it showed a diverse way of approaching the world, much like you are allowed to do in the game

I could see my view being considered shallow, I suppose. Regardless, I think Austin's view is presumptuous and considering how many of the logs would be so obviously contradictory to one another if suggesting one true solution was the intent, I feel genuinely surprised at how strongly Austin hammers that point

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one not hearing all these pretentious or self-aggrandizing things Blow supposedly says, and so far every time I have been pointed to examples it has been misquotes or what to me just seems like flippant conclusions

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    I've been pretty disappointed by Austin's thoughts on the supposed grand message of the game, and listening to this spoilercast isn't helping

His starting point seems to be the same as mine, specifically the notion that the game is trying to present ways of reading some of life's mysteries. Where we immediately differ is I don't think Blow is trying to suggest an ultimate answer to everything (and I think it's oddly spurious of Austin to bring up issues such as starvation in that context)

What I took away from the audio logs and videos was simply them being impressions from multiple sources. Musings from various times and places around the world, presentations of what meaning can be in different contexts or what have you. The way it fit for me was that it showed a diverse way of approaching the world, much like you are allowed to do in the game

I could see my view being considered shallow, I suppose. Regardless, I think Austin's view is presumptuous and considering how many of the logs would be so obviously contradictory to one another if suggesting one true solution was the intent, I feel genuinely surprised at how strongly Austin hammers that point

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one not hearing all these pretentious or self-aggrandizing things Blow supposedly says, and so far every time I have been pointed to examples it has been misquotes or what to me just seems like flippant conclusions

Yeah I heard Austin's vague comments about his feelings before actually playing the game, and when I did and start getting a sense of what he was talking about, I just did not get that feeling at all. While there are some parallels between one of the characters and Blow himself, it seems like Austin is attributing a lot of that character's thoughts and opinions to Blow himself, and it just seemed kind of odd.

Speaking of which, where are you guys getting/seeing this spoilercast? Poking around the site I don't see anything...