As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Y: The Last Man

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
Yesterday I began reading Y: The Last Man. I bought the first two trades yesterday, and I loved them so much, I had to go and buy the next two today.
After hearing so many good things about the series, I thought it was about time to check it out. Already, the series is one of my favourites, up there with Preacher, 100 bullets and Transmetropolitan.
I just hope the series stays this great as it progresses along.

Anyone else a fan of the series?

Use spoilers, dudes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am pretty sure most of the people that post here are fans, it's one of my favorite comics of all times. Only a couple issues away from the end now.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I was just reading a bit about it on Wiki and noticed it's very close to the end.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just read #58.

I am so sad inside, man.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I just read #58.

I am so sad inside, man.
    Oh god that last page was so heartbreaking. Fuck you vaughn for making me care this much about a comic book character. fuck you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Y is probably the premiere Vertigo book these days and when it ends in January, there will be a huge gap in the Vertigo lineup that will be hard to replace. I wonder if Vaughn has a follow up creator owned set to take its place or if he will return to more mainstream stuff when his Y duties wrap up. Would love to see Y get some nice hardcover treatment when it wraps up though. Only thing preventing me from picking up the trades right now. Might just buy the trades and get a print company to bind them into hardcovers for me if they dont release any info on it.

I think the series lost a little momentum or magic when it revealed what killed the men though. I think it would have worked better if it left it unknown or only alluded to a number of random things that could have caused it. Still, the series is about the characters first and little things like the plague and why it happened are only backdrops to the incredible characterization and interactions, so its only a minor gripe for me.

One of my favourite things about the series is the self references, for lack of a better term. Stuff like throw away characters showing up later in the series in random situations, like
    the garbage woman super model in issue one. I thought she was there and gone for good, but she shows up much later in the series for a nice throwback that I really enjoyed. Stuff like the wandering performers doing the Last Man on Earth play and eventually a movie later on and finally a comic book about the Last Woman on Earth parodying the book itself's premise.

Little things liek those make the book special to me and serve to draw me in on top of the main characters and their journey. Great book I will definitely miss.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think BKV is cutting back on his comic work to do more TV/movie stuff. Is he even doing any comics right now besides Y and Ex Machina?

Oh he's doing an arc of Buffy, but I'm pretty sure thats it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My wife and I are both big fans. I was turned onto it by this forum and have really enjoyed everything about it except for the newspaper stock the TPBs get printed on. I have never liked the way that feels on my fingers for some reason.
    I'd be tempted to rebuy the whole series in HC form if it was printed on a different type of paper.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm assuming the given reason for the men dying isn't the real one.

Because it's a really sucky reason with gaping logic holes.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    There are 2 issues left, it's the reason. Deal with it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Then I'll just assume we'll never know the real reason. Because if I have to accept that as actual, it puts a serious dampener on my ability to say it's a good series.

Scooter on
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Issue 60: It was all a dream.

Nondoc on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nondoc wrote: »

Issue 60: It was all a comic book.

Works for me~

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Then I'll just assume we'll never know the real reason. Because if I have to accept that as actual, it puts a serious dampener on my ability to say it's a good series.

Agreed.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think you guys are losing sight of the fact that why all the men died isn't really the point of the series.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I think you guys are losing sight of the fact that why all the men died isn't really the point of the series.

Whether it's the "point" of the series or not, the "explanation" is so nonsensical that it detracts from my enjoyment of the series as a whole.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I think BKV is cutting back on his comic work to do more TV/movie stuff. Is he even doing any comics right now besides Y and Ex Machina?

Oh he's doing an arc of Buffy, but I'm pretty sure thats it.

I believe he said that he's done with superheroes for a while, meaning that if he works on more comics, they'll be his own creations.

Which we should probably have seen coming after the Escapists.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    Y is probably the premiere Vertigo book these days and when it ends in January, there will be a huge gap in the Vertigo lineup that will be hard to replace. I wonder if Vaughn has a follow up creator owned set to take its place or if he will return to more mainstream stuff when his Y duties wrap up. Would love to see Y get some nice hardcover treatment when it wraps up though. Only thing preventing me from picking up the trades right now. Might just buy the trades and get a print company to bind them into hardcovers for me if they dont release any info on it.

