As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hellgate: London † Go Post In The Other Thread

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Started messing with this a bit the past few days.
    I like the gameplay, running around as a marksmen has been fun.
    I dont think I've ever felt like complaining about a games fonts before though. The whole quest hub UI and npc interaction just tends to be really fugly. The voice clips they've got attached to some of the npcs when you talk to them to grab a quest just dont seem to mesh well.
    But it's a good side game for me to mess around with when I'm not up to much else.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, Guardian advise?
    Septus wrote: »
    Shield turn, it seems that this knocks every enemy back as well as stunning them briefly. This seems like it'd be a big annoyance with anchor, as it'd put the enemies out of range a large amount of time. When shield turn boosts the strength of status effects, what is this based off of, the elemental damage on the shield only?

How great or useful is anchor? I would think that challenge would be an absolute requirement so that you make sure the mobs are coming to you.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hexcore wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    This has been bugging the hell out of me, as well. I can hardly understand what some skills do. People were talking up ricochet and slamming tactical stance, but when I look at the actual descriptions, its hard as hell to figure out what they each do.

And on that note, why the hell can't I use Beacon while in Tactical Stance? That shit needs to go in the skill descriptions. (Popping Beacon and then TS works just fine.)

Beacon Does work with Tac stance, I use it all the time. Whats happening when you use it?

I think he's talking about how using Beacon while in Tac Stance cancels Tac Stance.

shryke on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote:
    Shield turn, it seems that this knocks every enemy back as well as stunning them briefly. This seems like it'd be a big annoyance with anchor, as it'd put the enemies out of range a large amount of time. When shield turn boosts the strength of status effects, what is this based off of, the elemental damage on the shield only?

How great or useful is anchor? I would think that challenge would be an absolute requirement so that you make sure the mobs are coming to you.

Level 27 Guardian here.

Not sure what you mean about the knockback on shield turn. I've got my shield turn at level 3 and it doesn't seem to knockback foes by a noticeable amount (unless they're dead in which case it knocks back their corpses with a bit of a ragdoll effect). As far as the boost on the elemental damage, I believe its based off of the elemental damage on the equipped shield, based on the fact that with my physical damage shield, I haven't yet succeeded in phasing any enemies I've struck with it in the last 5 levels. The boost to stun however, seems to work independently of the shield.

As far as anchor goes, I know some guardians I've talked to swear by it. Personally, speaking I haven't put points into either anchor nor challenge since I wanted to try a fairly mobile, defensive build. That may change when I start my experiments with shield wall, but so far I've been able to get by just fine without anchor. You are correct in that anchor is pretty much designed to work best with challenge, otherwise alot of ranged mobs will just stay out of your swinging range. I do wish it had a different swinging animation though (or that I had a decent spear to use with it).

Operative21 on
  • Options
    HexcoreHexcore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Maybe I am misremembering but I cant think of this happening to me(aside from when I run out of power ). My normal route of attack is to go to tac stance draw a bead pop beacon and bring the target down then pop it on the next in the group thats running me down...... Or I am high and will look like a fool. I will test it after I get out of the office.

Hexcore on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yay end of act two and got a legendary rocker launcher.

the pieces will fly......

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Three other bits of guardian advice I can offer to anyone who's developing a guardian.

First is with regards to using shield turn. In my own experience thus far, I've found shield turn invaluable not so much for its ability to do damage, but as a tool for mitigating incoming damage. The stun effect on shield turn is quite powerful, and more importantly quite consistent. As a guardian who's build is very much centered around aura of renewal, it's a great tool for buying you time to heal when you're being swarmed. I've also found that alot of times, its stun will affect boss mobs that shrug off the normal shield bashes.

Second, shield charge works really really well for targetting those annoying ranged mobs, or buffing mobs that tend to sit back behind a wall of minions and try to pick you off from a distance. The thing to realize is that shield charge is not affected by any intervening obstacles. Its effectively a line of sight teleport that terminates with a powerful shield bash. The only limitations are properly reticle targetting the mob you wanna hit, and the distance to the target. As long as you're within range, you can initiate shield charge and instantly be where you wanna be. Wanna pick off that annoying gremlin diabolist but don't wanna run around the big group of imps in your way? Hit shield charge and render his face flat like a pancake! Note that shield charge does require a target in order to execute - it cannot be used without a target in your reticle.

