As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey, Podcasts. Are you /good?/

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Jeff was just saying the other day that he doesn't like any of the first 3

Dunno why he'd like 4

I dunno why people always want his opinion on things he's either unfamiliar with or personally dislikes.

Like, I'm not an RTS fan, but I'm not going to go on a podcast and rant about why Starcraft sucks for an hour.

Although, if anyone's looking for this sort of thing, I'm available.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i also think focusing on the RPGs for characterization really undersells how much work is put into non-dialogue character traits for the mario games

like the RPGs add a lot of words to what other games establish, but i wouldn't call it expanding on that work, just giving more of it, if you know what i mean

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    He agreed with the unanimous praising of 2 as GOTY 2009 though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Dunno why he'd like 4

I dunno why people always want his opinion on things he's either unfamiliar with or personally dislikes.

Like, I'm not an RTS fan, but I'm not going to go on a podcast and rant about why Starcraft sucks for an hour.

Giving his opinion on current releases is literally his job though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Dunno why he'd like 4

because he's a critic who studies the medium so his perspective might be interesting, enlightening, or entertaining

I know we live in the internet era of people shitting on things for no reason but the assertion that negative opinions inherently have no value is troubling

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    It's certainly possible to recognize a game's quality without personally liking it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    jeff can very clearly articulate why he dislikes something, which is interesting to hear

if he just said "I don't like this thing because it sucks and is bad" then I would agree with you

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Jeff is kind of GB's grump in chief too.

It makes it exciting when he gets really into something.

sig.gif
  • Options
    and when he does say "because it sucks and is bad" it's because he's on an amazing tear like the NiGHTS rant

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Game Grumps has had a guest doing a play through of shantae and the pirates whatever

That game is embarrasing and the people who made it should feel at least little bad

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    and when he does say "because it sucks and is bad" it's because he's on an amazing tear like the NiGHTS rant

Case in point, I'm watching the first Mario Party Party right now and I just reached his "this isn't a real video game" rant where he begrudgingly admits the game is better than a non-interactive heap of trash and it's hilarious.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I believe Jeff's main complaint about Uncharted has always been "all you do for 40% of the game is hold up and press X"

He really really can't stand the climbing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    He's not exactly wrong about that

I would just argue that holding up and pressing X can be surprisingly fun

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    there's one person on the giant bombcast who cannot articulate when they dislike a game and his name is brad shoemaker

dan's criticisms may not exactly be nuanced but he can defend them

brad's arguments are very evasive and half-baked

• Options
    there's one person on the giant bombcast who cannot articulate when they dislike a game and his name is brad shoemaker

dan's criticisms may not exactly be nuanced but he can defend them

brad's arguments are very evasive and half-baked

also he gets super petulant when someone calls him on it

• Options
    Brad's one of those guys that should really only talk when he's a fan of things

The McElroys are the same way

They all get really snippy and dismissive

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Hey, the Black Tapes is back! They kind of...dialed everything back a bunch from where they were before they went on hiatus, which is probably not the worst call from a narrative standpoint, but it's a little less interesting to have a table setting episode after where they left off, I think

• Options
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Bowser is pretty well developed in the RPGs!

So are Luigi and Peach!

I wonder what Miyamoto thinks about Super Mario RPG now.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    The last podcast recording was lost to the digital void, but from the ashes I emerge with a new (and hopefully improved) recording method. Stickguy joins me in this new recording experiment, as we leave Skype behind to record on Discord. We've got a bunch of anime to talk about, but first we have to gush about the newest Persona 5 footage!

http://shoutengine.com/SouthFigaroPodcast/episode-90-anime-spoilercast-14-flying-witch-re-19223

So that took a significant amount of time to edit, due to Stickguy's voice echoing on my side. Hopefully lowering the volume will keep me from having to do it next time. Synching the audio tracks was easy enough, though I'll need to educate Stickguy on how to clap on synch: if it wasn't for the echo, I wouldn't have known where to actually synch the two tracks together.

Bear in mind, if he's calling in from Australia, there's likely going to be enough call lag that he was clapping in sync with the signal he was receiving.

Yeah, I know how timing works dude!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I realize that, many times, they can't help it; and buying better audio equipment costs money

But sometimes I just want to stick my cohosts in padded isolation chambers

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Yeah that can be really frustrating

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Jeff is fine re: Uncharted 4 in this podcast

I'm with him in that the early stuff feels slow, I just have a lot more time for Uncharted than he does

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    He's not exactly wrong about that

I would just argue that holding up and pressing X can be surprisingly fun

They solved the dilemma about how to make traveling in a straight line from point X to point Y interesting by inserting roughly 10,000 lines of naturalistic quippy dialogue between points X and Y, regardless of the length of that line.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't have a PS4, so who knows when I'll end up playing Uncharted 4, but Uncharted 3 was super disappointing for me. I haven't really dug into reviews for the new one to see if it...really addresses some of the problems I had with 3, because I haven't really...needed to do that yet

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Uncharted 4 was reviewed on NPR yesterday

they liked it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I want to ask about Uncharted 4's story, but I don't want to start up the Uncharted story argument again so I guess I'll just wait till I can rent it.

I'm just worried because I really, really didn't like The Last of Us.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I don't have a PS4, so who knows when I'll end up playing Uncharted 4, but Uncharted 3 was super disappointing for me. I haven't really dug into reviews for the new one to see if it...really addresses some of the problems I had with 3, because I haven't really...needed to do that yet

Uncharted 3 would've been definitively better than 2 if they had more time

They had 18 months and it shows

Meanwhile, Uncharted 4 had 5 years

And it also shows

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    you can't go around saying uncharted 3 came out half a decade ago man. i just about had a panic attack just now

UmPiq.png
  • Options

And it also shows

they made the last of us

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    exist wrote: »
    you can't go around saying uncharted 3 came out half a decade ago man. i just about had a panic attack just now

What if I said Uncharted 1 came out almost a full decade ago

Uncharted 1 came out the same week as Assassin's Creed 1, Mass Effect 1, and Rock Band 1

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

And it also shows

they made the last of us

The entirety of Naughty Dog did not make The Last of Us

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    sure

but the directors of uncharted 4 did

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They also made Uncharted 2.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

For me it was the sudden and jarring difficulty spikes.

I died maybe three times more in Uncharted 3 than I had in previous games. I was playing on Normal, and I still got destroyed at many parts.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Jeff is kind of GB's grump in chief too.

It makes it exciting when he gets really into something.

I was still amazed that Jeff agreed that Splatoon is great, didn't expect him to have fun with that at all.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hey, the Black Tapes is back! They kind of...dialed everything back a bunch from where they were before they went on hiatus, which is probably not the worst call from a narrative standpoint, but it's a little less interesting to have a table setting episode after where they left off, I think

Yeah it definitely felt like a reign in kind of moment. But I wonder if they kind either got themselves stuck on a plot point, or figured out a more clever way to reach another one and kind used the break to calibrate.

The Cheryl tape feels a little like a red herring to me. But we shall see!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    the combat design in uncharted 3 was absolute dogshit

the story was solid, and they built in a lot of really cool things, but holy hell was it a slog to get through at times

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    the combat design in uncharted 3 was absolute dogshit

the story was solid, and they built in a lot of really cool things, but holy hell was it a slog to get through at times

I hate Uncharted 3 specifically due to this

And I LOVED Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3 is one of the only games I've ever permanently ragequit

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    At this rate of quick looks, they should rename the Giant Beastcast to the Giant Spacecast

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.