I think the series lost a little momentum or magic when it revealed what killed the men though. I think it would have worked better if it left it unknown or only alluded to a number of random things that could have caused it. Still, the series is about the characters first and little things like the plague and why it happened are only backdrops to the incredible characterization and interactions, so its only a minor gripe for me.

One of my favourite things about the series is the self references, for lack of a better term. Stuff like throw away characters showing up later in the series in random situations, like
    the garbage woman super model in issue one. I thought she was there and gone for good, but she shows up much later in the series for a nice throwback that I really enjoyed. Stuff like the wandering performers doing the Last Man on Earth play and eventually a movie later on and finally a comic book about the Last Woman on Earth parodying the book itself's premise.

Little things liek those make the book special to me and serve to draw me in on top of the main characters and their journey. Great book I will definitely miss.

you're forgetting fables, its just as good as y

humble on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    humble wrote: »
    KVW wrote: »

you're forgetting fables, its just as good as y

Oh ya, I always forget thats Vertigo and not Image. Ya, that is definitely the top book left with Y ending.

KVW on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ringo wrote: »

Agreed.

He kinda addresses this whole point in the book.
    "As far as answers go it was...vaguely unsatisfying" -Yorick

"Is there any explanation the would have been satisfactory?" -Beth

"Um, Aliens? I also would have accepted witchcraft or anything involving nanobots" -Yorick

"But that's kind of not the point, right?" -Beth

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    And that conversation needs to be spoiler tagged or have the character names removed.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    If only you had the power to do that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Too bad I can't forget the storyline and read it again.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    hahahaha

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ah, sorry. i figured that it didn't really give any information about what actually happened, so i thought it would be fine. my bad.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ok just to clarify what is the exact number of issues the series is ending on. i've been collecting it in trades and trade #9 has come out so will it therefore end on trade 10. anyway here's my opinion of y. it's good but possibly over-hyped. for example i like ex machina a bit more but that might just be my political side talking. anyway i also read he'll be focusing much more on his own creator side because he said he doesn't understand the point of writing about characters that have been used for the last 60 years. i think that is a good move because he is so good at creating series. new things are always great. most over used characters stories are few and far between.

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Okay.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I will get on this series someday.
    Sometimes I wish every long running series was made up of one or two omnibuses.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    silkypea wrote: »
    ok just to clarify what is the exact number of issues the series is ending on. i've been collecting it in trades and trade #9 has come out so will it therefore end on trade 10. anyway here's my opinion of y. it's good but possibly over-hyped. for example i like ex machina a bit more but that might just be my political side talking. anyway i also read he'll be focusing much more on his own creator side because he said he doesn't understand the point of writing about characters that have been used for the last 60 years. i think that is a good move because he is so good at creating series. new things are always great. most over used characters stories are few and far between.

It ends in January with issue 60.

KVW on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just finished reading TPB #5.
    Ampersand's shit?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    secondserkissecondserkis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I agree that the "what caused the plague" is not the whole point of the series; I also think that the "solution" to the mystery that everyone is buying as the official one, is anything but. I mean, BKV gives us so many red herrings, that it really could've been anything. Supernatural, psychosis, w/e. I guess we've already stated as much.

I just really love this series. so much

secondserkis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just finished
    #55-58. Such a sad way to end my reading for the day.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    holy shit at the twist

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ya. Didn't see that coming, was painful.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So got through the first 2 or 3 tpb does it get better or have I got a good feeling for the series? I thought it was alright and might pick it up later but I've been reading Fables in the meantime, you know how it goes.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It gets better

The first 3 are good, though, so I don't know what your problem is, freak.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So what's the significance of the cover to #60? Everyone seems to know what it means but me >_>

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drakeon wrote: »
    So what's the significance of the cover to #60? Everyone seems to know what it means but me >_>
    He's in some sort of cell, confined by a straitjacket, and he has a stuffed toy monkey. Ergo, none of it was real

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    It gets better

The first 3 are good, though, so I don't know what your problem is, freak.

They weren't bad I was just reading other books at the same time so it kind of got put on the back burner.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    He's in some sort of cell, confined by a straitjacket, and he has a stuffed toy monkey. Ergo, none of it was real

Does... does that mean
    they are pulling a St. Elsewhere on us? D:

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Does... does that mean
    they are pulling a St. Elsewhere on us? D:
    It is a cover, so it'll be misleading as to what the twist actually is. Still, mindbending concept.

Fencingsax on