Finally, make sure you don't ignore your stun and shock resistances, especially getting towards the later levels. Thus far, I've found that the game really likes piling mobs that use both attack types on you, usually in overwhelming quantities. With the guardian's formidable healing and damage absorption, both poison and phasing are relatively easy to deal with. Being in a shocked state however, renders you incapable of using any of your skills, and stun renders you just plain helpless. Neither of which are ideal states for a guardian (ie. Not being able to spam healing prayer or shield turn), and hence should be avoided.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    I think he's talking about how using Beacon while in Tac Stance cancels Tac Stance.

No, I'm talking about beacon being greyed (well, red'd) out when in TS. I can't use it.

Echo on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So if I upgrade to a subscriber account, will my characters be transferred over, or will I have to start over?
    You keep your characters. Your account name and stuff doesn't actually change, you just get subscriber "status".

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What the hell, they removed Holloway's voice acting? :x :x :x

Echo on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i found a orange summoner gun! 2 to some sort of lash spell that i dont have yet. Does decent damage too

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    Agent OrangeAgent Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ranx wrote: »
    So I mean, how is this game? It was being hyped up to be amazing for so long, and now its only getting middling reviews. People who have played, is this game that great?

My feeling is that most of the reviews I've read are actually being generous. As the game currently stands, I'd consider it to be solidly below average, and verging on just plain bad.

Given that this game makes little pretense of straying far from the gameplay model established by Diablo (which I enjoyed well enough for a few playthroughs, though I was hardly a fanatic), I was amazed at how much of it felt poorly thought-out, shallow, badly executed, and flat-out amateurish. Considering the supposed pedigree of Flagship and the development time, I was expecting a product with much more polish and depth.

Here are a few specific complaints:
    1. There is little palpable sense of progression to the game environments. The majority of the game takes place in rubble-strewn streets and subway tunnels, as well as base hubs and hell rifts that are visually indistinguishable from one another. Aside from a few set-piece environments, were it not for the chapter transitions I would be hard-pressed to say where one act ended and the next began. The result, in my experience, was a monotonous slog that felt like I was getting nowhere.
    2. The environments themselves are barren in a manner that goes far beyond the post-apocalyptic aesthetic. In the many years since Diablo 2, apparently ideas for interacting with the environment have not progressed beyond crates and exploding barrels. There are no people or even bodies to be found in the streets of the devastated city. There are no shops or diverse buildings to enter (there is, for example, exactly ONE house model to explore that is repeated endlessly. Literally, that's it.) or interesting locations to explore, aside from the occasional hidden passage or hell rift which are themselves entirely homogenous. Basically, I had the feeling of crawling through the streets of a movie set, surrounded by empty plywood facades.
    3. The dramatic, post-apocalyptic world they have advertised is completely undermined by the non-stop, intrusive attempts at "zany" humor by a large percentage of the NPCs. The quests become an endless series of irrelevant pop-culture references and lame, out-of-place jokes that ruin any sense of immersion in the game world. Comic relief should be exactly that: an occasional break from otherwise serious events. When virtually every character is an obnoxious clown or a babbling moron, though, I'm really left without any desire to help them. Imagine if they made Aliens where every character was like Hudson. That's pretty much Hellgate: London. Basically, the NPCs do for this game what Jar Jar Binks did for Episode 1.
    4. I have only played the blademaster class, so I can't speak first-hand about the others. However, in my experience the skills, as others have noted, are boring, shallow, and provide no visceral impact during combat. There's no re-speccing, either, so if you want to experiment with different builds you're forced to start an entirely new character.
    5. The documentation is terribly lacking. This issue takes on particular importance when the function of some skills is not even clear.
    6. Inventory management is extremely intrusive, and breaks the pace of the game. If you intend on picking up most of the items you find, be prepared either to spend a significant amount of time managing your inventory, or to teleport back to base every couple of minutes. Backpack space and storage space are terribly limited, and they actually have the nerve to place extra space among the features available to subscribers.
    7. The game feels just plain sloppy and untested, overall. It is, for example, very easy to become stuck in the level geometry in certain areas with no apparent way to escape.

I haven't played multiplayer, so I can't say how much that would add to the experience. Personally, I was left with little inclination to retread a game that felt so tedious and lifeless to me the first time through. I will say that it ran reasonably well on my system that was not far above the minimum requirements after the first patch, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not trying to troll or rain on anyone's parade here, but honestly, if I had played the single-player game without having heard any of the pre-release hype, I could easily have mistaken it for a $25 bargain bin title.

Agent Orange on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    I've added the method to get a preorder code to the OP.

I know this is several pages later, but...is it possible to get a preorder code AFTER you've already registered your actual game?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    I've added the method to get a preorder code to the OP.

I know this is several pages later, but...is it possible to get a preorder code AFTER you've already registered your actual game?

Yes, if you use the method in the OP.

Invisible on
  • Options
    HexcoreHexcore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Echo wrote: »

No, I'm talking about beacon being greyed (well, red'd) out when in TS. I can't use it.

Yeah thats not kosher. The only time it should red out is if you are hit with a status effect, or are out of energy. You have said you can pop it and then go into tac so Eng should not be a issue. Maybe is a Variant of the Overshield bug? Do all your skills Red out when into tac or just Beacon?

Hexcore on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    To be honest... the wasp dye kit is pretty damn fugly.

Echo on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    to be honest you are pretty damn fugly

(diss)

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    exist wrote: »
    to be honest you are pretty damn fugly

(diss)

Have you tried increasing texture size?

Echo on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I mean, how is this game? It was being hyped up to be amazing for so long, and now its only getting middling reviews. People who have played, is this game that great?

My feeling is that most of the reviews I've read are actually being generous. As the game currently stands, I'd consider it to be solidly below average, and verging on just plain bad.

Given that this game makes little pretense of straying far from the gameplay model established by Diablo (which I enjoyed well enough for a few playthroughs, though I was hardly a fanatic), I was amazed at how much of it felt poorly thought-out, shallow, badly executed, and flat-out amateurish. Considering the supposed pedigree of Flagship and the development time, I was expecting a product with much more polish and depth.

Here are a few specific complaints:
    1. There is little palpable sense of progression to the game environments. The majority of the game takes place in rubble-strewn streets and subway tunnels, as well as base hubs and hell rifts that are visually indistinguishable from one another. Aside from a few set-piece environments, were it not for the chapter transitions I would be hard-pressed to say where one act ended and the next began. The result, in my experience, was a monotonous slog that felt like I was getting nowhere.
    2. The environments themselves are barren in a manner that goes far beyond the post-apocalyptic aesthetic. In the many years since Diablo 2, apparently ideas for interacting with the environment have not progressed beyond crates and exploding barrels. There are no people or even bodies to be found in the streets of the devastated city. There are no shops or diverse buildings to enter (there is, for example, exactly ONE house model to explore that is repeated endlessly. Literally, that's it.) or interesting locations to explore, aside from the occasional hidden passage or hell rift which are themselves entirely homogenous. Basically, I had the feeling of crawling through the streets of a movie set, surrounded by empty plywood facades.
    3. The dramatic, post-apocalyptic world they have advertised is completely undermined by the non-stop, intrusive attempts at "zany" humor by a large percentage of the NPCs. The quests become an endless series of irrelevant pop-culture references and lame, out-of-place jokes that ruin any sense of immersion in the game world. Comic relief should be exactly that: an occasional break from otherwise serious events. When virtually every character is an obnoxious clown or a babbling moron, though, I'm really left without any desire to help them. Imagine if they made Aliens where every character was like Hudson. That's pretty much Hellgate: London. Basically, the NPCs do for this game what Jar Jar Binks did for Episode 1.
    4. I have only played the blademaster class, so I can't speak first-hand about the others. However, in my experience the skills, as others have noted, are boring, shallow, and provide no visceral impact during combat. There's no re-speccing, either, so if you want to experiment with different builds you're forced to start an entirely new character.
    5. The documentation is terribly lacking. This issue takes on particular importance when the function of some skills is not even clear.
    6. Inventory management is extremely intrusive, and breaks the pace of the game. If you intend on picking up most of the items you find, be prepared either to spend a significant amount of time managing your inventory, or to teleport back to base every couple of minutes. Backpack space and storage space are terribly limited, and they actually have the nerve to place extra space among the features available to subscribers.
    7. The game feels just plain sloppy and untested, overall. It is, for example, very easy to become stuck in the level geometry in certain areas with no apparent way to escape.
    I haven't played multiplayer, so I can't say how much that would add to the experience. Personally, I was left with little inclination to retread a game that felt so tedious and lifeless to me the first time through. I will say that it ran reasonably well on my system that was not far above the minimum requirements after the first patch, for whatever that's worth.

I'm not trying to troll or rain on anyone's parade here, but honestly, if I had played the single-player game without having heard any of the pre-release hype, I could easily have mistaken it for a $25 bargain bin title.

That's about how I feel about the game.

I mean, I'm having fun, but unless they make some significant improvements, I doubt I'll play through more than once.

And I don't want to go into a subscriber-system debate, but there's just absolutely no way I could ever see myself paying $10 a month for this game. There's just no justification for paying MMO prices for the multiplayer content this game offers (and you can argue content, but Guild Wars and Diablo II both offer the same "content" for free).

Invisible on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

My feeling is that most of the reviews I've read are actually being generous. As the game currently stands, I'd consider it to be solidly below average, and verging on just plain bad......

Pretty much all that you've said here is valide, I really think this game could have been alot better had a few things been done. An extra month or two in beta, greater testing/more stuff for multiplayers and guilds, and a revision of the inventory system. It really seems they didn't take holiday loot into accountwhich is some that adds way too much crap.
    I think that if the bugs can be sorted and skill trees revisised then this game can be great.
    And by the way multiplayer is the way to play this game, have at least 3 manned the majority of the game so there's no way I would have kept going in single player. It would have been as boring as bat shit.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So Malinor has been feeding his storm elemental some crazy shit. I don't know, Big Macs or something. Perhaps babies? Something that makes elementals large.
    screenshot_000007.jpg

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    And by the way multiplayer is the way to play this game, have at least 3 manned the majority of the game so there's no way I would have kept going in single player. It would have been as boring as bat shit.

I hear ya. I'm only soloing because it's near impossible to get into the guild due to all the bugs (ie, only devoir can invite). And as a blademaster I'm almost at the level where I can't solo stuff any longer.

Echo on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not sure what you mean about the knockback on shield turn. I've got my shield turn at level 3 and it doesn't seem to knockback foes by a noticeable amount (unless they're dead in which case it knocks back their corpses with a bit of a ragdoll effect). As far as the boost on the elemental damage, I believe its based off of the elemental damage on the equipped shield, based on the fact that with my physical damage shield, I haven't yet succeeded in phasing any enemies I've struck with it in the last 5 levels. The boost to stun however, seems to work independently of the shield.

I was actually basing this on a video I saw of guardian gameplay, which of course I can't find now, that seemed to show a significant knockback on several mobs at a time. But if you guys are saying it doesn't, I'll trust that over a video.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So, blademasters and dualwielding. Are both swords considered one single attack with the combined attributes? Because I think I phased three mobs at once with my physical splash cricket bat + direct spectral phantasmal reaper.

Much <3 to that cricket bat. I got it off the first goddamn zombie I killed in the tutorial level, and I took this as a sign of great things to come! I shall treasure it dearly and upgrade it whenever possible!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Some people were asking in Vent about voice overlay, a program that shows who is talking in Vent while you are in game. Here it is. Make sure you put in your name exactly in the "Name" box, no comment. If you must have a comment or put a comment up, you have to change it in VO to match. Click the red button to enable. It won't show up in windows, start your game to see it. Don't install VO with HG:L alt-tabbed. That should do it. Good luck!

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    ExoSlayerExoSlayer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At the moment I would have trouble recommending this game to anyone in this state. Constant crashing and bugs in just about every system of the game (inventory, quests, party UI, guild UI, guild management,). Lack of information on what most of the skills do or how they work and no respeccing, vague and down right perplexing item mods that don't seem consistent made worse by lack of documentation from FFS.

Today they released a patch that was suppose to allow non subscribers to use the Halloween stuff to use the zombots and what not and still cannot use them, but what I did get in my ten minutes of play time was a disconnect a freeze up causing death then when I rezzed the black and white death annimation was stuck on. New issues that I had never encountered introduced in a tiny little patch to enable holiday content that didn't even work!

The worst part is they don't even acknowledge the problems on the forums. A simple message stating that yea there are problems but we are working on them could go a long way. But no in the "State of the game" post he basically states yea the launch went well everyone is enjoying the game, we are working on the subscriptions so you can pay us even more for this.

The game itself is pretty fun it is just bogged down by terrible bugs and an atrocious UI. I seriously want to log i play but I've been stuck on the same quest for days because I crash or disconnect or freeze up on the last step.

ExoSlayer on
    Two air vents, on the roof, that's what the guy was talkin a-SHIT!
    -The D
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Invisible wrote: »
    And I don't want to go into a subscriber-system debate, but there's just absolutely no way I could ever see myself paying $10 a month for this game. There's just no justification for paying MMO prices for the multiplayer content this game offers (and you can argue content, but Guild Wars and Diablo II both offer the same "content" for free).

I admire your desire not to get into a subscriber system debate, but you're way off the mark. Tell me what content Diablo had post-release?

People need to stop looking at this month and whinging that there is no reason to subscribe. Flagship have said, do not subscribe until you think it is worth it; the additional content patches are lined up for a quarterly release schedule. They have said that some of the features they were hoping to get in for release are not there such as the auction houses and mail system, but they are the top priority and will not be relegated to the next content patch (which is in December).

Every single point that has been brought up in this new thread about bugs/problems has already been trodden over and beaten to death in the previous two threads. I know that you might feel frustrated, etc but consider the fact that a whole bunch of people are having fun, despite those problems and have already posted on it to death.

If you haven't played multiplayer you need to try it. As arrogant as it sounds, your opinion on the game and remarks that you don't understand how people can find it enjoyable are basically invalid without having played it like that if you have the capacity to, as this is the main reason a lot of us find it fun and subscription-worthy.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ExoSlayer wrote: »
    The game itself is pretty fun it is just bogged down by terrible bugs and an atrocious UI. I seriously want to log i play but I've been stuck on the same quest for days because I crash or disconnect or freeze up on the last step.

I don't mean to be a prick, but what have you done to try and resolve the crashes on your end?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Is there any way to split stacks of items?

And had anyone else noticed that if you try to combine 2 stacks of the same thing but that combined are grater then one stack, it won't fill up one stack, but just switch them? (ie - I've got a stack of 18 and one of 4. The item only stacks to 20. If I put one stack on the other, instead of making a stack of 20 and leaving me with 2 extras, it simply switches the stack of 18 and 4 around.)

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How do I delete stuff that I can't sell? My stash is filling up with useless blueprints and shit.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You can use the craft machine to split stacks of materials, poorly.

devoir on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Right click - destroy.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It should merge the stacks. :/ Make sure you aren't trying to stack something like basic health paks with Medium health paks.

There is a way to force stacks, but it isn't really efficient. Go to the crafter, find an item that takes a few of the item you want to split. Put your whole stack in the crafter, and it only puts what is needed in the crafter window. Pull those back into your inventory, and you have 2 stacks.

E: beated

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    ExoSlayerExoSlayer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So far I've tried different video drivers including the most up to date and beta drivers, I've got a clean install of vista and ran all updates, I've tried different settings within the game, I've tried it on a different computer. I do technical troubleshooting for a living and based on the 23 pages of threads on the official crash forums I very much doubt the issue is on my end.

ExoSlayer on
    Two air vents, on the roof, that's what the guy was talkin a-SHIT!
    -The D
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pmoney wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »
    I hate hate hate the customer service department already.
    What customer service? I have been unable to patch/play with a ping under 1400-2k since launch. I have gotten absolutely no response, other than call tech support, which after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, hung up on me as it was a minute past quitting time.

I am more than pissed. They are completely ignoring most of the technical support sections on the forum. They asked us DAYS ago to post info about lag, and have yet to respond. Absolutely the worst customer support I have ever dealt with.

Again: I've heard this same complaint about every MMO-type game that I've played. (and regular games too) Yeah, it would be great if they had the staffing and manpower or perhaps learned from other games, but it's really nothing new.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    n00bish wrote: »
    So Malinor has been feeding his storm elemental some crazy shit. I don't know, Big Macs or something. Perhaps babies? Something that makes elementals large.
    screenshot_000007.jpg

Mine randomly gets really big too. What's up with that?

shryke on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    n00bish wrote: »
    screenshot_000007.jpg

Mine randomly gets really big too. What's up with that?

That's the spectral elemental. It "powers" up by growing large and then charging and firing of 3(?) novas upon which it returns to normal size and has to power up again.

narv107 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Spectral gets huge before it detonates its AOE from memory.

devoir on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any talk of them adding respecing in the future....because I really don't want to level multiple characters of the same class.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No.

devoir on
This discussion has been closed.